• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Roleplaying

X

xempathy

I was wanting to try out some roleplaying in game. I was hoping someone could point me to a shard/guild that has a strong, established group of role players that are active.

Thanks for any help

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great Lakes is dead for RP. There's a little on Atlantic, but they're all super drama *****s. Europa is good if you can handle the timezone, though I think it's slowed down there lately. I hear good things about Catskills, though I wasn't terribly impressed when I looked around there.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa and Siege are the only two places I know of-of a strong RP community.

I'm not too familiar with Europa's, but Siege's has different types... so, depending on what your looking for depends on where you go. Some RP generally speaking, some RP classes like Orcs, Savages or Thieves... I guess you get the picture.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills actually has a pretty active RP community. Their rules are not too tight, we hold events, we organize something.

During the past weeks, people have been a bit inactive though. I think (and hope) this is due to the summer holidays.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a little on Atlantic, but they're all super drama *****s.
Hahaha. It's funny because it's true.
Europa is good if you can handle the timezone...
And if you can handle there being a hundred insane rules for Absolutely. Everything.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you mean you have to actually rp to rp?

I've really only seen a strong rp community that was anything more than people saying thee, thou, and thy recently on siege. Most shards have some guilds with rp speak but they don't actually rp. keep this in mind. I hear great things about europa though.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My distinct impression is that RP (in the sense of RolePlaying communities) has undergone a general, game-wide decline.

You should look at UOFORUMS.com, the "Ultima Online Guilds & Player Run Towns" section.

Great Lakes has some RP that revolves around Factions. I've read that it's had more "standard" (couldn't think of a better term) RP as well, not sure about now.

My home shard of Lake Superior, once among the top American RP shards, has declined, but is actually still active. Stuff is surely going on, just not on the scale it once was.

Europa....I cannot conceive of a UO where Europa doesn't have the most RP of anywhere on UO.

Chessie had a good amount, I have no idea bout now.

But yeah, go to UOForums.com.

-Galen's player

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you can handle there being a hundred insane rules for Absolutely. Everything.
True that. The Europa RP PVP rules basically amount to a bunch of people wanting to walk out there on a pre-AOS template wearing nothing but GM armor and still be able to win. Bushido guys can't even lightning strike.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There seem to be different opinions here about what a person means by "role-playing".

1) A backstory to whatever you are attempting to do. (we go to war because of XYZ!)

2) playing the game as if the rules were different (non-runic/non-artifact crafted equipment only, no buying items from NPCs, must quit current quest if character dies, no riding in dungeons)

3) trying to look through your character's eyes and do the things the character would do rather than what you as a player would do. (eg: sheering sheep rather than buying cloth, wearing only gear appropriate to the character's culture, making ammends if you accidently harm an NPC)

4) ignore the real world (no out-of-game chat nor talking about rules mechanics)

K

Kiminality

True that. The Europa RP PVP rules basically amount to a bunch of people wanting to walk out there on a pre-AOS template wearing nothing but GM armor and still be able to win. Bushido guys can't even lightning strike.
The actual idea behind the RoE is that anyone can participate, on a relatively even field, regardless of whether they have 50k or 50mil to their name.
Sure, there's imbalances, but RPvP is more skill-based than equipment based.

Being inclusive is better than being exclusive.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There seem to be different opinions here about what a person means by "role-playing".

1) A backstory to whatever you are attempting to do. (we go to war because of XYZ!)

2) playing the game as if the rules were different (non-runic/non-artifact crafted equipment only, no buying items from NPCs, must quit current quest if character dies, no riding in dungeons)

3) trying to look through your character's eyes and do the things the character would do rather than what you as a player would do. (eg: sheering sheep rather than buying cloth, wearing only gear appropriate to the character's culture, making ammends if you accidently harm an NPC)

4) ignore the real world (no out-of-game chat nor talking about rules mechanics)
http://www.uoguide.com/Roleplaying

The most basic definition of roleplaying is, simply, pretending to be your character while you're logged in. And not just being you.

This is harder than it seems, especially when other people are thrown into the equation.

However....Sincere RPers have been able to overcome the obstacles since the dawn of the game....And have managed to remain to be true to their characters and not be jerks out-of-character at the same time. Sadly, for every sincere RPer there's at least one jerk.

-Galen's player

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa is basically a bunch of people that can't adapt after all these years so they have ******** rules.

