• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Save Stratics Campaign Discussion Thread

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I noticed that the [BCOLOR=#cccdcd]auction for the website[/BCOLOR] ends in 14 days but the fundraiser thing ends in 16 days. How is that going to work?
Logistically there's a time period between when the auction ends, and the transaction has to be processed via Flippa. There is also a waiting period between when IndieGoGo passes the contributions through to the campaign organizers.

We're aware the final auction price may go above the top amount that we've set for our minimum funding goal in the IndieGoGo campaign, and have coordinated additional sources of "gap funding" as a contingency (ie $10.5k is not necessarily our highest potential bid for the site, but is in the range we've estimated we will likely need to secure via crowdfunding in order to have a competitive chance at beating the final bid.) If the auction, in its final days, starts getting into or slightly above our total pledges on IndieGoGo, the Community will have the opportunity to continue to contribute to the campaign to meet the higher cost -- so we wanted to leave it open for that, even if we've already secured the $10.5 fixed campaign goal and have to dip into our private reserves to make up a gap.

We believe this strategy gives us the best chance to win the auction, without completely tipping our hand to those 3rd-party investors who might be planning to make a final play to outbid us at the last minute by, say $50 over what they think our "final bid" is.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets hope it is enough because the bid is up to $7,050 and it looks like Bidder 1 has auto bid turned on. And I sure as hell it is a real person and not someone just running up the bid as it says that it is a new person.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
While we need all the financial contributions we can get, we recognize and appreciate that not everyone can make a financial contribution. Fortunately, you can show your support in another way too! Please feel free to adopt the signature and/or avatar included in this post. Be sure to link to the campaign underneath it. http://igg.me/at/BringStraticsHome

Also please feel free to use them elsewhere on the internet and spread the word about the campaign. Every little bit helps. Thank you so much for your support!

Attachments

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
While we need all the financial contributions we can get, we recognize and appreciate that not everyone can make a financial contribution. Fortunately, you can show your support in another way too! Please feel free to adopt the signature and/or avatar included in this post.

Also please feel free to use them elsewhere on the internet and spread the word about the campaign. Every little bit helps. Thank you so much for your support!
*cough* I feel very :dunce: right now. I copied the banner and saved it to my hard drive, then uploaded it to Photobucket and linked it to my signature... it looked nice, but when I clicked the banner it took me to Photobucket - not the campaign page. :blushing: How do I get it to link back to the correct site?

Needless to say, I'm not a coder.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
*cough* I feel very :dunce: right now. I copied the banner and saved it to my hard drive, then uploaded it to Photobucket and linked it to my signature... it looked nice, but when I clicked the banner it took me to Photobucket - not the campaign page. :blushing: How do I get it to link back to the correct site?

Needless to say, I'm NOT a coder.
I actually didn't link the image directly to the campaign either. When you set up your signature, just add a link underneath it to this link: http://igg.me/at/BringStraticsHome . Thanks for your support. :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I actually didn't link the image directly to the campaign either. When you set up your signature, just add a link underneath it to this link: http://igg.me/at/BringStraticsHome . Thanks for your support. :)
Thank you so much! :)

Errr... how can I make sure it doesn't go to Photobucket if someone clicks the banner instead of the link I put below? Or do you want me just to upload the banner directly from my hard drive to Stratics instead of using Photobucket?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you so much! :)

Errr... how can I make sure it doesn't go to Photobucket if someone clicks the banner instead of the link I put below? Or do you want me just to upload the banner directly from my hard drive to Stratics instead of using Photobucket?
I'm not really sure about Photobucket. Photobucket and I have never gotten along well. Everyone is welcome to use my Imgur link though: http://i.imgur.com/YmdDhcm.png

