• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Runic Re-Forging

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Runic Re-Forging
  • For Stygian Abyss accounts, players may now use Runic Hammers to “re-forge” items
  • Re-Forging requires that the user use a Runic tool near a Soul Forge
  • Soul Forge bonuses DO NOT apply to Runic Re-Forging
  • If a Runic tool is used away from a Soul Forge, or by a non-entitle account, it behaves as a classic Runic crafting tool

Re-Forging Basics
  • Re-Forging requires a non-magical craftable item that is not made from special materials
  • Re-Forging will consume one or more charges from the runic tool to add magical item properties to the item
  • The user choose from a number of options to affect the results of the re-forging
  • Each option selected increases the charges required to perform the action
  • If no options are selected, the tool will add item properties randomly to the item, similarly to classic Runic crafting

The following options affect the result:
  • Powerful Re-Forging: causes the item to have slightly more magical power
  • Structural Re-Forging: causes the item to have more magical power, but the item will be Brittle
  • Fortified Re-Forging: causes the brittle item to have higher durability
  • Fundamental Re-Forging: causes the item to have significantly more magical power, but the item cannot be repaired. Its durability will be increased.
  • Integral Re-Forging: further increases the durability of the “cannot be repaired” item
  • Focused Imbuing: causes the item's magical properties to be fewer and more powerful
  • Concentrated Imbuing allows the item's magical properties to achieve higher maximum values
  • Grand Artifice: guarantees that the resulting item will have one name, either a prefix or a suffix
  • Inspired Artifice: allows you to choose which name will be added to the item.
  • Exalted Artifice: guarantees that the item will have two names, both a prefix and a suffix
  • Sublime Artifice: allows you to choose a name to be added to the item. You must use both Inspired Artifice and Sublime Artifice in conjunction if you wish to choose both names to add to the item

Some options require other options to be set:
  • Fortified Re-Forging requires Structural Re-Forging
  • Integral Re-Forging requires Fundamental Re-Forging
  • Concentrated Imbuing requires Focused Imbuing
  • Inspired Artifice requires Grand Artifice
  • Exalted Artifice required Grand Artifice
  • Sublime Artifice requires Exalted Artifice

Higher-level tools:
  • Have higher budgets for adding item properties
  • Grant more properties
  • Runic tools can be combined together if they are exactly the same type
  • Their charges will be combined into one tool
  • Only works if the resulting tool has 100 or less charges
  • To combine tools, double-click one tool while near a Soul Forge and target the other tool

Additional info that may be useful to some
UO Stratics *New* | Random Loot Generator

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have Soul Forge next to generic smith forge and anvil at my house. Am I forced to move house addons for classic Runic crafting?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have Soul Forge next to generic smith forge and anvil at my house. Am I forced to move house addons for classic Runic crafting?
it appears so I am having same problem

for now i am going to the city forge and making normal items then upgrading at home

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
you can i was clicking the wrong tool my bad

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Of Fortune" package doesn't seem to be available for reforging ANY item.

It's either a bug, or a "feature", or something I'm not doing the right way.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for now you can open the crafting gump from the tool away from all forges then walk next to your forge and anvil. its a pain but it gets around the problem

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try using a lower-level Runic.
Ok, so it works with a Spined Runic Kit and not with the Horned and the Barbed one. I haven't tried the smith tools yet.

Although with the Spined Runic Kit, using the Fortune package, I managed to get some gloves with Luck 150 and nothing else, but also some other gloves with no Luck at all (just EP and RPD, and they still have the suffix "Of Fortune"), which doesn't seem right, unless somehow the "Focused Imbuing" which I had at the same time removed the Luck in the process (tricky one if that is the case!).

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but also some other gloves with no Luck at all (just EP and RPD, and they still have the suffix "Of Fortune"), which doesn't seem right
Hmm, that would appear to be a bit of a bug. If you pick "fortune" it's supposed to guarantee Luck. We'll definitely investigate and fix the issue before live publish.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, that would appear to be a bit of a bug. If you pick "fortune" it's supposed to guarantee Luck. We'll definitely investigate and fix the issue before live publish.
Some follow-up: the same happens with smith tools:
1) The "Fortune" package can only be selected with DC/Shadow/Copper tools, not Bronze+
2) Using any of those tools and selecting both the Luck package and Focus/Concentrated Imbuing results more often than not in no Luck at all (and still the Auspicious name)

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Close or 1 tile away from soul forge using runic tools brings target cursor. Possible to target other runic for combining or item for reforging.

