• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Resources: random vs fixed

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In the thread of 2019 wishes, I commented to @Laura_Gold that I felt her suggestion of fixing wood to specific locations was wrong. I remarked that randomization was done to slow scripters down. I also remarked that I had a miner and LJ.

BTW - I think her idea of mouse-over for seeing what you might get is pretty good - for wood. For ore (which was not on Lauras wish list), I see mouse-over as negating the prospector tool.

= = fast forward a little while
@Ender remarked "You might be the only one. As is scripters have a bigger advantage than before"

I remarked I must be thick and would he explain it to me ... @Xris wanted a new thread to prevent derailment.

=====================================
So here I am ... can someone explain to me why scripters NOW have a bigger advantage than over fixed locations for resources (wood AND ore)?

Last edited:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fully understand why staff made wood and ore random... and I still totally hate it.

Even within the last month, I have seen spot miners popping in and out, moving location to location... even 5 tiles... no response, clearly unattended scripters.

I asked myself if Game Masters even care any more. The last few times I've paged for help, you get 1 first message, as years and years ago, that your request was made... but no never see any kind of counter or even an actual GM. However, one did text with me... so that was cool. I still ask myself if its worth reporting script minors.

It never made sense to me why you would even want a stack of only one thing because you always need everything, in the way of ingots. Mainly, thanks to BODs... and I sold my entire collection because I totally dont agree with the banking points system.

Still, you look at LIFE. One knows an oak tree will always be an oak tree. OR a gigantic Yew tree... around YEW... can never give off anything BUT Yew wood... but it does. Logic just goes out the window forever. Considering you cant very well simply know what wood is coming from what tree based on artwork vs. how real life works? I still dont understand why they randomize the wood. Its such a bugged system, by design, I just dont bother with it. All the woods I collect come off the vet reward stump. I also have 3 ore carts, but I could have 100 for all the ore one can burn up in different crafts. I also have a small rune library in my mall. We used to have books to find this or that, special. I kind of miss it. A special job, a special type wood? Took some of the fun out.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because before you could mark spots for rare ore or wood and just hit a book and as long as you got there before the scripters - gather the wood.

Now you have to go around to tree after tree trying to find it.

Scripters have unlimited time so they just script as long as they like and eventually a tree becomes frostwood and they get frostwood. It might be 5 times a day but do you have the ability to play 24x7? A scirpter does.

At any rate, i'm glad I farmed a couple hundred k of the rare woods back when you could mark a book. Its worth a fortune now.

As for scripters - with gold worth almost nothing and no one playing anymore - its been a VERY long time since I've seen script miners and lumberjacks anywhere. They used to be everywhere and easy to find. I haven't seen one in years.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for scripters - with gold worth almost nothing and no one playing anymore - its been a VERY long time since I've seen script miners and lumberjacks anywhere. They used to be everywhere and easy to find. I haven't seen one in years.
I've been running around both Fel and Tram on multiple servers, several hours a day, for three weeks. Scouting and recording the housing situation for castle and keep spots mostly. In lets say 40-50 hours total I did not run across even one LJ or miner bot. Now that's crazy. As Theo said, they used to be everywhere.

So also, like Theo said, the scripters benefited from the randomization of resource tiles because they run 24/7, and will over time, statistically speaking acquire a consistent percentage of ore and wood. So within just a short while after randomization most casual resource gatherers had given up and just bought from the scripter's vendors. When they were running full tilt the price of ore and wood actually bottomed out for a while.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if gold becomes even more worthless (as it will)… nothing will stop scripters from gathering ore and wood. Farming gold is... farming. It wont stop. Not like you can turn around and make a deal with China and expect to get a government check because the market busts or exports get cut off for some odd reason. Its about the 'challenge' now a days. What they can get away with. Otherwise, it would be far easier to just say... accidently dig up an elemental and leave it where these scripters run all day long. Muhahahahaaa.

I'd say, even with Fel being almost a dead-zone (double meaning), then it would be easy pick'ens to smoke them... if you see them, Ezekiel. *hint* Sport hunting.

I forget. Did the woods come with ML? (The elf stuff.)

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my mind, scripters have the advantage under both systems, I've seen it under both, and played both.

This is why you can't really impact on the fun of normal players when you design an anti scripting system, because the scripters are likely to win anyway, and then in the end, you've only reduced the fun for a normal player.