D

D'Amavir

Europa is basically a bunch of people that can't adapt after all these years so they have ******** rules.

I think it has less to do with adapting and more to do with allowing the most number of people to get involved. You don't have to be a multi billionaire with a fully decked out character to take part in the Europa rp community. I don't see that as retarding the rules but more as a tool used to ensure that they have the largest rp community that they can. Which, coincidently, they do have one of the largest rp communities. Sounds like a winning strategy to me.

K

Kiminality

Can't adapt?
Or have adapted, to the difference in power, as a result of items, between established and new players?

No need to launch into attacks.
If you don't like it, stay away. Simple.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
There are many different valid playstyles in UO and YOU, the player, get to decide which one you want to do. If you do not like the RP rules on your shard, you have the option of not participating, creating your own RP community with it's own rules or moving to another shard.

Just because you do not like a playstyle does not give you the right to trash it.

WildStar

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't adapt?
Or have adapted, to the difference in power, as a result of items, between established and new players?

No need to launch into attacks.
If you don't like it, stay away. Simple.
Meh I look at it as more "I am too lazy to go out and get proper gear so let's gimp everyone to crappy GM armor that a GM mage that is equally geared will tear through and gimp every class so they can't use half their abilities"
New players can gear up fast these days it's not so hard to go to Ilshenar and camp for minors and so on. UO isn't as hard to get started in as people make it out to be, you don't have to cater to the over-casuals and gimp yourself in the process.
It's those rules that make Europa's RP loltastic. A shame the American shards don't have a thriving community anymore cause they are the only ones I'd have considered if I still actively played UO more than logging in once a week at best.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it has less to do with adapting and more to do with allowing the most number of people to get involved. You don't have to be a multi billionaire with a fully decked out character to take part in the Europa rp community. I don't see that as retarding the rules but more as a tool used to ensure that they have the largest rp community that they can. Which, coincidently, they do have one of the largest rp communities. Sounds like a winning strategy to me.
I guess that's a fairly good explanation but I am sure theres more to it. Before Atlantic's community went to hell [which was all drama nothing related to items, even catskills doesn't put these insane limitations and they have fairly good RP], there were some people lobbying for Europa-style rules, which I heavily opposed and got enough support to crush any attempt at that ever happening. I don't have a problem handing "newer" members some minor artifacts and such to help them get started. I mean it's not like it's even hard to get artifacts anymore, or 10th anniversary tokens for the helms and such.
Hell even Dull Copper runics can produce some crazy stuff these days. Or Elf recipies.
My point I guess, is that there is no excuse for complaining about how hard it is to "get on the same page"
Then I read above Samurais can't even lightning strike on Europa? Lol??
And of course the other assorted rules you can't use tribal spears or whatever...

L

Lady_Mina

that the beauty of RP-PvP...it's (real) SKILL based.

RP PvP needs real skill...so in rp-pvp you won't see people with low skills buffing up jewels to save some skillpoints.

And it's not like rp-ers are poor people...
You'd be quite surprised to see how rich some RP-ers are.

RP is just for fun.
RP people have other chars that go champ hunting or to doom...(in case you didn't know that :scholar:)

I think it requires skill to be in an rp guild.
Not only char skills but skill to talk the way they do..

And just to let you know...europeans are known to be the people who adapt the best.
We have people all over europe , speaking all sort of languages...
Yet we all learned to speak english...and RP-ers take it a bit further and teach themself to speak in old-english.

D

D'Amavir

I guess that's a fairly good explanation but I am sure theres more to it. Before Atlantic's community went to hell [which was all drama nothing related to items, even catskills doesn't put these insane limitations and they have fairly good RP], there were some people lobbying for Europa-style rules, which I heavily opposed and got enough support to crush any attempt at that ever happening. I don't have a problem handing "newer" members some minor artifacts and such to help them get started. I mean it's not like it's even hard to get artifacts anymore, or 10th anniversary tokens for the helms and such.
Hell even Dull Copper runics can produce some crazy stuff these days. Or Elf recipies.
And your crushing coincidently ended up with an rp community that admittedly has gone to hell. Europa is strong for a reason, why is it so hard to believe that reason may actually be their ruleset that encourages more opportunities to get involved as opposed to having to spend all your time and gold on gearing up?