goobliin

Visitor
Lets hope it is enough because the bid is up to $7,050 and it looks like Bidder 1 has auto bid turned on. And I sure as hell it is a real person and not someone just running up the bid as it says that it is a new person.
So - what intentions might this mysterios bidder 1 and 2 have ? Does the current gouging make any sense in your sane minds ? Why did the pushing start shortly after you announced your nice crowdfunding campaign, telling the world that you want to pay 10k for it ? Seriously guys - thats all a big farce. The seller has no intention to give this website to someone who is dedicated to your community. He wants to earn a big fat christmas dollar and you just told him how far you are willing to go because you are desperate, thinking you will loose your lovely community. In fact the seller could have talked to the community before and asked you if you are wanting to buy it from him. But he had choosen to AUCTION it at a time where it does not look so good for stratics. Guess what will happen - the price will go up and up and up.. They make you pay an unfairly high price for your own work. The work you spent during the last years and instead of just giving it to you for a FAIR price all they want is a big fat pricetag on it and you are supposed to pay it - or someone else. They see your 10k as given worth now and they can easily push it to that limit. Because it could easily happen that we/you are able to crowdfund the 10k. But what then ? 10k is the new starting price now. Its not the final price anymore. Its a shame how this thing is ruined. I thought about throwing in 3k into the auction myself or giving it to your campaign. But i feel this is a big fat rip-off - squeezing money out of a very small and decent community that is full of nice but desperate people who are afraid of loosing their hobby to some greedy businessman. Speaking about the last point.. think about the current situation :-(

This thing is not worth 10k and we all know this. And most of the people on Flippa are (semi-)experienced businessmen, clever enough to know this too. So why are bids placed 2 weeks before like this? Why did the pushing game start when you announced your price ? We can just assume. But whatever comes to my mind - i dont like the idea and i step back from financing or supporting this. Imho this is too risky and unless you cannot raise much more than 10k you wont win this either because you made them hungry for much more. Anyone could just increase the price now - just to demotivate you and ruin your hopes. This is making me so sad and it even makes me much more sad because none of you seem to realize what is going on here.

Without your help and support this community is worth not more than a few hundred bucks. I have seen Flippa Auctions closing for 10-15k which produced 1-3k monthly in adsense. This thing makes 300 bucks. Well we do not want to earn money from it. We want to conserve the spirit. I see that. But nevertheless, this is not a fair sale in my oppinion. This is <any rude word> the community and most of all - you, the humble senior staff who gives your heartblood to this forum.

Sorry it had to come out - i am having these feelings since days and now when the increased bidding started i am convinced that this is a sad thing.
The crowdfunding idea was nice but it was happening because of desperation. And this is what someone is using against you. You never tell your true budget to the seller.. Never !

Sorry for my thoughts - i wanted to keep this for me but i would feel bad if i wouldnt share my thoughts.

*Rel por*
Michael

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So - what intentions might this mysterios bidder 1 and 2 have ? Does the current gouging make any sense in your sane minds ? Why did the pushing start shortly after you announced your nice crowdfunding campaign, telling the world that you want to pay 10k for it ? Seriously guys - thats all a big farce. The seller has no intention to give this website to someone who is dedicated to your community. He wants to earn a big fat christmas dollar and you just told him how far you are willing to go because you are desperate, thinking you will loose your lovely community.
I have to admit, this thoughts had been in my mind too.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Setting aside other speculations, assuming the bids are all from totally legitimate would-be buyers, it does appear that someone else wants this site very much. I guess we'll find out who before much longer. *sigh*

If our team should lose this, I'm not quite sure what I'll do... if I don't like the new ownership, I'll probably go back to just playing the game and not spend much time here (and will certainly spend no money).

Folks, no one has to empty their bank account... if everyone just gave something, even a few dollars, it would help.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is no way for us to know what anyone else's motivations are in bidding on the site--there is no way for us to even see WHO is bidding on the site. The bids that are up now appear to be automatic bumps from maximum placed bids, and were likely placed before the campaign became public.

While I agree that a public auction was not the ideal format for this exchange, that is where we stand and we are trying to make the best of it. Because the reserve has been met, the owner is now obligated to sell it via the auction. All we can do is try to raise the money to make a bid at this point.

The fundraising goal isn't our top bid price. We have not and will not post that publicly. It's a guesstimate of what we had hoped to get the site for plus associated fees for license transfers, perk items, and other expenses. It is what we hope is a safe number, with some wiggle room both ways if we have some excess or need to cover a gap ourselves.

