• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Safest Dungeon to Fish In?

D

DVDA

Where is the safest dungeon to fish in?

What i mean by safe, is either minimal spawn, or weak spawn, where you dont have to constantly equip your weapon and unequip your pole....

Or maybe even an area with nothing can hit you and you can get the dungeon quest fish peacefully.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mushroom cave, Ilshenar

2nd is Ice dungeon, if you stay right at the end of the river just past the ogre lords.
There are a couple of safe-ish spots in Shame too.

D

DVDA

Thanks, I didnt realize Mushroom Cave was considered a dungeon and had dungeon fish

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
my favorite spot in the underworld.

It requires having the ability to teleport (which a non-mage can do with scrolls).

Route:
Enter underworld from Fire Island (ride a giant beetle).
Go through the secret doors to the teleporter/flyway that takes you to the spiral down to the abyss.
Now, go back to the flyway on that side.
Down at water level, there is a single square of pavement, between the two waterfalls. Teleport down to the square.
Dismount, and start fishing. Unload into beetle as needed; you can put junk down on the cliff face to north, but it takes practice (I typically put a bag on the cliff facing, then put my footwear into it).
You can fish two spots from there, and you can fit as many as 10 lobster traps around your standing spot if you carefully place them.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spot I use is wind, Theres a few pools at the back.

M

Muu Bin

Spot I use is wind, Theres a few pools at the back.
This is a good spot, but I thought you needed a minimum skill in Magery to enter. And I think that the OP might not have Magery since equipping a weapon was mentioned...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is the safest dungeon to fish in?

Personally, I think that dungeon fishing should NEVER be safe. It should actually be a lot more dangerous than it is now.

Why ?

Because fishing is one of the easiest activities in the game to be scripted (yes, also crabs and lobsters, unfortunately....), and it makes the game totally unfair and unbalanced between fishermen who script and those who do not.

Yes, it is possible to have templates that deal with being attacked even when scripting but it makes it at least a bit more difficult to be scripted thus reducing the impact of scripting on this in game activity.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a good spot, but I thought you needed a minimum skill in Magery to enter. And I think that the OP might not have Magery since equipping a weapon was mentioned...
Ah good point, All my fishermen are mages so never thought twice.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the first I've heard of fishing being scripted, and I've seen no evidence of it when I've been fishing anywhere.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got to level 2 shame on the north side of the bridge at the entrance. Also doom by the ferryman is relatively safe. And here is a nice tip. The blue beetle has some very decent stats. If you train it up it can protect you from any weaker strays that wander in as well as hold lots of fish.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apart from the recall in, where Liches may get to the stairs, the final room with Sudiva in Covetous has absolutely no spawn... as long as you don't attack Sudiva herself that is! But you need to leave the room to recall out again. So I've been fishing in the first part of the river in Shame, just before the bridge with the Air Elementals. Usually I can do a complete backpack of fish from 2 spots by the river and one on the bridge, stack them all back at home, and then just return to the first spot again without being bothered at all.

D

DVDA

Personally, I think that dungeon fishing should NEVER be safe. It should actually be a lot more dangerous than it is now.

Why ?

Because fishing is one of the easiest activities in the game to be scripted (yes, also crabs and lobsters, unfortunately....), and it makes the game totally unfair and unbalanced between fishermen who script and those who do not.

Yes, it is possible to have templates that deal with being attacked even when scripting but it makes it at least a bit more difficult to be scripted thus reducing the impact of scripting on this in game activity.
Based on what I have witness in PvP I have to disagree with this conclusion...making dungeons harder just effect the normal players not the scripters.

I have enough trouble trying to unequip my pole and equip my bow when a serpent pops up (I use windowed mode and its soo small). In a dungeon I will be 300 times slower then those PvP scripts who equip/unequip in a blink of an eye and move in turbo speed.

