• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning to UO

Hawkke

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Think im gonna get back into playing again. Just wondering whats the best server currently to start fresh in. I should still have a house on siege and Atlantic but i believe i want to start over from scratch. Been afew years since played. Any advice?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you've got houses on Siege and Atl, it's been a few years since you played ? You've paid your monthly subscriptions for a few years without playing ? And before anyone chimes in with it's not that much money, yeah I'm aware. I just want to understand the mindset.

Hawkke

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah prob about two years, just comes out autodraft never really worried about it much. Its only one account now. When i switched cards someone messaged me my house was in idoc so i just renewed it in case id want to come back. Just thinking now it might be funner to start over.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
nappa, we have a small community, but places to place houses, enough people to ask for help, but not to many that your fighting for spawn.

Nappa is awesome.

Merth

Journeyman
Starting from scratch is pretty boring imo. Better to at least use the resources you already have to get a leg up. Prices have skyrocketed on most things so every little bit helps also my opinion

Hawkke

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Downloading now, kinda excited to return. Guess ill hop on my old char first to run around a bit see if my house is actually still there. Then start a new one.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Siege is a good choice.
I play there as a newish player, and enjoy it, always plenty to do, and achieving little things are actually an achievement - like getting some bandages.

I have everything on production, and often find it hard to be motivated or do anything - but, there is a feel you can play wider content more easily - with 7 characters, more skills, and therefore more content available. But, I often look at my fully developed account, with every template minus a sampire, and think, I cannot actually do any of the game content without a sampire (and I hate sampires so much), that's how it feels. {Although the Devs seem to have been addressing this a bit, and bringing in more content for other playstyles}.
I do enjoy the crafting, but the crafting results have no meaning on production compared to too high end pvm loot which has flooded the market.

Starting from scratch, is in fact an interesting and very fun experience - and it can still be done on Siege - I'm currently doing it myself after being 20 years on production (less time in WoW).
Yes it's hard work, but you are looking to farm millions of gold, which is still possible, rather than platinums on production shards, which is not possible.
I know a lot of players feel they have a lot invested, and feel too tied to make any sort of move.

You can buy yourself into the game on all shards, Production and Siege, but I would not recommend it, you lose the feel of game achievement fast.
Atlantic sure is a crowded shard, there is a lot of life there. Other Production shards do have life also. Europa etc. Some are dead quiet, you may want this.

Some pro's and con's of shards;

Atlantic.
The most casual pvp.
The most crowded/active.
The central marketplace.
The most screwed up economy.
Almost need to buy your way in.
Can train characters and templates up fast, get a wider feel of the content.
A more new school UO. Highly itemised.

Siege.
The most sense of community.
The best run economy.
Less pvp, but could be the best pvp shard if it got the players.
A good marketplace.
Can start from scratch, and get the real feel of the game.
Will need a lot of soulstones, to handle the 1 character thing, and takes a long time to train up under ROT. Lot of players just don't have the patience these days.
Closer to the original version of UO.

There you go, a few of my views.

And even though it may look like it, I'm not promoting one over another, I enjoy production on Europa, and I enjoy Siege, that was me being balanced.

And welcome back by the way, hope you enjoy. :)

Last edited:

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think Siege is a good choice.
I play there as a newish player, and enjoy it, always plenty to do, and achieving little things are actually an achievement - like getting some bandages.

I have everything on production, and often find it hard to be motivated or do anything - but, there is a feel you can play wider content more easily - with 7 characters, more skills, and therefore more content available. But, I often look at my fully developed account, with every template minus a sampire, and think, I cannot actually do any of the game content without a sampire (and I hate sampires so much), that's how it feels. {Although the Devs seem to have been addressing this a bit, and bringing in more content for other playstyles}.
I do enjoy the crafting, but the crafting results have no meaning on production compared to too high end pvm loot which has flooded the market.

Starting from scratch, is in fact an interesting and very fun experience - and it can still be done on Siege - I'm currently doing it myself after being 20 years on production (less time in WoW).
Yes it's hard work, but you are looking to farm millions of gold, which is still possible, rather than platinums on production shards, which is not possible.
I know a lot of players feel they have a lot invested, and feel too tied to make any sort of move.

You can buy yourself into the game on all shards, Production and Siege, but I would not recommend it, you lose the feel of game achievement fast.
Atlantic sure is a crowded shard, there is a lot of life there. Other Production shards do have life also. Europa etc. Some are dead quiet, you may want this.

Some pro's and con's of shards;

Atlantic.
The most casual pvp.
The most crowded/active.
The central marketplace.
The most screwed up economy.
Almost need to buy your way in.
Can train characters and templates up fast, get a wider feel of the content.
A more new school UO. Highly itemised.

