• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Sand??

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
C

Connor_Graham

I've had 2 different people ask me how to mine sand. Thinking logically I tell them you have to read the book obtained from the Garg city then go dig in a sand area with a shovel. Both times I've been told that it doesn't work. Of course, both here on Stratics and also on UOGuide, no guides or essays actually say HOW to dig sand, just that you have to read the book. So the question is, exactly how do you dig it and with what tool?

C

Connor_Graham

She tried that and it said "you can't mine there". I told her to try a different sand spot but that'll have to wait for server up.

C

Connor_Graham

Turns out she had to reread the books. I guess SA cleared out any books that had previously been read.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10 yars gone but problem sill exist.
100 Mining and book "for sand..." from royal city tinker is read.
Tried few places in diferent facet's - all the same "You can't mine there"
upload_2019-9-22_17-23-37.png

Attachments

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Like in the post above, you might try to read another book, it fixed it for them

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are you GM mining? Don't you have to be GM mining to mine stuff other than ore?

Is mining still on the same character that read the book? I've seen people start cursing themselves when they realized they read the book on one character in 2002-2003, but used the early soulstones to transfer the skill, then didn't mine again until the ML or SA changes to some resources (like the large gems used in recipes and imbuing, and the glass & stone items for gargoyles) and forgot it wasn't THAT character that read the books.

And, I've even mined sands in the sandboxes in Umbra (not that much but possible). Is it possible that the area you are mining isn't technically sand (despite being a beach) due to some programming in the past?

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've eaten tha Sand Book at this char after the GM mining transfer to him from SS.
You can see my 100 minig on the screenshoot in my 1 post here.
I also tried the spot in Umra town between Bank and Inn.
Still "You can't mine there".
upload_2019-9-23_23-17-4.png

Last edited:

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading about all the trouble peeps were having mining sand, I went out to the desert with a shovel and my miner that had eaten the book when it first came out........what.....over a decade ago now? I dug up more sand than I used to get. They have increased the frequency with which you are successful mining sand. I was testing whether I needed to eat another sand book but all is well.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As i wrote above this char had eaten the sand book after his got 100 mining from SouStone.
Even more -i tried to eatm one more sand book but got message " ...you already...".

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Set the shovel to mine ore and just go to a visibly sandy spot.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
have you tried the pathways in New Magincia.
I found if you try the beach, that its a lil uneven, but the pathways are flat.