• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returnee with a lot of taming questions :)

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time to read. I returned some months ago and now I am ready to also get my tamer rebuild and trained for some action as I see tamers do well in Roof etc.
I was lucky to get a Tamer Mastery lvl 3, so in that regard Iam ok :)

So have a couple of topics:
1. Skills for my tamer
2. Gear for my tamer
3. Pets for my tamer

1. Skills
My current skills on old tamer is (real):
Animal Lore: 108.3/115
Animal Taming: 101,7/120
Eval Int: 101,9/110
Magery: 91,7/110
Meditation: 115/115
Veterinary: 104.1/115

What is a good build for a tamer? Should I add music and disc? Do I need to have 120 magery? I intend to use skill jewels to get taming to 120.

2. Gear
So, gear... I have an old luck suit with 1500 luck, but I guess I need some other mods also. am I looking into a "mage" suit with high luck, kinda propeties? What artifacts are good for tamers?

3. Pets
I have read some threads about starting pets. Please have a look at below old pets I had in stable and let me know if I should train/use these or if I should go out and tame a brand new pet of some kind.

Nightmare:
Nightmare.png

Dragon1:
Dragon1.png

Dragon2:
dragon2.png

Cu Sidhe:
cu-sidhe.png

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

/Zayin

Hasekura

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That nightmare is a treasure... It has much more str than any other 2 slot you can get now... Dragons are pretty much obsolete now... You can scrap them. The Cu is decent... you would need to release and retame him in order to get him to 3 slot pet... You can find better ones with some luck now.

As for the equipment... I dont have a clue. I play on Siege, we dont wear expensive things.

For the template... I would put vet into soulstone and use spellweaving instead. You can revive pets with gift of live if you time it right. And it has some lovely area and regeneration spells + the word of death to finish up a boss or tough creature. This advice applies only for PVM.

About pets... There is a lot of good ones... Cu Sidhe, lesser hiryu, fire and regular beetle, nightmare. You can actually put discord on Cu Sidhe and i found it to be my favorite pet by far. Go for Armor ignore and discord, as a mage you will find that combination very useful. Chivalry is also very good.

I could talk for a long time about possible combinations of pets and templates... For example Necro/tamer with fire beetle. But all around best would be the Cu... Because of its healing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Save the Nightmare until you learn the training system.

The dragons are on hold right now. Cant train them.

The Cu is not a color so trash it and find a new colored one with similar stats. Also the wild ones are 3 slots. You can not make yours 3 slot anymore by releasing.

Start with a Colored Cu or Hiryu and learn training and what to train on. You can get a new one if you mess up. Just dont put scrolls on anything until you have got the basics.

Follow one of these threads for the basic set up. Choosing points for a Cu slot 3 to 4. 1st points allocation Choosing Points for a Hiryu Slot 3 to 4. 1st Points allocation

Your template works with the luck suit. You will need enough mana regen to run consume damage when you get a Taming Primer III.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As has been stated, save the mare for when you had some experience with the new training system. I have 3 PP mares and have not trained them yet. And I’ve taken a dozen or so pets through the process at this point. I’ll probably train one soon, though.
The 2 dragons look like greater dragons to me, the high HP seems to me to mark them as greater. Plus the 600ish STR, along with the over 100 skills. That being the case, they can’t be trained.
The cu, release and get another. It’s not a special color, and tbh, you can find another with close to 600 hp pretty easy.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As has been stated, save the mare for when you had some experience with the new training system. I have 3 PP mares and have not trained them yet. And I’ve taken a dozen or so pets through the process at this point. I’ll probably train one soon, though.
The 2 dragons look like greater dragons to me, the high HP seems to me to mark them as greater. Plus the 600ish STR, along with the over 100 skills. That being the case, they can’t be trained.
The cu, release and get another. It’s not a special color, and tbh, you can find another with close to 600 hp pretty easy.
Thanks for your input, so the Dragons... are they "useless" in PVM as they are now? Will it be better to get one of those "new" dragons I see other tamers have?
Ill keep the mare in the stable for now and play around on a cu sidhe to get the hang of it.

Thanks all!

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for your input, so the Dragons... are they "useless" in PVM as they are now? Will it be better to get one of those "new" dragons I see other tamers have?
Ill keep the mare in the stable for now and play around on a cu sidhe to get the hang of it.

Thanks all!
Greater Dragons aren't useless, there is still a use for them and they actually can still sell. Your second dragon in particular, Pain, is a really nice Greater Dragon. Overcapped in both Wrestling and Tactics, 85 phys, decent fire, over 600 str, and over 900 hits. It's probably around a 4.0 on the old rating system, but the addition of the overcapped wrestilng/tactics makes it really nice. It can't be trained since it is 5 slots, but it will still make a great companion for hunting or EM events while you are getting used to the new taming system. Definitely don't trash him.

