• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Right or Wrong?

A

Azureal

What with the current climate continuing to heat up of scripters in dungeons, I want to present a small hypothetical...

You grab your melee character, throw a mediocre armor suit on him, capping out physical resist. Equip a slayer weapon suited to a dungeons inhabitants.

Pop that character in the first level of said dungeon, in War mode, then walk away.

The suit you gave him has enough +Str, +HP and Regen to guarantee that unless something crazy happens, he will never die, and never need to heal.

Hes not looting anything.

Perhaps hes doing it for skill gain, perhaps something else.

No scripts, no macros. Nothing. In fact, the account doesnt even have UOAM. The only reason he doesnt idle out and auto-log is the constant flow of spawn.

Are you doing something illegal that could get you banned? Yes its an unattended character, but hes doing nothing to stop himself from being killed.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What with the current climate continuing to heat up of scripters in dungeons, I want to present a small hypothetical...

You grab your melee character, throw a mediocre armor suit on him, capping out physical resist. Equip a slayer weapon suited to a dungeons inhabitants.

Pop that character in the first level of said dungeon, in War mode, then walk away.

The suit you gave him has enough +Str, +HP and Regen to guarantee that unless something crazy happens, he will never die, and never need to heal.

Hes not looting anything.

No scripts, no macros. Nothing. In fact, the account doesnt even have UOAM. The only reason he doesnt idle out and auto-log is the constant flow of spawn.

Are you doing something illegal that could get you banned? Yes its an unattended character, but hes doing nothing to stop himself from being killed.
If a GM is called on you, and you don't respond - you can have action taken.

You aren't supposed to gain skill while not attended from what I understand. Its not really different from shoving a quarter in your keyboard to hit your spirit speak macro.

A

Ash

Technically yes, rules state player has to be attended when char or pet doing anything beneficial including training.

A

Azureal

Ok, second part of my hypothetical.

Theres no skill gain.

How about now?

A

Azureal

For the same reason it is illegal for a red to burn murder counts afk...
A red would need to be performing an action to stop himself from being auto logged out for being idle, thus requiring a macro/assisted program of some kind.

Dont get me wrong, Im not arguing, just getting as much clarification as possible.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing anything other than just standing there afk in-game appears to be illegal.

You can burn off counts by just standing there at a populated location, and not auto-logging because of the constant flow of people. And that seems to be legal. Because you aren't doing anything, just standing there. It's just like going afk at the bank and standing up to take a [common word for urination censored by Stratics filter, which is a lot better than banning the poster for using it!!!] and get a glass of water.

Doing something unattended though? Illegal.

The reason professional scripters get away with this stuff is that their script includes an alarm that goes off when a GM shows up in the journal.

Then they appear and say they are there, just only half paying attention, sorry if I missed you before, etc.

-Galen's player

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Burning counts as a red while afk is illegal? Go take a character with GM spirit speak to Fel Yew gate, you'll usually find a couple of red ghosts there.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Burning counts as a red while afk is illegal? Go take a character with GM spirit speak to Fel Yew gate, you'll usually find a couple of red ghosts there.
If you are doing stuff? Yes, it's considered macroing.

If you're just standing there? No.

Try paging a GM and see how many of the afk reds are moved. None.

Why? Because they are just standing there, they ain't macroing anything.

-Galen's player

A

Azureal

Ok, final part of my hypothetical, I promise :)

Lets say the character is logged in, and being "played". A power outage occurs and the power company tells you that your power wont be on for another 6-8 hours.

The character will stay logged in, right?

And so long as mobs keep coming near him, he'll keep swinging?

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In about 5 minuets your character should auto log out

F

FarukAlazar

Ok, final part of my hypothetical, I promise :)

Lets say the character is logged in, and being "played". A power outage occurs and the power company tells you that your power wont be on for another 6-8 hours.

The character will stay logged in, right?

And so long as mobs keep coming near him, he'll keep swinging?
The connection will drop and the character will auto log.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive always wondered about this.
Don't because I got banned for 3 days back during treasures of tokuno for doing this at an orc spawn.

No scripts or anything of that nature running just an all 70s suit and a soulseeker afk auto defending orcs for all of about 30 minutes and they busted me.

I was pissed because I was under the assumption you could go afk anywhere at any time if no illegal programs were running and not get hit with anything from it. But when I came back and got the email it said I was unattended while my character performed an action and it fell under afk macroing.

A red would need to be performing an action to stop himself from being auto logged out for being idle, thus requiring a macro/assisted program of some kind.

Dont get me wrong, Im not arguing, just getting as much clarification as possible.
That isn't true because the names of incoming players and monsters is enough to keep you logged in as long as the UO client is still running on your computer. Why do you think reds stand an YEW GATE because there are players running all over all the time to keep them logged in. Same for brit and luna banks people afk bank sit all the time there because all the player names floating onto the screen keep them logged in.