• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Runic Atlas .. My eyes!!

Lady Kittie

Meer Ambassador
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
[JUSTIFY]@Kyronix,

Might I make a suggestion to the coloring in the Runic Atlas for all "Malas" Runes? While I do appreciate the book, the coloring of the letters are far too bright for the book background itself. It truly does give me a headache trying to figure out where each Malas rune I placed in there goes. If it could be just a darker color it would be easier to read and more importantly, easier on the eyes.

Thank you kindly![/JUSTIFY]

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Amen. I have trouble with all the colors which I chalk up to my color perception but the only way I can read the Malas runes is to use the gem and highlight them.

Selistrana

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
All Colors should be darker, i startet to check all my Runes to get lesser Runebooks right now i have 41 Runic Atlas and it is a pain for my brain to look at this light fonts. Oh and while the Font's gets darker, i think an option to remove all Runes at once would be nice too.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Untitled.png

I think all colors of text too light in enhanced, another reason I don't use it.
This pic showing runes from malas, tram, tokuno, ter mur, and felucca

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have some issues with these so far...

As the OP said, the colors are aweful in the EC.
Also... Pen of wisdom don't work on them...
And using recall charges at 20 magery from the atlas fizzle everytime. On normal runebooks I can charge recall np, with the atlas... nope =(

Herp!

Journeyman
Simple fix, don't bother changing all the rune name colors... just make the book darker! This is simple, open the png for the book, add 50-60% opacity black layer over it. Fixt. Issue hot fix patch plz thxu kbai! Will take your most remedial employee (maybe someone's dog that comes to the office) about 20s to fix.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Both trolling and discussing moderator actions are against the RoC. This thread has been cleaned up. I suggest that some folks take a moment to reaquaint themselves with the Stratics Rules of Conduct. If you have a concern, use the report feature and/or PM a moderator. Thank you.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Actually, charges for gating would be nice for us folks on Siege who don't have recall or the chiv recall spell...la
Did I hear Rico say that? That would mean, you can't steal the gate scrolls if added to the runebook.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gate scrolls would be an awesome addition to rune books I second and third this. No more dropping your book for a gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
LOL, as if people keep gate scrolls in their packs...la
I do have one in my pack but have been thinking of dropping the 20 magery on my jewelry and start using gate scrolls instead. Problem is, there will be other spells I can't cast with less magery. I think players use LRC instead of using resources for scrolls. It get expensive so they choose a little more magery and no scrolls.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry but how the hell can they release a much awaited item like this atlas without logging into game to make sure the damn thing is usable in both clients.....really? Can they tell us any more simply that they just dont give a crap about our gaming experience? In any other company....head would roll!

I am sorry but will any of them stand up and say...Sorry this is totallly unacceptable??? Of course not!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am sorry but how the hell can they release a much awaited item like this atlas without logging into game to make sure the damn thing is usable in both clients.....really?
It was on TC first, why did the EC users not test it and give feedbacks?
We all love UO and want to keep it alive, if we all help with testing as good we can and RL let us, we can help get the new stuff ready. I know a lot was fixed before it hit the shards but we only have a small group of Devs so we should be happy.
We got new stuff and even when it may not be all done yet, I think we can agree, they did a great job. A new runebook with some errors are not game stopping, we still have the old one, so lets give them time to fix it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Meh, no need to make Siege easier than it is...la
If it would bring more players, I'm all for it. I would wish a little delay, from you cast and to you can target the rune, like when you cast an EV, it take time and you can get interrupted. If you use the recall options from the runebook, there need to be a delay, where you can get interrupted and have to try again. You browsing my backpack sure should interrupt my recall :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know what I can't figure out? Having listened to that Podcast and the Team talk about the EC and how they are going to be doing more things for that I am always surprised when things like this happen and I'm forever asking myself does none of the DEV team ever use the EC? I mean really?

