• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Respecting The Event Moderator Program

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It has been said many times, and I will say it once more. Event Moderators do not get the recognition they deserve for the amount of effort and thought most of them put into their storyline. Perhaps some put less thought, less time, less effort, but the creative process is not an easy one. There is writer's block, real life, and sometimes not enough motivation. Which is the main point of this thread.

Tonight an EM has resigned primarily due to lack of respect. This was the most Senior EM left in the program. She trained other EMs. I met this EM at the Anniversary party personally. She really cares about the players, and it hurts her when she can't make them all happy. Many times unnecessary comments and complaints are made at events. She takes this negative energy to heart. She tried to turn this negative into a positive, and I believe it was to her downfall.

I am not blaming any specific players at this time. After all UO is a game, and people have fun venting their frustrations, speaking before thinking. Its life. I only ask if you are a regular participant of this community, and wish to sell your event items here. Please take care to choose your words wisely at events. I for one, for now on will not be buying from anyone who needlessly disrespects the EMs, not even when they make a mistake. Instead of insluting the EM in game, forward your opinions to Mesanna at [email protected] She enjoys these types of love letters.

I hope the EMs to take my appreciation to heart, and keep up the good work. I wish a very fond farewell to those who have served us and parted ways. I send you the best of luck in all you endeavor.

Last edited:

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well said Nails. I have a friend, who use to be an Event Moderator in 2009, EM Sarthus. He JUST RECENTLY told me about it. He has, countless times, said that being an EM is NO EASY TASK. There is so much paper work, planning, testing, regulating, and everything else you can think of. These EM's are here for our entertainment, and I for one believe if you can't show the respect they deserve, then don't show your face in public, or at least where I'm at. This happened on Atlantic about 2 months ago.

Bennu made an announcement after one of his events. He plainly stated that he is here for us, and that he doesn't have to tolerate this behavior. Everyone who plays Atlantic and has gone to AT LEAST one event there knows exactly what I'm talking about. He said if we wished, he will resign that night as our Event Moderator. People badgering him constantly about: Accusing him of favoritism, being a bad EM, grieving him at the events, etc. Bennu is an AWESOME EM, and would hate to loose him. He is a hard and very creative worker. He takes Pride in his events. Out of all the events I've attended on all shards, and this is strictly opinion - many may disagree, His Addie Event was BY FAR the BEST event EVER HOSTED. The storyline, the imagination, and the layout was magnificent. After that announcement, I along with many many other people, got together and made a special book for Bennu and we gave it to him. He IS my favorite Event Moderator and I hope he stays with Atlantic for a long time.

#TrueCruxFan

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
em is a thankless job. coming up with events and setting them up.No time for them to play on thier toons at all. To disrepesct them is just RUDE.
ozog

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faine from Origin resigned last night. I was telling Jinx last night I was pretty sad over it (literally). She was a wonderful EM and the last of the originals I believe. Always fun in a motherly kind of way. I plead for her to instead of resigning how about taking a long break. She did say she'll consider that but it will be a long break. Still that's a grasp on some hope :)

Last edited:

Sapphirediablo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Malachi, Emile Layne, Autolucys <- The remaining 3 elders I believe.
Eira <- was from the beginning but took a break. An Original, but not ranked Elder because of her leaving for a short time.

Origin usually has really great players, I am sad to see that Faine resigned. I wish her the best wherever she is going now, and hope to see her in game more with us!

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
FAINE GAVE ALOT OF HERSELF TO THE PROGRAM. SAD TO SEE HER GO.*CRIES*

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very sad to hear. Players need to understand in these times of cutbacks and cost saving measures how much of a blessing the EM's are. Taking for granted one of the greatest sources of interaction and immersion in the game is a massive problem.