I play 99% of the game as it is meant to be played, in CC, I do use UOA in PvP, I also use Discord, Carto and UOAM.
I have tried certain things out, I did try EC, I did try EUO, to see exactly what they were, and what they could do, etc, when I talk about stuff, it helps for me to know what I am talking about.

I myself, lumberjack on 3 shards, and I play it myself, currently training a lumberjack, carpenter, miner, tinker on Atlantic, and I find it really relaxing after a big PvP session to just go out there and chop tree's.
I do prefer the random method, I can just wander around and chop wood, relax and chill.

I remember the days when resource points were fixed, and all the scripters had books of all the fixed nodes, and they just recalled round non-stop taking all the top end resources, normal players couldn't get any of them, this is what would happen if you fixed resources, scripters would win again. It was also far more boring for me, to have to cycle through 20 runebooks to lumber specific tree's, than it is to happily just wander around chopping stuff. And if the scripters hadn't beaten you, the hardcore crafter who never worked would beat you, this system did not favour a more casual player.

But I do agree, under the current system, the scripters also win, due to the sheer volume of what they can chop, compared to a normal player. Drop rates do seem exceedingly low. Lumberjacking does not seem to have the options Mining does, to boost certain Ores. But then Lumberjacking as a whole system is not quite as strong as Mining.

With Lumberjacking, 3 of the top Wood types only come with GM, along with other resources, these should be spread out along the way. The wood types, and their uses should be more defined, have more uses. So there are 2 fewer types of wood than ore, and 3 of them only come at gm, compared to minings' 1 type at gm. I'm not saying add more wood types, we don't need more complication, but I do think wood types should be spread out along the way and in terms of ease to obtain.

So in summary, scripters win all ways, especially in Trammel by the way, but, I prefer the current system, as I can just wander outside of my house, or wherever I am, and just chop wood to relax, and know I have just as bad a chance as anyone.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been running around both Fel and Tram on multiple servers, several hours a day, for three weeks. Scouting and recording the housing situation for castle and keep spots mostly. In lets say 40-50 hours total I did not run across even one LJ or miner bot. Now that's crazy. As Theo said, they used to be everywhere.

So also, like Theo said, the scripters benefited from the randomization of resource tiles because they run 24/7, and will over time, statistically speaking acquire a consistent percentage of ore and wood. So within just a short while after randomization most casual resource gatherers had given up and just bought from the scripter's vendors. When they were running full tilt the price of ore and wood actually bottomed out for a while.

Just to comment on this - first, I agree with you when you say you don't see any, I myself, when lumberjacking or mining, see very few, compared to what I used to see.

This could be down to a few reasons, my opinion is it the last reason I've listed;

• Broadswords new tougher approach - which I do commend, though I believe better systems could be implemented.
  • Reducing player base, having said that, it cannot be permanently reducing, I think we have upwards and downward spikes throughout the years and seasons.
  • Reduced demand for the resource types. Crafting is almost worthless game-wise these days, therefore there is just no demand for the resources, so the scripters are just not bothering to run, there are more profitable areas to run these days.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still, you look at LIFE. One knows an oak tree will always be an oak tree. OR a gigantic Yew tree... around YEW... can never give off anything BUT Yew wood... but it does. Logic just goes out the window forever. Considering you cant very well simply know what wood is coming from what tree based on artwork vs. how real life works? I still dont understand why they randomize the wood. Its such a bugged system, by design, I just dont bother with it. All the woods I collect come off the vet reward stump. I also have 3 ore carts, but I could have 100 for all the ore one can burn up in different crafts. I also have a small rune library in my mall. We used to have books to find this or that, special. I kind of miss it. A special job, a special type wood? Took some of the fun out.

If you chop down a tree, the next one to grow in its spot will not automatically be an oak tree, it could be anything. :)

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I could write an essay on this topic, but I will keep it with the summary and conclusion:

Its best with randomized ore. If anyone want a certain type of or it should be provided through other means, like quests for a oremap etc.

A few tips:
1: Check out the rewards from Voidpool, Vela the sorceress. (But the rewards should be tweaked by devs)

2: Check out the ore carts, yes they are random too, but if you have a few you get what you need.
(I have 60 of them, get all the ore I need for crafting, they produce 8400 ingots a week of random oretypes.
If I need more I could just mine a cave with the random ore and get some of each colored ore in addition, then;
trade/sell the leftover ingots with a ingot type I need more of.

