• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning but like Starting over

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Hello, I have returned after many years. How many? I do not know. Why am I returning? just can’t find player housing that I’m happy with. I played many MMOs and the only game that came close to UO was Wurm Online. But, it was also the hardest game I ever played and I really didn’t have the patience or time to invest just to get the basic in-game life going. I’ve always been playing some sort of MMO since the late 90s. I think I took as much as a half a year off once. Well, anyhow, I’m back and ready to get going.

Unfortunately, I forgot my old log-in info, not just for UO, but for the forums as well. So, I have made a new forum handle and a brand new UO account. I forgot who was running UO back when I used to play, but it looks like Broadsword/Mythic/EA is handling things now. I think I had characters on Great Lakes and Lake Superior.

Well, since my main goal was to get a house, I did some research and made my first character on Legends, which seemed the least dense. However, I was not aware of how little the amount of people play now-a days and have scarcely found a couple of other players. Fortunately, I found 2 that helped me get things started. I received 2 mil gold, a 100% LRC suit, a full mage book, a couple rune books.

And after what seemed like forever, the trial period ended and I was able to place a house. So, I’m happy. But, I have tons of questions and the two people that helped me the first couple of days, are rarely to be seen. I forgot about a lot of the game and I think a lot has changed. Been playing for 2-1/2 months now, I can only play about an hour a day at the moment because of RL. This game is 20 years old? Just got a 20th anniversary gift when logged in other day. Woot

1) This in-game store thing, what is that all about?

2) Is there a shard or universal auction house now?

3) What’s the best way to communicate with people?

4) I don’t understand the new taming at all. What the heck does 1 >=3 mean on the last page of info about a pet? *been trying to train pack horse.

5) What is the fastest way to get going with self-sufficiency? I mean like get some gold coming in, take care of all my needs, etc. *Right now, I’m selling ingots, wood, leather and Band-Aids to vendors.

6) Which one of these 20th Anniversary token items should I pick?

7) I have a couple of BOD books now, is there a way to label them?

8) Where are all the lizard men? *Despice is completely different, They are good for training and would like to get Spined leather eventually.

9) Should I join a guild?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome back to UO! :)

1) You buy sovereigns for real money from the origin store, then spend the sovereigns on in-game items at the in-game store.

2) No, there is not.

3) Most people in UO still use the program ICQ to communicate with each other. Other than that, we use private messages here on Stratics, and in-game general chat.

4) I have no idea on this, the new pet system confuses me also (and I've been around all 20 years). Someone in the tamer forum could probably answer this for you, located here: UO Tamer

5) This is probably the hardest part of being a new/returning player. Most of the ways to make gold, require at least a few million to buy a suit and supplies with, and truthfully there aren't any good ways to do it starting completely from scratch. You could try going to your shards EM events, which are usually once or twice per month, where you have the potential to win a prize worth 100 million or more, but it's mostly random chance that decides who wins these days. The ideal way to overcome this seems to be for the new/returning player to join an active guild who is willing to help them with supplies, and help them make gold.

6) The ones people like the most are the sands of sosaria, and the platinum dragon statues. There are 20 sands of sosaria, and 30 dragon statues, so people have a really hard time finishing those sets and will pay quite a bit for the one or two they are missing.

7) Yes, single click the BOD book and it will let you give it a title.

8) Despise in Trammel was changed completely to that new mini-game thing (many people were upset by this), however the Despise in Felucca is exactly the same as it used to be with lizard men, ettins etc. but beware that Felucca Despise is also the most popular champion spawn, so there is a high chance a pvp'er will end up seeing you there eventually, and will most likely kill you.

9) Yes, it is extremely difficult for a new/returning player to play without a guild to help them these days.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
For a returning player with nothing I would suggest going on siege perilous. The gold you get there goes much further. The market is pretty stable and you can pvp almost everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
9) Should I join a guild?
If you come to Atlantic (which is the largest and most active shard), UWF is very friendly to players of all skill levels. We do hunts every night, host special events and there is generally always someone in-game doing something.

Hope everything has gone well so far on your return to UO!