I love the Europa restrictions. I wish Cats would move to that ruleset, or something close. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And Europa, while definitely not what it was in UO's heyday, but what is, is doing something right apparently.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And your crushing coincidently ended up with an rp community that admittedly has gone to hell. Europa is strong for a reason, why is it so hard to believe that reason may actually be their ruleset that encourages more opportunities to get involved as opposed to having to spend all your time and gold on gearing up?

I love the Europa restrictions. I wish Cats would move to that ruleset, or something close. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And Europa, while definitely not what it was in UO's heyday, but what is, is doing something right apparently.
Atlantic's RP broke because of Drama. Not items. ATL's always been home to drama *****s, and that was the downfall that started happening even before AOS. But it's a UO thing I guess. Blame items for everything.
If I ever were to come back to UO full time [doubtful cause EA can't manage this game for crap] and if I wanted to RP I'd likely choose Cats or a shard that doesn't have insane restrictions.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sighs*

The worst thing for RP is this weird out-of-character competition between players.

Europa has rules that work for them. I don't like those rules, I find them too restrictive and it works against my "one character and one suit for everything" playstyle.

I was on Europa for several months some years ago. My response to the restrictive rules back then: I didn't participate in the RPed PvP. I was a blue. I was the old "antiques dealer," basically retired warrior who fought monsters to have "antiques" to sell. I witnessed events and participated in events consciously without having much of a major impact. I saw that their community was strong, and vibrant, and lively.

When I returned to UO, my response to the restrictive rules was to not go back to Europa.

Note that in neither instance was my response to trash their community, or their rules, on a message board.

And why? Because their system works for them, and there seemed no good, objective reason to criticize them. All of my criticisms were subjective.

The "real" reason why importing their rules set is not a good idea is that it is their rules set. It emerged from the culture and shared understandings on their shard.

Now if a shard wishes to try and import those rules? Good luck. But I doubt it will work as well as you think it will. Find a system that has emerged from your own culture and shared understandings.

If a shard wishes to not import those rules? Also good luck, but I think you will need it less. Find a system that works for your shard. Find your system.

However, it is beyond inappropriate to come on a message board and trash a system that obviously works for them. Just because it won't work for you, or because you think it won't, doesn't give you the right to trash them for it. Obviously it is working for them. I very rarely, if ever, see them going on message boards and saying "RP on LS sucks because they don't have our rules."

-Galen's player

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My distinct impression is that RP (in the sense of RolePlaying communities) has undergone a general, game-wide decline.

You should look at UOFORUMS.com, the "Ultima Online Guilds & Player Run Towns" section.

Great Lakes has some RP that revolves around Factions. I've read that it's had more "standard" (couldn't think of a better term) RP as well, not sure about now.

My home shard of Lake Superior, once among the top American RP shards, has declined, but is actually still active. Stuff is surely going on, just not on the scale it once was.

Europa....I cannot conceive of a UO where Europa doesn't have the most RP of anywhere on UO.

Chessie had a good amount, I have no idea bout now.

But yeah, go to UOForums.com.

-Galen's player
Great Lakes has more than one RP group.... While Lore Denin and many others may be tied up in Factions the rest of us are not.

Great Lakes RP certainly isn't what it used to be but I think that's good and bad....

It's not dead by any means..... and so long as I am on GL's it will never completely die.

We in the GLRPC do not tell you what skills your character can have (depending on where you join...... Knights will never allow Necromancy)... We don't dictate what arties you wear or have or use....

We do have a few simple rules to follow in regards to Engagement.... However those are for the good of all. Outside of that There are several different groups on GL. We have a group of very strict Knights.... a group of more Centenary style Knights..... a group of dirty Ninja..... and then there is the Triad of Evil.... or when they are around the Temple of Mondain... There have been groups of Drow and groups of orcs, savages, militia, and even vampires..... but many of those have moved on... Some come and go....

While things are defiantly not like they were .... they also aren't dead yet. And I for one am not about to let them die completely.

The choice to Role-play and how you do it is your own.... I will never tell anyone how they "should" run their character.... I will offer advice and suggestions on getting started....

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't mean to stir the pot here, but as a member of the Atlantic Roleplay community, categorizing the majority of the community as being drama queens is a terrible insult to the players who put their time and effort into roleplaying and interacting in character, holding events, and generally promoting fun and enjoyable RP.