The "new" dragons you see are probably the elemental drakes? Crimson and Platinum drakes. These are great pets to start out learning the system with as well. They spawn in a fairly tight range, are always 2 slots, and there are no rare colors to worry about. Each color of them is associated with their damage type. Plain = Physical, Blue = Cold, Orange = Fire, Green = Poison, Purple = Energy. They are great for tailoring a pets damage type for specific content.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget the Frost Dragons and Cold Drakes... Also pretty nice... I got a Frost Dragon that beats any GD I've ever had hands down.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The greater dragons are not useless :)
My group of friends get together a lot and do various hunts, and we still use greater dragons for those hunts. Even though a bunch of us have trained pets through the new system.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The greater dragons are not useless [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]:)[/bcolor]
My group of friends get together a lot and do various hunts, and we still use greater dragons for those hunts. Even though a bunch of us have trained pets through the new system.
Oh great.. so I could actually use "Pain" as it is for now when I do for example "Roof"?

Hasekura

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
They are not useless... But i feel that they are much worse than new trained pets... The main reason is mana and HP regen also low strength, stamina. and ****ty abilities (slow and low damage dragon breath, semi useful magery and useless bleed). Overcapped tactics and wrestling by few points is literally nothing in comparison.

G Dragons are outperformed by any decent pet now.

I would argue that you can do A LOT better with a beetle that has Armor ignore, poison breath and rune corruption... Around 800hp, max resists, max hp and mana regen. 500 - 600 mana, max stamina and dex, 670 str (or around it, i dont remember exactly his cap.), max damage. all 120 power scrolls and it is newbie friendly to build... Chivalry, armor ignore L Hiryu would be also a beast in comparison plus he is easy to build.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They are not useless... But i feel that they are much worse than new trained pets... The main reason is mana and HP regen also low strength, stamina. and ****ty abilities (slow and low damage dragon breath, semi useful magery and useless bleed). Overcapped tactics and wrestling by few points is literally nothing in comparison.
Of course other trained pets can be better now, but it's available to the tamer now. You missed the point. And the people who replied saying it wasnt useless arent new or returning tamers, they understand the taming system.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course other trained pets can be better now, but it's available to the tamer now. You missed the point. And the people who replied saying it wasnt useless arent new or returning tamers, they understand the taming system.
Still a useless flappy pet you can not mount. And I hope that pic of the spider in the other thread is fake. Its like a spider mated with a sugar glider. YUCK

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Still a useless flappy pet you can not mount. And I hope that pic of the spider in the other thread is fake. Its like a spider mated with a sugar glider. YUCK
Your hate for dragonkin is something real. No where near my dislike of Cu Sidhe. Maybe you need a garg tamer!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I made a Garg thrower when SA came out. His throwing skill is 80s. I hate skilling.

But Garg Tamers can use other pet types like Rune Beetles, Frost Mites, or Flappy Mc Flap Flappers.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[QUOTE="
I would argue that you can do A LOT better with a beetle that has Armor ignore, poison breath and rune corruption... Around 800hp, max resists, max hp and mana regen. 500 - 600 mana, max stamina and dex, 670 str (or around it, i dont remember exactly his cap.), max damage. all 120 power scrolls and it is newbie friendly to build... Chivalry, armor ignore L Hiryu would be also a beast in comparison plus he is easy to build.[/QUOTE]

Any tips on where to find such a beetle? Is it a fire beetle you mean? Thanks!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Could be fire beetle or just your plain everyday blue beetle.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
[QUOTE="
I would argue that you can do A LOT better with a beetle that has Armor ignore, poison breath and rune corruption... Around 800hp, max resists, max hp and mana regen. 500 - 600 mana, max stamina and dex, 670 str (or around it, i dont remember exactly his cap.), max damage. all 120 power scrolls and it is newbie friendly to build... Chivalry, armor ignore L Hiryu would be also a beast in comparison plus he is easy to build.
Any tips on where to find such a beetle? Is it a fire beetle you mean? Thanks![/QUOTE]

You would have to train it from a 1 slot pet.

And the spec he suggests "armor ignore, poison breath and rune corruption" isn't even doable. You cannot make a fire beetle with that spec. Armor Ignore, Poisoning, Rune Corruption, yes.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I run with 3 different tamer builds among 8 tamers on 3 shards.

Tamer 1:
All 120
Animal taming
Animal lore
Magery
Discordance
Musicianship
Veterinary

Tamer 2:
All 120:
Taming
Lore
Vet
Magery
Spellweaving
Meditation

Tamer 3
120 taming
120 lore
120 throwing
120 tactics
80 vet
80 chiv
80 magery

They all have their perks and pitfalls but very adaptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And the spec he suggests "armor ignore, poison breath and rune corruption" isn't even doable. You cannot make a fire beetle with that spec. Armor Ignore, Poisoning, Rune Corruption, yes.
I wouldn't bother putting Poisoning on a Beetle right now anyways. Poisoning is bugged for pets that don't innately have it. Any pet that does not already spawn with the Poisoning ability, will only inflict Lesser Poison when taught the Poisoning ability, even if their Poisoning skill is trained to GM. I told Kyronix and Bleak about this bug all the way back when the Pet Revamp was still being tested on TC, and it still hasn't been fixed yet.