It's my suspicion that they never touch the EC. If they did a whole hell of a lot of stuff would be fixed. Course this brings me to the fact that no matter what they say about how they really play UO..... I don't think they do.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why would they play on the EC? The CC is far superior :) ...la
Whether or not the classic client is superior to the enhanced client is a matter of opinion. The point stands that it should have been tested on both clients before rolling out onto the production servers.

Herp!

Journeyman
Maybe they'll just do like they did with third dawn client? Phase it out and not say a word? I came back after a 5 yr break, wanted to see if they had done anything to even make it playable... CD gave me the option to install and everything, and then I had an icon on my desktop that doesn't work at all(still there, I like to look at it) I play almost ONLY on EC with pincos. Only time for CC is when spawning or something else with loads of monsters and corpses on the screen that lead to awful packet loss and other problems in EC currently. Though if I get back into pvp, which I have been making an alchy macer for, I will probably play that char strictly in CC. There are certain uses for either client for every person.. however, runic atlases are almost worthless in EC currently. I edited the file and it immediately got patched back to what it was.. all I wanted was to put a 50% opacity black layer over the background gump, would have worked like a charm, but NOOOOO changing game files is "ILLEGAL"... it's just 3 damned gumps.. is that too much to ask? Rant over.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was on TC first, why did the EC users not test it and give feedbacks?
We all love UO and want to keep it alive, if we all help with testing as good we can and RL let us, we can help get the new stuff ready. I know a lot was fixed before it hit the shards but we only have a small group of Devs so we should be happy.
We got new stuff and even when it may not be all done yet, I think we can agree, they did a great job. A new runebook with some errors are not game stopping, we still have the old one, so lets give them time to fix it.

Are you actually blaming players for lazy devs releasing crap that you cant even see??? let alone use??? what are you hoping for a job offer?? sounds like you would fit in with the dev team.....take no ownership, complain and blame players for everything!!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are you actually blaming players for lazy devs releasing crap that you cant even see??? let alone use??? what are you hoping for a job offer?? sounds like you would fit in with the dev team.....take no ownership, complain and blame players for everything!!!!
That's right. Don't you know that's ALWAYS been EAs stance. The Player is always to blame and always a liar and always trying to cheat and get something for nothing... give them no quarter!!!!

If the player gets hacked it's their fault, if the player was scammed they are stupid, if the player lost something it surely isn't the fault of faulty coding it's the fault of stupid players trying to do illegal things... etc... EA does NOT take blame!

Herp!

Journeyman
Name 1 mmo where the devs take blame for releasing shyte quality products. It's not possible. WoW does it more and more often as they have turned the game into world of women and children, panda bears and love. Guild wars was so trash at it they had to go f2p. Wildstar, same story as guild wars. I can keep going on and on, I've played damn near every mmo to date, the devs can't cater to everyone. The folks of the stratics forums are a very small player base in comparison to those who actually log in daily and play uo. Keep in mind how many people play this game that do not speak English & therefore do not post on stratics. Or how many people just don't bother with forums like I didn't for the past 6 years that I've been back in this game. They may see us as the 1%, the folks who want a place to complain. Not to say I'm not also complaining about this issue, but really.... they just CAN'T cater to all of us, the game is too big, whether people want to believe it or not. It wouldn't be around if it wasn't profit for the company & enough to pay their staff (programmers and artists be expensive yo)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Name 1 mmo where the devs take blame for releasing shyte quality products. It's not possible. WoW does it more and more often as they have turned the game into world of women and children, panda bears and love. Guild wars was so trash at it they had to go f2p. Wildstar, same story as guild wars. I can keep going on and on, I've played damn near every mmo to date, the devs can't cater to everyone. The folks of the stratics forums are a very small player base in comparison to those who actually log in daily and play uo. Keep in mind how many people play this game that do not speak English & therefore do not post on stratics. Or how many people just don't bother with forums like I didn't for the past 6 years that I've been back in this game. They may see us as the 1%, the folks who want a place to complain. Not to say I'm not also complaining about this issue, but really.... they just CAN'T cater to all of us, the game is too big, whether people want to believe it or not. It wouldn't be around if it wasn't profit for the company & enough to pay their staff (programmers and artists be expensive yo)

I am not asking anyone to cater to us.....I am asking a lazy dev team to get off their collective fat butts and do something as simple as check to see if new content can even be seen or used in the game. How was that not picked up as soon as the coding was done. Do they not test anything? This is beyond comprehension to me and is a perfect example of people who dont really give a crap anymore.....and if that is the case I would rather they just shut it all down and stop screwing with people!