I've played on Catskills and Europa, there are just as many drama makers there unfortunately. Roleplay communities tend to draw more drama than normal by nature, and unfortunately there is no roleplay mecca, where everyone interacts in character, avoids drama and conflict, and satisfies all of its members all the time, and anyone who says otherwise isn't telling you the truth.

Here is the simple answer to the OP's question.

Try roleplaying on several shards, and see which community fits your style. Taking some bitter words from ex-Europa RP community members, ex-Atlantic RP community members, ex-Catskills members etc... will only lead to the inevitable conclusion that Stratics posters always tend to come to, and that is that everything sucks and nothing is worth doing in UO. A futile effort in itself.

I've personally played many shards, I love Atlantic RP because of all the time and effort I've expended, and the fun times I've had with the passionate people who play this game. I was impressed with Europa's structure, and how strict and effective they were with keeping their vision of roleplay unified throughout their community. I enjoyed Chesapeake because of the sense of community everyone seemed to have towards each other, and the closeness of it's members. Etc... etc...

Each community will have its good points and bad, and only the individual can decide what's best for them through experiencing the different styles and interacting with the various personalities that make up each community.

I hope this answer helps.

D

D'Amavir

Each community will have its good points and bad, and only the individual can decide what's best for them through experiencing the different styles and interacting with the various personalities that make up each community.

I hope this answer helps.
I can only speak for the shards I have had experience on. Cats has some good rp guilds. Some mediocre rp guilds. Some new to rp guilds that are making an effort to improve. And some rp guilds that honestly couldn't rp their way out of a paper sack. I am sure that most shards will have the same makeup.

Personally, I like the heavy restrictions that Europa guilds use. I started on Cats in 98 and its the only shard I have ever played. However, I have recently created a character or two on Europa just so I can get involved with what they have to offer as well.

Nothing says you can't make a few characters on different shards just to try them out before making a decision. Then once you find a place where you think you will fit in and that matches your own beliefs in regards to rules and such, you can focus your attentions there. Just don't rely on what people on boards tell you about other shards. Atl players dog out Cats players dog out Europa players dog out Atl players. Make the decision based on what you see and what you want to see.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to add something about the criticism of roleplaying on Europa shards:

I consider them very serious and good roleplayers. It isn't something for everyone, but it is pure roleplaying, it is unique, and everyone who is seeking pure roleplaying will have fun there.

I personally find their rules too restrictive; I think roleplaying rules shouldn't constrain the possibilities of the game mechanics too much. The game is balanced as it is, and the items that can be acquired in game should be usable.

Roleplaying rules should be there to

- avoid player griefing
- aid the player community
- help players to give a realistic character to their person or guild

We on Catskills have rules, but they basically prevent player griefing and explain dress code and in-game behavior. They are not restricitve concerning equipment (just where it makes sense; for example: a pirate is not allowed to wear a helmet).

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dol'Gorath said:
Then I read above Samurais can't even lightning strike on Europa? Lol??
Samurai can't use lightning strike, necromancers can't use wither, blah blah blah. Basically a few of the large old guilds who run things all choose to RP hillbilly town guards using warrior templates straight out of Publish 16, and successfully legislate the rules so that they never have to adapt.

The actual RP is top-notch though, so if one can handle the timezome difficulties it's still the shard to go to for roleplay. I think part of it might be that the convoluted rules and gear restrictions keep out all the hardcore PVP smacktards who would otherwise use the RP community as a playground to goof off and frag oranges in between champ spawns.

Lord knows that's what happened to Great Lakes.

It all started going to pot when Bloodline Coven (I think) brought in Atomix to kill the goodguys for them. Atomix wasn't really a roleplayer, he just played along enough to be allowed to kill people. After he wiped out a few five-man "guard patrols" basically solo, the arms race was on and everyone was off to recruit as many Felucca PVP types as possible. I'm pretty sure some of the better ones were being paid.

I can't remember whether Highland Guard went kaput before or after the Atomix thing, but that was really the beginning of the end. Occasionally someone from "the GLRPC" will show up and moan "We're not dead!" like that guy on the corpse-wagon in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but even Atlantic's drama-shattered mess of an RP community is in vastly better shape than the one on Great Lakes.

