• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

resurrecting ghosts.

V

Veganite

The healing and vet skill should only resurrect ghosts if enhanced bandages are used. After all they come from the fountain of life.

For those who don't follow the whole thread.
Idea was changed to make enhanced bandages have a 100% rez rate and rez with 100% health.
Bandages/Healing as currently used will not change.

M

Mulch

No
and as the message is too short ...

Mulching........a process of inbred fertilization which employs certain decomposed organic materials--including but not limited to animal sediment--to blanket an area in which vegetation is desired. The procedure enriches the soil for the stimulated plant's development while, at the same time, preventing erosion and decreasing the evaporation of moisture from the ground.

V

Veganite

With all do respect, that is the worst idea ever.

Well I don't know about the worst idea ever, but it would make a lot more sense than bringing someone to life using a bandaid. It would add value to enhanced bandages.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I don't know about the worst idea ever, but it would make a lot more sense than bringing someone to life using a bandaid. It would add value to enhanced bandages.
Enhanced bandages do have value, they heal more than regular bandages. But are you aware that only through a token you can get these fountains? Are you also aware that not everyone has access to these bandages? Are you also aware of a time before these fountains and only regular bandages existed? Would it make sense to all the sudden say "ok, regular bandages do not work to res people anymore, get yourself some enhanced bandages or a mage,"?
No, it wouldn't. This is how it is and will never be.
Now, if you were to suggest that enhanced bandages res people with higher health, then yes, that would make sense.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The healing and vet skill should only resurrect ghosts if enhanced bandages are used. After all they come from the fountain of life.
Or even better; We could have tinkers be able to make aluminum foil so we could make helmets. Then we could all hear the voices that gave you the idea. :mf_prop:

V

Veganite

Enhanced bandages do have value, they heal more than regular bandages. But are you aware that only a long-time vet can even get these fountains? Are you also aware that not everyone has access to these bandages? Are you also aware of a time before these fountains and only regular bandages existed? Would it make sense to all the sudden say "ok, regular bandages do not work to res people anymore, get yourself some enhanced bandages or a mage,"?
No, it wouldn't. This is how it is and will never be.
Now, if you were to suggest that enhanced bandages res people with higher health, then yes, that would make sense.
Yup, I'm aware of all these facts. Just make it so npc's sell them. Nice gold sink. Those that have a fountain of life get them free and can sell them to players or npc's

V

Veganite

Or even better; We could have tinkers be able to make aluminum foil so we could make helmets. Then we could all hear the voices that gave you the idea. :mf_prop:
LoL. I'm actually working healing at the moment and got to thinking that I can bring a dead person to life with just a plain bandaid.

J

Joyous2K

No
and as the message is too short ...

Aviation........Aviation refers to flying using aircraft, machines designed by humans for atmospheric flight. More generally, the term also describes the activities, industries, and regulatory bodies associated with aircraft.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like your idea and it makes sense that a bandage from the fountain of life would be the only cloth used to rez a player or pet.
Though you have to take into consideration the effect of your idea. Besides my bias against UO being an Item based game....

Would mages be negatively affected with there resurrection skill? It would seem like this is a gimp for the fighter players. The tamers is a different story bonded pets are yet another....

How easy is it for new players or existing players to get these fountains? of course they can be purchased but your still a pawn to the items. Less items more skill and more player interaction/tactics/thought.

There are a bunch of other in game functions that seem to make less sense than this one.

If anything I'd push for a skill requirement increase to be able to resurrect. I don't know how much I like that idea either, may make tighter templates.

V

Veganite

I like your idea and it makes sense that a bandage from the fountain of life would be the only cloth used to rez a player or pet.
Though you have to take into consideration the effect of your idea. Besides my bias against UO being an Item based game....

Would mages be negatively affected with there resurrection skill? Nope, they use magic to resurrect. It would seem like this is a gimp for the fighter players. Not sure I understand what you mean by that. The tamers is a different story bonded pets are yet another.... If they use bandaids then they would need to be enhanced.

How easy is it for new players or existing players to get these fountains? . of course they can be purchased but your still a pawn to the items. Less items more skill and more player interaction/tactics/thought. I say let npc's sell enhanced bandiads and make them blessed. Interaction/tactics/thought or not changed as the only diffeance is enhancement of bandaids.