Fixed ore isnt the way to go, remember gems are also random :)

Thank you

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you chop down a tree, the next one to grow in its spot will not automatically be an oak tree, it could be anything. :)
If we could actually chop down a whole tree... we'd have a hella more wood as a result. ;)

Good lord, Chap! Thats a mess of Vets! That would be about a serious mining mission before I'd demand a break for at least a month. So, every 10 days? OH YEAH!

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm fine with randomized resources. That ship sailed a long long time ago.

Just so happens that I mentioned in another thread my thoughts on macroing. I'm of the opinion now that, the devs have allowed the scripters to run rampant for years, so just let us all macro attended. Absolutely am not, will not and have never, advocated for AFK macroing.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I could write an essay on this topic, but I will keep it with the summary and conclusion:

Its best with randomized ore. If anyone want a certain type of or it should be provided through other means, like quests for a oremap etc.

A few tips:
1: Check out the rewards from Voidpool, Vela the sorceress. (But the rewards should be tweaked by devs)

2: Check out the ore carts, yes they are random too, but if you have a few you get what you need.
(I have 60 of them, get all the ore I need for crafting, they produce 8400 ingots a week of random oretypes.
If I need more I could just mine a cave with the random ore and get some of each colored ore in addition, then;

Thank you

First, not everyone can effort that many ore carts and shouldnt considered in a random vs. static resources.
Considering Void Pool, its at least on smaller shard hard to get people together because rewards are almost only useful for workers and if you need a good amount of some ore, it wont be enough.
Why do I have GM Lumber or Mining if I cant get enough of the high end resources?!
As one of the few Artisan Festival Bod makers, I could use those high end resources to make to grinding work easier.
Random resources are only good for scripters or the very few that do mining or lumber for relaxing, which they can also do with static resources.
For a 20 Plate Valorite Large Bod you need about 2k Valorite iron. I probably could fill 10 of those, if I had the iron. For a 800k Britain Library reward 16k Valorite iron or Frostwood. How many years should I go mining or lumber for that?
Honest miners are barely out there because its not worth.

So I am all in for static resources. Scripters can be handled with, they cant be everywhere with all the landmasses today anyways, there is scripter free land in Ilshenar and Eodon also. So please let us honest miner/lumber break into the phalanx of the scripters. More rare resources available and less needed = bad for scripters.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
random is ore/logs is fine, just need to stop scripter/cheaters.
It has been ages that I have seen a resource scripter, there may be a need for the resources but the money is no longer there. You can get 1m gold for $0.20 if not lower. PSs and top end gear and event rares are where the gold is at. The reason for random resources is way past due.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

A few tips:

Thank you

Resources such as wood and ore were intended to be gathered by hand from natural sources. The very fact that people substantially now rely on methods such as ore carts, orc brutes, Blatckthorne dungeon gold elementals, etc or other such methods screams that the resource systems are broken. It should not take weeks to gather enough frostwood, valorite, or other specific resource to fill bods or craft whatever item that requires such specific resources. ANY player with several hours of playtime over a few days should be able to gather a substantial portion (or all) of ANY resource they require. So many people who used to enjoy "resourcing" for personal reasons or to resell have simply quit playing or play very reduced hours since these changes. I used to enjoy mining & lumberjacking when I felt there was a good return on my efforts. I would spend hours and hours doing nothing but gathering for my own personal stock. Now? What is the point of spending what few hours a night I can spare these days & at the end of each night, I still cannot make anything that requires any resources above mid grade? None. So guess what - I do not play very much now or like so many others try to take advantage of the false systems as mentioned in the first part of this post.

IMO, due to the average age of the remaining population of this game (limited playtime due to family, etc) & the current broken resource systems - buying from third party sites is potentially more attractive than ever. "Back in the day" there were hundreds of static spots of each type of resource you could find. You just had to get off your butt, stop using the ones everyone kept passing out / selling rune books to, & find your own. Even if many spots were being heavily trafficked, you could find another spot. I still have books and books of what used to be static spawns of every wood that I found on my own (both fel & tram) right after they introduced them.

