• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Recommend a good THunter template?

V

Valerin

What skills should a THunter template have; I don't need much fighting skill because I'll be bringing another person with me 99% of the time. So what should I have? Cart, lockpicking, hiding(?), mining?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Cart,lockpick,mining for sure you could bring taming skills along with a gd ! you could run with peace music provo or disco combo to help your friend
I run taming skills +lp on my template then music peace or provo along with gd I decode maps with cart then i stone cart and load whatever skill it was i took off you can also do this with mining if you are having probs finding the chest just mark a rune where you found it

I also have magery on this template

G

GreekHero

What skills should a THunter template have; I don't need much fighting skill because I'll be bringing another person with me 99% of the time. So what should I have? Cart, lockpicking, hiding(?), mining?
Hi Valerin,

After changes I am running:

120 Provo
115 Music
115 Magery (so vortexes won't be failing most of the time)
100 Ev Intelligence
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Mining (before publish this was fishing). Mining today is a must and actually I got used to it fast. It is insanely safe the distance you're digging from, no more insta guardian spawn death.

Equipped with Tome of Lost Knowledge. Wears mana regeneration suit, max DCI and has some 1/2, 1/3 jewelry with skills to cover up for cramped template. This it pretty much. This style I've been playing since 2002 and can solo up to lvl 5 chests.

Advantages: Good all around cheap template, can be good dungeon crawler too (lockpicking chests). Fun also in various monster spots (Despise Ogre Lords, Shadow Wyrms in Destard).

Disadvantages: Cannot solo lvl 6 as a tamer would do. Template takes some time to master (requires an exit plan and a little bit of running around). But I like soloing everything, cannot imagine bringing friends to every chest I do:)

I would not personally go with a tamer t-hunter for 2 reasons: 1) I think it is a waste to train a tamer for t-hunting also, could use taming in much more profitable templates. 2) A tamer cannot be a good recalling all over the place character to do dungeon lockpicking.

Everything is up to you though! Just remember t-hunting is fun and will not make you rich:)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a bard/thunter and have another character with a GD - Hard to manage two characters but it's also very fun.

120 Provo
120 Music
110 Discord
110 Music
110 Eval
100 Med
100 Lockpicking
100 Carto

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll repost from UHall:

My template is a modified Basara template, so I make no claim to it but here goes...

100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography
100 Anatomy
90 Healing
90 Swords +25
90 Bushido +25
80 Tactics +20
70 Chivalry

It's a lot of fun and you don't see too many melee treasure hunters. There's quite a bit of strategy involved and you need to use your head. I also carry around a jewel set with +26 magery and a spell book with +11 magery so I can mark with scrolls and cast telekinesis with scrolls as well. Having someone cast invis on you (since you'll have a partner) or using Sacred Journey to a safe location is key, if you solo like me. You should practice on lower level maps using Sacred Journey. For me (with no casting speed increase) I Scared Journey (no, that's not misspelled, cause it IS scary!) out just before the 13th dig sound. It's better to be too soon and have to start over than dead. :eek:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With imbuing and ability to make very nice skill items

I use a Sorcedrs suit to get nice resist and LRC.

WIth soul stones not having a delay anymore you can decode them at home and stone off carto

Mining is still very nice to have in locating the treasure, especially with the randomization.

Lockpicking is required

After that it all optional

I use 105 misic and provo with 15 on itmes to have 120 music and provo

Magerry

So when digging looks like this

Mining 95 (BS Gloves +5) = 100
Muscic 105 (+15) = 120
Provo 105 (+15) = 120
Magery 90 (+15 Jewelry +15 Tomb) = 120
LP = 100
Myst = 100 this is what I flip around with the Carto U can grab the +15 Book if needed
Focus = 115

I always take a tamer freind along

I was seriously considering dropping the Myst and focus and grabbing Hidng and Stealth. If oyu did this you could also drop mager and grab Chivilary.
Only problem is you suffer the opening trap every time.

I cast invis while digging and target myself once the whole chest appears. I analyze the guardians and devise a plan. Most time the Digger dies, stil working out the bugs. I run away sneak in and either use the tamer to whittle them down or provoke them onto eachother.

I am having fun diggin up all my already stored maps not really looking forward to actually trying to locate a new location :sad3:

O

Old Man of UO

I use a Mystic T-Hunter without mining. After doing about a dozen maps, I realized that I don't need mining at all and can usually find the spot in just a few minutes. I'm solo'ing level 6 maps without much trouble and don't have to worry about stoning off skills.

120 Focus
115 Mystic (can't afford the 120 scroll)
115 Magery
110 Eval Int
100 Lockpick
100 Cartography
60 Spellweave or Meditation (trying both to see which I like better)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old man I have to ask?