That being said, as a side note, I also agree with Alexander in saying Bennu is awesome and I hope he never leaves.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
well guesss no no habes to worry bout herz cookin *frowns*

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
SOME SEEM TO FORGET EM'SE PEOPLE TOO AND HAVE FEELINGS

BAH AT ALL RUDE PEOPLES
*PEEES ON DEM ALL*

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well Darn it! The many that love the story arcs and the items that are treasured as a token from that arc have taken a huge blow here.
here's a thought .... instead of taking these jerks and what that are doing to heart.... think instead of something that will make you laugh.
(IE: entertaining the UO world one diaper at a time.... or a smile adds to your face value.... If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you)

We as atlantians are truly blessed.... Bennu is exceptional in his story arc's and Yoshi is running a close second!
I can only imagine how crushed the Origins players must be.
I send a hug to Faine (Origins) The EM program is better because of you. Please reconsider!
Although I can relate to needing a break at times from the game due to IRL issues, theres no way I would let some off color player dictate a direction or decision I make.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another example of boarish behavior tonight on Atlantic. No items and not a lot of fighting so people go over the top pancakes. What ever happened to playing the game for the fun? Also not every event is going to go off perfect, at least respect the effort the EM's put into the storylines they're building.

I would never say some of the things (to anyone) that these people say about someone trying to help them have a little fun. It makes you wonder why the EM's even try.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In addition to people insulting the EM's themselves, there are so many grief players at events nowadays spamming insults, things for sale, or complaints that it makes it less enjoyable for the players to attend the events, and eventually some players give up and stop coming to the events entirely.

Adeka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
With the anonymity of the internet being what it is, and the role of the internet troll running parallel with that, it is hard for many of us to play the game the way it was intended.

My dad always said "somebody's always gotta poop in my cereal".

Sorry that misconduct and rude behavior won that day, it's truly a shame.

The Shamrock

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am very sad to see faine go; she was always among my favorite em's. This is a very sad day for the EM program; I really hope she reconsiders down the road. Perhaps giving em's more power to punish players would help combat the rude players.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yup, they should really have the ability to teleport griefers to the depths of some felucca dungeon. otherwise they will keep coming back like little parasites.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Giving people a "timeout" not being able to speak for "x" minutes is a really common way in most communication systems nowadays.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, they should really have the ability to teleport griefers to the depths of some felucca dungeon. otherwise they will keep coming back like little parasites.
This. Start treating the players who do enjoy and participate in events with some help by getting rid of spammers, griefers, those who swear and are abusive, those who just want itemz, those who are just plain greedy. Man up and get rid of the imbeciles and stop pretending they are in anyway a positive influence on UO or EM events.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly some of the griefers end up getting the event item a lot of times.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've maybe gone to 5 or 6 EM events over the years. Almost all the items in my collection have been bought from other players. The attitude, spam and other nonsense made it difficult for me to enjoy. At the last event I went to (couple years ago), I had asked one random person next to me in party (didn't want to contribute to the noise pollution) what the EM had just said as it had been spammed off my journal. Their response was something to the tune of "Who cares what they are saying. What do you think will drop from this one? I hope it isn't something stupid that won't make a lot of gold." Now I don't mind folks selling stuff, but I wouldn't go just for that. I really enjoy the story and the rp.

That last event was my nail in the coffin... Since I don't hang out with a group, guild, others etc in-game, I wasn't going for the fellowship. Maybe I'll give it a try again someday, but to me it has become a huge 'gimmie' machine.

I have toyed over the years with the idea of applying for an EM position, but seeing how folks behave puts me off. It isn't the name-calling or insults, I deal with that as a mod behind the scenes. To me, that's water off a duck's back. I don't honestly care what someone says about me personally since I do not know them and they hold no (personal) value in my life where their opinion should matter. I might get annoyed at having to deal with someone who is whining, screaming and insulting... but they don't make me upset generally. I get annoyed at my time being wasted by their behavior. I guess it makes me a good moderator that I don't get bent out of shape. Hehe. The reason I hesitate about applying for an EM position is the fact that I would spend hours designing, planning and coming up with something to entertain folks only to have folks ruin it with zero consequences for their behavior. That to me would be incredibly frustrating. There should be consequences for asshatery.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The event moderator program is going down the same road that caused the seer program to end, the "gimmie machine" as you so perfectly put it assia. the majority of players would be satisfied if the EM showed up for 5 seconds threw stuff on the floor and left. an EM's job is to create fun things for players to do together, and everyone completely ignores the event and simply waits at the finish line for the clicky to spawn.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Giving people a "timeout" not being able to speak for "x" minutes is a really common way in most communication systems nowadays.
Something like this should be put in place if it is easy enough to do. i know GMs can send a player to jail, but i dont think EMs can. maybe they could be given this ability somehow.