I don't really know anything about Catskills. A friend of mine tells me she has fun there. If you can't handle the Europa timezone, give Cats a go, I guess. But really, my advice is just to pick whatever shard you like and start talking in character. People will start playing along, and other roleplayers will reveal themselves as such.

D

D'Amavir

I personally find their rules too restrictive; I think roleplaying rules shouldn't constrain the possibilities of the game mechanics too much. The game is balanced as it is, and the items that can be acquired in game should be usable.
UO is balanced as long as you spend a lot of your in game time gearing up your character so you can stand up against all the other geared up characters you might face. heh

I think that's the point of Europa's ruleset. They want to be sure that their members spend most of their time in game actually rp'ing and interacting with other rp'ers instead of grinding away trying to get the latest must have item so they can remain 'balanced' and not become 'gimped'.

But everyone has a right to choose what they want to do in this game, as long as they follow UO's rules. That's why Europa is not for everyone. I think there are enough shards with enough differences in make up so that most people can find a place where they fit in.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive been RPing on atlantic since 98. never had any drama, however the fun is often overwhelming. give it a try.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been RPing on atlantic since 98. never had any drama, however the fun is often overwhelming. give it a try.
Lucky you. I went through the Stormhaven drama. Stormhaven/Orc drama. Stormhaven/Sanctus split, and a ton of other little things that eventually made me not wanna deal with any of it anymore around 2004.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, if we could get all these people piled onto one shard it would make a pretty good RP shard. But everyone would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

"Move my main to Atlantic? But I'm the High Regent Chancellor Potentate of the Four Guys Who Roleplay on Legends! I could never abandon the FGWRL!"

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, if we could get all these people piled onto one shard it would make a pretty good RP shard. But everyone would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

"Move my main to Atlantic? But I'm the High Regent Chancellor Potentate of the Four Guys Who Roleplay on Legends! I could never abandon the FGWRL!"
I'd be far more concerned about culture clash.

Not to mention that this sounds suspiciously like trying to get RPers out of the way.

-Galen's player

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A person who wanted roleplayers "out of the way" wouldn't be coming up with plans, he'd be doing victory laps around Luna. By and large, you just don't see roleplayers, even if you're looking. Even on a shard with a functioning RP community (Europa) all the roleplayers tend to be sequestered away in towns (Trinsic, Cove, Vesper) that normal players never visit.

Me, I just want to find a vampire RP guild that isn't run by a frothing megalomaniac. And doesn't think the entire history of vampire lore begins and ends with their crappy White Wolf sourcebook. But that's just me.

C

Coppelia

Meh I look at it as more "I am too lazy to go out and get proper gear so let's gimp everyone to crappy GM armor that a GM mage that is equally geared will tear through and gimp every class so they can't use half their abilities"
In fact, RPers have characters that are not all involved in RP and a lot of them are Feluccan PvPers. So I don't really know what you're speaking about. Sure there is some nostalgia in these rules, but not frustration not to have top gear.

C

Coppelia

The actual idea behind the RoE is that anyone can participate, on a relatively even field, regardless of whether they have 50k or 50mil to their name.
Sure, there's imbalances, but RPvP is more skill-based than equipment based.

Being inclusive is better than being exclusive.
That leads to the domination of 120 powerscrolls, which are hardly 50k.

C

Coppelia

Samurai can't use lightning strike, necromancers can't use wither, blah blah blah. Basically a few of the large old guilds who run things all choose to RP hillbilly town guards using warrior templates straight out of Publish 16, and successfully legislate the rules so that they never have to adapt.

The actual RP is top-notch though, so if one can handle the timezome difficulties it's still the shard to go to for roleplay. I think part of it might be that the convoluted rules and gear restrictions keep out all the hardcore PVP smacktards who would otherwise use the RP community as a playground to goof off and frag oranges in between champ spawns.
That's basically it. The rules are also there to avoid that someone builds a RP around a template of the month, but rather builds the template according to the RP. That's not always possible to avoid it, as there are better templates for RP-PVP and some people will quickly wrap a RP around it, but it helps.
The goal being to partake and not to win, it's obvious everybody agrees there's no need of the stealth tamers or necro spammers.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's basically it. The rules are also there to avoid that someone builds a RP around a template of the month, but rather builds the template according to the RP. That's not always possible to avoid it, as there are better templates for RP-PVP and some people will quickly wrap a RP around it, but it helps.
The goal being to partake and not to win, it's obvious everybody agrees there's no need of the stealth tamers or necro spammers.
So you limit gear, because "people can't all get it" but yet you limit skills which everyone can get? Lol...
Even before AOS we didn't have all these rules and everyone used magic items like you would not believe and there was very little crying over it.
Guess Europa has a different view on it. Atlantic RP WAS all about conquest and crushing our enemies. Basically it was felucca all out pvp without the looting. And that's what made it fun. Knowing I could pvp and crush enemies in all out warfare but would not be looted.

