• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Price Check] Red Bank Check

• Thread starter Nightly Spirit
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
N

Nightly Spirit

A buddy of mine was going through a older account he has and ran across a red bank check that is in a double exceptional crate. He said it weighs 256 stones. I remember seeing one or two of these for sale awhile ago just dont know the price. Anyone out there able to tell me how these came to be, give a price qoute and let me know if its legal to own? Thanks :)

F

Fraggles

They are illegal to own and will be deleted on sight...not sure if its a bannible offence

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would just axe it somewhere neato... otherwise, like said above... illegal and will be deleted.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have one, inside a crate too. I dont think they are illegal. Where is the info about that??

On LS, there is a red check in front of a castle (someone chop the box in that place).. and has been there for a few years.

CrazyNinja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have one, inside a crate too. I dont think they are illegal. Where is the info about that??

On LS, there is a red check in front of a castle (someone chop the box in that place).. and has been there for a few years.
They have always been illegal. If you notice, all of the checks inside those crates (even the one chopped up on the ground) should be over 1 million gp. Checks were never meant to be created over 1 million gp but a few years back there was a way to create checks over this amount. There was a patch a while after this method was discovered that removed all of the checks created this way and banned anyone that had a large number of them (I believe even Manticore was banned for a short time?). However, not all checks were removed and these were turned into red checks to be deleted on sight. If I'm not mistaken I believe these are ones that were in moving crates from fallen vendors and were unaffected by the deletion.

If anyone wants any "Proof" then a page a GM and ask if it's legal or not and post a pic of what he/she says. I do not believe it is ban-able to own one but is more than likely ban-able to sell one as they are indeed, Illegal.

N

Nightly Spirit

The price on the check is 1 gold. Its not over a mil and is in a double exceptional crate.

G

Gabbie

I heard two guys on ATL got banned for having them!!!!!!! Play safe young warrior.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you notice, all of the checks inside those crates (even the one chopped up on the ground) should be over 1 million gp.
Both the red check in front of the castle on LS (23 12N, 46 37W) and mine (still stuck on a box) has a value of "1". (1 gp)

I dont really think the devs care about those items. Im sure its very very easy for them to search illegal items like water tiles, but they choose to not do anything about that. Once the owner of the red check stucked in a box chop the box.. then no one is owning that check so no one can be banned.

Ill keep checking this thread because im interested in know a price check since my box+redcheck is for sale :)

CrazyNinja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Both the red check in front of the castle on LS (23 12N, 46 37W) and mine (still stuck on a box) has a value of "1". (1 gp)

I dont really think the devs care about those items. Im sure its very very easy for them to search illegal items like water tiles, but they choose to not do anything about that. Once the owner of the red check stucked in a box chop the box.. then no one is owning that check so no one can be banned.

Ill keep checking this thread because im interested in know a price check since my box+redcheck is for sale :)
Then I am obviously wrong on that part. It was merely a guess though, they could also be from fallen vendors of accounts that were banned. Really hard to say exactly but I can 110% assure you that they are illegal and will be deleted on sight. Selling them is more than likely a ban-able offense. I had one for 40m, paged a GM to try n cash it in and it was thoroughly explained to me that those items are illegal and will be deleted on sight by a GM.

If you are curious if it's illegal and want proof, page a GM and find out for yourself :)

Also, on a side note considering these are illegal wouldn't they kind of fall under the category of an exploit/items that shouldn't be sold here? I mean, are water tiles and porto forges allowed to be sold here?

C

ChReuter

If anyone wants any "Proof" then a page a GM and ask if it's legal or not and post a pic of what he/she says. I do not believe it is ban-able to own one but is more than likely ban-able to sell one as they are indeed, Illegal.
Yeah, this is good advice... rolleyes: With the way GM's are this day and age, you could page one asking if the pile of 8gp you looted off a mongbat was legal and they'd likely say no, delete it, and smack you with a 48 hour suspension.

I'm interested in it :)
I so wish I hadn't lost my original account (Shockingly lost it not because of being banned!) I'd love to know how much I could have gotten for an ancient wyrm and old silver steed. (The steed in fact took some cleverness to hold onto.)

I used to collect oddball tamed animals many years ago when stables worked very different to how they work now. It began when a black horse was found and tamed long before nightmares, and I created my first tamer with the goal of owning one (Even though they were illegal). Sadly, I never did get to own one. I did get some pretty neat stuff though, most of which was deleted by stable masters. (OSI's tamer police force back then!)

