• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Recalling into a Castle Courtyard

Would you like it if you could recall into castle courtyards again?

• Yes

Votes: 82 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 22 21.2%

• Total voters

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was upset when they took this out of the game, i didn't own a castle at the time but was looking forward to this aspect and by the time i got a castle it was taken away, hopefully they will put it back into the game, so....

do you think they should allow recalling into a castle courtyard again?

K

Kiminality

Before I answer the poll...
Why did they remove it, in the first place?

Also, was it the same chance that prevented me shadowjumping or teleporting to a location near a house?

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no idea why they removed it honestly, people that own castles bust their butts to get one in the first place and deserve this advantage to not worry about getting attacked by people/monsters when recalling in, hopefully the dev team reads this and makes a change

T

Tiamat

They removed it in the first place because non-house owners with recall spots into castle courtyards that they didn't own could keep on entering houses they didn't own. This was before houses were 100% secure by design (IE, you could LEGALLY loot items from houses), so they could often just loot everything you owned and prevent usage of the house.

Now houses are 100% secure (besides exploits), and yet you still can't recall into castle courtyards due to an outdated reason that is no longer valid, and yet they won't reinstate it. ...Bah.

L

Lord Kynd

i was upset when they took this out of the game, i didn't own a castle at the time but was looking forward to this aspect and by the time i got a castle it was taken away, hopefully they will put it back into the game, so....

i think they should now that the bug's that made them take it away are fixed.

if not, just add a simple check to make sure at the least ( by security settings) guildies/friends/co-owners/owners can recall there.

S

Sarphus

Unless it's really easy to allow recalling into courtyards, I think it would be a tremendous waste of dev time to do work to allow this feature.

A small subset of UO players have castles. I would rather see dev time spent on things that benefit most players.

H

Harb

It was removed due to a break-in cheat I suspect. We were subjected to it, encouraged the senior producer observe the act, which he did, and it was changed by the next publish. I voted "no," not so much for this reason (unless the problem wasn't actually fixed, in which case "no" becomes "no way"), but because I still cling to a fading hope that someday we may actually be able to customize the place.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I returned I was ... well ... surprised to find that you could no longer do this.

At first I thought it might have had something to do with my ... apparently .... mistaken belief you could convert a Castle to a Customized 32x32x2 house.

In that context it of course would make sense to block the gate/recall into the courtyard as there would be a 32x32 foundation plot there.

Now that I am straight on not being able to convert the Castle into a 32x32x2 customized house, it is NOT clear at all why did this.

Before I left, people could use Moonstones to gain access to the Courtyard. I dont recall anyone (my self included) that even gave this a 2nd thought. You kept the doors locked and initially killed anyone you saw in the Courtyard, later just ban them.

Of course then you didnt have individual door security, so maybe it was something to do with people being lazy and assuming things they shouldnt have.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They removed it in the first place because non-house owners with recall spots into castle courtyards that they didn't own could keep on entering houses they didn't own. This was before houses were 100% secure by design (IE, you could LEGALLY loot items from houses), so they could often just loot everything you owned and prevent usage of the house.

Now houses are 100% secure (besides exploits), and yet you still can't recall into castle courtyards due to an outdated reason that is no longer valid, and yet they won't reinstate it. ...Bah.
i think they removed it after that... i started playing in 2001 and by that time lockdowns existed and everything, the system with locking your door and hoping no one could get your key and loot your house dry was long over, but when i played you could still recall into the castle courtyards for a few more years, they must have took it out around the time aos came in

W

wrekognize

I would like it if I could recall in the courtyard. I would like it more if I could lock stuff down there.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is frivolous when compared to the fact that keep owners have no use or access to huge sections of their main floor. just wasted space that restricts deco, and room in general.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
keep owners have no use or access to huge sections of their main floor. just wasted space that restricts deco, and room in general.
Did they remove the ability to recall to the hidden open rectangles in a Keep?

Me, I think Keeps are a waste, always did, I had one just to keep it clear to me what a waste they were. If anything should be converted to a Customized house, the Keep is the leading candidate.

Just my opinion, but just so much of the Keep structure is ... wasted space.

H

Harb

Did they remove the ability to recall to the hidden open rectangles in a Keep?