There are a bunch of other in game functions that seem to make less sense than this one.

If anything I'd push for a skill requirement increase to be able to resurrect. I don't know how much I like that idea either, may make tighter templates. I agree warrior templates are tight enough.
I really don't understand why people hate this idea. It doesn't affect templates or skills, just gives enhanced bandages a good use. I don't even understand why bandaids are used on a ghost, they should be used on the corpse.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Healing doesn't need any nerfs. Since chivalry it has taken a backseat and actually needs a boost.

J

Joyous2K

I really don't understand why people hate this idea. It doesn't affect templates or skills, just gives enhanced bandages a good use. I don't even understand why bandaids are used on a ghost, they should be used on the corpse.
Still no. There's a lot you don't understand.

A

Addicted

Let's not bring realism into a game, that includes magery, chivalry, spellweaving and necromantic spells.

V

Veganite

Let's not bring realism into a game, that includes magery, chivalry, spellweaving and necromantic spells.
Not trying to bring realism into the game. Just a little logic. Logic and fantasy can exist together. The Devs introduced enhanced bandages i.e. magic bandages from a fountain of life. I just feel that they should be the only kind of bandages that bring people back to life. At the very least enhanced bandages should have a 100% success rate and give full health upon resurrection.

C

Connor_Graham

Logic would dictate that someone wearing plate armor would be cooked like a baked potato when hit with a dragon's fire breath, yet that's not the case. Healing is fine like it is. If it helps any, the Healing skill itself is magical, which is what allows for people to be healed to full health when half dead, and able to function as if they'd never been hurt before. It just takes a little more of that Healing magic to bring someone back to life with it. The bandages have nothing to do with it other than as an instrument in which to work the magic through.

S

Sheridan

I say let npc's sell enhanced bandiads and make them blessed.
Blessed? So that they can't be stolen or looted? I see... rolleyes: No, thanks.

It would seem like this is a gimp for the fighter players. Not sure I understand what you mean by that.
What you're proposing will make it less convenient for warriors to resurrect people... Why would you hamper warriors in that manner but no other class?

V

Veganite

Logic would dictate that someone wearing plate armor would be cooked like a baked potato when hit with a dragon's fire breath, yet that's not the case. One does take damage and if they take to many fire breaths they die. Healing is fine like it is. If it helps any, the Healing skill itself is magical, which is what allows for people to be healed to full health when half dead, and able to function as if they'd never been hurt before. It just takes a little more of that Healing magic to bring someone back to life with it. The bandages have nothing to do with it other than as an instrument in which to work the magic with.
I can accept that the healing skill is a "magical" healing skill. It's so magical I can use old dirty oil rags to resurrect. So given that, enhanced bandaids from a fountain of LIFE should do a lot more than add a few points of health. Again I say at least a 100% resurrect rate with full health.
Anyone think that's a bad idea?

V

Veganite

Blessed? So that they can't be stolen or looted? I see... rolleyes: No, thanks.
Well either way is fine with me. I play tram so stealing isn't an issue with me.

What you're proposing will make it less convenient for warriors to resurrect people... Why would you hamper warriors in that manner but no other class?
Don't mean to hamper them. They really wouldn't be hamppered if NPC's sold them. If they had a 100% success rate for rezzing with full health, wouldn't that be a plus?

C

Connor_Graham

"One does take damage and if they take to many fire breaths they die."

You missed the point that if they were wearing plate armor, they'd be instantly turned into the consistency of a baked potato. Not after several fire breath hits, just one single one.

"It's so magical I can use old dirty oil rags to resurrect."

When cut into bandages, the oil rags become "magical" themselves. As I said, the bandage itself is just the medium the "magic" of the Healing skill works through. Just like you can cut up an old tunic and use it.

"Again I say at least a 100% resurrect rate with full health.
Anyone think that's a bad idea?"

That would completely negate the Compassion Virtue bonus at all levels, so yeah, it's a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with the benefit you get now.

V

Veganite

"One does take damage and if they take to many fire breaths they die."

You missed the point that if they were wearing plate armor, they'd be instantly turned into the consistency of a baked potato. Not after several fire breath hits, just one single one.

Point not missed. One might argue that the amour is magically enhanced to protect the player from fire, but only so much.