Remember, if we don't meet our fundraising goal, all the money is automatically returned--and if we DO meet it and still lose the bid we will be manually returning it all and eating the associated fees. We are all taking a risk here, but I think the biggest risk is losing our internet "home" to an investor who doesn't understand or care about the existing community and history or to someone who twists Stratics into something it shouldn't be.

For better or worse, we're all in this together and we need your help and support. Help us keep Stratics in the community!

Ossy

Adventurer
JC The Builder's site made me think of this, and surprised I hadn't before.

What experience does the Stratics staff have beyond running the forums? The guides, databases, maps, etc.. on Stratics.com needs to be updated, fixed and brought back to what it used to be. The wiki idea is good.

So will the Stratics Staff be updating that site if they win or is it just concerned about the forums (which should be the least involved thing, it's a forum, not the hardest thing in the word to manage)?

If there is already a good, and used by the stratics community, wiki guide (which it sounds like there is with uoguide.com), then it seems it would only fracture the already small community to make a competing research.

And 10k or whatever is not worth paying for a forum.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I just have a bad feeling about that auto bidding keep raising the price. I also have to admit, I feel really bad seeing Stratics in a public auction. I always try to believe the best about people but here it looks like it's all about money and Ron don't care what will happen to all "our" history and data, collected of the community and staffs over the years. I would understand selling it to someone who could take over but a public auction, that smell of cold business. I'm really sad and in bad mood.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just have a bad feeling about that auto bidding keep raising the price. I also have to admit, I feel really bad seeing Stratics in a public auction. I always try to believe the best about people but here it looks like it's all about money and Ron don't care what will happen to all "our" history and data, collected of the community and staffs over the years. I would understand selling it to someone who could take over but a public auction, that smell of cold business. I'm really sad and in bad mood.
I am very disappointed as well that it wasn't offered to our community first to purchase before being auctioned off... although not surprised it wasn't given the lack of community involvement in most decisions/changes.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

What experience does the Stratics staff have beyond running the forums? The guides, databases, maps, etc.. on Stratics.com needs to be updated, fixed and brought back to what it used to be. The wiki idea is good.

So will the Stratics Staff be updating that site if they win or is it just concerned about the forums (which should be the least involved thing, it's a forum, not the hardest thing in the word to manage)?

If there is already a good, and used by the stratics community, wiki guide (which it sounds like there is with uoguide.com), then it seems it would only fracture the already small community to make a competing research.

We'll be posting a Q&A today that answers some of those questions, as they've been asked by others in the Community.

Re: UOGuide, as per this post -- the Stratics senior staff have recently had discussions with JC to exchange thoughts about how Stratics and UOGuide could interact more closely. We think there are some exciting possibilities that we're all interested in exploring.

Ultimately, the goal of both parties is to serve the UOCommunity at large, by providing access to the broadest and most in-depth content available. That is the real "win" in any scenario.

Bring Stratics Home

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

I believe for most of us, the value here is subjective. Aside from the information compiled, it includes the community and history of the website.

We will continue to run into this if we have objective owners.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My best wishes to the staff in their attempt to do what they think is best for Stratics. As in all things change is inevitable and being gracious and supportive would be a nice change regardless of personal opinions of any individual staff members. It's a confusing and exciting time, people make snap judgements and are quick to jump to conclusions.

I just hope that the community stands behind the staff and supports them.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am very disappointed as well that it wasn't offered to our community first to purchase before being auctioned off... although not surprised it wasn't given the lack of community involvement in most decisions/changes.
I seriously doubt that Ron Bron thought for a single second that "the community" would want to come together and purchase the site from him.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will be interesting to see how much it sells for this time round.
I think when Ryan Findley sold it to TGN, it went for over 50k, I'm sure it was nearer 100k, with him getting a share of ad revenue for the future.
Mind you this was a time when the site was much busier, with the Lineage 2 site in particular getting a load of ad revenue.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seriously doubt that Ron Bron thought for a single second that "the community" would want to come together and purchase the site from him.
IMHO Ron bought this site for one reason and one reason only, to make money and yet again IMHO Ron put this on an auction site for the same reason. He was not and has never been a UO player so the only vested interest he has in UO is MONEY. He never approached the "community" because he didn't think he would get the cash he think he deserves. Go to that site and look at BIDDER #1, it is an auto bidder and it is a newly created bidder, now why is that. IMHO there are some RED FLAGS here that should be questioned.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will be interesting to see how much it sells for this time round.
I think when Ryan Findley sold it to TGN, it went for over 50k, I'm sure it was nearer 100k, with him getting a share of ad revenue for the future.
Mind you this was a time when the site was much busier, with the Lineage 2 site in particular getting a load of ad revenue.
So how much did Ron pay for this site