UO is truly a unique game with the level of personal interaction / custumized "gameplay" and storyline that the EM program gives us. If there is another game with anything close to what we have i dont know about it (if someone does please tell me!) Some pooeple will always take this for granted.

The majority of people are very "well behaved" at events, but whenever a group of 100-200 people congregate in video game i would expect there to be some nasty ones. The EMs have so many things to do at an event, that controlling unruly players Shouldnt be one of them. But there will always be those players. I "silent" / "mass ignore" button or Jail button would be an easy way to make events more pleasant for everyone.

Sapphirediablo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't in the old days, the seers and ems and smurfs be able to Zap you to a random location?
You would just poof, and be somewhere in t2a?

Couldn't they modify that to hit the person and add maybe a 5 minute no gate/recall/journey/etc. timer to them... just alittle time out away from the players and after that if they want someone can gate them back, or they can recall back if they know.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't in the old days, the seers and ems and smurfs be able to Zap you to a random location?
You would just poof, and be somewhere in t2a?

Couldn't they modify that to hit the person and add maybe a 5 minute no gate/recall/journey/etc. timer to them... just alittle time out away from the players and after that if they want someone can gate them back, or they can recall back if they know.
I think a short sharp shock like this would insta-end a lot of griefing

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faine from Origin resigned last night. I was telling Jinx last night I was pretty sad over it (literally). She was a wonderful EM and the last of the originals I believe. Always fun in a motherly kind of way. I plead for her to instead of resigning how about taking a long break. She did say she'll consider that but it will be a long break. Still that's a grasp on some hope :)
Wow really, She was a awesome EM, the people who disrespected her should not be allowed to attend any future events on any shard .. They should be punished

Kahlan

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been around for awhile, seen some good em's and seen some bad ones. Pacific is lucky at the moment to have a veteran em, EM Sangira and I am anxious to see what she has in store for us. Assia is dead on with the asshatery making many events unenjoyable. EM's good or bad are still a paid position and employee's of EA. As such the time and effort that they put in is part of their job. I respect the ones tha show up and try, even if they make mistakes or have a bad event. Everyone has been to a couple of those yes? I hope that the EM program doesn't disapper the way of the Seer program, however some changes would probably help things more than they woult them. Those of us who are OCD collectors enjoy he drops, would like equal opportunity to them and at the same time enjoy events for the events sake.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I pleaded with Mesanna to give EM's the ability to squelch again, I was given a firm "Not going to happen".

The previous EM program had alot of corruption, so I guess they dont want to go down the same road of giving them increased powers, but I dont see how squelching could be such a bad thing.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
absolute power corrupts absolutely. Don't forget while 99% of the EMs are great there have been a few of them getting the "axe" for naughty behaviors. So giving them the power to jail or squelch not a good idea. The best change will have to be peer-pressured, i.e. coming from us. We are just as responsible for allowing these type of behavior to continue. So if you want to do something about it, next time they yell or shout about items or drops you yell and shout back and tell them off. Or as Nails put it, don't buy from them anymore. You can easily figure out who they are.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
it was hard for Faine to be running em program alone, work,em stories,em events, FAMILY etc. herz was over loaded.
ozog da new king

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The best change will have to be peer-pressured, i.e. coming from us. We are just as responsible for allowing these type of behavior to continue. So if you want to do something about it, next time they yell or shout about items or drops you yell and shout back and tell them off. Or as Nails put it, don't buy from them anymore. You can easily figure out who they are.
THIS ^

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
absolute power corrupts absolutely. Don't forget while 99% of the EMs are great there have been a few of them getting the "axe" for naughty behaviors. So giving them the power to jail or squelch not a good idea. The best change will have to be peer-pressured, i.e. coming from us. We are just as responsible for allowing these type of behavior to continue. So if you want to do something about it, next time they yell or shout about items or drops you yell and shout back and tell them off. Or as Nails put it, don't buy from them anymore. You can easily figure out who they are.
Wont that just start off a huge shouting match which will/could de-rail any event whilst in progress? Better to get the EMs/GMs/Mesanna to deal with this stuff - but I do see the value in peer pressure.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would be an awesome EM. I would actually do Felucca events that are geared toward pvp. You know, the other half of the userbase that is often neglected by what most EM' put together...