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's right. Don't you know that's ALWAYS been EAs stance. The Player is always to blame and always a liar and always trying to cheat and get something for nothing... give them no quarter!!!!

If the player gets hacked it's their fault, if the player was scammed they are stupid, if the player lost something it surely isn't the fault of faulty coding it's the fault of stupid players trying to do illegal things... etc... EA does NOT take blame!
To be fair, that isn't just EA's stance. Years ago, I got into a lengthy argument with a group of players that said being scammed was the fault of the player and not the game mechanics OR the scammer. I'm surprised I didn't break my keyboard while typing my posts.

But I agree. It's rather disappointing when a company can't own up to errors.

Herp!

Journeyman
To be fair, that isn't just EA's stance. Years ago, I got into a lengthy argument with a group of players that said being scammed was the fault of the player and not the game mechanics OR the scammer. I'm surprised I didn't break my keyboard while typing my posts.

But I agree. It's rather disappointing when a company can't own up to errors.
I'm sure they would own up to their errors... no one is that stupid. Problem is, you, and the rest of us, are posting to forums that they are not forced to be on due to work. This is NOT uo.com. They don't have to come on here at all. If anything, when Kyronix comes on and says, hey x is wrong and we are working on it, that's him doing us a service. You'll notice mesanna hasn't been on in ages. Maybe it's not them, it's us m8. If anything, we should all just petition for a uo.com forum board. That would actually allow for us to complain all we want and they would HAVE to read it. Otherwise, what happens on stratics, just like vegas, stays on stratics. You wanna be heard? Do like I did and report it through every email they allow you to send emails to :D

TL;DR
UO devs are not required to read stratics threads. Wanna be heard? Email em. Enough emails in my inbox titled fix the runic atlas gump would make me wanna do that to end the flow of emails.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Kyronix comes on and says, hey x is wrong and we are working on it, that's him doing us a service. You'll notice mesanna hasn't been on in ages
Both Kyronix and Bleak did read this thread. Who knows, if Mesanna do have an alt login she use to read the forum to get some peace.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sure they would own up to their errors... no one is that stupid. Problem is, you, and the rest of us, are posting to forums that they are not forced to be on due to work. This is NOT uo.com. They don't have to come on here at all. If anything, when Kyronix comes on and says, hey x is wrong and we are working on it, that's him doing us a service. You'll notice mesanna hasn't been on in ages. Maybe it's not them, it's us m8. If anything, we should all just petition for a uo.com forum board. That would actually allow for us to complain all we want and they would HAVE to read it. Otherwise, what happens on stratics, just like vegas, stays on stratics. You wanna be heard? Do like I did and report it through every email they allow you to send emails to :D

TL;DR
UO devs are not required to read stratics threads. Wanna be heard? Email em. Enough emails in my inbox titled fix the runic atlas gump would make me wanna do that to end the flow of emails.
Yes we are well aware of the fact that they don't really come here and aren't obligated to. And we are well aware that they don't like criticism... But ignoring the players isn't the answer either. It's like being an ostrich and sticking your head in the sand. No.... no.... nothing wrong down there. You can't ignore things and hope they go away. Especially if you run a business dependent on subscriptions. If you ignore your paying customers and treat them like yesterdays trash then very soon you won't have any. It decays and dies. If you nurture it like a garden it grows and you can pluck the fruits of your labor. Just saying.