The system as it is now - sucks. Also due to this, I have little interest in participating in bods.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Still no clue as to why scripters NOW have the advantage over scripters with fixed resources. Here's what I have seen so far ...

Scripters have the advantage in both scenarios because they can run 24/7 if they choose.
Tram scripters are the bane of all resource gatherers; Fel scripters are fair game ... but the appearance of these seems very low.

Here's how I feel and why. Randomized resources cut down the amount of higher end woods and ores because the liklihood of getting some IS random. If wood/ore was static, scripters would know where to go to acquire any wood/ore AND easily run a specific route to locations to gather. That makes it EASIER for the scripter to get the resources of a certain type.

I'm all for termination of scripters in a way that their "dirty deeds" can't be performed any more. But until they are abolished it seems to me that scripters can run 24/7 but they'll be covering a lot more area to get the same amount of resource than if static locations were back.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Before randomization, I couldn't get the specific high-end (agapite+) ore types I wanted most of the time without using Garg picks and/or Prospector Tools. I DEFINITELY couldn't get Frostwood from the known trees. Note that the guy who had all the accounts with houses burned full of scripted and duped stuff had FOUR houses on my shard, which was TOO YOUNG to have more than one house per account.

After Randomization, I could get all the ore I wanted, just not necessarily the ones I need, as scripters could script anywhere.

My opinion is that returning to fixed spots will just encourage the return of specific-spot scripters. It won't help resource gatherers, just cause the scripters to have to redo their code. And, once their code is redone, we'll be back to the BS that CAUSED the randomization in the first place (where gatherers had to get insanely lucky to jump a fixed spot before a scripter for the top end). IF you're just mining Gold or less or chopping Yew or less, Resource Gatherers MIGHT benefit, but for the 100-skill wood and agapite+ ore, it's pretty much handing control of the supply over to the scripters.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The scripters already have control of the supply, because they gathered all the years, randomized or static. Look at the houses with million of stones in chest at the stairs to the house. Static resources would just bring more high end resources to Britannia. I could get high end resources 12-14 years ago when the population on our shard was as high as a medium/high populated shard nowadays. Land masses got bigger, more spots to find high end ore, harder to cover all spots for scripters. And there is always ilshenar and Eodon as scripter free zones as they cant recall in to the spots. With more high end resources available prices will drop, most honest miners can get what they need = less attractive for scripters.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
If you where at a tree/ ore vein when it respawned you always got some of it resources, no matter how many others where there. Not being able to get anything sounds very strange to me. Now on the other hand you have to work / play a lot of hours to barely get anything of the highest ore / wood. So at least for me static resources worked much better than it is today.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have always said random favors scripters. Honest miners and people with a life dont have time to hunt that elusive random crap, but bots work day in and day out without worrying about it.

It will never be reverted tho, of that I am certain.

1. They probably couldn't figure out how to revert it without crashing the whole game.

2. Mesanna is not one to admit a mistake...

Merth

Journeyman
My opinion after giving this alot of thought, i think either system benefits the scriptor. They run bots 24/7 and maybe get less high end ore than before but still have a distinct advantage. The bigger benefit to randomization means honest miners have even less chance of getting high end ores. Thereby causing scriptors a larger advantage to selling. I love to mine but even with my enjoyment of it I can only get (on average) less than 100 ingots of the top 3 ores in a couple hours. I dont know if scriptors have figured out a way to do ships but it seems scuttling ships is more time efficient to get ore than actually mining.

Once again i think the only real solution is to actively punish/suspend/ban scriptors.

Im sure it would be very time consuming to follow characters around and watch the activity but you have to start somewhere. Could also offer a bounty for players that report activity that is then proven. That would incentivize players to actively report suspicious behavior and give enforcers a place to start.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im sure it would be very time consuming to follow characters around and watch the activity but you have to start somewhere. Could also offer a bounty for players that report activity that is then proven. That would incentivize players to actively report suspicious behavior and give enforcers a place to start.
Broadsword just has zero interest in banning any paying account. Good luck hitting that report button :) Small fishes get some jailtime once in a while. Big fishes don't even get touched.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Anyone who wants to use the official forums? Could you please post Fridgsters idea on resource handling? He wrote ...

"So why not randomize the locations once on server up and leave them static until server down..."

