• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire

Osyrys

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi UO community,

I am running a Sampire a while now with the following build, but I feel like there is huge room for improvement, but I didn't seek advice so far.
Please let me know what you think will be an improvement and also please state why.

Running this template at the moment:

Bushido 120
Chivalry 60
Mace Fighting 120
Resisting Spells 120
Necromancy 100
Parrying 120
Tactics 100 (+20 from items to get to 120)

I am using Black Staffs for Whirlwind and War Axe (without shield) for Armor Ignore.
On both weapons I have 1,25s attack speed.
45/45 HCI
62 Base Mana
42/40 LMC
100/100 DI
100/100 LMC
70/70 all resist
20/45 DCI
10/18 HPR
19/30 MR
Using Mace Fighting Mastery III as otherwise only get to 40 HCI and 15 DCI.
Using elemtal weapons with weakness element of enemy as well as super slayer.

I feel like Counterattack doesn't pay off often, even though when I reduce my 20 basic DCI to 0 with Divine Fury. I honor targets as well as activating Enemy of One.

This Character is mainly for Champion Spawns.
Is it worthwile to switch Resisting Spells to Anatomy? How do I compensate the curses in the best way as with 60 Chiv, even though it states 100% Success Chance in Spellbook, does often fail to remove curses.
And why would maybe be Sword better than Mace?
Why do I see people running around with only 60 Parry?
What advantage to I have if I play with Hit Stamina Leech at champs or Bosses in general?
I do not lose stamina, and Hit Stamina Leech doesn't take Stamina from the opponent. So why are people playing with it for PvE? Or what am I doing wrong / do I not consider?

So many questions.
I am able to solo Champs with the above build, but still I feel I am not playing the sampire to his full potential.
Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Osy

Last edited:

Tectop

Journeyman
Hi UO community,

I am running a Sampire a while now with the following build, but I feel like there is huge room for improvement, but I didn't seek advice so far.
Please let me know what you think will be an improvement and also please state why.

Running this template at the moment:

Bushido 120
Chivalry 60
Mace Fighting 120
Resisting Spells 120
Necromancy 100
Parrying 120
Tactics 100 (+20 from items to get to 120)

I am using Black Staffs for Whirlwind and War Axe (without shield) for Armor Ignore.
On both weapons I have 1,25s attack speed.
45/45 HCI
62 Base Mana
42/40 LMC
100/100 DI
100/100 LMC
70/70 all resist
20/45 DCI
10/18 HPR
19/30 MR
Using Mace Fighting Mastery III as otherwise only get to 40 HCI and 15 DCI.
Using elemtal weapons with weakness element of enemy as well as super slayer.

I feel like Counterattack doesn't pay off often, even though when I reduce my 20 basic DCI to 0 with Divine Fury. I honor targets as well as activating Enemy of One.

This Character is mainly for Champion Spawns.
Is it worthwile to switch Resisting Spells to Anatomy? How do I compensate the curses in the best way as with 60 Chiv, even though it states 100% Success Chance in Spellbook, does often fail to remove curses.
And why would maybe be Sword better than Mace?
Why do I see people running around with only 60 Parry?
What advantage to I have if I play with Hit Stamina Leech at champs or Bosses in general?
I do not lose stamina, and Hit Stamina Leech doesn't take Stamina from the opponent. So why are people playing with it for PvE? Or what am I doing wrong / do I not consider?

So many questions.
I am able to solo Champs with the above build, but still I feel I am not playing the sampire to his full potential.
Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Osy
All good questions as I also am in the process of building a swords Sampire and with a very similar template build.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm running 120 swords, bushido, tactics, 100 ana/resist, necro, chiv and 60 parry.

60 parry is only there to reduce special move mana cost by 10 instead of only 5.

I only use 100 resist instead of anatomy when fighting necro casters (blood oath!). normal casters don't really bother me too much with their debuffs. If I get paralyzed I use a trapped chest, if I get cursed I usually don't even bother to remove it and just keep on whacking monsters, if I get mana drained I hit one time and I have enough mana for another whirlwind that will get me back to 100%. I'm running a studded suit with 50-55 lmc, so I don't need a lot of mana per special move.

I used to run 120 chiv and 100 tactics but I am doing significantly more damage with only 100 chiv and 120 tactics. also 120 tactics makes onslaught more effective.