C

Coppelia

So you limit gear, because "people can't all get it" but yet you limit skills which everyone can get? Lol...
Even before AOS we didn't have all these rules and everyone used magic items like you would not believe and there was very little crying over it.
Guess Europa has a different view on it. Atlantic RP WAS all about conquest and crushing our enemies. Basically it was felucca all out pvp without the looting. And that's what made it fun. Knowing I could pvp and crush enemies in all out warfare but would not be looted.
"lol"? What makes you laugh? You didn't understand the reason of the limit?
Yes, Europa has a different view on RP-PvP. On Europa, RP is about living in an everyday world, with gossip, babbling, hunting, helping each other, and PvP is used as a tool for more interaction. It's definitely not Felucca-bis without the looting. If you're looking for that, Europa RP is not for you indeed. But keep your laughter for yourself, because we're not here to criticize playstyles.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "I wanna PVP but those Yew Fel meanies will loot me!" people are always the death of real RP.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of this thread has degenerated into a debate about RP philosophy. Each shard has its own flavor and community, and what works for one wouldn't work for another. A huge part of roleplaying is finding the right community.

I would say that one universal rule applies: respect. Show OOC respect for people with your actions and storylines and rp combat, and usually you won't have any problems. This doesn't mean there won't be in-character feuds, but if you find you are doing something out of out-of-character anger/frustration/etc., then you may be breaking this rule. A lot of the problems I've seen on my shard come from people disagreeing out-of-character and having it become in-character bickering.

This means, figure out which shards you have a good connection to, and visit a few RP events on them. See if these are people you can respect and spend time with and roleplay with. If they are, congrats.

If you are interested in LS RP visit the uoforums boards for LS or PM me.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"lol"? What makes you laugh? You didn't understand the reason of the limit?
Yes, Europa has a different view on RP-PvP. On Europa, RP is about living in an everyday world, with gossip, babbling, hunting, helping each other, and PvP is used as a tool for more interaction. It's definitely not Felucca-bis without the looting. If you're looking for that, Europa RP is not for you indeed. But keep your laughter for yourself, because we're not here to criticize playstyles.
That's what RP everywhere is, don't make Europa sound like it's the only shard that has storylines and gossip, tea parties, and whatever else happens. I can understand the gear limitations but limiting skills too? Anyone can get them that is just overkill.
I'll just leave it at that argument that different shards have different cultures theres no point further arguing this. My best memories of RP on atlantic were the massive wars we used to have in towns, between orcs, undead etc. When peace talks broke down and different guilds would ally against eachother.
The one time Britain got split into 4 control regions we had to fight over...that was good stuff.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can understand the gear limitations but limiting skills too? Anyone can get them that is just overkill.
Having looked over the ROE for Europa, most of it makes sense. In a world without magical items (no hit chance increase or lower attack or defense chance), the Bushido special Lightning Strike is basically a free 45 Hit Chance item with a minor mana cost. Most warriors try to max out hit chance when using magical gear, so this special isn't that great. In an ROE setting, this changes a lot. Two legendary sword fighters going at each other with no hit chance or defense chance have 50/50 shot at hitting each other. One using this bushido special goes up to ~72%. That's a huge advantage.

I'm personally not a fan of ROE. I have played on a shard were it isn't the norm for so long that it would be problematic to suddenly try to have one. However, I suspect if I had played on Europa all these years, it would be second nature. One problem I have noticed is that such ROE codes do not mention powerscrolls. Powerscrolls are a huge advantage for PvP. While I have managed to get buy with a few elder characters (less used roleplay alts) against legendary folk, it can be problematic at times. Powerscrolls are as much of an investment as armor if not more. I made some fair 70s sets for my guild recently that cost me less than one 120 scroll I needed.

