• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Rares Council - Report

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rares Council – Our First 2 weeks of Work​
(or Actually 3 by the time this gets posted)​

During our first 2 weeks as high councillors we tried to be active on a wide range of fields, from writing our constitution to thinking up ways to knit a tighter community to trying to face the new wave of dupes. In this report – we will be writing a bi-weekly report from now on – we will try to provide you with an overview of our first concrete baby steps.

As a general remark: feel free to comment on anything mentioned in the reports, gives us hints and ideas … We are here to serve you!

1. The Constitution

One of the very first things we did was set up our little Sandbox Wiki page to work on... The constitution. This document will contain all rules concerning our Duties as high councillors and your rights as members, voting procedures, ... A first draft was written just a few days after we were elected but well, some of us *coughs* Tomas *coughs* are pretty obsessed by this document and want it to be absolutely perfect before it's shown to the public. So you'll have to wait a teenie bit longer!

2. IRC Community Chat

In order to make it easier for all of us to chat and get to know each other, we thought it might be fun to set us up with an IRC chatroom. Everybody’s welcome, except well… the outcasts ;) Hopefully some “real time” communication proves to be an interesting experience!

Instructions of how you and your friends can reach the channel are to be found bellow.

Step 1: Get a client
You need a program to be able to connect to the IRC network. I suggest mIRC, you can download this here

Step 2: Set up the connection

Under Tools – Options – Servers, add the stratics IRC server. Click Add.

Fill out: Description: IRC Stratics (for example, anything will do) /Server: irc.stratics.com

Click Add.

Double click the newly created IRC Stratics server. Then click connect.

You’ll now be connected to the stratics IRC server. Wait till a whole lot of text loads…. Then proceed.

Step 3: Register your nickname

To make sure nobody steals your nickname, you better register it right away.

To register, type the following line in the main body: /ns register *password*

Now every time you log on, you have to identify yourself with your password. If you don’t, you won’t be allowed to use that nickname and you’ll switch to your alternative nickname, which you can set somewhere in the options.

To identify, type: /ns identify *password*

In mIRC you have the option to have the client perform these actions (and others) on start-up.

To configure this, check out Options – Connect – Options – perform. In the field there, just type any command, add it to the list and make sure to toggle “perform upon connection”.

Step 4: Joining the Rares Council Chatroom

In order to connect to the rares council channel, type: /join #uo-rares-council

Et voila!

3. The dupe story

With a new dupe active, we are trying to update the dupe list as soon as possible! We are still discussing how much ‘proof’ is needed exactly before we can add items to the list, but should at least be able to present a list of items which are under suspicion very, very soon.

Besides that, we have been focusing on actually gathering proof against some of the “prime” rares collectors who took a turn for the worst and boy,… do we have some juicy bones to chew on once we find a way to share this information with all of you without acting against the Stratics RoC! Or perhaps some of you have found the info already? *winks*

4. Catalogs, catalogs and catalogs

We are working out several ideas to provide you all with as much information about rares as we can. Origin, Price estimates, current locations, historical info,… We would like to gather all the facts in one place, for everyone to see.

You could already witness the start of the “Unique Items Tracking Guide”-thread and we hope to get the Museum Thread back up as soon as possible as well. Each of us takes responsibility for the coverage of their own region. We’ll be posting details about how you can get your museum up in the thread as soon as possible!

P.S. One of our high councillors announced he will probably be quitting UO. We will have a look at how to fill the gap - if we decide to do so at all. More on that topic in the next report no doubt!

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Very Good information to know. I hope everyone will start making comments even if it is just to say good job! And I might say this report was very clear and precise. I am pleased with the direction this is all going, particularly a constitution that is equally clear and pithy! :thumbsup:

As far as IRC goes, I have no problems with it. Although, I am surprised it was suggested since its sessions can't be accurately recorded without being doctored. Anyone can be anyone commenting or making stuff up. Not to mention its not exactly the easiest to use for beginners.