Siege.
The most sense of community.
The best run economy.
Less pvp, but could be the best pvp shard if it got the players.
A good marketplace.
Can start from scratch, and get the real feel of the game.
Will need a lot of soulstones, to handle the 1 character thing, and takes a long time to train up under ROT. Lot of players just don't have the patience these days.
Closer to the original version of UO.

There you go, a few of my views.

And even though it may look like it, I'm not promoting one over another, I enjoy production on Europa, and I enjoy Siege, that was me being balanced.

And welcome back by the way, hope you enjoy. :)
Very well put - one other thing that Siege does well is it has a really good EM and there are plenty of events that are fun to attend and you don't get any Xsharders mucking things up (only murderers...). Assuming Kincaid is still there that is.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome back. Great Lakes still has a reasonably healthy population..not as packed as Atlantic. Easy to find an 18 by 18 spot.

Last edited:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
- Siege is fun, the NPCs hate you instead of the other players hating you.
- Atlantic is always full, top dollar for the goods you sell
- The other shards have small communities which are fantastic, you just have to put up with all the resource bots farming to bring it all back to Atlantic

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
- Siege is fun, the NPCs hate you instead of the other players hating you.
- Atlantic is always full, top dollar for the goods you sell
- The other shards have small communities which are fantastic, you just have to put up with all the resource bots farming to bring it all back to Atlantic
What bots are you talking about? I live on one of the shards other than Atl and I haven't seen a resource bot in YEARS.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Talking about returning to Ultima Online, are there Guides to help oout players with an older, outdated way of playing and inform them of "how" is the "current" way of playing the game now ?

Like, what items are usefull, what are now no longer usefull, what Template to build etc. etc.

For example, Years back a Sampire was common to see, but nowdays ?

Tamers were not that usefull Years back but now that Pets can be trained up, are things different and is taming more usefull ?

What pets are now better then others considering their training as possible ?

Bottom line is, what type of gameplay is now more succesfull as compared to the past ?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Welcome back popps.
+Sampires and warrior types are still highly favored. Read the Warrior Thread in forum, specifically the "new sampire" and "modern sampire" parts. These are highly item dependent templates, but can start gradually and build one with time. Nice to have a blacksmith/tailor/imbuer crafter type also to get you going.

+Tamers are very time intensive, but fun to work with. If you decide on a tamer, you may want and advanced char token to get taming/lore to 90 from the beginning, then use a animal taming primer 1 or 3 if you can get one, and use the Taming Masteries to gain, or you will grow old trying to train animal taming/lore.

+Pets : Are many now and you can train a chicken to fight some incredible things. Lots of people go with Cu-Sidhe's, WW, several different new drakes, several different beetles, including the old beetles that now can train to be awesome. Type of pet you will prefer or best, is depending on what type of damage you want to do (Cold?Fire?Energy?Physical?) and what specials or magics you want it to have, and the tamer template you will be using. By the way : Pets have been hugely nerfed for PVP. So best pet depends..is the right answer.
=There are people that have done phenomenal work documenting the new taming, look up their posts: @Pawain, @Khaelor, @Khyro, and @Donavon who also has posted on Bane Dragons - a rare non-spawning pet. @Khaelor has made a website with a link in his posts, with mechanics of pet training/specialization. Many others have tested pets, and the Tamer Forum is active. But remember : Always check the DATE when the posts were made, as things have changed.

+The main guide for the game now is really STRATICS. Just look at the threads, but pay attention to the DATE of the post, and look for updated info. The new taming has gone through a lot of changes and tweaks, so a complete one-time document was not possible, and things are still changing hopefully to the better.

+Also : The people in this forum are fantastic in providing extremely useful and courteous info, about anything in the game. So feel free to ask, any time.

+Type of gameplay depends on you mostly, and what you consider success. Most of us have success in just having some fun really, a distraction from a busy stessful real life. People in game do 10000 different things, depending what they like/enjoy: crafting, mining, collecting, dungeon-crawling, planting flowers/gardening, creating fantastic color dyes out flowers clippings, fishing, boating, T-hunting, spawns in fel or elsewhere, team-playing, solo playing, PVPing, PKing, stealing, Cooking, Collecting rare or semi-rare items or pets, spamming crap on Atlantic general chat........etc.

You kind of have to think of the type of gameplay YOU like. If you like fighter gameplay, lots of people would recommend tings and help you build it. As a recent example, the new event "Khaldune" treasures etc, Sampires are probably the most successful, esp Swordsman types due to the WW with Fire Area etc weapons, and Consecrate Weapon. Paladins saw a return last year but with UBER gear, and now people like the "Modern Sampire" that also has UBER gear necessary.

Sorry for the long post, but that was a loaded question..

Also if you really come back to the game, and want to train a tamer, me and many other people here would be glad to help you with gear, and get pets for you etc. Just ask here..

GL and welcome back..