• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Reforging....some things I understand and some things I don't.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Now, to start with what I understand and I hope this is correct, if not please tell me....
If I would reforge an item, for example a plate mail tunic with a valorite runic hammer, then I get 5 mods with a minimum intensity of 85% and a maximum intensity of 100%. With the classic standart use of this hammer, the 5 mods will be completly random, where with runic reforging near a soulforge I can choose 2 groups of mods by giving a name to my tunic - a name with a prefix and a suffix. Now if I want a strength bonus for my tunic I choose Mighty / of Vitality as a name. Now if I also want an intelligence bonus, I choose Mystic / of Sorcery as the second name.

Now Mighty / of Vitality gives either HPI, HPR, STR bonus, Damage Eater, Kinetic Eater, Fire Eater, Cold Eater, Poison Eater or Energy Eater. Now is the chance for the desird STR Bonus 1 out of 9, so 11.1%?

Mystic / of Sorcery gives either INT Bonus, LMC, MI, MR. So the desired INT bonus has a chance of 1 out of 4, so 25%

With this, 2 mods are covered, but since I used a valorite hammer, which gives 5 mods, the remaining 3 mods are totally random?
And with the 5 mods used, there is no space anymore to imbue this tunic.

So the more I want to imbue after reforging, the lesser my reforing hammer should be?

Now for reforging a weapon with HLL, I choose the name Mystic / of Sorcery and have a chance to get the HLL mod of 1 out of 4, so 25%? I see here: http://www.uoguide.com/Reforging that the HLL mod is capped at 70%. I have seen several discussions here where you talk about HLL 100%..........now how is that possible?
With that we have arrived at the things I don't understand....
Now how high can my HLL get by choosing only Powerful Re-forging, since I don't want my weapon to be brittle or "cannot be repaired" or stuff like that?

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Up The Irons,
Henzy
of The Ruskin Arms on Drachenfels

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Reforging can give over 100% intensity. For example 150 luck (150% intensity), or 10 stamina increase (125%), 3 MR (150%), 100 Hit Mana Leech on a Scimitar (133%) etc. Also, reforging with a valorite hammer can give more than 5 properties.

You're on the right track with the mods. No one is quite sure if each mod within a given named-group has the same %, or if some are more common than others. Also, sometimes even when you choose a named group, you will go outside the group. Also, it seems that once you've chosen a property once, that doesn't prevent you from choosing it a 2nd time. I've never seen it confirmed by any dev, but that is my theory on how they arrive at the overcapped properties. You're not landing on 150 luck once... you're landing twice on 100 luck and hitting the cap, for instance. This is consistent with the observed reality that on smaller hammers you seem to get either 2 weak properties, or 1 quite strong one. In the case of something like Mighty which has a family within a family, it may be that landing on STR is 1 in 5, as is landing on "eater" but within eater each eater type is 1 in 6. I haven't played with this property group enough to make a strong observation.

In general it seems to work like this. For each property the hammer will give, it is totally random. If you choose the named title, that guarantees that 1 of the properties is in that group, and then it seems like the chance that each subsequent property is in that group is maybe 80%. This is hard to say for sure, because there are so many properties that appear in 2 or more groups, so once you're talking about getting 6 or 7 properties it's hard to say for sure where it comes from. It also seems like commonly you get a bunch of resists too, so I'm not sure if it's more common to land on resists as your out-of-group properties or not.

If you want to reforge then imbue, yes, lesser hammers are better, mainly because they're more "controllable". For instance, when you want a good dexxer piece, you're generally wanting HCI/DCI, LMC, STAMINA, ... but those come from 3 different groups. It'd be exceedingly rare to reforge that with a valorite hammer. I suspect one has yet to be reforged, in fact. So most people use a lesser hammer and just try for the 5% HCI or DCI, or +10 stam. I've made a really nice shield with an agapite hammer, but now we're talking about LBODS and it took me about 20 hammers before I got one I liked. Copper hammers are gotten with SBOD and easy to acquire ingots.

In general for HIT LEECH most people choose Vampiric/of the Vampire and can then sell off or whatever the ones they're not going for. That page is wrong, or at least doesn't give the whole story. All of the old hit leeches are reforgeable to 140% of their base intensity as determined by the weaponspeed equation. So for a ranged weapon, 70% is the hard cap, and for any weapon 70% HSL is the hard cap. For melee weapons which have the sliding scale, you can get 96% for 2.75s, and 100% for 3.0s and slower. Also, these are TRUE overcaps, in that even though it only SHOWS 100% and behaves like 100%... it's actually >100% behind the scenes. This allows, for instance, a 3.5s weapon to have both 100% HML and 15% SSI. I am not sure if the same holds true for ranged though, I never tried, but I suspect it would be possible to have a 4.0s ranged weapon with 15 or 20% SSI and 50% HML or HLL.

As for how high you can get the Hit Leech property, it depends on 1) ranged vs melee, 2) weaponspeed, 3) what tool you use. For instance, a copper hammer with powerful can get you to 140% of the cap for HML/HLL. So if you want a 96% leaf blade (normal max 0 68), that's what you use, and for broadswords that's what most use. I've never seen anyone write about it, but it may be that if you wanted a 100% Longsword (normal max 87) you only need 113% of the cap... maybe even a dull copper + powerful gets you there.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Tuan, thank you very much for shining a light in a (for me) dark area. I have one more question about an even more obscure region and maybe you can help me there also. Since I have a fisherman I found some strange things like polish and scour in my treasure chests. Checking out what this is for, brings me to Armor Refinement. Now when comes this into play? Before the reforging? Between the reforging and the imbuing? Or after the imbuing?
Again thanks in advance for your answers!!

Up The Irons,
Henzy
of The Ruskin Arms on Drachenfels

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refinement does not affect the actual properties of the piece, it affects your character's possible resist or defence chance increase cap.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
But (as far as I understand) it is the armor piece which is refined. With that it is a piece-property which tweaks the characters abilities........tricky.....

OK.....let me see if I understand it correctly now.....
If I would want to increase the resists, I use reinforcement
and I want to enhance as many resist as possible (5) I use scour of invulnaribility.
So, if I am extremely lucky and get the 5 modifications on all 6 pieces of the armour set, my caps would all be 76 instead of 70. Now this suit is worn by a legendary mystic, who also has 120 focus. He goes in stone form and his/her resists go to 81. Is this correct, and if so, don't you think it's pretty cool?

As usual: thanks in advance for your answers.
UP THE IRONS!!
Henzy
Lord of The Ruskin Arms on Drachenfels

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Like Petra says, it doesn't affect the piece, so I assume that you could use it whenever you wanted, but I think that in general that's the final step. Once you have your whole suit assembled... then just do the refinements. There's no downside to them, breaking pieces, getting the "wrong" resists etc., just only getting 4 instead of 5, but even then, you just get another refinement and try again without penalty.