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think the reason most people believe that scripters now have the advantage is because most of us can't mine/lumberjack 24/7 on a script. People who are doing it for the money are not at the keyboard, I think it's less of a problem now on some shards than it was some years ago. I can do maybe one hour before I get sick of it, possibly two if I use a macro to avoid tendonitis but it's boring and I often fall asleep. Even if scripters no longer exist they won't change it back, just because...the reasons for doing it in the first place didn't even make sense as the scripters had way more time to find the high end stuff than the rest of us. I would assume a lot of the veterans that have been around for 20 years have such huge stock-piles of stuff now that they rarely go resource gathering anyway. I did like Fridgsters idea, it's a half-way compromise.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before randomization, I couldn't get the specific high-end (agapite+) ore types I wanted most of the time without using Garg picks and/or Prospector Tools.
Sorry, love... thats 100% NOT true.

I remember my early days in UO... and mining... and mining... filling the crafter supply box. My miner had a book for the rarer ores to do some specialty mining... but again, this was before pet bonding… so it was another whole level of fun. Mostly, I wondered around outside Wind... in that wonderful mountainous area... KNOWING something high was coming up like valorite and... low and behold, a script miner would pop in and steal it. If not? I got it! We didnt have prospecting tools yet... and it was rare to find a gargoyle pick... and that was free-rang ore collection for a pet (less shadow). BUT... again, I remember some special elementals that spawned in T2A that gave other then iron.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My opinion after giving this alot of thought, i think either system benefits the scriptor. They run bots 24/7 and maybe get less high end ore than before but still have a distinct advantage. (and so on)
I agree. The question I have is... with the slackened in-game support I've seen where you dont even appear to be in the help line any more... how can you trust reporting criminals? It was bad enough years ago, when you'd see nothing happening for hours. Today, next day, you will see an email with the same "thank you for reporting... we refuse to tell you anything" form message. But yeah! :) Its more then having bots running 23.5 hours a day. I know, even from years ago, these guys have no problem running disposable accounts till the get busted. Look at the gold seller that drops books all over the game... AND blasts on the in-game chat.

Sadly... no such thing as too much resources, ShriNayne. Like anything I collect for processing and sales... "if it stacks... keep collecting them". Goes for seeds, savage berries... whatever. Also, these books and such that collects non-stackables? Power Scrolls, MIB/SOS, mass seeds in the seed box... whatever. Anything to cut down on storage, raw-stack... its a really good thing. Ingots even today... are marketable.

All and all, I'd say its a failed system... randomizing. They want to combat scripters, a stronger security would have been the better path. Listen to reports, act quickly. This has just never been a game staff priority in a long time. Not even sure when it appeared to stop. All I know is I still find books all over Luna selling gold for cash. I still see script miners. Really shocked, actually... but they even have their bots respond to anyone calling them out.

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My two complaints about wood and ore gathering is the spawn rate of the higher end of each. In my storeroom of my plot, I have hundreds of thousands of each wood from normal to ash. Everything above that, I barely have over a couple of thousand. I have gone months between seeing trees that spawn Frostwood and Bloodwood. As for ore, I can get all I want up to Agapite. Valorite and Verite might as well not exist. When I do find the top ores, I constantly fail the smelting attempt. A full stack of about 24 large ore only yields about 2-4 ingots after my many "fails" of smelting the ore. UO is the only universe that causes metal that is contained in ore to evaporate in a failed smelting attempt.

Merth

Journeyman
My two complaints about wood and ore gathering is the spawn rate of the higher end of each. In my storeroom of my plot, I have hundreds of thousands of each wood from normal to ash. Everything above that, I barely have over a couple of thousand. I have gone months between seeing trees that spawn Frostwood and Bloodwood. As for ore, I can get all I want up to Agapite. Valorite and Verite might as well not exist. When I do find the top ores, I constantly fail the smelting attempt. A full stack of about 24 large ore only yields about 2-4 ingots after my many "fails" of smelting the ore. UO is the only universe that causes metal that is contained in ore to evaporate in a failed smelting attempt.
I agree on the trees it seems the high ends just arent around but it simply may be there are so many trees that it just seems to never appear. After all who runs several tiles before chopping another tree. I disagree on the high end ore I find verite and valorite spots...multiple everytime i dig but they never have more than a couple ore in them. If they want to keep it this way at least make the site spawn only that one ore not valorite and iron or verite and iron. By the way I only dig in ilshnar. Mushroom cave to be exact.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know they have new totems that "help" with ore smelting. I have no desire to worry about them.