Are you doing old maps that were already in your possesion?

And what basic technique? do you just run off and drag them out one at a time to kill off the guardians?

B

Ben Sherman

Running with

120 Myst
120 Imbue
110 Mage
100 Med
100 Lockpick
100 Cart
100 Mining

Obviously some items for +skills used, but found that while I can solo any map with this set up, any that come with 2+ AW's take a painfully long time, so have taken to duoing them with a sampire friend.

Easiest way is to draw them out as singles if alone and let the colossus eat them, lend some support with mindblast or the few myst damage spells. When duoing, I'll still put down the colossus to help with damage, but mostly use my mana otherwise for support / spot heals.

S

Saris

i run 120 mage, focus, mystic, spell-weaver, with mining and lock-picking, rest in med.

I stone off cart for mining.

running with 40dci and a mage weapon.

gift self, stone from and cast atunement, run a few tiles after the spawn pops, and RC all the way.

have not died yet and have done many of L6 maps/

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pre-T-Map Changes:

120 Magery (Real)
100 (either Carto or LP)
120 Taming (105 Real, +5 Talisman, +10 Travesty)
120 Lore (105 Real, +5 Talisman, +10 Travesty)
120 Vet (90 Real, +30 from ring/brace)
120 Med (80 Real, +30 from ring/brace, +10 from Spellwoven Britches)
120 Spellweaving (Real)

Post-T-Map Changes:

120 Magery (Real)
50 Med (0 real, +30 from ring/brace, +10 from Spellwoven Britches, +10 from Scrappers)
100 Mining
100 Lock Picking
100 Carto

I haven't done very many with the new system but I was tired of swapping skills. I'll let you know how it works.

O

Old Man of UO

120 Magery (Real)
50 Med (0 real, +30 from ring/brace, +10 from Spellwoven Britches, +10 from Scrappers)
100 Mining
100 Lock Picking
100 Carto

I haven't done very many with the new system but I was tired of swapping skills. I'll let you know how it works.
DANG! That's 830 skill points!

S

slaveone

This is my level 1-6 (mainly 6) solo t-hunter template:

120 Archery
120 Music
120 Peacemaking
100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography/ 100 Mining/ 100 Tactics (whichever i choose)
110 Resist Spells
70 Chivalry
12 Magery

I do use a Trav mask for +10 music & +10 peace
I also have +12 peace on my bracelet
I also use a Tome of lost knowledge for +15 magery to get to 27 magery to cast Tele

I may eventually drop the magery points cause the level 6 blast only does about half my health with all 70s and add 10 of the 12 points to Chiv or Resist and the other 2 points to peacemaking. I know i could carry a +15 jewel with magery on it but i didn't like having to swap jewelry but that is another viable option to reclaim my 12 points in magery and still cast Tele instead of just taking the blast.

Very fun template and everyone i dig chests with thinks it's awesome as i can solo any level easily and i'm not using a tamer or a second account which "most" t-hunters do which IMHO is pretty lame but to each their own! Just not down with the all kill, invis to me thats not tHUNTING thats tHIDING....

O

Old Man of UO

I tell you what, once you start using Healing Stones and Rising Colossus on a T-Hunter, you're going to be hooked on Mysticism!

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tell you what, once you start using Healing Stones and Rising Colossus on a T-Hunter, you're going to be hooked on Mysticism!
Made one, and you are right :)
Hooked.

Easiest thing ever. mining, carto, LP at 100, focus, mystic 120, magery 115, 80 med. recall to spot close by, pick em off one by one (or just keep throwing new RC's at them) . I now actually enjoy t-maps. Have done nothing but t-maps for 2 weeks. Great template!

do use a crystalline ring and orny, other than that some cheap gear, as I don't get hit anyways...

O

Old Man of UO

... do use a crystalline ring and orny, other than that some cheap gear, as I don't get hit anyways...
I use a cheap imbued mana regen suit with orny (not really needed) giving me 173 mana and 12 to 15 MR - I need lots of mana since I dropped med for spellweaving. I only use spellweaving now for the instant resurrection on the islands where there are no healers. But have only died once since the new map changes and may drop that for meditation.

S

SimonSnowBlower

I'm sorry but i don't believe most of you when you say you solo level 6 maps bye yourself with just mystic or archery as your attacking skill. I've done a total 45 level 6 maps in the last 3 days and 75% of the time the initial spawn is 6 ancient wyrms and 2 balrons. I don't care how good you think you are when they spawn they come after you all at once. If you cast invisibility when the box comes up 99% of the time the monsters cast revel right off in the beginning.

It almost imposable to find the new locations without gm mining.

gm Margery
gm med
gm lock
gm cart
gm mining
gm hiding
gm stealth

I got friends that take care of the rest.