"It's so magical I can use old dirty oil rags to resurrect."

When cut into bandages, the oil rags become "magical" themselves. So when my tailor uses plain sissors he turns cloth into magic bandages? What skill is that?
As I said, the bandage itself is just the medium the "magic" of the Healing skill works through. Just like you can cut up an old tunic and use it. I already conceeded this point to you.

"Again I say at least a 100% resurrect rate with full health.
Anyone think that's a bad idea?"

That would completely negate the Compassion Virtue bonus at all levels, so yeah, it's a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with the benefit you get now.
Giving a player an option doesn't negate the compassion virtue. The compassionate player can still use regular bandages and save the cost of enhanced bandages.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all do respect, that is the worst idea ever.
Careful! That's like handing down the gauntlet and saying "come up with something worse". It's challenges like that which got us Trammel :D [I'm joking, for those with humour deficiencies...]

Vet requires lore to resurrect, healing requires anatomy. Both mages and paladins just require 1 skill. I think it would simply encourage all warriors to squeeze in chivalry if they want to res, and others would try for magery. If they didn't just go into single player mode and ignore dead players.

I can't see it leading to a better environment for playing in. Tamers will be less likely to res pets at the bank if they don't have enough bandies to hand. Warriors have no need to take enhanced bandies out if they're not in a group, so the days of your friendly warrior helping you may be limited. Sorry, I'm not seeing any benefit in this idea which compensates for the increase in "single player" mindsets in UO. Not even a deliberate selfishness, just the fact that players don't want to carry stuff they don't expect to use and won't be able to res other pets or players.

Wenchy

V

Veganite

Careful! That's like handing down the gauntlet and saying "come up with something worse". It's challenges like that which got us Trammel :D [I'm joking, for those with humour deficiencies...]

Vet requires lore to resurrect, healing requires anatomy. Both mages and paladins just require 1 skill. I think it would simply encourage all warriors to squeeze in chivalry if they want to res, and others would try for magery. If they didn't just go into single player mode and ignore dead players.

I can't see it leading to a better environment for playing in. Tamers will be less likely to res pets at the bank if they don't have enough bandies to hand. Warriors have no need to take enhanced bandies out if they're not in a group, so the days of your friendly warrior helping you may be limited. Sorry, I'm not seeing any benefit in this idea which compensates for the increase in "single player" mindsets in UO. Not even a deliberate selfishness, just the fact that players don't want to carry stuff they don't expect to use and won't be able to res other pets or players.

Wenchy
see edited first post.

A

Ash

That would negate the whole virtue of Compassion..

Enhanced bandages have a use, why should it be more than it already is? They allow warriors to lower their skill in healing and get same result, so in effect a +20 to healing. Why should a warrior have a 100% success at rez at a low skill when other forms require high skill? Why allow warriors to bypass needing compassion which others have to raise and keep up?

V

Veganite

That would negate the whole virtue of Compassion..

Enhanced bandages have a use, why should it be more than it already is? They allow warriors to lower their skill in healing and get same result, so in effect a +20 to healing. Why should a warrior have a 100% success at rez at a low skill when other forms require high skill?
Mages and Paladins only need 1 skill. warriors need 2 skills.

Why allow warriors to bypass needing compassion which others have to raise and keep up?

Why not. If you want to pay extra for enhanced bandages, good, if not get compassion.

A

Ash

Why not. If you want to pay extra for enhanced bandages, good, if not get compassion.
Then why not let people just buy all the virtues by that logic.. Cut out the work and value of having the virtue entirely.

Since you keep comparing to mages/paladins, let's look at in the field. Mages are vulnerable while attempting to rez, unable to run, hide or cast any other spell. Paladins, dropping to 1 hit point is a huge sacrifice and since one of my chars is a pally can tell you I have died a lot so that i can rez someone and would be a shame that I had to go through all the effort of raising compassion while someone can just pick up an enhanced bandage. Now a warrior, after starting healing can hide without stopping the rez, continue to fight if danger close or if an archer.

There are always trade offs between different classes.. Given the choice of the 3 ways to rez, the warrior is my favorite to use and don't think enhanced bandages should make it any more powerful.. These skills and enhanced bandages are perfectly fine the way they are.

:bdh:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
NO.
We should never be able to replace skill with items in this game. Worst mistake UO ever made.