• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

REMINDER!! New Legacy Live Stream Starting NOW!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have a meeting to attend now but so far I am LOVING everything I have heard.

No powerscrolls
Housing sounds great...you have to work to get a plot and work to keep it.
Travel changes sound amazing.

Seasons/climate changes and armor sounds cool! Like if you are in a colder climate and you're not wearing a warm coat you get de-buffs.

Have to be properly equipped for the weather.

NO EM's on NL

Not big on PvP but the changes sound nice.

I will have to watch whatever is left after my meeting.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of good info. You can watch it again from the link in top post. Glad they stuck to NL stuff.
IMO 1 year is too long for a season.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I get it. Think of this as Ultima the way it started.

You played Ultima and complete the objectives. You won!

Ultima II hits the shelf so you go buy it, insert your disk, have a ton of fun on this adventure. You complete the objective woo hoo

Ultima III hits the shelf. You go buy it, insert your disk, have a ton of fun on this adventure. You complete the objective hot damn that was awesome

Ultima IV arrives "Cutting edge graphics" for the time you see the blue gate and go for it!

Ultima V You see the ad buy the box and you are back into your favorite world with a new adventure.

All these scenarios when the adventure ends and the new one begins you brought nothing forward.

The bonus is at the end of each adventure you have the option to transfer to the live ongoing shard instead of waiting for the next season.

All in all this doesn't sound bad and you get to make a few choices in regards to what you wish to do with your own legacy.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like you can keep your character on the shard and have a head start in skill training. But all items will be gone.
Sounds like you can keep your character on the shard and have a head start in skill training. But all items will be gone.
I took it that if you want your goodies on prodo that your char is wiped but if you stay for 2nd season you keep skills and mementos, not 100% sure. I hope a GOOD note taker picks it all apart for us.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just click the link in the op you can watch it now.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Housing:

In order to obtain a housing spot/plat/land order you must first prove that you are worthy to own one.

Example from Kyronix:
If you want a land spot in the Trinsic Swamps, first you must prove to the Trinsic council that you are worthy of it, perhaps by clearing the spot of the critters that inhabit that spot.

Once you complete the request, you must *Pay Taxes*, basically upkeep of your land by performing tasks at various intervals.

At the end of the season, your house will be destroyed by fire raining from above (Your house goes poof)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
question I had was am I going to have to make new accounts to start or can I use my current accounts??

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You can use your current accounts.

Also another thing, EJ accounts cannot have houses.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And it was said that you can have 2 chars per account but did not say if that was both paid and EJ type accounts.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the sound of quest based systems to gain skills. Kyronix gave a peek on the UO forums:

how we envision skill & character progression to go. Everything is objective based and we are really focusing on removing arbitrary time sinks (craft 1,000,000 shirts to GM). We want it to be fun and immersive, and not feel like a chore. Looking forward to that stream when it comes along!

Punktee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I hope they use more of an older-school item system like UOR.
I know they want to "get out of" the pixel collecting, but if they were going that route, they should have released some collectable items that persist throughout seasons, kind of like (I've been here for a while type thing), that doesn't affect gameplay at all.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Idk, the only actual content they showed was Bleak running around empty woods. Not a single NPC or world object apart from trees. Looks like they still have years of development ahead and not like anything from the trailer in the first hangout.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I get it. Think of this as Ultima the way it started.

You played Ultima and complete the objectives. You won!

Ultima II hits the shelf so you go buy it, insert your disk, have a ton of fun on this adventure. You complete the objective woo hoo

Ultima III hits the shelf. You go buy it, insert your disk, have a ton of fun on this adventure. You complete the objective hot damn that was awesome

Ultima IV arrives "Cutting edge graphics" for the time you see the blue gate and go for it!

Ultima V You see the ad buy the box and you are back into your favorite world with a new adventure.

All these scenarios when the adventure ends and the new one begins you brought nothing forward.

The bonus is at the end of each adventure you have the option to transfer to the live ongoing shard instead of waiting for the next season.

