• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rangers of the Abyss Quest

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahoy fellow pirates!

I recommend all to participate in the Rangers of the Abyss Quest that is currently active! Not only do you have the chance to get a nice reward, it is also fun and challenging.

The background of this event is described here.

The runes to the two quest givers are locked down at the front of the Jolly Roger Inn. Prerequisite: You need to have completed the Quest to enter the Stygian Abyss.

Part 1 sends you on an adventure where you have to acquire four items and get the lamp of spirituality as a reward.

The hardest part is to get the Dark Wisp Orb. To achieve that, you have to go into the Wisp Dungeon in Ilshenar. In Level 2, a Dark Wisp Chest is spawning in a random room (there are about 6 places in that level where it can spawn), guarded by Dark Wisps Guardians. If you kill the two guardians, the color of the chest will eventually change and you will get access. When you open it, the orb will appear in your backpack. If other adventurers are there, it is sufficient to do enough damage to the Guardians. Even if you don't get to open the chest, the orb will be in your backpack nevertheless. It is recommended to bring an undead slayer. Wisps are also vulnerable to the Pixie Swatter, a melee weapon with Use Best Weapon Skill.

The Rare Serpent Egg can be acquired by opening the Snake Nests in the Serpent Lair in the Stygian Abyss Dungeon. It can take lots of tries before you finally dig out an egg. A snake slayer might be helpful, and a snake charmer flute will make things a lot easier.

In Part 2 (now inactive) you have to find the housing spots in the Stygian Abyss Dungeon by using the lantern, which you got as a reward from Part 1. Each day, a new housing spot will be available. For each discovered spot, you will get a reward from the quest giver. Attention: The wooden chest where the rewards can be gotten is hidden beneath a display case behind the quest giver. It is quite hard to find (pressing Ctrl-Shift helps). The most valuable rewards (and the most rare ones) I have heard of are: A relic fragment, a special talisman, a special cloak. The other items you get (weapons, armor pieces, jewelry) are mostly junk.

Part 3: Go to Geoffrey again and he will send you to the house plot in the Abyss. Use the colored virtue ink on your lantern when standing on the plot. You then have a tiny chance to win the house plot. If you return to Geoffrey, you have a chance to receive above mentioned rewards, not matter if you won or not. This can be done with every character once a day until the house is won.

Have fun!

P.S.: Detailed story with screenshots is now available here!

K

Kel Wyn

Ahoy fellow pirates!
The Rare Serpent Egg can be acquired by opening the Snake Nests in the Serpent Lair in the Stygian Abyss Dungeon. It can take lots of tries before you finally dig out an egg. A snake slayer might be helpful.
Or get a snake charming flute. Use the flute, click on a snake, click on a nest, and the snake will try to dig for the egg. The second try got me the egg, you can use the flute even while being hidden. You just have to pick up the egg, it doesn't appear in your bag like the wisps orb.

Oh, and make sure to get the quest before you try to get the Wisp Orb ;-)

The 6th try got me a nice Ranger Cloak of Augmentation with 5% Kinetic Eater, 5% SSI and a little more.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the input, Kel Wyn!

Here some details about the rewards:

Frostguard Talisman
Cold Eater 5%
Mana Regeneration 1
Lower Mana Cost 5%
Cold Resist 3%

Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation
Kinetic Eater 5%
Spell Damage Increase 3%
Lower Mana Cost 1%
Swing Speed Increase 5%

Relic Fragment
Usually 5 of those are needed to imbue a powerful attribute on an item.

I guess the chances of getting one of those rewards are about 20%

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long will this be around?
Is it permanent?
If not I will just have to turn the other way since I probably wont be around before it ends.
Would love a cloak rather than a quiver.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last (7th) virtue node will open on April 11th. This means, if you have 7 characters, you get 7x7 chances for a good reward. I think the chances are good that you will get at least a cloak, a talisman and a couple of relic fragments.

I wouldn't expect the quest to be active longer than 1 week after April 11th, but nobody really knows. When will you return?

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I've failed to pass English this go around already with family getting all together for the last time for five years with my brother going off to be stationed in Japan I pushed aside important work that I shouldn't have.
So now I have a light load of reading anthropology works and studying Deutsch.

So I was thinking about coming back early but I'd really like to get a summer job to finance my playing and a few other thing while getting back in shape after about 2 years of being over weight due to eating habits I've acquired. I doubt I'll come back in time to get a cloak which is the only one I'd really want, besides maybe a talisman, because a house in a dungeon isn't appealing to me at all.

In fact I think it's an appalling idea to let someone have a house in the dungeon because you know at least one of them on every shard is going to be ridiculous looking.

If I won it I'd take it though only to sell it for about 200 mil while people still want it then I'd probably buy some of the things I've wanted in UO since I started that I haven't gotten yet.

But back to the question I might come back before May if I get some things in order, I'd really like to start up random 4 square games on campus, but now I'm ranting.