I've always just used 10 stacks at a time and let it ride. I'm sure that was the top 3... so, you can just go bonkers with the lower ones.

Loads of things just violate all logic in my book... BUT thats just the game. :) Got to let it roll. Like thorn timers. Takes so long to collect a load of vines, I want to fall asleep. hehe

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First time I've actually spent much time mining in years was for the build up to the new Khaldun event... I spent some time mining and lumberjacking and such to get the supplies I'd need of caddalite infused materials...

I found several spots of verite and valorite just using the pick purchased at the shop there near the dungeon... nothing special at all....

However while lumberjacking I almost NEVER saw anything above Ash... and not ONCE did I find a Frostwood tree. Not ONCE. I must have hit Valorite like 3 or 4 times... Verite at least 4 or 5... but NEVER Frostwood. And 1 time I found a tree with bloodwood, and maybe 1 or 2 trees with Heartwood... Now mind you I did almost all my lumberjacking around Papua... Mining I got on my boat sailed out of Papua and went all around the perimeter of T2A with my boat... mining everything around the edge... and I mean EVERYTHING... and for those of you crying about getting deposits of Niter for making the powder for cannons... I got TONS of that just doing what I did... Every 2 or 3 locations I hit some... had so much on my boat at one point I had to mine it to actually be able to move on my boat...

Merth

Journeyman
First time I've actually spent much time mining in years was for the build up to the new Khaldun event... I spent some time mining and lumberjacking and such to get the supplies I'd need of caddalite infused materials...

I found several spots of verite and valorite just using the pick purchased at the shop there near the dungeon... nothing special at all....

However while lumberjacking I almost NEVER saw anything above Ash... and not ONCE did I find a Frostwood tree. Not ONCE. I must have hit Valorite like 3 or 4 times... Verite at least 4 or 5... but NEVER Frostwood. And 1 time I found a tree with bloodwood, and maybe 1 or 2 trees with Heartwood... Now mind you I did almost all my lumberjacking around Papua... Mining I got on my boat sailed out of Papua and went all around the perimeter of T2A with my boat... mining everything around the edge... and I mean EVERYTHING... and for those of you crying about getting deposits of Niter for making the powder for cannons... I got TONS of that just doing what I did... Every 2 or 3 locations I hit some... had so much on my boat at one point I had to mine it to actually be able to move on my boat...
This is basically my experience as well, tho i will say luck on suit is crucial for finding niter deposits. Doesnt have to be alot but with no luck well “no luck”

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MalagAste, as a miner and lumberjack myself, I've had pretty much the same results. I do find verite and valorite frequently enough. Would still like more. Frostwood however is near non-existent. Heartwood and Bloodwood aren't very much better.

Before resources were randomized I had spent over a year making my runebooks for lumberjack. I could have made 100 books for Oak and Ash. Thirty books for Yew. Ten books for Bloodwood & Heartwood. I never found 32 spots, 2 runebooks, for Frostwood.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry, love... thats 100% NOT true.

I remember my early days in UO... and mining... and mining... filling the crafter supply box. My miner had a book for the rarer ores to do some specialty mining... but again, this was before pet bonding… so it was another whole level of fun. Mostly, I wondered around outside Wind... in that wonderful mountainous area... KNOWING something high was coming up like valorite and... low and behold, a script miner would pop in and steal it. If not? I got it! We didnt have prospecting tools yet... and it was rare to find a gargoyle pick... and that was free-rang ore collection for a pet (less shadow). BUT... again, I remember some special elementals that spawned in T2A that gave other then iron.
Sorry, but you're DEAD WRONG. 100% AND THEN SOME. You're starting with a flawed understanding and horribly outdated info, then going off into the wilderness.

First of all, why are you DWELLING ON A PAST THAT HAS NO RELEVANCE ON TODAY? Pre-Third Dawn (if not pre-Ren) UO has little to do with the game from LBR and later - and definitely not today. You seem to be citing the PRE-BOD era. Last I checked, it's been 17+ years since November 2001. By 2003, people were tossing PT & GPA on the ground in town when they redeemed the BODs, as they already had TOO MANY at home. And, Ironically, I found myself one of the few people that actually built characters to MAXIMIZE their use, and would pick them up.