V

Valerin

I guess since I started this thread I should post what I went with:

100 Cart
100 LP
100 Mining
115 Myst
110 Mage
80 Med
115 Focus

Enough to dig up the chest, and heal the Greater Dragon that comes along with Disco Tamer, as well as throw out a Rising Colossus to deal out more damage.

Can take down a lvl 6 map in about 5min. I typically average 2 AW's per map, sometimes 3.

O

Old Man of UO

I'm sorry but i don't believe most of you when you say you solo level 6 maps bye yourself with just mystic or archery as your attacking skill. I've done a total 45 level 6 maps in the last 3 days and 75% of the time the initial spawn is 6 ancient wyrms and 2 balrons. I don't care how good you think you are when they spawn they come after you all at once. If you cast invisibility when the box comes up 99% of the time the monsters cast revel right off in the beginning.

gm Margery
gm med
gm lock
gm cart
gm mining
gm hiding
gm stealth

HAHAHAHA! Seriously? I've done about 50 level 6's solo. Great dragons are worse than the ancient wyrms, but eventually they stop dispelling when they run out of mana. Most are now about 20 minutes start to finish, some as long as 35 minutes when the 6 ancient wyrms/greater dragons spawn. Your problem is you just don't have enough offense with that template.

GM mining? Pfft... it's a waste of skill in my opinion, because the spots just aren't that hard to find. But if you need help with your template or maps, just ask.

P.S. Cast invis on yourself just before the chest appears all the way to the top, not when the monsters spawn. It's easy when you figure out the timing.

S

SimonSnowBlower

HAHAHAHA! Seriously? I've done about 50 level 6's solo. Great dragons are worse than the ancient wyrms, but eventually they stop dispelling when they run out of mana. Most are now about 20 minutes start to finish, some as long as 35 minutes when the 6 ancient wyrms/greater dragons spawn. Your problem is you just don't have enough offense with that template.

GM mining? Pfft... it's a waste of skill in my opinion, because the spots just aren't that hard to find. But if you need help with your template or maps, just ask.

P.S. Cast invis on yourself just before the chest appears all the way to the top, not when the monsters spawn. It's easy when you figure out the timing.
I do Invis when the chest pops up the timing not the problem but the Guardians still revel.

Greater dragons only spawn when looting the chest. There not the Guardian spawn when the chest pops up so you only have to deal with one at a time not 6 like the ancient wyrms when the chest pops up.

The new maps are not completely accurate to there pin location shown on them, so mining a must. Older ones with mark location like shown on stratics sure you can get away with out it but it a hell of a lot easier with mining.

And where it take you 20 to 35 minutes to do a map it only take me 5 minutes tops. your wasting time in my opinion. Get some friends to help you what the point of bragging when it take you forever.

O

Old Man of UO

I do Invis when the chest pops up the timing not the problem but the Guardians still revel.

Greater dragons only spawn when looting the chest. There not the Guardian spawn when the chest pops up so you only have to deal with one at a time not 6 like the ancient wyrms when the chest pops up.

The new maps are not completely accurate to there pin location shown on them, so mining a must. Older ones with mark location like shown on stratics sure you can get away with out it but it a hell of a lot easier with mining.

And where it take you 20 to 35 minutes to do a map it only take me 5 minutes tops. your wasting time in my opinion. Get some friends to help you what the point of bragging when it take you forever.
I do have friends help when they are online. Of course, with my friends dying all the time it's actually faster for me to do them solo.

I could do a 5 minute hit and run, just grab the top loot, but is that fun? I had one chest that a Greater Dragon Guardian did pop on the initial spawn. Surprised the heck out of me.

Your point was "i don't believe most of you when you say you solo level 6 maps bye yourself with just mystic or archery as your attacking skill." Just saying it isn't that hard solo, but certainly does take more time than with friends. I wasn't bragging, just found it funny that you thought we were lying when we said we did the maps solo. Bragging wasn't the point, but I'm wondering what your point was now when you said you didn't believe us.

I have been lucky because I haven't found a single map that wasn't accurate. SOME of the pins are rotated and look different, and the chest is located in a slightly different spot, but the map is accurate.

By the way, after you invis, run. In fact, lead one or two away while you are running to make it easier to finish them off.

Anyway, good luck to you, but yes, we archers and mystic T-Hunters can find the maps just fine without mining and can solo them quite well whether you believe us or not. Good luck to you!

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is what I use:

110 Focus
110 Mysticism
100 Magery
100 Mining
100 Lockpicking
100 Hiding
80 Stealth

Obviously got 100 Carto which is stoned off once my maps are decoded. Use to have 100 Meditation, but with a nice mana regen suit don't always need it.

Obviously the Hiding and Stealth are more orientated towards to the fact I'm on Siege. Don't really need them but I do find stealth useful to get in good positions to cast my Rising Colussus.