Right now I'm slating my return for after finals.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI:
Part 1 of the quest is still active.
Part 2 is now finished (the part where you have to find the virtue nodes)
Part 3 is active. Go to Geoffrey again and he will send you to the property in the Abyss. Again, you can receive the rewards mentioned above.

If you missed Part 2, you still have the chance to do Part 1 and then get the rewards in Part 3 of the quest with all your characters.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I've failed to pass English this go around already with family getting all together for the last time for five years with my brother going off to be stationed in Japan I pushed aside important work that I shouldn't have.
So now I have a light load of reading anthropology works and studying Deutsch.

So I was thinking about coming back early but I'd really like to get a summer job to finance my playing and a few other thing while getting back in shape after about 2 years of being over weight due to eating habits I've acquired. I doubt I'll come back in time to get a cloak which is the only one I'd really want, besides maybe a talisman, because a house in a dungeon isn't appealing to me at all.

In fact I think it's an appalling idea to let someone have a house in the dungeon because you know at least one of them on every shard is going to be ridiculous looking.

If I won it I'd take it though only to sell it for about 200 mil while people still want it then I'd probably buy some of the things I've wanted in UO since I started that I haven't gotten yet.

But back to the question I might come back before May if I get some things in order, I'd really like to start up random 4 square games on campus, but now I'm ranting.

Right now I'm slating my return for after finals.
First of all, best wished to Deranigan, my two years in Japan were among the best two years of my life... I'm sure he'll find it similarly rewarding!

Second, if you can't get yourself a cloak, I will give you my extra. There's no point in paying to play for a silly cloak if you have more important (real life) things on your plate.

Third, I have plans for my dungeon house! (No, I didn't win and odds are slim since I'm only playing one of my characters for the dungeon house. But I figure that makes me a lock, nay?) I would hate to lose my house-in-the-valley, but since the borg cube moved in next door to me, that house is a lot less desirable.

Finally, if you need help with your German, I know JUST the guy who can help you!
*points at Pike* Then again, I can also point at another 4 crew mates and get equally quality German... I'm learning German lately just by watching guild chat!

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all, best wished to Deranigan, my two years in Japan were among the best two years of my life... I'm sure he'll find it similarly rewarding!

Second, if you can't get yourself a cloak, I will give you my extra. There's no point in paying to play for a silly cloak if you have more important (real life) things on your plate.

Third, I have plans for my dungeon house! (No, I didn't win and odds are slim since I'm only playing one of my characters for the dungeon house. But I figure that makes me a lock, nay?) I would hate to lose my house-in-the-valley, but since the borg cube moved in next door to me, that house is a lot less desirable.

Finally, if you need help with your German, I know JUST the guy who can help you!
*points at Pike* Then again, I can also point at another 4 crew mates and get equally quality German... I'm learning German lately just by watching guild chat!
I'm actually getting an A or 1 in it but I have no one around me to actually practice it with haha so my skills fade whenever I'm not taking a class.

And German is only the first stop in my linguistics trip especially if I end up as a field anthropologist. In my line are Arabic and Spanish hopefully although I'd really like to learn Japanese.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I admire people who speak many languages!

I agree with Farsight, don't BUY such a cloak. There are other ways to get it.

If I win the Abyss house (which I won't, cause I never am that lucky), I will have to think about what I will do with it. Giving up the Jolly Roger Inn is out of the question. On the other hand, I would want to keep the Abyss house in UP possession permantently. I would like to build an UP outpost there, that gives our friends and us a safe place and an easy access into the dungeon.

K

Kel Wyn

Does anyone have an extra Talisman that he/she would trade for a cloak? :)

Talking so many languages would cause a major headache to me, german and a little english are enough for my brain. Learning japanese must be really hard, I've been to Moscow for a weekend last december, and it's really confusing when you don't have the hint of an idea what the traffic signs are saying. I imagine japanese to be even harder.

Usually I only talk german in guild-chat when I see that noone else is online, if you come online and see someone talking german just say hello and I'll switch to english.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone have an extra Talisman that he/she would trade for a cloak? :)

Talking so many languages would cause a major headache to me, german and a little english are enough for my brain. Learning japanese must be really hard, I've been to Moscow for a weekend last december, and it's really confusing when you don't have the hint of an idea what the traffic signs are saying. I imagine japanese to be even harder.

Usually I only talk german in guild-chat when I see that noone else is online, if you come online and see someone talking german just say hello and I'll switch to english.
I currently have only one Frostguard Talisman. Should I get another one before the Abyss house is won, it is yours. I think the cloak is more useful anyway. The talisman is only good for certain occasions (against creatures doing cold damage), the cloak is a great universal item for both melee and spellcasting characters.

I also speak English whenever I see non-German guild members online. But I don't check the guild roster all the time.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Turns out the tome of a book I have to read isn't going to be as intensive as I thought turn's out I don't have to read three of the longer chapters, Hooray!

One more good sign for me haha.

Oh and ya I'd like of of those cloaks to wear instead of a quiver I mean I only have one archer. Here's hoping it takes them another month to straighten out this event so I can try to grab myself a cloak.