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Let's be honest tho, Several of us who expressed interest in it would be new bidders to Flippa too - so not too strange, but I get what you're saying Lord Frodo.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stupid is who stupid does. And it fits some people around here and sadly Stratics all the same as it seems...

(Sorry, someone has to be the the party pooper...) :spider:

I am a Stratics veteran and obviously also a forgotten Staff member (I was active for some years, even Shard Manager, but well... memories), but this farce here has done it for me now.

I will never ever contribute to this farce of "sale" from whoever. You're all sure, that this is not just a clever attempt to sell Stratics for more than its worth?!

There is too much of "coincidence" for my taste of common sense...

Sorry to say, but I'll prefer watch Stratics go down than cheer for some unknown Investor who likes to make profit from thin air, it was the same like one year ago... and look what a surprise, where did it lead us?!

My only hope as of today is that Broadsword opens their own forums!

Goodbye Stratics, it was nice to have you!

:sad4:

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think what appeals to me beyond the joining of Stratics and UOguide, is just longevity. Look at what JC has made and look at how long it has been around and is still around, with updates. I could go into all of the things he has done for the Atlantic community, the game, and the fact that he is a decent human being, but as a person that looks at actions rather than words I am not ashamed to say that I would look forward to a Stratics with him as the head.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We just dropped a lot of information on you guys with that Q/A. Are there any we missed, or new questions? We will continue to update as needed.

I hope our answers demonstrate to you all our commitment to making this succeed. In an ideal world we would have had more time to put this all together, but I think that we've accomplished a lot in a short amount of time and we are continuing to press forward. We want Stratics to be around as a community-first site for years to come, and we hope you will join us on this journey. As always, thank you for your support!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So - what intentions might this mysterios bidder 1 and 2 have ? Does the current gouging make any sense in your sane minds ? Why did the pushing start shortly after you announced your nice crowdfunding campaign, telling the world that you want to pay 10k for it ? Seriously guys - thats all a big farce. The seller has no intention to give this website to someone who is dedicated to your community. He wants to earn a big fat christmas dollar and you just told him how far you are willing to go because you are desperate, thinking you will loose your lovely community. In fact the seller could have talked to the community before and asked you if you are wanting to buy it from him. But he had choosen to AUCTION it at a time where it does not look so good for stratics. Guess what will happen - the price will go up and up and up.. They make you pay an unfairly high price for your own work. The work you spent during the last years and instead of just giving it to you for a FAIR price all they want is a big fat pricetag on it and you are supposed to pay it - or someone else. They see your 10k as given worth now and they can easily push it to that limit. Because it could easily happen that we/you are able to crowdfund the 10k. But what then ? 10k is the new starting price now. Its not the final price anymore. Its a shame how this thing is ruined. I thought about throwing in 3k into the auction myself or giving it to your campaign. But i feel this is a big fat rip-off - squeezing money out of a very small and decent community that is full of nice but desperate people who are afraid of loosing their hobby to some greedy businessman. Speaking about the last point.. think about the current situation :-(

This thing is not worth 10k and we all know this. And most of the people on Flippa are (semi-)experienced businessmen, clever enough to know this too. So why are bids placed 2 weeks before like this? Why did the pushing game start when you announced your price ? We can just assume. But whatever comes to my mind - i dont like the idea and i step back from financing or supporting this. Imho this is too risky and unless you cannot raise much more than 10k you wont win this either because you made them hungry for much more. Anyone could just increase the price now - just to demotivate you and ruin your hopes. This is making me so sad and it even makes me much more sad because none of you seem to realize what is going on here.