I never used maces but what I like about swords is that you have really hard hitting weapons with just the right special move combinations for spawns and single targets available (dbl axe - whirlwind and dbl strike, bladed staff - ai, daisho - feint and dbl strike). it is rather easy to put together a suit so these weapons will swing at 1.25.

Stamina leech is necessary when you need to make up for stamina loss because you receive hard hits. for example during spawns I don't use stamina leech but I do use it against single boss monsters that hit hard so I will consistently swing at 1.25. with 120 parry and 45 dci you most likely won't be needing stamina leech but with less parry and less dci you will get hit and loose stamina.

All that being said I think your build is solid, especailly in a fel ruleset. With 120 resist and parry you have a good chance at surviving attacks by players, both melee and casters, while still able to do enough damage against monsters.

Osyrys

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
thanks a lot Max, really appreciate your insight and already helped me!
I switched 100 Resist for Anatomy now for Semidar and it felt like cutting through butter dealing up to 180 dmg blows with AI and that was only with 96.5 Anatomy.

But I am still not sure if I want to switch from 120 Parry / 60 Chiv to probably moving 20 points to Anatomy/Resist Spells, 40 Points to Chiv and leave Parry at 60.
How does Counterstrike work with only 60 Parry?

Cheers
Osy

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it works every now and then. I don't see it as essential damage to keep me alive but rather as some nice extra damage whenever it procurs

Osyrys

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
but are you then playing with more than 20 DCI?
Because if it is not essential, you can also go higher with it, right?

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hellos,

I have played lot with Sampires and Paladins. Here is some points of interest:

1) If DCI is 20.. why not refine your resistances to 75,75,75,75,80? (Energy 80 if elf). That gives max resistances with DCI cap 20.
2) For a rule: Use resist spells at chaps but anatomy on ML bosses (Use RS also against necro bosses as Dark Fathers)
3) Enchanted apples are great way to remove curses and blood oath. (No weapon swap needed as with potions)
4) If you use Anatomy 120 then use protection spell from scroll (Last until you are death) to prevent spell fizzles (Remeber Phys recust -15% when build suit)
5) Don't forget max karma and chivlary 120 bonus on divine fury (SSI 15, HCI 15, DI 20 and -10 DCI) last about 25 sec so maybe try parry 60 and chiv 120 build?
6) "On slaught" is SUPER powerful so there is no idea to use mace weapons.
7) You use Evansion and Confidence? If not train to use them!
8) For suit: Put as much as possible skill % to jewerlry. (I run with 720 + 79 skills) So I get;
Swods 120,Tactics 120,Anatomy 120 OR RS 120,Parry 100, Necro 99,Bushido 120, Chivlary 120

Tectop

Journeyman
Hellos,

I have played lot with Sampires and Paladins. Here is some points of interest:

1) If DCI is 20.. why not refine your resistances to 75,75,75,75,80? (Energy 80 if elf). That gives max resistances with DCI cap 20.
2) For a rule: Use resist spells at chaps but anatomy on ML bosses (Use RS also against necro bosses as Dark Fathers)
3) Enchanted apples are great way to remove curses and blood oath. (No weapon swap needed as with potions)
4) If you use Anatomy 120 then use protection spell from scroll (Last until you are death) to prevent spell fizzles (Remeber Phys recust -15% when build suit)
5) Don't forget max karma and chivlary 120 bonus on divine fury (SSI 15, HCI 15, DI 20 and -10 DCI) last about 25 sec so maybe try parry 60 and chiv 120 build?
6) "On slaught" is SUPER powerful so there is no idea to use mace weapons.
7) You use Evansion and Confidence? If not train to use them!
8) For suit: Put as much as possible skill % to jewerlry. (I run with 720 + 79 skills) So I get;
Swods 120,Tactics 120,Anatomy 120 OR RS 120,Parry 100, Necro 99,Bushido 120, Chivlary 120
Great write-up very informative thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but are you then playing with more than 20 DCI?
Because if it is not essential, you can also go higher with it, right?
I play on Siege (no insurance and all fel ruleset) so I am running rather cheap suits with only 31 hci and dci which is totally enough for champ spawns (rat spawns take me 30 minutes from start to finishing looting). As I said my template doesn't require counter attack it is simply nice additional damage that goes off every now and then...