Nope, and I've actually seen players recall into one side of the wife's keep, in that walled open space you refer to (once this week, so I'm sure thats still possible)!

L

love2winalot

Well if Polar Bears can spawn in my courtyard, and they do all the time, then i should be able to recall into it as well.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why don't they just make it so that if someone recalls into the courtyard that isn't on the access or friends list, that they get booted to the house sign like anyone else who can't get in - problem solved

and it figures that because of some guy named HERB that I can't recall into my castle's courtyard now - thanks alot HERB

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why don't they just make it so that if someone recalls into the courtyard that isn't on the access or friends list, that they get booted to the house sign like anyone else who can't get in - problem solved...
My issue with that suggestions is then they are treating the 32x32 as a foundation. This should apply to People and MoB as well.

BUT

If they are going to treat it as a 32x32 foundation, then they should allow it to be a customizable 32x32x2 with roof structure.

H

Harb

why don't they just make it so that if someone recalls into the courtyard that isn't on the access or friends list, that they get booted to the house sign like anyone else who can't get in - problem solved

and it figures that because of some guy named HERB that I can't recall into my castle's courtyard now - thanks alot HERB
Not because of me friend, because of unscrupulous behavior by a few players- certianly nothing new to the game. It was fortunate for everybody it was caught when it was, we were reamed by the bug, and had it continued elsewhere, there would have been no castle owners left with anything. And to the post speculating this occurred around the AoS timeframe, that sounds about right, the new housing system was already in. I'm not going to talk any specifics about what/ how it occurred, but the recall business was a quick immediate fix. As in my earlier post, I'm just not sure if the real problem was ever addressed, as someone said there are so few castles and so many issues affecting all. I also know at one time there was a raging debate on custominzing castles, and that may be the reason the recall feature didn't come back. Castles remain querky, e.g. try and find a place to put a mouse hole :) But to my original point, if we're never going to able to customize them (never say never) and the bugs are fixed, I'd like to recall into the courtyard as well.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This feature back or a pair of teleporters which allows to go in without having to open three doors.
*Salute*
Olahorand

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to be able to recall into my court yard, but also have the options that are on the doors to who can recall into my court yard. So if someone is not friended to my castle. and I have it set to friends, then that person who recalls in will recall in under the sign.

R

Radun

oh boo hoo, the castle owners have to open three doors to get into their castles......

R

rajadeah

i think they removed it after that... i started playing in 2001 and by that time lockdowns existed and everything, the system with locking your door and hoping no one could get your key and loot your house dry was long over, but when i played you could still recall into the castle courtyards for a few more years, they must have took it out around the time aos came in

It was around that time because i had quit for about a year and a half after AOS lunched and when I came back I couldnt get to a castle I had on ice island tram and for the first few hours I just guessed it had decayed being none of my chars were loged off there and all there runes didnt work (they had been marked in the court yard). But then I made my way to ice island and ran around and found the place still there :)

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest, I didn't know you couldn't. (guess it has been a long time since I owned a castle). I think they need to allow recalling inside of any type of house.

I think it would be great if they would make a house add-on tile (like the teleporters) that you buy from an NPC for a few million gold, and you can mark runes on it and recall to that tile.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Unless it's really easy to allow recalling into courtyards, I think it would be a tremendous waste of dev time to do work to allow this feature.

A small subset of UO players have castles. I would rather see dev time spent on things that benefit most players.
BEing able to recall in was in place till AOS. When AOS launched, or shortly before/after, it was removed.

It hurt a lot of vendor homes as well as others who recalled in.

Part of the problem is, now especially, is people can lock the doors to prevent you from exitinig it. It is also considered a public area. Even if your castle is "Private" You can gate people into the court yard. They can't get onto the steps and if in fel can be trapped and murdered.

How's that for fun.

On that note, I think they should be able to code it to where you can recall in, but you can still leave house option.

Also other unmentionables would take dragons and put them in the courtyard for you as a surprise....How would you like to recall into an area with two greater dragons?

T

Teeshy

Oh, I would love, love LOVE if they would do this!

I am about to sell my castle, and move into an 18x18 because I die (literally) on my doorstep at least half the time. The lag when a castle loads up is incredible, and my poor crafters, and incomplete warriors get stuck on the doorstep, frozen in place for approx 10-15 seconds while my castle loads enough to let me in the door.

