• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Refinement thread needed for Craftman's Data Chest

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now that we have these new Refinement Componants, it would be nice if someone could put together a thread (for use in the Craftsman's Data Chest) regarding their use in crafting... What to use, when to use it, what to expect, etc...
How bout it, mods... Make one or at least put out the call...

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sounds like a good idea... Anyone familiar with the system enough to submit something?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't gotten the ingredients yet to make a 65/65/65/65/65 PvP suit, and in any case, I'm very reluctant to try it on one of my good suits. There's no way to remove refinements, except to do the opposite on another piece. For my characters that use glasses or a Hat of the Magi, five refinable pieces means it's be impossible to remove everything.

Instead, I'm working on a combat simulator, based on the official formulas, to test a 65/65/65/65/65 suit in PvP. Against a mage, those resists don't matter, because of Curse. Against a dexxer, is 70% DCI worth it? Any serious PvP dexxer uses Hit Lower Defense, which means a cap of 45% versus 29%. Until I get the simulator going, my guess is that the 16% DCI is not worth it, considering properties that must be given up.

My PvM archers avoid taking any contact damage, so for them I'm in the process of making 70/75/75/75/75 platemail suits. The -20 hit to DCI doesn't matter for PvM.

For my dexxers that go against 100% physical damage monsters, I reforged an HP14 suit with DCI on each piece. A Crimson and Conjurer's Trinket bring me to the HP18 cap. I'm still acquiring refinements to get the suit to 70/65/65/65/65 and 65% DCI.

For my dexxers that go against monsters that deal elemental damage, I believe straight 70s and 45% DCI are balanced. One could refine a specific suits for, say, dragons and balrons, dropping the cold resist max to gain a little DCI. The extra DCI is worth it, considering their direct damage doesn't involve cold, and they do minimal damage with Harm. I personally won't be making many specific suits. I have enough specific weapons and little enough housing space.

I would love, LOVE IT, more than chocolate cake with mint frosting and a cherry on top, if refinement effects could stack. For example, five separate Scour of Defense for platemail could be used on the same piece for all the resists -- instead of the rare Invulnerability refinement that has just a 30% chance for the fifth resist! And the beauty of this is the ability to create suits like 75/65/65/65/65 or 65/75/75/75/75.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I believe that for a dexer/sampire in the most cases 75 res all + 20 dci is better than 65 res all + 70 dci. Less damage more often easier to outleach and 50 res is easier to get than 50 dci.
For a mage seems dci is better. Less interrupts and less times when you need to cast healing spell.
Just IMHO.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that for a dexer/sampire in the most cases 75 res all + 20 dci is better than 65 res all + 70 dci. Less damage more often easier to outleach and 50 res is easier to get than 50 dci.
For a mage seems dci is better. Less interrupts and less times when you need to cast healing spell.
Just IMHO.
You also have the option of putting HLA on your weapon as a dexer to reduce how often you're taking damage.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for your good input, but could we please stay on topic.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my tests for "Perless Sampire" best is 75,75,70,75,75(Elf) with DCI 30.

This kind suit is aimed for doing Medusa, Dreadhorn and Paromyxos

Last edited:

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a starting point for any thread dealing with refinements - distribution/availability.

I have been stealing refinements in Fel and have logged over 250, recording type, armour and level (intensity). I'd like to run 1000+ but the numbers I have seen so far suggest that:

1. There is a 50% chance of the refinement being Deflecting or Reinforced
2. There is a 33% chance of the refinement being suited for each of Blacksmith crafted armour, Tailor crafted armour and Carpentry crafted armour
3. Within each crafting group, there is an equal chance of the refinement being suited for each of the armour types (Blacksmith - 6 types, Tailor - 4 types, Carpentry - 2 types)

So - if I wanted to put deflecting refinements on say Plate armour - for each refinement drop there would be a (1/2)x(1/3)x(1/6) chance of getting a refinement for the specific armour type I wanted - a 2.78% chance. And this is BEFORE we take intensity into account. However, if I wanted to put the refinements on woodland armour, the chance would be (1/2)x(1/3)x(1/2) or 8.33% for any single drop.

Woodland and Stone are easiest because of the smaller number of armour types craftable with carpentry. Tailored armour is in between and blacksmithed armour is hard and should be way more expensive.

Now - intensity. The numbers here are less clear and I really need a bigger sample size but it is looking as though the distribution of the intensities is approximately as follows:

Defence - 35% (could be 40% with the rest reduced)
Protection - 25%
Hardening - 20%
Fortification - 15%
Invulnerability - 5%

All I can say is thank God for the Amalgamators...;p

Tsadkiel

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everybody. I tried to read the posts about refinement, but as there is no complete article on the subject at the moment, I tried to pick informations here and there and I'm not sure to understand everything.The following are assumptions, and I would be happy if someone could confirm or contradict each one.
Well let's say that I have an elf with mace and shield reading glasses and a woodland armor 5 pieces.
When finished, (reinforced + imbued + enhanced), the resist will be 90-75-75-75-75 (90 in case I would like to use protection for chivalry when I don't have resisting spell skill) and DCI 35.
So I get a all 70 capped suit.
I want a real 75 suit.
1) Refinement time
I can refine an item at any time, before ou after reinforcement, imbuing and enhancing
2) Can I use the mace and shiels reading glasses
Yes, it's possible to refine an artifact.
Well, I will avoid that in case I have to use it elsewhere even if it's possible normally to remove a refinement with opposite refinement.
3) What intensity to use
Although I do need 5 points on 4 resist (as an elf I have already 75 energy) I am obliged nevertheless to plan to use 5 invulnerability varnished resin, one on each woodland piece.
4) What about my DCI ?
If I can't avoid to touch the energy cap I will loose 25 DCI and will be capped to 20 DCI.I have 30 DCI on my jewels, 15 on artifacts, -10 with DF. 15 DCI on the jewels are no more needed and can be replaced with others properties.
5) Has refinement any interest
I think that I took a bad exemple for the purpose as my elf is an ABC archer. I am not sure of the interest of the all 75 cap if I use it dancing around the monsters (I don't play PVP). I have seen that some people use their archer as a melee template fighting just near the target, I never tried that.
So it seems that refinement is the most effective on melee characters (mages ?).
Thanks for your help.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Is there a way to empty the refinement amalgamator? I have 3 of the locked up because I missed that something was the same as another and I really don't want to continue getting more of them. If there isn't a way to empty it when it is not complete, there should be, even if mean losing the items inside. :(

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I just did the same thing. Did you ever figure this out? Seems like there's not a way... Oh well, I guess that's just another 10k points for me...

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I later posted in Uhall and the general consensus was that there is no way and you are stuck until you find ingredients needed to finish it out or buy another while you wait. :(

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any good posts on how to even use the refinements? Do I click on them to combine them? Looking for the basics and coming up empty...

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree we need some kind of info in the crafting forum.

As it is now for someone like me that recently returned i have no idea what the difference is betwen diffrent hues and diffrent names.

What does Defelecting do? what does renforced actually do?

Whats the difference betwen invul, fortified, defense etc?

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool I'll check it out...

Where do refinements fit in the armor creation process? After imbuing?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah - the last step after everything else.