• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] Random Occasional Severe Lag

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm having a problem where every now and again the client will start lagging when I start it up. It will take a long time to get to the log in screen, then anything I do in the client will be like I'm swimming through clay. The only fix when this happens is to reboot my computer - simply restarting the client doesn't do the trick.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm having a problem where every now and again the client will start lagging when I start it up. It will take a long time to get to the log in screen, then anything I do in the client will be like I'm swimming through clay. The only fix when this happens is to reboot my computer - simply restarting the client doesn't do the trick.
if restarting the client don't work its most likely a background application or windows background tasks playing with you, i would suggest keeping an eye on system resources when/if it happens again.

ctrl + alt + delete
task manager - processes/performance tabs

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
if restarting the client don't work its most likely a background application or windows background tasks playing with you, i would suggest keeping an eye on system resources when/if it happens again.

ctrl + alt + delete
task manager - processes/performance tabs
My cpu usage, memory usage, bandwidth usage and system temperatures are always visible to me thanks to the lcd screen on my G15 keyboard and LCDSirReal. When I am having this problem memory usage is normal, and cpu load as well, and I'm not noticing any other funky hardware issues, and I've got plenty of hard drive space on both of my drives and all the partitions. I've also checked the task manager and nothing in the list is tying up any exceptional amount of resources.

It's a mystery Charlie Brown. The only thing I can think of is something like the EC in Windows prefetch becomes corrupted, but I looked at that and it doesn't make any sense to me. Also if it was a prefetch issue you would think that rebooting wouldn't fix it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think I've finally found the culprit here. Restarting both of the Windows 7 audio related services seems to fix the problem (Windows Audio and Windows Endpoint Audio). I finally noticed that the Windows Audio Service was using 100% of one of my four cores, and that was the key. I'm running Windows 7 64 Professional.