Without your help and support this community is worth not more than a few hundred bucks. I have seen Flippa Auctions closing for 10-15k which produced 1-3k monthly in adsense. This thing makes 300 bucks. Well we do not want to earn money from it. We want to conserve the spirit. I see that. But nevertheless, this is not a fair sale in my oppinion. This is <any rude word> the community and most of all - you, the humble senior staff who gives your heartblood to this forum.

Sorry it had to come out - i am having these feelings since days and now when the increased bidding started i am convinced that this is a sad thing.
The crowdfunding idea was nice but it was happening because of desperation. And this is what someone is using against you. You never tell your true budget to the seller.. Never !

Sorry for my thoughts - i wanted to keep this for me but i would feel bad if i wouldnt share my thoughts.

*Rel por*
Michael
:tinhat:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Just a quick reminder. Those who do not like to use PayPal or online payment sites are encouraged to send a check if they prefer. Just send Nexus a private message and he will give you instructions on where to send it. :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Is the auction site having problems tonight? I just checked it and got this:

500 Internal Server Error
nginx/1.1.19​

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will repost my thoughts and observations, though Kirthag will proclaim them as "conspiracy theory". While Stratics is still live in its current condition, you can google search and see for yourself on each of these points.
  • Ron Bron bought this site with he goal of re-vitalizing it and monetizing it.
  • Stratics had an "official" endorsement from EA / UO when he acquired it and enjoyed a cozy and free flowing relationship with the devs of this game, whether Broadsword or EA for years.
  • Within weeks of Ron Bron buying the site, this relationship died, in part I would speculate - due to the fact that he let the site go dark for many days (DAYS, A WEEK, REALLY DUDE?) during a "return to brit" campaign.
  • Once this relationship was lost, there were half hearted attempts to re-establish this relationship that never came to fruition.
  • At this point - if Ron Bron realized what he had (and what he had lost - the official endorsement, the connection to the devs and company) was gone, he could have realized his goal of monetizing the site through the introduction and endorsement of RMT, and would have had nothing to lose. By doing this, he could have monetized (as was his stated goal in the beginning) the site even though it would have been at the detriment of the community in some peoples opinions.
  • None of this occurred and Ron Bron's "free hosting" ran out in September.
  • Within 50 days of his free hosting going away, Ron Bron is selling the site, and evidently did not confer with the community or "senior volunteers" before doing so - causing the mad rush to raise 10.5k via guerrilla methods to try to save it.
Thanks all, if you want to send a check to me, PM me for instructions.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I will repost my thoughts and observations, though Kirthag will proclaim them as "conspiracy theory". While Stratics is still live in its current condition, you can google search and see for yourself on each of these points.
  • Ron Bron bought this site with he goal of re-vitalizing it and monetizing it.
  • Stratics had an "official" endorsement from EA / UO when he acquired it and enjoyed a cozy and free flowing relationship with the devs of this game, whether Broadsword or EA for years.
  • Within weeks of Ron Bron buying the site, this relationship died, in part I would speculate - due to the fact that he let the site go dark for many days (DAYS, A WEEK, REALLY DUDE?) during a "return to brit" campaign.
  • Once this relationship was lost, there were half hearted attempts to re-establish this relationship that never came to fruition.
  • At this point - if Ron Bron realized what he had (and what he had lost - the official endorsement, the connection to the devs and company) was gone, he could have realized his goal of monetizing the site through the introduction and endorsement of RMT, and would have had nothing to lose. By doing this, he could have monetized (as was his stated goal in the beginning) the site even though it would have been at the detriment of the community in some peoples opinions.
  • None of this occurred and Ron Bron's "free hosting" ran out in September.
  • Within 50 days of his free hosting going away, Ron Bron is selling the site, and evidently did not confer with the community or "senior volunteers" before doing so - causing the mad rush to raise 10.5k via guerrilla methods to try to save it.
Thanks all, if you want to send a check to me, PM me for instructions.
Why do you keep doing this?

You're just making trouble because you think you know things.... you don't - so pls stfu.

And I don't have time for you anymore - I hate repetition, it actually shows a person is not fully confident in their knowledge if they need to keep beating their chest about topics (particularly those they know nothing about).

Silly man.