• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Random, Pointless Question

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

While I am doing other things, I am deeply curious: how many of you would have your faith in the universe shaken if I stopped doing the f-word-themed FoF titles? I kind of want to quit it, because frankly I'm running out of family-friendly f-words, but I hesitate to break a pattern. What do you all think?

(Hey, I told you it was random and pointless!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but un-family friendly F words might get you more readers...can you imagine !*@% on Friday?

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

While I am doing other things, I am deeply curious: how many of you would have your faith in the universe shaken if I stopped doing the f-word-themed FoF titles? I kind of want to quit it, because frankly I'm running out of family-friendly f-words, but I hesitate to break a pattern. What do you all think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flwyddyn nesaf...
Fel golau dydd...
Ffordd o siarad...
Felsu dau...
Fel dwr ar gefn hywaden...
Fawr sans...
Ffolant...
Fel y gellir gweld...

OK: Only a dozen people would be able to read them, but so what!

No clever alliterations; but who needs them them when you have words like "flwyddyn."

*grins*

M

Maximinus Thrax

Use other languages before you give up
There should be enough F words to last over a decade!

K

Kith Kanan

Jeremy I'm pretty sure we would survive the chance , I just want good news , be it spelled with an F or an Ø

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I kind of want to quit it, because frankly I'm running out of family-friendly f-words,

[/ QUOTE ]

*chuckles* Call 'em as you will. How about Seven for Siege? I know, I know... I will hush now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does have a ring to it though...

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'F' has no meaning for me anymore. When it was simply Five on Friday, it had meaning. Other phrases with 'F' in it on the first and last word don't mean the same.

but as long as you are going to drop the 'F' words, feel free to post your Q and A on any day of the week!

J

joblackjon

How about really changing the format? Call it TGIF :
Thirteen GOOD Inquiries on Friday

G

Ummm, s'cuse me? Klingons are not of UO origin are they? Gargoyles we have ... how about Gargish? With Klingon subtitles in about 4 point font?

G

<blockquote><hr>

*chuckles* Call 'em as you will. How about Seven for Siege? I know, I know... I will hush now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me smile.

G

NO! Then she might forget its supposed to be atleast 5!

*puts foot down*

J

Jhym

No problem for me. Maybe make them holiday/week/day oriented. "Prodigious Pancake Friday" and "Presidential Perusal". Or whatever other holidays are out there, no reason to keep it USA oriented.

G

- Ahh just go hit the dictionary, it's fun!

Forego or Flourish?

Sure, get rid of the ef's.

But what kind of replacement do you have in mind so we can still easily refer to them with a common phrase/acronym/term?

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

Klingon? Hmm.... That'd be tricky. I could probably do it in the Old Tongue, though. Or possibly Orcish. *scans bookshelf* Lots of ideas...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it in the Ultima runic alphabet.

Elvish would also be good.

Could start with: "Vedui, mellonamin!!"

-Galen's player

G

I loved them titles

But I think I can live with other versions as well

So, go for it!

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Klingon? Hmm.... That'd be tricky. I could probably do it in the Old Tongue, though. Or possibly Orcish. *scans bookshelf* Lots of ideas...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it in the Ultima runic alphabet.

Elvish would also be good.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOH ! runes

scrambled runes

scrambled runes as clues ....

an internet scavenger hunt ...

trolls can sit here and cry cry cry ...

We can selll them "info" for rmt ...

Brilliant !

I

imported_Chad Sexington

Hows about: "Ten on Tuesday" &amp; "Ten More on Thursday"

G

Go through the letters U, L, T, I, M, A over and over keeping it themed and on the next letter each week. hehehe

G

The F theme was cute, and it showed that you cared, but it should not be a problem that has you chewing your nails! If it takes excessive time and effort now, then let it die quietly. All is well!

I

imported_S!ckLoveR

Breaking patterns.. Being said about Ultima Online? *Mumbles*

L

Lady Arianne

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be ' Vendui '

P

Piper Everwood

I say go for it. You work so hard as it is if u need to change it or try something diferent I say I am all for it. I know some complain only about the bad, but some of us know how hard you guys work to make uo so great. So u wont hear me complaining.