We are fisherman, we make our living selling fish, not blasting our way through dungeons to find a prime fishing spot

Thanks everyone who offered safe spots, unfortunately I have no magery, would I be able to jewel up to get into wind? Is there a bank in Wind? I havent there since Nightmares were new and cool addition to UO lol

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are fisherman, we make our living selling fish, not blasting our way through dungeons to find a prime fishing spot
I agree. I have a second fisherman with no fighting skill at all. He actually does most of my dungeon fishing in shame lvl 2. He does have gm hiding though. You can hit 4 spots in the shame location without much worry of getting aggro. I can fill up a beetle pretty fast there. If a stray air elemental wanders in, I can lure it off, thump my hiding macro and recall back to the fishing spot.

I use this method a lot when dungeon fishing. There are some very tight spots for a couple of the rare and legendary fish. Fighting whatever is in the area is pointless as it will just re-spawn on top of you. In a few of these places, that isn't a good idea at all. To me a pure fisherman will have to master some sort of aggro control through hiding, stealth, invisibility or bardic skills, plus be well trained to lead spawn off and leave it. You will see just what I mean when you try to fish in the prism of light or the labyrinth.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Based on what I have witness in PvP I have to disagree with this conclusion...making dungeons harder just effect the normal players not the scripters.

This is why I think that getting rid of scripting in Ultima Online should be the # 1 Priority for Developers. Because it makes succesfull Design of the game MUCH harder, IMHO.

Just like it creates so many problems when trying to better design the balance in PvP.

I am convinced that getting rid of scripting and hacking in Ultima Online would make it for a much better game for everyone, non PvPers and PvPers.

Unfortunately, the years go by and we are still here talking about so much cheating in UO that it is depressing.......

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't help feeling that you would enjoy the game so much better if you didn't obsess about scripters.
Report one if you happen to come across one, otherwise just go on with your own gameplay.

D

DVDA

I can't help feeling that you would enjoy the game so much better if you didn't obsess about scripters.
Report one if you happen to come across one, otherwise just go on with your own gameplay.
I have to agree with this, I don't care what others do as long as they don't grief (defined as harass others)

Look on the bright side...the scripters are like Wallmart they harvast so much they bring down the price of everything, so poor folk like us can afford nice items...hell when I first started fishing and I got frustrated trying to catch a specific crab I knew I could find it "fairly" cheap in Luna and that was a good feeling.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks everyone who offered safe spots, unfortunately I have no magery, would I be able to jewel up to get into wind? Is there a bank in Wind? I havent there since Nightmares were new and cool addition to UO lol
No, the best you could do would be 60 (Mark of Travesty, Tome of Lost Knwledge or Grimoire, +15 bracelet and Crystalline Ring).

My suggestion (underworld below the flyway/teleporter by Abyss entrance) requires no magery, just a few teleport scrolls that can be bought from Mage NPCs (some mages sell only level 1 scrolls, some 1-2, some 1-3 and a rare few 1-4). And, of course, it just takes one scroll to get down, and you can recall out (at least, everywhere except SP & Mugen - on those, you'd have to teleport back up, and run out the hard way, or use help-stuck). An elf or gargoyle has a 45% chance of using a teleport scroll, a human about 95%. Scrolls are only used up on success, so it only takes the 1 scroll each trip on the regular shards.

The only spawn you'll encounter are some bloodworms, and (very rarely) a blood elemental, and you can outrun those to the teleporter. Once across or on the river, they can see you, but not target you.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just found out you can use the crystal portal to get there...just say wind mint!

M

Macrophage999

Tera keep fel bridges are spawn free. The one towards the teleporters is usually PK free as well.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's the place I suggested

A. Where you teleport from
B. Where you teleport to
c. 2 spots you can teleport to from B. The one at water level gives you access to another fishing area, while the one at top is where you teleport to, in order to teleport back to A. You can teleport back and forth between B. and c. as needed.

The stuff on the teleporter (south) side can aggro on you, but cannot attack/cast on you from the bridge remains (sorta like how stuff can see you through dungeon walls but can't attack. Nor can you teleport back to the south side.

All it takes for a non-mage are a few Teleport scrolls, and those can be found for sale on some Mage NPCs in towns.

Attachments