Now myspace can be used to create profiles that are either public or private. A persons identity can remain anonymous or visible. Pictures, Videos, and Information Links can be posted to help all rare collectors. Its very easy to use, and currently there are several groups that already feature Ultima On-line as their main topic of discussion. However we can still create our own. This is the current largest group of nearly 900 members

http://groups.myspace.com/uoaa

Last with a council member quitting, I think its best to recommend that nominations for two new members should ensue. The even number doesn't quite make sense to me, but perhaps you can explain it. I just think an odd number of at least five level headed individuals would make more sense.

Other than that, your progress is exceeding my expectations, and I am excited to see the results of all your appreciated hard work. Best of Luck! :danceb:

Moslar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was a very informative report. We appreciate you guys getting together and discussing things surrounding the rares community.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good job, council

and I agree with Nails about odd number... saves headaches and hurt feelings, imo

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

indeed good work so far.
Sad that one member already have decided to quit.

Who?

And how about the auctions on rares forum.Shouldnt there be a kind of policy that says that items on the dupe list is not allowed to be in auction?

Regards
The Scandinavian

N

NewThunder

Hi there,

indeed good work so far.
Sad that one member already have decided to quit.

Who?

And how about the auctions on rares forum.Shouldnt there be a kind of policy that says that items on the dupe list is not allowed to be in auction?

Regards
The Scandinavian

I always thought that stratics policy was determined by the stratics admins. Let's face it all this talk of duping there is no hard proof, since there can be no true way of telling what items should or shouldn't be placed on the "duped" list, it would be completely subjective to the whims of the powers that be what items could then be auctioned on the rares forum. Why not let the free market decide what items sell on the rares forum, clearly questionable items will not be well recieved by the bidding public.

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought that stratics policy was determined by the stratics admins. Let's face it all this talk of duping there is no hard proof, since there can be no true way of telling what items should or shouldn't be placed on the "duped" list, it would be completely subjective to the whims of the powers that be what items could then be auctioned on the rares forum. Why not let the free market decide what items sell on the rares forum, clearly questionable items will not be well recieved by the bidding public.
Maybe I was not clear.
I am talking about Rare Council.As a member of rares Council I would like the Rares Council as a group to amoung us have a policy that says items on dupe list will not be in any rares auctions started by a Rares Council member.

Duping is on the list of most important issues in the High Councils list.
It would be redicoulous if we have a dupe list and even the member of Rares Council comtinues to allow that kind of auction.

Hopefully this make what i meant much clearer.

Not a member:do whatever you like that fits in the rules of stratics.
Member:follow some kind of policy that for instance items on dupe list is not allowed in auctions held by Rares Council members.

Regards
The Scandinavian

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's face it all this talk of duping there is no hard proof,
Oh, but there is plenty of real hard evidence. What you mean to say is that YOU don't have any. That is too bad.

If you want real hard evidence you have to either take the time and have the resources to go out looking for it yourself or simply believe a primary/secondary source. Thats how real world works too.

Scandinavian: That is possible but it would have to be decided by everyone. I tend to think that providing pertinent information is more than enough. At which point the "free market" can take its course. Who am I to tell you that you cannot buy the two storey statue that you always wanted because it has been duped in the past? It would cause a lot of extra burden for the council to enforce it and quite frankly, I would like the focus to be more on promoting more community building events like Rare Festival.

Moslar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to help you guys assist in making the stories, and facts, behind the rares throughtout our history. I have a high regard in this and would love to know as much as I can and help collect the data. Let me know please.

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scandinavian: That is possible but it would have to be decided by everyone. I tend to think that providing pertinent information is more than enough. At which point the "free market" can take its course. Who am I to tell you that you cannot buy the two storey statue that you always wanted because it has been duped in the past? It would cause a lot of extra burden for the council to enforce it and quite frankly, I would like the focus to be more on promoting more community building events like Rare Festival.

Yes ofcourse we have to decide in Rares Council together and Im not that naive that I think people will stop buying items because they are duped.

But I do believe that there are defferent levels of dupes.
If there instead of being only 10 items actually do exist 30 its not that big deal maybe.

Easiest example of item that I think most people would agree are so incredible destroyed by duping that everyone easy would turn the back on is Vine cords.That extreme dupe made even the devs remove it.

Regards
The Scandinavian