G

The weekly communication is more important than the name. It really is the main tool of communications from the EA/Mythic team at this point. While some may scoff at the information provided, there are plenty of those that find it quite useful.

G

Kind of reminds me of my childhood. Had this ultra conservative old school Baptist pastor who insisted on always delivering a "three point alliterated sermon with a poem at the end." His favorite theme seemed to be the letter P and for all those years, I still can't tell you what propitiation means even if it was one of his favorite P points week after week. Get right down to it, he was boring as all get out and I don't really remember much of anything he ever said beyond the titles.

My point? I think I have one even if I can't match the letters up. Come to find out, the content is a whole lot more important than the title.

I

imported_Spiritless

Didn't even notice there was a "theme."

Either way, I don't care about it. I think most people just want to see the information expressed within; the name is unimportant.

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

As long as you keep it going (the relatively high "useful" to "fluffy" proportion pleases me greatly, and I wish my fellow players appreciated this more), as far as I'm concerned you could title it in Klingon.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Orcish might be hard... well Ultima Orcish anyways... the only book I recall is "A grammar of orcish" and "Phonemes of the Orcish Tongue" both by Yorick of Yew, and that is no help... better luck with gargoyle

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Flwyddyn nesaf...
Fel golau dydd...
Ffordd o siarad...
Felsu dau...
Fel dwr ar gefn hywaden...
Fawr sans...
Ffolant...
Fel y gellir gweld...

OK: Only a dozen people would be able to read them, but so what!

No clever alliterations; but who needs them them when you have words like "flwyddyn."

*grins*

[/ QUOTE ]

Welsh? Gaelic? Enlighten us.

OZ

[/ QUOTE ]

My best detective work dertermined: Welsh

M

Millie

Jeremy's Jargon or Jeremy's Jabber would fit on any day of the week.

D

dmodesto

You just keep letting us know what's going on in ultima, that's all we ask

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be ' Vendui '

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wouldn't.

Vendui is Drow.

Though for some reason neither word is in the Gray Company's elf dictionary.

Weird.

Google "vedui" and you get elf resources. Google "vendui" and you get Drow resources.

-Galen's player

G

<blockquote><hr>

dsnchanted395, most of the questions are user-submitted. Submit them here!

[/ QUOTE ]

So why does that form still have an inquery for "KR Beta" and not for "KR Release" ?
(For that matter perhaps it should have a "Five on Friday Question/Topic" Option)

Again, much rather see time spent on attention to detail *grins*

~Rai

G

Jeremy, you can do what the Dev's do with new items in the game. Reuse your words but change the Hue (color/font). J/k

G

No need to stick to a pattern , but stick to a theme.
If FoF doesnt match anymore, cause u cant stick to 5 questions call it ...
AOF: Answers On Friday
AAU: Answers And Updates
UOF: Updates On Fridays

or just FAQ

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How about "The Friday FAQs"?

U

uo_kaladin

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just say no.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Lighten up, dude. Jeremy was just making conversation. You know community interaction and stuff? The Friday thing is what it is. Do not expect the Earth to shake every Friday. *shakes head*

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly his reaction was the same as mine. I thought, wow, there are so many more important issues with the game, why waste time on this? Although I am sure I can come up with at least one "F" word.

And as a community relations person why not keep us up to date on fixes or game changes? The only answer I can come up with is that EA knows we will not like what we hear, so they just ignore it.

Tell us something like " we are not going to address PvP for 2 more years". I may not like this answer but at least i can respect it, and then make a decision as to whether i quit uo or not.

If I wanted to listen to a puppet talk, I would watch the political debates.

As I have stated before, Jeremy is stuck between a rock and a hard place. we want answers and she cant give them, yet she has to be the face of EA.

I know it's not her choosing, but since she is our only avenue of getting heard have to flame her!! I have earned the right as a paying cusrtomer for over 10 years with multiple accounts.