Matty O No

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You would think there would be a GM hiding at each event to decide who is crossing the line and harassing the EM's. The GM's do have power the EM's do not and can deal with these people directly. Plus once word got out that a few people got Jailed/Zapped/Banned by GM's that are hiding there would be a lot less of this. Like the Air Marshall Program, you've only heard rumors and news stories, and you don't know if they are there or not till they jump up and take you down :eek: .

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You would think there would be a GM hiding at each event to decide who is crossing the line and harassing the EM's. The GM's do have power the EM's do not and can deal with these people directly. Plus once word got out that a few people got Jailed/Zapped/Banned by GM's that are hiding there would be a lot less of this. Like the Air Marshall Program, you've only heard rumors and news stories, and you don't know if they are there or not till they jump up and take you down :eek: .
Yep, thats a great idea

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best change will have to be peer-pressured, i.e. coming from us. We are just as responsible for allowing these type of behavior to continue. So if you want to do something about it, next time they yell or shout about items or drops you yell and shout back and tell them off. Or as Nails put it, don't buy from them anymore. You can easily figure out who they are.
I think folks are spot on thinking like this. Except for the yell back at them part. I wouldn't acknowledge their need for negative attention publicly. I would like a second, more harsh, ignore filter linked to all chars on all accounts across all shards under the origin master account of the griefer. No trades to any of my chars/accounts and ban from all of my housing in one click. A "you really ****** me off and I want to have nothing more to do with you" filter. I'd use it on text wall and swearing griefers in a flash. Collectively it is the best way I can think of to suppress that sort of behavior.

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Our GM's pretty much are GM's for 3 games (Us, DAOC, and Warhammer). So the chances of having a GM at EVERY EM event, is so incredibly small.

Aint gonna happen with the small staff EA decides to use for the 3 games.

Matty O No

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If the above is true, and it cannot be done, EM's should be able to save journals, screenshots, and report people. Also the idea is that once this becomes common knowledge, just like u are unaware if there is an Air Marshal on ur flight, u refrain ur actions at the possibility of there being one.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be an awesome EM. I would actually do Felucca events that are geared toward pvp. You know, the other half of the userbase that is often neglected by what most EM' put together...
well it would make things alot easier pertaining to this topic... just kill the griefer. Tiberious did a few fel events which were really fun. not pvp based, but in fel so defense was part of it. i know Bennu did one fel event where the items were supposed to be cursed / fought over / stolen but something got messed up and it didnt work out that way. you could insure the items.

Id like to see more fel events, just an event being in fel adds a nice level of gameplay and is an good way to expose a mass amount of people to pvp in a "safe" way (100 blue event goers vrs a couple random reds seems pretty safe to me)

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those with some time, I'd recommend watching this -

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...oxic_online_behavior_in_League_of_Legends.php

Intelligent and well reasoned investigation, using actual game data, into what they term 'toxic' play. Not all the answers are there, of course, but it's interesting to see their approach and how it's working so far.

While I agree that within UO part of the 'solution' lies with us, I don't accept that most of it falls to us, or we can magically make a change to the minority without EA doing their bit too. We can do a very small part, and should - but let's face facts, the lack of investment, understanding and resource from EA means there is never going to be the support EMs need at the times they need it, the rules of behaviour are NOT being enforced to a worthwhile level, and immunity to any repercussions for appaling behaviour mean that the socially inept will carry on being what they are. It's painful for the game, the community, and the EMs who have to suffer the effects, but nobodyin the company who run this game is going to step up to the plate and sort it out, that would cost time and (most important of all for EA) money, and just look at the hatchet job they are currently doing on their staff in their latest 'panic, we're not making enough cash' fiasco......

We should do what's right, because it's right - but not have the illusion it will solve the problem, because without huge input and action from EA, we can't.