• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Riding Fences No More

McIan

Journeyman
“You cannot believe what is happening in Yew,” Vospar reported to Itannar. “There are armed ruffians going door to door extorting and outright stealing from the citizens. They are mostly farmers and the like; they cannot stand much more of this!” His voice rose; the urgent, alarmed tone was not lost on the one to whom he spoke.

For once Itannar was not dressed in his panoply and snow-white robe; his quiver was hanging on the wall; his bows lay idle in a corner of the small living room and he reclined lazily on a plush couch at his home, Saint’s Cross. He did not look slovenly – he would never allow that – but he did appear as if he had nothing planned to do all day. In truth, he considered himself retired from the Warden business. He let the half empty ale bottle slouch at his side.

Vospar Nylam, his brother, had come from Yew with tales of rampant, intentional, criminality ushered in by the new official. The governor was either a madman or a thug, or both. His depredations, if not he himself, must be stopped. Sitting around watching it happen was not an option. “The citizens are paralyzed with fear. They flee indoors before nightfall. Blazing stars, brother, I have seen wild orcs roaming within the city limits!”

“What do you expect me to do about it? We are TWO men and you are not even a full- fledged warrior. We are getting old. My reflexes are not what they used to be. If that maniac can impose his will enough to force out the Royal Britannian Guards, then what chance do we have?!”

Vospar snorted. “He is not THAT powerful! Not yet anyway. And he is attracting powerful enemies. Lord Aedon of Aegis has posted a bounty for his arrest, and others appear to be contriving an underground network to aid the citizens and undermine the governor’s influence and plans.”

“On the other hand, I hear he has invited in pirates, goblins, and who-knows-what-else? Until the king makes a move to stop this, I do not see how any of it can succeed.”

“What has happened to you, brother?! Where is your heart? Where is your love for Yew? It is our home, man! Can you live with yourself sitting idle, “retired”, dining and drinking while brutes run it into the ground?! I am ashamed of you!” Vospar stood up suddenly, his face livid with anger.

Itannar sighed and nodded, curbing his own temper. His brother spoke truth, painful but necessary, truth. “Be seated, brother. Let us talk more. Remind me again of my love for Yew.”

Vospar sat down slowly. Then, in a calm voice, he asked, “Will it matter?”

“It will. Forgive my reticence to engage this. I am no coward, and I do love Yew. If the king will do nothing, then it remains to us and all those who care.”

“There’s the brother I knew,” Vospar stated, smiling.