I thought about going to the Florida get together and voice my opinion, but I figure it would be a waste of time.

I will fall over in my chair the day she actualy addresses some of the tough questions we all have.

Here are some actual subjects that need to be addressed.

Chiv or all skills should work like most other skills where you need 120 to cast certain spells without ever failing, instead of just 80 skill.

Paralyze spell should not be able to be released by a trapped pouch, only by having magic resist. This goes for every form of para, including weapon specials.

Fix the flagging but. The one that makes blue aggressors turn blue to their victim after thier victim dies instead of still being flagged for 2 minutes like supposed to.

Make all wandering healres in Fel RED!!!!!!! there is no need for blue healers in Fel.

Make it to where if someone sicks their pet on you, they can not log out to retrieve their pet for 2 minutes.

Add mage spellbooks that have Lower Magic Resist, or lighining or fireball or mana leach or hit lower attack.

Change it to where mages with wrestling can do specials without tactics

Fix the polymorph but that allows people to sit in guard zone and get people guard whacked.

Fix BOD's

Fix Crafting.

I believe the PvP changes will go a huge way to keeping our big fat mouths SHUT!!

M

Maximinus Thrax

Detective work, also known as googlework!

Anyhoo I think Jeremy should start with Old English and Middle English before moving to other languages.

Also, Tolkien's Elven languages would be neat to see.

L

Lady Arianne

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be ' Vendui '

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wouldn't.

Vendui is Drow.

Though for some reason neither word is in the Gray Company's elf dictionary.

Weird.

Google "vedui" and you get elf resources. Google "vendui" and you get Drow resources.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies.I stand corrected as I thought you were quoting Drow.

I did wonder why you had included mellanomin but didnt want to be seen to be nitpicking.*grins*

I

imported_ParadoxUO

i would say... call it...

"Statler &amp; Waldorf"

why?

because no matter what you do, Jeremy... that is the reaction you will get from most of the folk at the boards!

for the young ones:
"Statler &amp; Waldorf are a pair of Muppet characters, two grumpy old men who first appeared in the television series The Muppet Show heckling the rest of the cast from their balcony seats. They appeared in almost every episode of the show. In Muppets Tonight, based around a television show rather than a theatre, they were shown watching the show at a nursing home but still making rude comments. In The Muppet Show, the two were always insulting Fozzie Bear's poor jokes, except for one occasion where Fozzie, with help from Bruce Forsyth, heckled them back.

Statler &amp; Waldorf's running joke was that, despite constantly complaining about the show and how terrible the acts were, they would always be back the following week in the best seats in the house."

if that isnt our community, i dont know what is...

G

If we are Statler &amp; Waldorf, then does that makes them Miss Piggie, Fozzie and Gonzo...

G

Heh, I personally don't care what the "theme" is or how catchy the title is, as long as the weekly Q&amp;A sessions continue.

-Skylark

G

Muppets = Win.

I just got the season 1 dvd for Xmas as a matter of fact.

I've watched it through about 10 times already too.

=/

It made me sad when UO wouldn't allow me to name one of my chars "The Swedish Chef". My phonetic name in vent is "Bork Bork Bork" ^^

I

imported_ParadoxUO

haha that is my favorite too! (plus the rubber chicken!)

maybe we could add the OST to Jeremys weekly posts! (no pun intended)

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Failing to Follow Frequent Fs For Five on Friday Fortunately Fails to Force a Fervent Fuss From Fellow Fiction Followers.

Ok... now my head hurts...

Sticking with the alliteration pattern would be nice, I think, but I'm not too concerned with what the Five on Friday post is called.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Muppets = Win.

I just got the season 1 dvd for Xmas as a matter of fact.

I've watched it through about 10 times already too.

=/

It made me sad when UO wouldn't allow me to name one of my chars "The Swedish Chef". My phonetic name in vent is "Bork Bork Bork" ^^

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. Swedish Chef + Beaker &gt;&gt; all.

-Skylark