All in all this doesn't sound bad and you get to make a few choices in regards to what you wish to do with your own legacy.
I like the idea of playing for a season, completing objectives, and that's the end of the game (or at least that season), mission accomplished. I don't care about a "legacy" or ending up with any pixel reminders. I played Ultima 6-9 and all the expansions, as well as Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Baldur's Gates, Neverwinter Nights, etc. I liked the idea of developing a character while I completed a story line and moving on to the next game (or season). I hope Legacy somewhat fills that need.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think I heard Legacy will be the same client as now. Does that mean we would be using either classic or enhanced just as we do now? How about Pinco's? Anybody heard anything about that?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well I watched it but it all still seems so vague, they didn't seem to have any concrete set of rules or basic information, people were asking questions that they clearly had not given any thought to yet. All the talk of thieves was a bit worrying, can thieves steal your stuff wherever you are? Is there still insurance? I heard a lot of talk which didn't really tell me anything. Powerscrolls - probably not, is that a no or a maybe?
Seasons - fur-lined plate armour, ermmmm okay..... o_O

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It made sense to me.

A duty to deliver UO to a new market. Kyronix even said, when they play a lot of new games, they see and recognise content that clearly comes from UO - my boys play all the current games, and I'm forever telling them their content was all in UO years ago. The point is, games have not changed that much in a lot of senses, especially on mobile devices - there are a lot of Cookie Cutter game designs. Now the big big thing for me would be, will New Legacy fit on mobile devices - because then it could hit the Jackpot - because that is what all the kids are using.

Back to basics. If it sounds too complicated, it's not going to be in there.

1 map {Felucca}. Less recall spots. Trying to balance in Non consensual stuff by making it consensual yet still fun - you can opt out completely - probably the hardest task to balance, no power-scrolls, have to work to maintain a house, skills go up faster, it's mainly objective/achievement focused instead of hoarding focussed - everything will be wiped at the end of each season, except say character skills and your book of legacy.
It will run completely independently of current shards - but some of their concepts there may find their way to production if it fits - for example the VvV concept.

It's not necessarily going to be for all of us, by a long way, it's very designed for a new market, some of us may like it, some may not - it's very definitely trying to recapture those first gaming moments of going into a new game.

It allows them to wipe the slate clean, and start again. For a new market. We can join in or not.

I really like and get the concept. Whether it suits me, or whether I will move to it, I do not know. Siege Perilous is currently the shard that suits my playstyle the most, yet I stay on Europa because I have been there for 20 odd years - I'm fully invested there - and maybe it is production that suits my playstyle the most, I don't know. That's hard to say goodbye to - and it would be the same for this New Legacy. So like Siege, I fully get it, I fully support it, I may not go to it, if I don't see a PvP concept that suits me - and it really looks like a Trammel concept to me, lovely, but not necessarily enough for me in terms of adrenalin action or content.

But I like a lot of what else it does. I don't mind starting again, but then I like being fully equipped and the playstyle on Europa etc. The wipe concept, and so much of it's concepts are brilliant, like they said, it's what UO is meant to be, they are trying to get back to that, which I get.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet. Was it all talk or did they have some in-game demos of the gameplay they're talking about?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were only 200+ watchers.
But they talk about nl if it would be the biggest and boldest thing for all player.
What did they Show? Nothing. A lost hour for me.
They didn't post a message on UO.com and then even unlisted the stream on youtube (meaning you could only find it if you knew about the newsletter). They knew they had nothing to show and only cheap talk. They don't need new players, just the old ones to keep paying for another couple years until Mesanna retires.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A duty to deliver UO to a new market. Kyronix even said, when they play a lot of new games, they see and recognise content that clearly comes from UO - my boys play all the current games, and I'm forever telling them their content was all in UO years ago. The point is, games have not changed that much in a lot of senses, especially on mobile devices - there are a lot of Cookie Cutter game designs. Now the big big thing for me would be, will New Legacy fit on mobile devices - because then it could hit the Jackpot - because that is what all the kids are using.
Mobile is great for tiktoks and that stuff. Go check youtube or twitch. There are tons of people making a living from playing games, and I can't recall a single one doing it on mobile. The "kids" are still using their playstations, xboxs, Wiis or PCs for proper gaming besides some casual crap on their mobiles.

