• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning after nearly 18 years

Parry

Visitor
Hello all,

I am a returning player, having played UO throughout the life of the first 2 expansions, from late 1997 through early 2001 (I stopped playing a few months after the release of Third Dawn). Since it's been almost 18 years, I have some questions as a lot has changed!

Also, bear in mind I may not be able to retrieve my old account (working on it but I might have to get a brand new account).

1. I am interested in group-oriented end-game content similar to raiding in World of Warcraft. Since I want to get off to a good start when creating a new character - what kind of character (or template as people seem to use) is in demand and sought-after by groups/guilds to participate in such content (preferably other than a Tamer as I played a Tamer originally and would like to try something different)?

2. I used to play on Napa Valley but I hear Atlantic is the wiser choice now, population wise. How does one go about getting into guilds on this server?

Thank you very much!

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome back. Tamers kinda stink for pvp, unless you plan on hopping on/off and dismounting for guildies.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome back! For PVM I suggest sampire or tamer. There is many threads about sampires and tamers at forums to get good start.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Welcome Back! I hope you have a good connection for the Atlantic Shard, that is the wally world of the UO game, so a lot more people play there, shop there etc.. With today's Transfer shields one can take gold over, shop, and return. My home shard is Sonoma, but I also play across several shards (mostly for the EM events) I also mess around on Siege. At the top of each shard forum there will be a thread for the guilds of that shard.

Also you may not know it yet but UO.com has a forum as well. Feel free to explore other shards guilds before telling the world "Hello (shard's name)" Good luck and again welcome Back!

Parry

Visitor
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll check out Napa server activity and the UO forums. For a character, I'm not really interested in tamer, sampire I would need to do more research on. What about bards? I always wanted to play one back then and never did. Are they any good? Thanks!

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They just updated taming btw, and certain builds can excell. More pets to tame now to.

Sampires are gear intensive, and might be difficult to put a suit together at first.

Bards are awesome, and with the new masteries abilities, have been given a nice boost.

A provo, disco bard(music a must, all 3 120) with magery at 100(460) could add in archery(120, at 580) and tactics (60 now to do all speacials, at 640) and chiv at 80(720 points now) and do very nice damage.

Ive found my bard with all 4 skills at 120 the template is cramped.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
120 skilled bard is awesome

There this little token they sell at the ingame UO Store, it's called a Myst token and will allow you to set a char that has less than 250 skills points five skills in the 90s! Very useful when trying to get a character ready to play and not having to grind and grind in training. With Jewelry (Imbued) you could be GM easy, there just the matter of getting the power scrolls you need

Parry

Visitor
Hi all,

I *FINALLY* got my old account released today. Was a long process... When I last played, powerscrolls were brand new and I barely remember getting one or two from a sort of summoning area where monsters spawned in waves. Is there a guide on how and where to get these now? Thanks!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hi all,

I *FINALLY* got my old account released today. Was a long process... When I last played, powerscrolls were brand new and I barely remember getting one or two from a sort of summoning area where monsters spawned in waves. Is there a guide on how and where to get these now? Thanks!
They come from the same place still. The summoning areas are called champion spawns. Kill the monsters that spawn and eventually powerscrolls drop into your backpack. Doing it in Felucca gets you better ones than Trammel usually but is more risky because other players can kill you and steal them. Champion Spawns - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If your toons are still on Napa, yell out in Gen chat that you need a hand with info or gear. Someone will help out.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Or head to luna, not as many bank sitters, but still people popping in and out.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just FYI (because I played WoW too), end game content is much different in UO. You can solo most of the content, and groups are more for social interaction, or to speed things up. I've played UO for 18ish years, and WoW since vanilla. Both have pro's and con's. I like raiding too (aq40 was the bomb!) but always find myself back on UO. The ease of group finding, and structured pvp is amazing in WoW, but I think it lacks a lot of individualism that UO has.

Anyway, if you need help on Atlantic or Origin hit me up! I'd be happy to help.