Normal tools works as usual

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't select "of fortune" for leather ex crafted gloves using 15+15 combined BRSK
Even if its 2nd name.
Even using HRSK

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For price of 8 BRSK charges I made
mystic leather gloves of wizardry
5 int
6 mana inc
4 mr
10 lmc
20 lrc
5/11/5/7/7 resists

no penalties, PoF can be applied.
enhanced with barbed leather to 7/12/7/10/11

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using spined kit I made
leather gloves of fortune
8 mana inc
2 ep
4/7/7/6/11

and other gloves
6 stam inc
3/7/24/8/8

no luck?

Finally made 1mr/150 luck piece, imbued 10 lrc (had no time to collect resources) and hope for spined leather enhance possibility.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
the skills are not needed but not sure if they give a bonus? hmm

B

Bishop Cats

bought some normal jester hats from a tailor NPC. i went to reforge them and sometimes it would reforge but the jester hat would stay exactly the same. when i try to reforge it again, it says that item cannot be reforged. out of 6 jester hats this happened to two of them. i would be very angry if i spent 6 or so barbed kit charges and it doesnt change a thing...

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bought some normal jester hats from a tailor NPC. i went to reforge them and sometimes it would reforge but the jester hat would stay exactly the same. when i try to reforge it again, it says that item cannot be reforged. out of 6 jester hats this happened to two of them. i would be very angry if i spent 6 or so barbed kit charges and it doesnt change a thing...
Same like crafting hats or robes using runic kit. Waste of charges

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had the same problem with npc bought gargy metal arms. every now and then it would say it reforged and did nothing to the item.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried a bit arrond only with weapons but i can say it is totally deplaced in the game much too expensive to get a good weapon. And i dont know for example what is better simply craft 10 charges from valorite or verite runic or reforging one item.

The success of Imbuing was to completly kill the random aspect in crafting and it was a good choice, not all random is killed resistance for example drop random on every piece of armor.

I like to see more stuff to imbue, maybe with a big task before you get the special resource or maybe the intigration of the new mods into the current system, but this new system iam skeptic that this brings new fun.

I have nothing to hunt or the same old booring bod system to get it, maybe the way how to get the new stuff should be more attractive, also i think it is a way too complex for me now.

But i havent tested the new bod system yet, so i cant say how this feels and looks, but the ideas in general revamping is good! But i have to say i hope we are able to get a new addon in the future?!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried a bit arrond only with weapons but i can say it is totally deplaced in the game much too expensive to get a good weapon. And i dont know for example what is better simply craft 10 charges from valorite or verite runic or reforging one item.

The success of Imbuing was to completly kill the random aspect in crafting and it was a good choice, not all random is killed resistance for example drop random on every piece of armor.

I like to see more stuff to imbue, maybe with a big task before you get the special resource or maybe the intigration of the new mods into the current system, but this new system iam skeptic that this brings new fun.

I have nothing to hunt or the same old booring bod system to get it, maybe the way how to get the new stuff should be more attractive, also i think it is a way too complex for me now.

But i havent tested the new bod system yet, so i cant say how this feels and looks, but the ideas in general revamping is good! But i have to say i hope we are able to get a new addon in the future?!
for how has been designed, the reforging system seems more for low level tools (up to bronze).
In fact enabling all the options requires 12 charges that would be like burning the whole val hammer for 1 item :D

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this new system, but the menu is very confusing to me. I'm guessing I'll have to print out a cheat sheet until it becomes more familiar. My question is, will there be any reason for using a runic tool as a "classic" tool over using it to reforge? My first impression is that using it as a classic runic tool will still yield a (random) chance of creating a nice item with max properties without any drawbacks. Reforging allows a bit more customization, but you have a chance of drawbacks and will use more runic charges.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like this new system, but the menu is very confusing to me. I'm guessing I'll have to print out a cheat sheet until it becomes more familiar.
The "HELP" button on the reforging menu opens a gump with an explanation of all available options, and you can keep it open next to the reforging gump. You might need a sheet to remember which names you should select to get the desired properties though.

Reforging allows a bit more customization, but you have a chance of drawbacks and will use more runic charges.
With a Valorite Hammer, reforging seems to be nearly always better than classic runic crafting. For example, items reforged with a Valorite hammer always get 6 properties even if you don't use any option on the reforging menu.
Also remember that the drawbacks (Brittle/Cannot repair) are entirely optional, and you can get a customized item with 4 maxed + 2 non-maxed properties with no drawbacks from a Val Hammer (select Powerful+ all Artifice options) at the cost of 6 charges.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like reforging will mainly be used for weapons since low resists will kill most armor items. Else raise the sales of that enhance tool you can buy through Origin.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone think this is too random?

