• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player

Ezekiah

Visitor
Hello all! I'm a returning player, like many others on this forum it seems. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting started on Atlantic, however. I have a few questions.

What is the Stygian Abyss expansion? Do I need to purchase it? What all does that unlock for me?

How can I get full spellbooks, runebooks, and an LRC suit? I can't seem to find anything on the vendors outside Luna, though I may be blind.

Do you guys have any suggestions on builds? Any up-to-date literature I can peruse on templates and their pros/cons?

If you were a new player, how would you go about making some money? I remember farming for (gold?) skulls to sell in that dungeon. I'm trying not to be vague, but these are old memories. I also used to kill blood elementals with a dragon regularly, though it'll be some time before I have a tamer ready, I'm sure. What would you do in my shoes? Any general advice is great.

Thanks guys! If you have any links to new player's guides, please share them. I'd hate to have you type something out that is already hanging around. I'm terrible at navigating forums, so I'm sure I missed plenty.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Stygian Abyss is a must, as much of the current gear requires it, after the loot property revamp. You might want to also get Time of Legends, which you will need to use some of the newest content. If you want to go into fishing and pirate hunting, there is also the High Seas add-on, but it's optional.

For skills under 50, most of them you need to do quests in New Haven, if you haven't done so already. You need to buy up the skills you want to 33-40 there before accepting ANY quests (As you can't buy training while even one skill quest is active). Then, take the quests, and train to 50, getting 0.2 to 0.5 gains every time you would have normally gained 0.1, so long as you are training in the right area (combat and casting are in the ruins of old Haven, crafting skills in the related areas in New Haven). Unlike the shopkeepers, who now deduct gold straight from your bank, you still have to drop the gold for skill training on the trainers.

Get into chat, and see if there's a chat for new players active. If not, get into General chat. Ask for help. There are groups that help new and returning players with basic gear. Those people can also help you with advice on templates and places to loot. My personal favorite for training are the Ilshenar, Tokuno and Eodon champ spawns (which are non-PvP) at Valor and Humility, as you get skill training, as well as item drops (which include Scrolls of Transcendence, which are free skill points in their stated skill, when used). The SoT can also be found in Fel Treasure maps (and Fel spawns), and Tram maps have Scrolls of Alacrity, which replicate the fast-skill-gain of the New Haven skill quests, at any skill level, for one skill for 15 minutes.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I thought someone from the DEV team said recently DON'T buy the Stygian Abyss expansion because it'll be added soon to the basic account?

Check around before you spend your money!!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They said it at the 20th anniversary, but how soon is "soon" is up for debate.