Note: If anyone is curious, if I remember correctly the black horse was much darker than anything we've seen since. It must have been nov or dec of 97.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I paged about one of these I had found in an idoc and it was promptly deleted.
They were from the time when they did the 15 trillion gold sweep deletion. (July 2006)
The red checks were actually from people who did NOT get banned during this time but had large amounts of gold.
Here's a quote from the time period
As outlined in our Rules of Conduct, we do not allow players to enrich themselves through the abuse of bugs or exploitation of game mechanics. We reserve the right to confiscate any items created through such means.

Recently, we discovered a large number of checks for amounts over one million gold pieces. Checks were never intended to exist in denominations of more than a million. Unfortunately, these inflated checks have been used by exploiters to store extremely large amounts of gold. These checks have now been removed from the game.

This action has resulted in over 180 accounts being terminated and approximately 15 Trillion (15,000,000,000,000) gold pieces have been permanently removed from the game.

We realize that some of checks for amounts over one million gold were created by players who did not intend to exploit or harm the game. The vast majority of these checks have been automatically replaced with separate checks equal to the total amount of the replaced check, which can be found in a brown bag where the original check was located. If the check was inside of a container, you will find the brown bag in the same location as that container. Please note that in some cases the brown bag will be underneath the container, so you will need to move the container to access the bag. If the check was in your backpack or in your bank box, the brown bag will be located in your bank box.

In some cases, this may cause your bank box or your house to hold more than their item limit. Don’t worry; the new checks are still safe! However, before you will be allowed to place anything more into your bank box or lock down an item in your house, you will have to remove enough items from your bank box or unlock enough items from your house to bring the total number of items below the item limit.

In rare cases where we could not safely convert these checks, the checks were automatically placed in a red secure container with the label, “Please contact a GM about this item.” These containers will not decay, so you may page a GM at your leisure to convert the checks. Please note: If these containers reside in a house, the house owner must be present.

We are committed to maintaining the integrity of Ultima Online, and will continue our efforts to rid the game of cheaters along with their ill-gotten gains. If you haven't done so recently, please take a moment to read the Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct, and remember to abide by them at all times.
I am not sure what happens now after so many years have passed but the GM did delete the one I found.

N

Nightly Spirit

Yeah, this is good advice... rolleyes: With the way GM's are this day and age, you could page one asking if the pile of 8gp you looted off a mongbat was legal and they'd likely say no, delete it, and smack you with a 48 hour suspension.
Ugh.. this is so true. I wish GMs actually knew more about UO but I believe that if you call EA its not even on the list, its actually included in "other" games, so I am pretty sure that they dont care enough to inform them. :(
Guess Im still hoping for a real answer here that may never get answered.

N

Nightly Spirit

I am not sure what happens now after so many years have passed but the GM did delete the one I found.
How long ago was this idoc and page to gm? My fear is that Gms are not informed enough about UO and will delete anything thats uncommon like that glacial gargoyle pickaxe of demons.

N

Nightly Spirit

Unreal that they ban for something that they created themselves :(. Thank you flutter for your insite. I was unaware how these were created or where they came from so that is great knowledge. :)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's called Gm roulette. if you page this is what happens:

GM#1: "they are fine to own"

GM#2: "we are not allowed to discuss this with players"

GM#3: "they are illegal" *deletes said item*

GM#4: "UO? uhhh... people still play that game??"

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh.. this is so true. I wish GMs actually knew more about UO but I believe that if you call EA its not even on the list, its actually included in "other" games, so I am pretty sure that they dont care enough to inform them. :(
Guess Im still hoping for a real answer here that may never get answered.
Yep, sending a page to a gm to know the i/legality of any item is not a good option. Once the check (or any other item stuck on a box) is chopped, the GMs can not know how that item appeared there and/or who put it down or why.

My opinion is that a water tile is illegal for a obvious reason (fishing from inside a house), a movable forge is illegal too (smelting without a firebeetle in the middle of nowhere) because you can do actions that you are not suppose to do that way but a red check of 1gp value? naaa, thats not illegal at all, its just another deco item like the other hundreds of stucked-in-a-box items.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I paged about one of these I had found in an idoc and it was promptly deleted.
They were from the time when they did the 15 trillion gold sweep deletion. (July 2006)
The red checks were actually from people who did NOT get banned during this time but had large amounts of gold.
Here's a quote from the time period
As outlined in our Rules of Conduct, we do not allow players to enrich themselves through the abuse of bugs or exploitation of game mechanics. We reserve the right to confiscate any items created through such means.

Recently, we discovered a large number of checks for amounts over one million gold pieces. Checks were never intended to exist in denominations of more than a million. Unfortunately, these inflated checks have been used by exploiters to store extremely large amounts of gold. These checks have now been removed from the game.