So many skeletons on the doorstep - it's really not an appealing doormat ;)

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i understand teh not recall in, althou it would be nice, but what i dont understand is that the grassy area isnt owned by u :(

& no i dont own a castle, but would liek to some day

T

The Home Guild

I think they should make it accessable to the"home owner & co owner" of the castle.Anyone else is tough luck.

F

Fink

That would be handy. Also being able to lock things down in the courtyard would be nice, but I see the conflict of interests there.

I had stuff "locked down" in my keep's empty rooms, containers such as barrels and chests etc filled with enough logs so they didn't decay, just for decoration's sake. About a week later they brought in decay for heavy stacks and they were gone, hehe.

I'd like to be able to mark runes to castle internal locations, actually. eg: the bottom of the southwest corner. It's a pretty long hike from the front steps, especially in a decorated place. Would be nice for vendors, too, as I have mine ranged around the place rather than all crammed onto the front few tiles.

S

Starla

Hehe I voted for yes because there's always some form of camps spawning and they always line up in front of my door steps blocking my recall spots home ^^

L

Luna Lagger

Yes! I am lazy and don't like opening 1 too many doors :p

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted yes.

I always thought being able to recall to your house in safety was really cool.

Some people in this thread say, "Why should a change be made, using developers time, on something that will effect so few?"

Very few may own castles, but many others may have ambitions to own a castle one day.

H

Harb

no i dont own a castle, but would liek to some day
This is the primary reason castles and keeps should get some Dev love, desiring one has lost much of it's luster due to the creativity 18x18s allow/ encourage. When we reduced our accounts to two remaining, it was actually a struggle deciding which houses to keep, the 18x18s or the castle and keep. We opted for the latter only because of storage, having no idea of the then pending Clean up Britannia II.

If dev seriously relooks these structures, every one that goes in anew, and in all existing cases where possible (some castles/ keeps have blocking tiles within them), castles/ keeps should go onto the same "base" as all other customizable houses. From there, ideally you should be able to customize them. At one point, there was an argument against this based on their mass obscurring other houses once they grew to three stories, but frankly with the huge numbers of adjacent 18x18s these days, that argument has been rendered invalid.

Specifically with regard to recalling within one, I'd advocate that you should be able to recall onto any grass tile within any house. If not all grass tiles, then as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, some type of tile enabling recall.

To your original point, as our game ages, it becomes ever more critical to provide goals and aspirations to the player base. Whether it's owning that cool 32x32, taming a greater dragon with max stats/ skills, nabbing a crimson, acquiring a legitimate valorite hammer, or whatever may be important to each individual at any given time- incentives are important. Honestly, castles/ keeps aren't the incentive they once were, when everyone would have liked to someday have one!

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted Yes, but if given the choice I'd much rather be able to do lockdowns inside my Castles' courtyards.

K

Kith Kanan

In Tram np , in Fel no way , cant see why it should be safer to recall to your home because you own a castle.....

ps i hate castles and think they are a waste of space ..........

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Tram np , in Fel no way , cant see why it should be safer to recall to your home because you own a castle.....
I can't see why it wouldn't be safer to recall to your home because you own a castle. :D

It's a castle. People like castles. People should have ambitions for owning castles. If one of the benefits is that a castle makes you safer. Why not?

H

Hunters Moon

Poll Options
Would you like it if you could recall into castle courtyards again?

Yes ( )
No ( )
It does not affect me and I really don't care (x)

H

Hunters Moon

I can't see why it wouldn't be safer to recall to your home because you own a castle. :D

It's a castle. People like castles. People should have ambitions for owning castles. If one of the benefits is that a castle makes you safer. Why not?
Then I want to be able to recall right into my keep. Its a Keep..a strong fortification and basicly like a castle...just smaller.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then I want to be able to recall right into my keep. Its a Keep..a strong fortification and basicly like a castle...just smaller.
Looks like you're in need of a castle. They're basically like keeps... just bigger and with a courtyard.

:grouphug:

L

Lord Kynd

alot smaller, and without the courtyard to be able to recall/sacred into.

keeps are fine the way they are. new designs would be nice tho.. changable thru house sign.

F

Fink

You can, in a sense.

Recall into the space under the east or west sides first, allows you to scout for reds/spawn/etc before recalling to your steps.