• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player

Faen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
So I've gotten the itch I can't scratch. The itch of good ole UO.

Problem is, it's been so many years since I've played, I'm kind of overwhelmed. I stopped playing right before High Seas I think.

I've tried to catch up on patch notes but, like I said, little overwhelmed.

I've tried lurking on the Prof forums and learning what I can, any other advice, things I should look into as I go through the process of resubing?

I'm pretty sure my 2 main characters, a tamer and a bush/chiv warrior are obsolete now.

I dunno, TL:DR: help for a returning player?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They make a cream for that.

on the serious side, play the game on a populated server and join a guild. you will learn best by playing the game with folks that know their way around this buggy, dilapidated mess of a game.

Nikon

Visitor
Welcome back, I returned just before Christmas after a 15 or so year gap and I hear you, everything has changed! My once powerful characters are mediocre at best now.

There's lots of good information in the 'stickys' on the forums here that helped me a lot. The trouble is there's so much to take in unless you've got an eidetic memory you're better off learning gradually over weeks (at least that's what helped me).

'Victim of Sieges' suggestion above of joining a guild is a good one as you're more likely to be able to find someone to ask a question and then further follow-up questions if need be.

I've found asking questions on the forums not to be that great, there's lots of people viewing posts but not many posting. It's a pain I know people posting the same old questions again and again (something i'm guilty of :D) when the information they need is out there already, the trouble is when you're trying to re-learn the whole game even the terminology people are using needs looking up so it can take ages to read a post at first. Not to mention you ask a question about building say a 'Sampire' character and everyone has arguments about what's best and what equipment and then you find a post that's nice and clear and easy to follow but find it's 10 years old so don't know if it's right still and don't want to put hours in to training irrelvant skills so post a thread asking if some set of skills are good but no one replies because the 'information is already out there' lol

It's tough but you will get there over time, I'm loving being back with all this new stuff to learn.

Here's a few bits that helped me, they may be relevant to you too:

1) For easy gold go to Shame and stay on the first level, you only need physical resist here so easy to armour up and 500gp per kill ish plus minor lootable items that may help you. (My warrior and Bard did well here). You can quickly earn enough to build a small house and get some half decent equipment...

2a) Equipment - Look on forums to find out what stats you want on the equipment you use as different things will help different characters. You hover over a bit of armour now and loads of different properties will be listed, a lot of which may be of no use to you so look into which ones you want and you will find it easier to know what to wear/carry. Once you've been playing a while you'll be able to pick up better armour with more stats relevant to you but early on them pieces will be to hard to get or too expensive to buy.
2b) Click on your character when in town or in your home and click 'Vendor Search' you can find cheap bits of armour and weapons that will help you a lot. (don't go looking randomly as there's so many empty vendors out there you'll waste hours)

3) Everyone hangs at Luna bank now, some people may help you there.

4) Every day at 6pm GMT there's a meeting at Brit bank, players are very helpful and welcoming there.

5) There's loads of these but here's a few that helped me read forum posts better, just take a photo with your phone :D :

SSI - Swing Speed Increase
DI - Damage Increase
LRC - Lower Reagent Cost
LMC - Lower Mana Cost
HCI - Hit Chance Increasee
HML - Hit Mana Leech
HLL - Hit Life Leech
HSL - Hit Stamina Leech
HPI - Hit Point Increase
DCI - Defense Chance Increase

Welcome back, have fun :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What shard are you on?

The taming revamp has made taming a lot of fun. You need to have someone who is familiar with the changes look at your pets. Pre patch Nightmares and White Wyrms are better than the wild ones. Also all pre patch Cus went to 4 slots, you can release and retame to put them back to 3 slots where they belong.

Head over to the taming forum and ask questions.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Your Bush/Chiv warrior will for now be your main one and they are still good..Consider adding necro on him in order to make him sampire, or other necro build. Sampires pretty much rule the solo play, due to the perks they have. Tamer also pretty good if you have taming built on the tamer. The pet revamp added a lot of fun to the game, and it is still developing. You dont have to scroll the pets for 200M a pop. You can make super good pets with just training, tame rare pets and sell them untrained or trained also.
About STRATICS professional forums : They are extremely valuable and they will save you from losing time in gimping / destroying pets with wrong builds etc. The taming has gone through a lot of changes, so try to read the older posts, but more importantly the NEW posts, as they reflect the more recent changes.
Look for posts/threads by @Donovon, and others that are here, they tested the system extensively, and their opinions are respected.
If you have any old nightmares in particular, they are now priceless meaning w=extremely valuable, so be careful with them, and if you decide not to sell them for 40-60 M/each, and decide to train them, do that FIRST in the TC1. You dont want to mess them up for sure.
Welcome back to the game, get ready for a ton of fun and drama, and take the plunge get a pay account and subsribe! But look in your stables you may have several treasures waiting for you in there (Old nightmares, a bane dragon or 2, or even a dreadhorse or 2). Like I said you may want to sell one of these to get jump started with lots of $ that you may need..Or train them..

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Both characters are still good. Probably just need to update the gear. Don' think it's necessary to add necro to your warrior if you get some 100 life leech weapons.