• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning tamer needs help picking a pet and pet template for champ spawns

Gellor

Visitor
I am a returning player with a 'classic' disco tamer template(120 vet and lore). My goal is raw damage of the pet. I will use a combo of vet and magic to heal the pet. I will have discord to help a bit on lowering damage taken and increase damage dealt.

I am hoping someone will help recommend a base pet for doing champ spawns. My stable has a 2 slot nightmare, a cu, a dragon, a greater dragon, and a hiryu. I'm not sure any of them are worth much for spawns now days. Back in the day, I'd use the cu, hiryu, and greater dragon. If not a single pet, give your top two and what spawn.

From that base pet, what specials and scrolls do I need to consider? I believe that 120 wrest and tacts would be a good start on scrolls... anat seems like a good idea for raw damage. What specials do I need to consider for raw damage?

Last edited:

Telchar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi,I was in the same boat a few years ago at the time I was told an AI/Chiv Cu was the best all round choice for starting out (or restarting). I had a friend who walked me through the steps and I got her trained. I have never regreted that choice. A great all round pet that you can ride.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
You don't need discord much during champ spawns. If you want to discord champion , then have Discord on second account you use for Justice invoking (you have it , right?).
Pet better be a Cu : they are available for taming at any time.
Or you can do first 3 levels with a sampire for better speed , then park sampire (use her for Justice ) and do last round with your a disco tamer. Or do everything with sampire and use tamer for discoing champion and sampire/swampy resurrection. This way any pet will be ok.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m not sure there is a simple answer to that question, champ spawns vary pretty drastically. What might be the best for a Piper spawn is very different from a Semidar spawn.

Some sort of AoE is generally great for low levels, but can leave the pet less effective for advanced levels or the champ.

If I were to try and narrow it down to a single pet to be used at all of them, based solely on the pets killing power and a single discord tamer, I would go with an AI/Chiv Triton with either Goo or FWW. You’ll need to use extra care at higher levels when the pet uses EoO.

Gellor

Visitor
I guess I should rephase my question a little bit. I meant best pet for the end. I mentioned discord and my healing methods to imply I'd rather not waste time/points on putting similar capability on the pet. I'm leaving some 'irrelevant' details out.

It seems like in general resists and stats are pretty boiler plate no matter the pet... as are a couple of skills like 20 wrestling(need to be able to hit)

AI(armor ignore) seems like a given so as to bypass champ specific resists. I haven't looked into pet AI but will a pet spam AI if it has available mana?

I'm not familiar with Goo or FWW... what are those short for?

Somewhat on topic: Is there a "pet" ability wiki that details how pets will use skills/abilities?

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess I should rephase my question a little bit. I meant best pet for the end. I mentioned discord and my healing methods to imply I'd rather not waste time/points on putting similar capability on the pet. I'm leaving some 'irrelevant' details out.

It seems like in general resists and stats are pretty boiler plate no matter the pet... as are a couple of skills like 20 wrestling(need to be able to hit)

AI(armor ignore) seems like a given so as to bypass champ specific resists. I haven't looked into pet AI but will a pet spam AI if it has available mana?

I'm not familiar with Goo or FWW... what are those short for?

Somewhat on topic: Is there a "pet" ability wiki that details how pets will use skills/abilities?
For the most part you are correct, stat and resistance distribution tends to be fairly uniform unless you are building a specialized pet for a particular encounter.

This website is great for pet (and lots of other) information.

Essence of Goo is one of the AoE abilities which functions like an AoE spell. Frenzied Whirlwind acts similarly to the Whirlwind weapon special allows hits on multiple adjacent targets or multiple hits on a single target.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For the most part you are correct, stat and resistance distribution tends to be fairly uniform unless you are building a specialized pet for a particular encounter.

This website is great for pet (and lots of other) information.

Essence of Goo is one of the AoE abilities which functions like an AoE spell. Frenzied Whirlwind acts similarly to the Whirlwind weapon special allows hits on multiple adjacent targets or multiple hits on a single target.
Goo just to sporadic often causing your pet to run off and kill things stuck on ledges or far from you FWW the same only it's use to random your pet will die surrounded by mobs without using it or spam it vs single targets

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Goo just to sporadic often causing your pet to run off and kill things stuck on ledges or far from you FWW the same only it's use to random your pet will die surrounded by mobs without using it or spam it vs single targets
Like any pet special abilities, the pet AI using them is not great, but can still be useful. I use a Goo/AP fire beetle for Piper spawns and it does ok. I also use a AI/Chiv FWW Triton for the roof and it definitely helps with the fiendish calling mobs.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
but.. but.. but goo looks so impressive when you train your pet in slug pit!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Like any pet special abilities, the pet AI using them is not great, but can still be useful. I use a Goo/AP fire beetle for Piper spawns and it does ok. I also use a AI/Chiv FWW Triton for the roof and it definitely helps with the fiendish calling mobs.
Veteran tamers have no issues with these flaws but returning players should be made aware

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best pet i've found for dishing out AoE damage, is a FWW+PB Najasaurus. They're also completely immune to Poison status (so can always be healed outside of Mortal Strike), and virtually immune to magic debuffs with 170+ Resist skill. When taming Najasaurus, i specifically look for a 2 slot with 190+ DEX and 188+ Resist (170+ post-tame).