Second, you seem to be FIXATED on JUST MINING. Random vs. Fixed involves TWO different types of resources now (metals and woods), not just mining.

Third, Those T2A elementals were gone LONG AGO. WELL BEFORE AoS. By AoS, all that were left were Dull Copper Elementals in Compassion Desert and Terort Skitas (and they only give 2 DC ore, and were not part of the Earth Elemental Slayer group, just elemental superslayer, for years), and then the Shadow elemental was reintroduced in the Yomotsu Mines in 2004, with SE. Other than garg picks, the rest have only been around once since - for a COUPLE MONTHS AS INVASION CREATURES. It's easier to farm ORC BRUTES for shadow ore than the elemental.

Lastly, Randomized Spawn didn't come in until August 2007. I got to experience 4+ years of static spot mining (As I started playing during AoS), with a year of static lumberjacking, and competing with the scripters was NOT FUN even on one of the LOWEST population shards- which is why I stopped using most of my marked spots when paragons were introduced, and took to mining in Ilshenar (where you couldn't recall in) for the fun as much as the ore. I probably would have given up on crafting had I had to compete with the Atlantic populations.

With FIXED spawn:

With Mining, there is a chance of finding a spot that a scripter hasn't got to - The lower the shard's population and number of scripters, the greater the chance. But, it's usually a low quality spot.

At the height of the issue (right before the burning houses incident), even low-population shards were undergoing massive scripting by a NON-RESIDENT, and about the only spots that were not being scripted were ones where the colored ore yield was 20% or less chance (and even some of THOSE were being hit). Furthermore, when those of us tried to sell our ingots at what HAD been the standard prices, the scripters would use one of the illegal search sites, find them, then buy them to either mark up 300-500%, or to cross-shard to Atlantic (and/or to sell online as RMT). Ingots that had been priced 40-120 each, suddenly were 500 each or more, if they could even be found on the non-Atlantic shards anymore. Randomization was a pain, but it (and the huge banning) made the colored ore more available.

The real issue with static spawns is with WOODS, which were introduced in Mondain's Legacy (2006). The problem with Woods is that the 3 most valuable woods are reserved for GM Lumberjacks, so there's no way to establish a supply of them training up, and that the resource squares are so rare for them than when one is found, it became SCRIPTED, often by MULTIPLE scripters. I LITERALLY sat at a Frostwood spot in Malas for an hour (2 screens from the houses of my guildmasters at the time), never getting a swing in, because FOUR different scripters would pop in and out trying to chop the tree - often with 1 or 2 of them showing up while another one of them was already chopping. Ironically, 2 of them were using a script that was Fel-optimized and immediately recalled back out on seeing another name - but Frostwood was so rare that EVERY facet's known trees were scripted (as was bloodwood and heartwood). Even the ILSHENAR trees with the high-end trio of woods had scripters that would run in from the nearest moongate on programmed rails, if they were located in areas that were relatively safe. Something that the ore scripters didn't do because there was more than enough ore spots where they could recall mine.

With RANDOM spots

Mining: The scripters tend to find remote spots with higher yields. Everyone else can mine elsewhere. The randomization SUCKS for trying to get specific ore, but it SUCKS FOR SCRIPTERS AND PLAYERS ALIKE. The Scripters, though, still come out better in the end, because they are automated.

Woods: Now, NO ONE can easily find colored wood - but even though randomization has been around a decade, the supply from the scripters has never really dropped (probably a mix of the lack of demand once everyone who was doing the museum getting done by the time randomization had an effect, and again the scripts not needing sleep). The regular users are the ones hurt, but with a LOT of effort can find the woods.

The truth is, NEITHER situation is optimal. And that MINING is NOT the skill with the issue.

The Scripters come out ahead with BOTH - but Randomization is more fair to miners than for lumberjacks - while Static makes the high-end colored woods even MORE difficult than with random, for the non-scripter lumberjack.