Only have trouble with Level 6 Felucca, the Wyrms and Greater Dragons are a pain to finish off, but can easily solo the other Level 6s with Mysticism. Probably leave most of my Felucca Level 6s to do with friends. Or find a good mage weapon bow to use Enchant on for the extra damage.

Its not streamlined by any means but it does it job for me. Would like to add some more DPS in the matter. Any suggestions?

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

gm Margery
gm med
gm lock
gm cart
gm mining
gm hiding
gm stealth

Hmm... no problems soloing... it is your tactics and template that sort of suck. I do them solo in about 10-15 minutes, depending on the spawn type. Tokuno, Malas, Ilshenar ones are somewhat easier than the Fel and Tram ones. I do have GM mining on my template. I use one rune.

Let me asume you were not just trying to be an ass... Here is how to do it solo very efficiently using my template: Template: 120 focus, mystic, 115 magery, 100 LP, Carto, Mining, 80 med. I sometimes stone off carto for eval, but lately i haven't.. just don't need to.

Find the spot. Dig until a dirt patch appears and move away. Go 1 1/2 screen away from your marked spot and mark a rune... go back to the spot, dig until you can see the whole chest. You need to have recall pre-cast. RIght when the whole chest appears and an instant before the spawn pops, you target your marked rune. THen you walk back and throw a RC near (not on) the spawn. One or two mobs will break free and fight the RC. you invis yourself so not to get targeted. You keep throwing RC's at them until they are dead. Rinse and repeat. When I am fighting AW's I try to lure them farther away from the chest to isolate and once the AW targets the RC, i hit it with other damage Mysticism spells. I do not use Magery spells because I do not have eval and they don't hurt enough. 6 monsters die fast. just make sure to invis after casting an RC to break the targeting.

-invissing as a way to avoid the initial spawn that pops up when you dig up the chest is not smart, it gets you killed fast as you have noticed. , the recall trick works 99.9%. 0.01 deaths due to not paying attention... -

I don't need friends for everything in the game, do I ? I am glad to hear you do have friends though, despite your nasty ways of suggesting that people that can do something solo in the game somehow do not have friends.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ALOT of very different template work find one you like and the tactics

that go with it and enjoy.

There is NO need to attack anyones ideas or how they do somthing here.

Freinds are part of the game, it kinda saddens mee when people actually look for the single player option. I have the ability to solo just about ANYTHING but that is often boaring. :sad3:

I can solo 6's with my bard or my tamer but it is much more enjoyable to have a freind to two along.:gun:

Again find a template and tactic you like, try them but DONT attack somone because they arn't using your ideas. :gee:

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: ALOT of very different template work find one you like and the tactics

that go with it and enjoy.

There is NO need to attack anyones ideas or how they do somthing here.

Freinds are part of the game, it kinda saddens mee when people actually look for the single player option. I have the ability to solo just about ANYTHING but that is often boaring. :sad3:

I can solo 6's with my bard or my tamer but it is much more enjoyable to have a freind to two along.:gun:

Again find a template and tactic you like, try them but DONT attack somone because they arn't using your ideas. :gee:
The only attack came from someone who "didn't believe" people that could solo a L6, suggesting in one breath that those people lacked friends. The folks here that share effective templates did not attack anyone for wanting to do those with friends. In fact, most of us enjoy the social aspect of thus game just as well. Back in your cage....

Drakhan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

Making a mysticism treasure hunter myself. It seems "Rising Colossus" is THE spell to use or are there any other mmust use Myst spells when hunting?

Thanks in advance.

/Drakhan

O

Old Man of UO

Rising Colossus
Healing Stone
Cleansing Winds

RC is a great spell, but the Healing Stone is also hard to beat. You can use the stone to cure poison or heal yourself while running or having another spell pre-cast. I also use Cleansing Winds to remove curses. I'm sure I could get greater benefit from other Mysticism spells, but those are the three I use most.

M

Monty Burns

I have a bit of a question here, I don't understand why a lot of people are using focus in these templates.

I am just returning to game and looking for an updated template for my T-Hunter and they all make sense to me except for the Focus bit.

Drakhan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Focus on my template since its like eval for magery when you have Mysticism.

Eg. Rising Colossus' strenght and duration is based on Focus level (or imbuing but it's a bit more difficult to train I guess)

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use my sampire (solo anything) and just swap anat for cartog then after the maps are ready swap it our for lock picking.

Makes it really easy and fast with the right wepons

Thunderz

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use my sampire (solo anything) and just swap anat for cartog then after the maps are ready swap it our for lock picking.

Makes it really easy and fast with the right wepons

Thunderz
good idea. too bad those skills are on my second account. :-(((