And UO didn't invent gaming either, despite BS acting like it.

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet. Was it all talk or did they have some in-game demos of the gameplay they're talking about?
All talk, they did have Bleak running through a forest which apparently showed changing seasons, which seems to be an excuse to make fur-lined armour! :rolleyes:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bleak running around empty woods for a minute in autumn, winter, spring and summer themes. They didn't even show how a winter town would look like. Bet trees is all they got at this point.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought the seasons on trees was always there, just not turned on...

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well good on them for diving deeper into how these systems are going to work. That's a step in the right direction. I would have expected to see more demo of those features this far into development - if all they have at this point is seasons then I would expect a protracted development schedule for NL.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never seen anyone as negative in life as you two, you are made for each other. :)
You must have not read the comments on the stream then :)

And maybe you can enlighten me to whats the benefits of not posting the stream on UO.com and unlisting it on youtube a day before it's start? They even said they want to reach new players with it, but then hide it from anyone not subscribed to the newsletter *shrugs*

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were only 200+ watchers.
But they talk about nl if it would be the biggest and boldest thing for all player.
What did they Show? Nothing. A lost hour for me.
2,241 views •Streamed live 23 hours ago

Good try, most people watched it after work of if they live across the pond watched it when they got up.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Idk, the only actual content they showed was Bleak running around empty woods. Not a single NPC or world object apart from trees. Looks like they still have years of development ahead and not like anything from the trailer in the first hangout.
At that janky 15 fps client speed too. Made me hurt to watch.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Serious question : what does spaghetti code mean? I've heard messana say this a couple of times now in reference to the older uo . But I've never understood exactly why she calls it that .

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Spaghetti code

Spaghetti code is a pejorative phrase for unstructured and difficult-to-maintain source code. Spaghetti code can be caused by several factors, such as volatile project requirements, lack of programming style rules, and software engineers with insufficient ability or experience. Wikipedia

Basically - tooz manie kookz in da kitchen fur da past 20 sumting yearz...

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In the book Braving Brittania, there’s a part that talks about the code of UO. Apparently they didn’t really expect it to take off like it did so a good amount of the code was done without much thought of longevity. Plus this was the 90s and a lot of code best practices didn’t really exist.

I’ve picked up the responsibilities of taking over websites before and I can say from experience that getting something that was coded really confusingly can be an absolute nightmare.

Punktee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think the short answer of all of this is in regards to recreating older era classic servers for the fans is pretty much... (We don't have the time to do it nor the developers). Spaghetti code is likely an excuse used because it wouldn't be worth their "time" on their "budget".
I'm not sure when they began versioning their code or what the oldest "versioning" of their code is. As developers I can be pretty confident that they don't just write their code without versioning.

So if they ever wanted to release older era classic servers, and as someone who's worked on freeshards for a very long time. To go from like SA versioned code (just guesstimating that they at least have that code versioned) to get a very solidly working UOR, T2A or AOS version of that I don't think would take even over a year. It probably would be less..

But again, at the end of the day, the answer is likely, do they have the budget to pay a developer to work on this for up to a year to have a soidly working demo in which the team can all then collaborate together and make changes faster. I would imagine not, given their pace of innovation and content updates.

I don't want to sound like I'm against them, I'm just saying realistically they probably just lack the budget to do so because they still have a job of maintaining the current game.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love some of the things the Devs have done and I love Ultima Online. But to be honest, I have yet to see any appeal to stepping foot into the new shard thing they are trying. It won't bring in new players.... it will only water the game down more. I don't see why they are focusing so much on things like seasons.... when I built my houses far up north because of the snow and now they won't even turn snow back on during the winter on the regular shards.

They halfway fixed IDOCS (can get more loot now.) But the scripters are still there, they refuse to ban them. They refuse to block EJ from general chat so the scripters have an endless means to spam. All of that turns off true players. People login to play a game, they don't want to see how much money someone is making.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sounds like it could be giving many people much of what they've been asking for (potentially).