K

Kiminality

Me, I just want to find a vampire RP guild that isn't run by a frothing megalomaniac. And doesn't think the entire history of vampire lore begins and ends with their crappy White Wolf sourcebook. But that's just me.
Actually, wherever you look for vampire lore, there's a plethora of BS.
A note in its favour; at least the WW source books provide a consistent source for lore. Which beats a dozen vampires, all with different background concepts...

That leads to the domination of 120 powerscrolls, which are hardly 50k.
Which is a very accurate point.
I think a ball was dropped, when the use of these wasn't restricted.
A 120's samurai is incredibly difficult to kill, without numbers or skill significantly on your side.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, wherever you look for vampire lore, there's a plethora of BS.
A note in its favour; at least the WW source books provide a consistent source for lore. Which beats a dozen vampires, all with different background concepts...
I like getting one of these White Wolf ******* to talk until they mention Cain, at which point I ask "Who?" Oh, you know, the son of Adam and Eve. "Who?" You know, from the Bible. "This is Sosaria, what the hell is a Bible?" Then suddenly they get real flustered when they realize that none of their lore makes the least bit of sense in the context of the game.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
um ... if one really wanted, one could counter that Lord British was from Earth. Who knows what other worlds moongates have opened into.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except everyone's too much of an egomaniac or a simpleton to ever play that card. No one is ever a drow elf who fell through a moongate, they're a drow from the mysterious underdark that exists under Sosaria in their own little minds and nowhere else. No one is ever a disciple of Cain who crossed over from Earth, they just sort of act like all that Bible-related crap took place in Sosaria.

The implications of which are hilarious, if you really think about it.

D

D'Amavir

Except everyone's too much of an egomaniac or a simpleton to ever play that card. No one is ever a drow elf who fell through a moongate, they're a drow from the mysterious underdark that exists under Sosaria in their own little minds and nowhere else. No one is ever a disciple of Cain who crossed over from Earth, they just sort of act like all that Bible-related crap took place in Sosaria.

The implications of which are hilarious, if you really think about it.
I get your point, and yes, most people try to move their background information into Sosaria as a whole instead of using the 'from a place beyond the moongates'. Like someone already mentioned, our once and future leader, Lord British, was from earth. As was, I believe, the Stranger?

However, I don't really mind it as much as you seem to. I have had some really really good rp encounters with white wolf based vampires (which I love by the way. I was actually a local playtester in a group that was the first Mind's Eye Theater troupe in my town), good rp encounters with vampires from 'earth via the moongates' and good rp encounters with vampires using Sosaria and the undead lore. Each has its good and bad aspects. Just like any other. But on the whole I wouldn't say that one background consept is better than any other.

An exception to that is the overwhelming desire of some people to have their characters be either all powerful godlike beings, demon/vampire/elf/human/dragon hybrids or a combination of both. While I play magic using characters alot, they are, for the most part, 100% human with merits and flaws one could actually find in the real world. Power hungry political types, magic addicted dark mages, bloodthirsty warriors, etc...

The most fun you can have, to me at least, is rp'ing a flawed (magical or mundane) driven but otherwise normal character whose actions are based on his goals instead of being based on how much arse he kicks in pvp or how stacked his 70's resist suit and 100% health drain, 100% mana drain, 100% stam drain weapon are.

I know this wasn't supposed to be a 'talk about rp in general' thread but I figured it fit into what was actually being discussed. :thumbsup:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one is ever a drow elf who fell through a moongate
For the backstory for my guild, I had my main-account characters, born in my looong-running pencil-and-paper RPG world, swept up a storm through a moongate into Sosaria and finding each other over the span of a year or so. All my other characters are students of these six.

They still do not know if being drawn to Sosaria was chance or destiny, whether there is purpose to their presence. Although they will never forget their homeland, Sosaria is now home to them, having passed up the chance to go back.

A

Amathist of PoC

I love to RP but it can be hard finding a group to interact with all the time or to have it fit every occasion. So I am flexible I role play when I feel like it and interact with everyone the same....this can drive some non rpers made but I get a giggle from that.

And always when I stumble on someone who is role-playing I always answer in role-play if for nothing else but to keep it going.

But mainly I write my rp stories out on my guild website some read them and interact others read them and pretty much forget about them straight away.

Did stratics put up the White Stag Inn again - maybe starting there is your best bet to finding other role players.