I cant see a major advantage over just using the runic normally tbh.

Id like to see this made so its more controlable. remember if you can put whatever you want on with imbuing why would you risk expensive and (atm) hard to obtain items for a random chance?

I was thinking this was basically the imbuing menu but you click what mods you want then the reforge would randomize the intensity of the mods you chose.

From some of the pieces thrown on the floor and which ive made myself my initial feeling is these items should not be enhancable! things like wooden items especially its going to get really silly otherwise.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The huge difference I have noted for armors is that unlike the classic crafted ones, the reforged parts DO KEEP THE FREE 20 RESISTS you get from except+armslore crafting.

So basically you craft an except part with a normal hammer and normal iron, then reforge it, then optionally you can imbue it, then you can enhance it (obviously with the forged tool of artifacts)

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive had good luck making items with about 4 good mods on them that I can then imbue. (mostly did weapons then added slayers)

Golden runic hammer and toggle on the top option and the bottom 6 options. the items ya get are not brittle or CbR and they usually get around 4 nice mods. So its a good way to get a nice item with unimbuable mods that you can then add to

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have to say overall I'm very unimpressed with runic re-forging.

It still seems totally too random. I just spent about two hours making leather armor and I rarely got close to exactly what I intended. If the properties from the name are broken then maybe that's why.

I'm really disappointed with what you can get, quality and power wise, if you want no negative properties. It's mostly junk.

I'm also no big fan of all the newer magic properties on armor either. Damage eater, casting focus, etc. What the hell was wrong with just stat bonus', regens, LRC, LMC, luck and resists?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone think this is too random?

I cant see a major advantage over just using the runic normally tbh.
Depends on the mod you're trying to add and the strength of the runic. A Dull Copper runic adds only 5% HCI to a weapon when you re-forge with I think 6 or so charges, whereas if you crafted it straight up w/ a Dull Copper you could get up to 15% HCI. However, DCI can't be applied to armor through normal means...so using a Spined Kit to add 4 DCI and say 3 MR to each item can result in some nice mage armor pieces (24 DCI, 18 MR for set of 6).

G

goldenpower

some observations so far from trying to make leather armor:

negatives

can't PoF Structural or Fundamental re-forged items.

Struc = 35
Struc + Fortified = 45
Struc + Fundamental = 75 (can't repair)
Struc + Fort + Fundamental = 85 (can't repair)
Struc + Fort + Fund + Integral = 135 (can't repair)
Fort = 150 (can't repair)
Fort + Integral = 200 (can't repair)

To enhance you will have to spend $8 to get the tool because it's not worth the risk of breaking the item

positives

You get to pick how you want to start off. each leather armor item starts with 35 resists. you can craft a bunch of armor until you get initial resists weighted the way you want.

other observations

I'm still testing the Prefix and Suffix part, but one annoyance is that you can't use them all with a Barbed kit unless you don't pick a name, then it will pick a random name for you and sometimes it seems to apply nothing to the item. definitely buggy and not ready yet.

update: Exquisite /of Quality is completely useless and should just be removed from the game completely. it seems to me it only gives 100% Durability and 70% Lower Requirements. Durability should have been removed from UO way back when BODs came out with PoF. if the item is brittle it doesn't get durability and if it's not you can just PoF and what is lower strength requirement good for? that is a Pre-AOS thing that had to do with Platemail giving more AR rating. you could curse someone and their armor would fall off, that's not an issue anymore. just remove it.

-------------------

I can understand why Vampiric / of the Vampire can't be picked but why does it come up randomly and apply nothing to the leather armor if I don't pick something in Inspired/Sublime?

why can't I pick Tower / of Aegis for leather armor? if I want it I have to risk the random name and possibly get Vampiric or of Quality and getting a crap item and using almost a whole kit to do it

also what if I get Charmed / Alchemy and get Balanced? can't have that on Leather armor so I just get nothing but a name and a confusing look on my face?

Vicious / Of Slaughter seems to give nothing on leather armor.

like I said there are some bugs with the naming or I don't quite understand what they are trying to do. can we get a list of the properties for each Prefix and Suffix and a technical description of what is happening with Focused / Concentrated?

-------------

also there is a UI annoyance where if you pick a name for Inspired, then want to switch that one to Sublime you have to go in Inspired, pick something else, close the tool, double click the tool again, retarget the item, go into Sublime and then pick what you wanted. it's sloppy.