High level sounds like they have addressed:
  • The scripting of house placement (20 bot accounts will need to have favorable rep wherever they want to script placing)
  • Making crafting relevant again (climate type armor will be important which might mean more crafting)
  • Thieving sounds like it could be made relevant
  • Skill gain seems like it won't be boring drawn out tedious macroing

The one concern I don't think they really addressed though is about game traffic. It seems like it is kind of geared towards people who played UO long ago, which is fine but not sure if that will move the needle in terms of subscriptions. I think this issue could then compounded by how many people decide to play NL from the current player subscriptions. In a sense it could become a victim of its own success because it could take players away from live shards, which could completely ghost a few lower pop shards.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To add with @Keven2002 It is also going to depend where the server is located as to what people are going to be able to do. But the rest so far sounds good.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like it could be giving many people much of what they've been asking for (potentially).

High level sounds like they have addressed:
  • The scripting of house placement (20 bot accounts will need to have favorable rep wherever they want to script placing)
  • Making crafting relevant again (climate type armor will be important which might mean more crafting)
  • Thieving sounds like it could be made relevant
  • Skill gain seems like it won't be boring drawn out tedious macroing

The one concern I don't think they really addressed though is about game traffic. It seems like it is kind of geared towards people who played UO long ago, which is fine but not sure if that will move the needle in terms of subscriptions. I think this issue could then compounded by how many people decide to play NL from the current player subscriptions. In a sense it could become a victim of its own success because it could take players away from live shards, which could completely ghost a few lower pop shards.
If the shard gets wiped every season, none of the housing or any of that matters. The only things that will matter is what you can take back to the forever shards.

The only way they can fix crafting is by allowing players to craft gear better than the legendary items that are available.... that way crafters could grind out pieces to try to make that super max suit (using Excel spreadsheets and all of the plus and minuses we were using before they destroyed crafting.) Reforging was a huge success.... then they simply destroyed that and all of crafting by introducing legendary items. The only way to fix crafting is to restore the balance.... where a 120 blacksmith, 120 tailor, 120 reforger can make the best items in game.... ie... better than what drops from monsters if enough time is put in. And I don't mean leave Harrowers and Exodus dropping better gear only, I mean crafters make the best period. Players do not want to buy the best from reds and certain groups. Crafters want to craft the best.

It could definitely help in ghosting shards. That is what I worry about most. They should have consolidated areas / shards.... not made a new one with a dwindling player base. I just simply don't get these game designer's decisions. Half of the choices they make are purely idiotic.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the shard gets wiped every season, none of the housing or any of that matters. The only things that will matter is what you can take back to the forever shards.

The only way they can fix crafting is by allowing players to craft gear better than the legendary items that are available.... that way crafters could grind out pieces to try to make that super max suit (using Excel spreadsheets and all of the plus and minuses we were using before they destroyed crafting.) Reforging was a huge success.... then they simply destroyed that and all of crafting by introducing legendary items. The only way to fix crafting is to restore the balance.... where a 120 blacksmith, 120 tailor, 120 reforger can make the best items in game.... ie... better than what drops from monsters if enough time is put in. And I don't mean leave Harrowers and Exodus dropping better gear only, I mean crafters make the best period. Players do not want to buy the best from reds and certain groups. Crafters want to craft the best.

It could definitely help in ghosting shards. That is what I worry about most. They should have consolidated areas / shards.... not made a new one with a dwindling player base. I just simply don't get these game designer's decisions. Half of the choices they make are purely idiotic.
I do not think you will have all that LEET gear on this new shard from the sounds of it, like it was pre AoS. There was no reforging or imbuing, only Runic made gear/weps and if you got lucky you made a few good pieces with each kit and everything lasted forever because it was all repairable and PoF able. No there was no Ins so you tended to hunt with others that could rez you so your body didn't decay with all your gear on it.

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not think you will have all that LEET gear on this new shard from the sounds of it, like it was pre AoS. There was no reforging or imbuing, only Runic made gear/weps and if you got lucky you made a few good pieces with each kit and everything lasted forever because it was all repairable and PoF able. No there was no Ins so you tended to hunt with others that could rez you so your body didn't decay with all your gear on it.
I was talking about normal shards w/ crafting. I have zero interest in playing the new shard.... it'll be like siege for me, something that exists only in the imagination.