This action has resulted in over 180 accounts being terminated and approximately 15 Trillion (15,000,000,000,000) gold pieces have been permanently removed from the game.

We realize that some of checks for amounts over one million gold were created by players who did not intend to exploit or harm the game. The vast majority of these checks have been automatically replaced with separate checks equal to the total amount of the replaced check, which can be found in a brown bag where the original check was located. If the check was inside of a container, you will find the brown bag in the same location as that container. Please note that in some cases the brown bag will be underneath the container, so you will need to move the container to access the bag. If the check was in your backpack or in your bank box, the brown bag will be located in your bank box.

In some cases, this may cause your bank box or your house to hold more than their item limit. Don’t worry; the new checks are still safe! However, before you will be allowed to place anything more into your bank box or lock down an item in your house, you will have to remove enough items from your bank box or unlock enough items from your house to bring the total number of items below the item limit.

In rare cases where we could not safely convert these checks, the checks were automatically placed in a red secure container with the label, “Please contact a GM about this item.” These containers will not decay, so you may page a GM at your leisure to convert the checks. Please note: If these containers reside in a house, the house owner must be present.

We are committed to maintaining the integrity of Ultima Online, and will continue our efforts to rid the game of cheaters along with their ill-gotten gains. If you haven't done so recently, please take a moment to read the Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct, and remember to abide by them at all times.
Sorry, but I cant find anything related to the red checks on your quote :(

My red check (1gp value, not over a million) is inside a crate, and that crate isnt labeled "Please contact a GM about this item".. its just a normal crate.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My red check (1gp value, not over a million) is inside a crate, and that crate isnt labeled "Please contact a GM about this item".. its just a normal crate.
sell it to me, sell it to me, sell it to me... er, move along, nothing to see here.

*whistles*

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Believe it or not we are talking about the same thing here.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Unreal that they ban for something that they created themselves :(. Thank you flutter for your insite. I was unaware how these were created or where they came from so that is great knowledge. :)
You're welcome.
I highly doubt anyone would get banned for it. I do think it would be deleted if anyone paged though.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Believe it or not we are talking about the same thing here.
I believe you believe :)

but, i still would like to know how those red checks were created. There is alot of items stuck-on-a-box like lanterns, busts, statues and others not so common like 2 or 3 lanters in the same box, lamp posts, stretched hide, studded leggings and others illegal items like water tiles. All those items were created using a bug/exploit some years ago and since the items inside the box are not movable and they dont have a weight property... then the weight for each item is 255 stones. The check i have has 255 stones too, so my guess is that it was created by using the same bug/exploit some years ago.

Lord Essex

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's called Gm roulette. if you page this is what happens:

GM#1: "they are fine to own"

GM#2: "we are not allowed to discuss this with players"

GM#3: "they are illegal" *deletes said item*

GM#4: "UO? uhhh... people still play that game??"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^^

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, sending a page to a gm to know the i/legality of any item is not a good option. Once the check (or any other item stuck on a box) is chopped, the GMs can not know how that item appeared there and/or who put it down or why.

My opinion is that a water tile is illegal for a obvious reason (fishing from inside a house), a movable forge is illegal too (smelting without a firebeetle in the middle of nowhere) because you can do actions that you are not suppose to do that way but a red check of 1gp value? naaa, thats not illegal at all, its just another deco item like the other hundreds of stucked-in-a-box items.
Movable forges illegality has been laughable for a long time. They weigh 255 stones... You know any miners looking to carry around 255 stones extra?

That being said, don't own one. The policy, at least as it was a few years ago, is to ban on sight for these.

Zolaf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can get pickaxes off demons? Which kind? lol...

How long ago was this idoc and page to gm? My fear is that Gms are not informed enough about UO and will delete anything thats uncommon like that glacial gargoyle pickaxe of demons.

R

Rusko

I don't know if any of you were at the Luna IDOC on Pacific, last night but a perfect example of what the OP is talking about is the Red "1gp" check stuck on the ground outside luna east gate. Someone axed the box in their house and it went under sign, stuck for all eternity...

xblade

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM's made the red checks for this reason when they go through your stuff and they find something that may or maynot be duped/illegal they put the red bank check in place of the item(s) (as a marker maybe?). that is what they use to do as far as i know they prolly dont this any more. i also believe there was at one point in time where players could make them somehow.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If its not a hiuge exploite I.E. like a red check for 1gp then its not really anymore an "advantage" its just a nice deco item.

If its a red check for 500 million then yeah delete it. But a red check for 1 gp should be ok? no?

Thunderz