G

goldenpower

Towering / Aegis does not seem to give resists as stated in Pub 73 patch notes. all I am seeing from it is 4% dci given to leather armor

it seems to be Fortified / Defense is giving + resists

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Towering / Aegis does not seem to give resists as stated in Pub 73 patch notes. all I am seeing from it is 4% dci given to leather armor

it seems to be Fortified / Defense is giving + resists
I don't believe the info was actually given in the officially patch notes at all, but yes I think Towering/Aegis has DCI, SoulCharge, and ReactiveParalyze, with the latter two beeing only on shields. And DCI on armor goes up to 5% btw, afaik.

Resists are definately in the Fortified/Defense package, along with the eaters.
It isn't specific to reforging btw, it is the same on Shame's stuff.

I think I have found nearly all mods/package matching, except a few:
- Hit Lighning, Hit Fireball, etc... => maybe part of the Vicious/Slaughter package?
- Reflect Physical Damage => ?
- Night Sight => ?
- Use Best Weapon Skill => ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am currently conducting an experiment. Using a dull copper hammer and 'focused' imbuing I get only 2 properties, one I have set to 'auspicious', therefore the other property is from the other name I've set. I am compiling a list which I will put on the site when finished.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Pjay in that they have added another random creation event. The Dev's should allow the player to select desired properties or deselect undesired properties. Additionally, there should some sort of reforging option on items with magic properties, that when slected, would remove all magic properties. That way, we can get rid of the automatic Damage Increase with exceptional weapons, and I can get rid of Mage Weapon and Luck that is on my 100% poison rune blades :).

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made the list, but it will be subject to ammendment as we get more feedback, for example no shield I re-forged had reactive paralyze on it made with a dull hammer. When I read here that Wizal had made one I went back and tried a gold hammer. UO Stratics *New* | Runic Re-Forging

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "HELP" button on the reforging menu opens a gump with an explanation of all available options, and you can keep it open next to the reforging gump. You might need a sheet to remember which names you should select to get the desired properties though.

With a Valorite Hammer, reforging seems to be nearly always better than classic runic crafting. For example, items reforged with a Valorite hammer always get 6 properties even if you don't use any option on the reforging menu.
Also remember that the drawbacks (Brittle/Cannot repair) are entirely optional, and you can get a customized item with 4 maxed + 2 non-maxed properties with no drawbacks from a Val Hammer (select Powerful+ all Artifice options) at the cost of 6 charges.
Thank you very much for this information. :) Silly question, how do you know when something is selected. There are different colored fonts, but I can't tell when I've selected one of the options. Thanks in advance

Nevermind, I think the property turns green when it's selected.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made the list
I think you forgot LRC for Arcane/Wizardry? Also, not sure if it was noted anywhere but I think some people have asked, and it's interesting because you don't need imbuing for re-forging, just the runic, it seems...will have to test w/o smith though etc., but if all you need is the runic tool, it's interesting...and kills crafters ;P

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks G.v.P. Not sure how I missed copying that from the spreadsheet.
currently you don't need any skill to re-forge.
Unless you're going to re-forge npc bought weapons/armor you will need the skill to craft the base item to start with, not to mention getting the runic kit/hammer.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True...very true. I guess I'm too much of cynic as I recall WBB smithy days when players handed items over for repairs :).

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main issue i have with this is the devs finally start to get the old dungons back to life and they add something like this to remove some people from them.

Id have understood if they had made the runics increased intensity but currently this systems just a crafters version of shame/wrong.

R

RavenWinterHawk

The main issue i have with this is the devs finally start to get the old dungons back to life and they add something like this to remove some people from them.

Id have understood if they had made the runics increased intensity but currently this systems just a crafters version of shame/wrong.
I agree.

You had a reason to hunt. Now you don't really.

Maybe find that perfect noncursed or negative item but once all monsters have new loot. COMMON and turn will go to runics.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not only that but what would you rather do, craft an item with your name on it or get the same item randomly as loot? I guess there could be a divide but I'd imagine most would like the item crafted by their crafter :)

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
?? Can you reforge a looted weapon with no mods but has other then phiz dmg say a 100% fire weapon or cold ext nothing elese no di nothing now and then i find a weapon like that i save to imbue but am curious if i can reforge it aswell??

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if dci is a property that can show up woodland armor? And does it stack if you enhance with heartwood? I've had so little time to this out. Thank you in advance.