Part of UO's problem is that their Garden has 2 beds. CC and the EC. They are constantly having to till the soil in the CC garden bed and pull weeds... but the EC is more modern and it uses hydroponics... but you can't ignore a hydroponic garden bed either. There are too many plants in the garden beds and not enough caretakers. IMO.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"arent obligated to come here and read"......OMG obviously Years and years of their indifference has programmed you all to believe this crap. We,.. their paying customers, have a legitimate gripe about a huge screw up that is totally unacceptable in a customer service driven industry. Mes should be bending over backwards and thanking RON Bron for giving them a format to receive comments from their customers ( at No cost to broadsword). Again no one is asking Mes, et al to cater to us...we are asking them not to release broken, useless crap! We are asking them to care enough to test basic usability on new content before giving it out. What were they too busy pulling the UO codes off the EA site to avoid sales to actually test out the new content?
In a customer service industry they damn well are obligated to come here and receive fair and accurate feedback from their paying customers!

Herp!

Journeyman
Yes we are well aware of the fact that they don't really come here and aren't obligated to. And we are well aware that they don't like criticism... But ignoring the players isn't the answer either. It's like being an ostrich and sticking your head in the sand. No.... no.... nothing wrong down there. You can't ignore things and hope they go away. Especially if you run a business dependent on subscriptions. If you ignore your paying customers and treat them like yesterdays trash then very soon you won't have any. It decays and dies. If you nurture it like a garden it grows and you can pluck the fruits of your labor. Just saying.

Part of UO's problem is that their Garden has 2 beds. CC and the EC. They are constantly having to till the soil in the CC garden bed and pull weeds... but the EC is more modern and it uses hydroponics... but you can't ignore a hydroponic garden bed either. There are too many plants in the garden beds and not enough caretakers. IMO.
So you're basically saying what I just said... make a uo.com forum, have more staff on hand to watch that for actual bugs and complaints. Problem being, this leads to higher sub costs. Higher sub costs makes even more people cringe than a book that's a little hard to read. Gotta pick your battles and they pick the one that makes 1% of their subscriber base a little angry but we all still pay because we have nostalgic feelings for the game, enjoy the play, or just like getting on and talking to friends from ages ago/making new friends with a common interest, UO. We do not know what goes on in the office, we don't work there. They may be working on a revamp to put the entire game into unity 5 engine, or adding to eodons broken weird looking map, or any number of other things. They may even be trying to figure out how to fix this issue RIGHT NOW. It's a mystery to us. They don't have to tell us anything, to be honest, I enjoy looking at threads and laughing at people complaining about things that aren't actually happening, such as swing and a miss thread, maybe they do too. Some people take enjoyment from customer criticism and complaints. Coming from someone in customer service for the past 15 years, they can only do their best, and their best will never be good enough for some people. If a customer comes in telling me the artwork on my bag of dog food is too much like the other bag in this country but it's not in another country, I don't really give a crap at all. I say "thanks for the info I'll look into it." Then when they leave I laugh with coworkers about how they can't just read the bag and see they are 2 completely different foods, even if white and sky blue do look the same to them... this is what's happening to us now. Someone in the office saw this, said "oh yeah that's a bit hard to read, but when I click the rune it is legible. No problems here!" And this is true. There are no problems really, the world runs on workarounds. I couldn't log in due to something weird on the login screen, my workaround was clicking the >arrow at the bottom of the screen, haven't had an issue since... workaround works, so why fix the problem?

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone in the office saw this, said "oh yeah that's a bit hard to read, but when I click the rune it is legible. No problems here!" And this is true. There are no problems really, the world runs on workarounds. I couldn't log in due to something weird on the login screen, my workaround was clicking the >arrow at the bottom of the screen, haven't had an issue since... workaround works, so why fix the problem?
The fact of the matter is, no workaround should be needed. It should be fixed to accommodate those that use the enhanced client.

