• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

raising Honesty

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That's the strange part for me. I have always been an rpg fan/nerd and never even heard of the Ultima Universe until just after AOS launch. So I had a lot of catching up to do.
The original Ultima IV was a PC game and there are alot of free versions of it there on the web.

The version that got me hooked was when it came to NES in 1990. I was only a kid then, so some of the virtue concepts didn't make more sense to me until I was a little older. I loved the companion system in addition to the virtue process. If you can get your hands on one of those retro NES units, you can install ROMs on them and when I got one, Ultima IV was the first game I played again. Highly recommended!

Here's a walkthrough I used - heck this website might even be from the 90's:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IIRC, when they first introduced the virtue system they said there would be a title for being 8x Knight, but apparently they forgot by the time all virtues were implemented.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is there anyone who ever tried that?

i was running around now 2 hours in britannia and did not find a single item...

can someone give me some hints please?
I think that raising this one Virtue is simply not worth it.

Takes way too much time to raise it up to Knight for the extremely little benefit it gives.

Furthermore, ANY purchase, even of a cheap item, would drop it big time from Knightand to raise it back would be again a lot of time to have to be invested.

To my opinion, as Designed, this is a failed Virtue, just not worth the hassle it takes at all.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*puts the old tome labeled Book of Truth back on the shelf and sets his pipe on the table*

Maybe, just maybe, one in pursuit of the eight virtues is striving for the enlightenment of becoming the Avatar. The benefits of each virtue just a slight added bonus to their new found alignment of ideals while in pursuit. Let Truth, Love, and Courage, The three principles the eight virtues derive from guide you in your pursuit this day friends.

*Sets an old looking bell and candle on the shelf next to the book and returns to his pipe by the fire deep in thought*

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We will NEVER be given the title of "Avatar." And that's fine, as it really doesn't make sense in the metacontext of UO.

I'd settle for the choices of Knight of X-virtue, plus Paragon of Infinity or some such for knighting them all. I'd also be fine with a cosmetic/vanity ability, such as a subtle glow around our avatars who managed all 8.

However, they need to add in a switch for Honesty, so it only eats points when you want to use the discount.

The fact that they've continued on with other random stuff without completing what should be a core system in UO is disheartening, but not at all surprising.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree with you on the not completing it. Once they finished the last virtue they should have added some type of title for those who have completed all of them.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I created a whole thread years ago about modernizing the old Virtues and giving them all relatively equal paths to gain (i.e. gaining Virtues for more relevant actions, more compassion sage-like potions, etc.)

Yet no Virtues have even been touched since Honesty and Spirituality. The most they've done is add a P2W shield to the store that helps you gain points "faster."

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Finally!!!!!

If I ever train honesty again (without them changing it) someone please ebolt me inna arse...

Knight of All.jpg

Hints and tips I found useful in addition to those in the thread:

The only towns the lost items seem to go to (at least for me) were:
Brit
Jhelom
Magincia
Moonglow
Skara
Trinsic
Yew

I kept rough notes (sextant coords) on where the people were, while they are not static they did seem to stay in the same general area during the 2 weeks it took me to grind honesty.

Brit - Break the town up into areas when you make notes of who is where. East Brit/West Brit/Outskirsts/Fields (North half/South half etc)

Jhelom - Don't forget the two guard zone areas the teleport pads lead to.

Magincia - They love to walk into vendor houses and hide among the vendors.

Moonglow - The only guard zone I did not find a person was at The Lyceum.

Skara - All of the ones I got (and there were many) were for the main town area. I never had to 'cross' to the guard zone across the water.

Trinsic - At times the person will be stuck between the walls. Some of those areas can be accessed, others can't. Using cntrl/shift does not allow you to hand it to them through the wall.

Yew - You can burn 30-45 minutes making the notes I mentioned or burn that same 30-45 minutes (or longer) each time doing a 'grid search' when you get an item for there... or... you will just get less points dropping at Yew bank.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yew is the worst by far, no doubt. Unless its been changed since I last did it, all the npcs have gold colored health bars... so in Yew you can just run around smashing ctrl/alt keys to show all tags looking specifically for gold colored health bars n find ur guy pretty quick (compared to the alternative). But ya, Yew blows ;)

Congrats bro :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yew is the worst by far, no doubt. Unless its been changed since I last did it, all the npcs have gold colored health bars... so in Yew you can just run around smashing ctrl/alt keys to show all tags looking specifically for gold colored health bars n find ur guy pretty quick (compared to the alternative). But ya, Yew blows ;)

Congrats bro :)
Thanks.

Yeah, Yew is still the same. They can be literally anywhere in the Guard zone. I got tired of running an East to West route from northern most to southern most point back and forth with about a 5 tile gap between each pass through.. that is what led me to logging the location where any gold name was. After that it was really easy. Only had to look for about 5 minutes as they do not stray too far.

I do think a new keyboard is in the near future... those cntrl/shift keys too a beating on this one :lol:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Totally missing the point... But whatever... I've been a knight of all the virtues for a very long time... so it really doesn't matter... I was just point out that it's not considerate of certain play styles... If I wanted to go to all that bother of putting the dang thing on and off what's the point of buying something like that if half the time it's in my backpack? Spend good money on something ought to be able to use it on any template... not just a select few.
Yep.
Yet another example of the devs creating things and trying to balance game mechanics without specifically thinking about you and your characters.
It’s just not right :(

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think forensics starts to work at 75 or so, Im at 76,8 and while it takes some tries it works. I might have gained to 76,8 just from ggs while trying to identify items. Go check around the New Maginica moongate both facets, usually 1-2 pieces there, just checked my homeshard and found 1 in fel and 2 in trammel.
Having done this on another shard recently, I can say that you will start being able to occasionally identify whose item it is at 56. And a good idea to start a new character with 50 Forensics, so you can at least start identifying the town, rather than buying to 30 or so and training it up from there.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Finally, like all the virtues, you DO eventually get a message saying you have reached the maximum value and can't gain any more. I wondered about this because you do not explicitly get a message saying "you have gained in Honesty" when turning in items to people. The maximum value is beyond the 80 items needed to reach Knight status, I stopped keeping an exact count but I would guess it was 10-20 more past achieving Knight.
There still is no message about gaining (other than the thank you from the NPC) or getting to the next level, just for hitting the max of Honesty.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Having done this on another shard recently, I can say that you will start being able to occasionally identify whose item it is at 56. And a good idea to start a new character with 50 Forensics, so you can at least start identifying the town, rather than buying to 30 or so and training it up from there.
thats a great point.
did that too, had a forensics guy i would pass off items to for identifying the npc and town, then trade items back for turning them in.

Moonglow is another great spot to find things for honesty. check around the coastline , i circled the whole island and came up with about 12 lost items.