The REAL fix would be:

1. Redo the minimum skills to log Yew, Heartwood, Bloodwood, and Frostwood
  2. Add PT & GPA type tools to Lumberjacking
If that was done Static vs. Random would be a MOOT POINT.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste, as a miner and lumberjack myself, I've had pretty much the same results. I do find verite and valorite frequently enough. Would still like more. Frostwood however is near non-existent. Heartwood and Bloodwood aren't very much better.

Before resources were randomized I had spent over a year making my runebooks for lumberjack. I could have made 100 books for Oak and Ash. Thirty books for Yew. Ten books for Bloodwood & Heartwood. I never found 32 spots, 2 runebooks, for Frostwood.
You were lucky - I never found more than 6 spots you could recall to for Frostwood, and they had 4+ competing scripters for them, on LA.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but you're DEAD WRONG. 100% AND THEN SOME. You're starting with a flawed understanding and horribly outdated info, then going off into the wilderness.
Bla, bla, bla… whatever.

Nice attitude for a moderator.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You were lucky - I never found more than 6 spots you could recall to for Frostwood, and they had 4+ competing scripters for them, on LA.
It took me a full year to get those. I checked every 8x8 resource tile in Fel, Tram and Malas meticulously.

You are correct about the scripters though. More than half the spots I marked Frostwood also had a scripter or two chopping it all day everyday.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO the need to have random ore/wood no longer exists. In order to mine/chop high end ore/wood you need a paid account at what $15 a month. Does EA/BS/UO/player base think it is really worth setting up a paid resource gather scripter account. Even scripting 23 hr a day for 30 days does anybody think they could gather enough high end resources to make it pay, I DO NOT.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree with Lord Frodo there is no need for it now, but I would also say that the changes they did make didn't have that much effect on the people who were cheating anyway. It did make life harder for the rest of us especially with high end wood. There are certainly better ways for cheaters to spend their time nowadays and they do.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It took me a full year to get those. I checked every 8x8 resource tile in Fel, Tram and Malas meticulously.

You are correct about the scripters though. More than half the spots I marked Frostwood also had a scripter or two chopping it all day everyday.
Yep and those are the ones where I would go Drop a single log of Frostwood on the ground and wait... eventually I'd come back to find a nice fat stack of it that they had so nicely chopped for me...

Knowing how their scripts work is a big part of that... if you just drop a log next to were they are recalling since they use UOAssist as part of their program that "stacks" the wood but will drop it to the stack on the ground if there is one there... making it easy to get them to work for you. Mind you you can lose with that too as someone else can come by and snag the resources as well... or the scripter might at some point notice what you are doing... but it worked with ore as well...

I called it out scripting the scripter...

Was more fun to go and tame a bunch of WW's and let them go at the location they were dropping off at too.... If in Fel come back and pick their corpse clean... but meh.... I don't care anymore since obviously, Broadsword doesn't seem to care either.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bla, bla, bla… whatever.

Nice attitude for a moderator.
Basara has extensive knowledge from actually playing and researching aspects of the game - BEFORE being a mod. SO that argument is way off base and should have an apology delivered.

In fact your observations on some of the stuff in this thread have been somewhat outdated. Perhaps more gaming is needed?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did I get my wish? I might have gotten my wish. The same mining spots are giving me agapite and golden for days now. Too bad I have found no verite or valorite spots -- might have to get out a prospector tool and a gargish pickaxe.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only partly. Out of 300 of so spots, I found one verite and guess what? That one turned into iron.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only partly. Out of 300 of so spots, I found one verite and guess what? That one turned into iron.
That's because the spots have a chance (yeah meaning the wonderful RNG is involved) to change ore type. What I do to harvest valorite is take a prospector tool and gargoyle pickaxe and start sampling spots. When I find a spot that can give valorite I'll mark a rune. I do this till I fill a runebook. Then I'll cycle through the runes mining each spot over and over until all the spots change away from valorite. Plus with the garg pickaxe that val elementals provide great boosts to my ingot count.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fridge, I wish I could. I am looking specifically for valorite caddellite. Unfortunately I can't upgrade twice (prospector tool then gargoyle pickaxe) because of the requirement for using the caddellite pickaxe.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fridge, I wish I could. I am looking specifically for valorite caddellite. Unfortunately I can't upgrade twice (prospector tool then gargoyle pickaxe) because of the requirement for using the caddellite pickaxe.
Stinks but you can still ise the same process. Will take a bit longer though.