Now, for an analogy (which is always a terrible idea, since someone will always find some obscure reason why the analogy doesn't match the point in question, but I'll do it anyway):

You buy a new Ford universal turn signal lights for your Mustang because they dance when the turn signal is on. You had seen them on a Focus and liked the way the lights moved, and since it's supposed to be a universal turn signal, it should work just fine on your Mustang. However, when you put them on your Mustang, you realize that they don't dance. One light comes on. You turn the signal on again and a different bulb lights up. After several attempts, you figure out that in order for the turn signal to function as it should, you have to turn the turn signal off and on repeatedly to get the bulbs to do what they are supposed to do. You call Ford, and they say, "yeah... we knew that problem existed on the Mustangs, but we also knew that by turning them on repeatedly, it would work, so there really isn't a problem."

At the very least, you'd return the turn signal lights. And if upset enough, never buy another Ford.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So it is true. They didn't test recall on a rune book with up to 100 recalls in it.

Herp!

Journeyman
The fact of the matter is, no workaround should be needed. It should be fixed to accommodate those that use the enhanced client.

Now, for an analogy (which is always a terrible idea, since someone will always find some obscure reason why the analogy doesn't match the point in question, but I'll do it anyway):

You buy a new Ford universal turn signal lights for your Mustang because they dance when the turn signal is on. You had seen them on a Focus and liked the way the lights moved, and since it's supposed to be a universal turn signal, it should work just fine on your Mustang. However, when you put them on your Mustang, you realize that they don't dance. One light comes on. You turn the signal on again and a different bulb lights up. After several attempts, you figure out that in order for the turn signal to function as it should, you have to turn the turn signal off and on repeatedly to get the bulbs to do what they are supposed to do. You call Ford, and they say, "yeah... we knew that problem existed on the Mustangs, but we also knew that by turning them on repeatedly, it would work, so there really isn't a problem."

At the very least, you'd return the turn signal lights. And if upset enough, never buy another Ford.
While no workaround SHOULD be needed, we live in a world where workarounds are what we live off of. If my car lights don't dance, I go in and fix the wiring so they do... I shouldn't HAVE to do these things, yet I do. Because that's how America & most of the world is nowadays. Everyone wants instant gratification. Sometimes you just have to give that gratification to yourself by fixing the problem yourself. Sadly, in the case of this rune book, my fix for myself got patched away immediately because changing the game files is illegal in the games eyes. As such a problem cannot be avoided, I have just put my runes in in an order I know very well and can remember. If I can't read it, I click the blue gem & it turns orange so I can. Now... If I was colorblind, I would be complaining hard right now... but again, I could always just use my other rune books. When your game has bugs with login servers, skills that have been around for almost 20 years, and housing system, you look at those as top priority. When those are fixed, you go and fix the little things, such as the artwork on a 3 gump book & the ability to recall using charges from it. What seems so HUGE to everyone here, may be something that is a back burner problem for the devs. They have many other bugs that are actually game breaking to fix before they can dedicate 45 minutes to fixing these 3 gumps to be darker and more legible. And keep in mind, fixing the recall charges may take them anywhere from 5 minutes to 100 days. Sometimes bugs just... can't be figured out that easily. If they took the exact code from recall books, put it in to this atlas, and now it doesn't work, that means they are gonna have to run test after test and try and figure this out. Bugs are not always a thing where you can say "FIX IT NOW" and they can just poof in and fix it. Hell to be honest, fixing the gumps the way I tried may have been game breaking, and that may be why this isn't fixed yet. Maybe changing the color of this book in EC will cause crashes every time you open the book.

Keep in mind also, this game is also most likely written in C basic, almost every programmer now is trained in C# and MAYBE in C++. While they aren't terribly different, C basic is almost like trying to read Aramaic to me who understands C# quite well. The old programmers have left to be replaced by newer, fresh meat, that costs less. That is how economy works. It sucks, but we have to deal with what they have in the office. Even if its just a bunch of dogs and horses that only know C# or worse *shudder* java....