• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Raise Spell Focusing Sash from 70-110 with a single spell!

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
I have a SW bard that I use. Playing around with him, I found that wildfire proc's the spell focusing sash 1 step per damage tick. With a 6 focus, it proc's to 110. This makes the sash so much more viable in PvM, even PvP if you can get them to agree to stay in the field long enough :0P.
This is Marshall's WOD damage with Spell Focus at 128, and tribulation running. I have found ways since to boost my SDI even higher. With sash at 130 and running provo buffs, he can hit 1560+ wods.
bomBard (3).png

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm intrigued, though I don't understand.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
If you cast wildfire, with ONLY a single target taking damage, the sash step (SDI) will increase for each damage tick. You only have to cast it once. Hover over the buff bar and you can watch it increase each time. So, instead of casting 11 spells to get to 110 SDI from sash, you only cast one. This VASTLY increases your net SDI. Spell Focusing Sash - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Also, while the UOGuide page shows 120 as the cap, the buff bar goes to 130.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
From UO Guide:
" That combination equates to nearly 2 free spells worth of damage output to the target over the course of 21 casts. This analysis suggests that it is the comparable to 10% SDI. "

With all of the SDI boosters available today, it isn't too difficult to get to the 250 SDI cap anymore if you're using Spellweaving with Level 6 focus and have an SDI suit with the necessary gear. Any mage worth their salt is running a second suit to switch to this for nuking Word of Death. I'm not sure the overall 10% SDI is worth it, let alone that then you need to start tracking number of spells cast, etc. It's not a bad item by any means, but there more options today to ramp up spell damage than ever before. I find the Lt Sash to be more useful. Just my two cents - interesting read none the less.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From UO Guide:
" That combination equates to nearly 2 free spells worth of damage output to the target over the course of 21 casts. This analysis suggests that it is the comparable to 10% SDI. "

With all of the SDI boosters available today, it isn't too difficult to get to the 250 SDI cap anymore if you're using Spellweaving with Level 6 focus and have an SDI suit with the necessary gear. Any mage worth their salt is running a second suit to switch to this for nuking Word of Death. I'm not sure the overall 10% SDI is worth it, let alone that then you need to start tracking number of spells cast, etc. It's not a bad item by any means, but there more options today to ramp up spell damage than ever before. I find the Lt Sash to be more useful. Just my two cents - interesting read none the less.
since when has sdi been hard capped at 250? That's honestly the first time I hear about it ever, so far I was under the impression that there is no hard cap for sdi in the game (except for the maximum ammount you can get from existing items and buffs of course)

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
always has been 250. just no one but bards could hit it till recently. I hit over 250 on Marshall, My BOMB-bard, back in December.
Here He has town buff (bugged on icon), reaper, and arcane empowerment. He is 4x legendary bard, so his inspire gives 22%. SDI is 220.
1621551075531.png

120 S/W, Focus 6 arcane empowerment gives 40 SDI. S0, if you are correct, his SDI should be 260, right? Here you can see it is capped at 250.
1621551174951.png

If it wasn't I could actually get him to 280 with SDI pie and grapes.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
From UO Guide:

The overall 10% SDI mentioned from UO Guide is based on the number of spell cast to get to positive SDI, as shown in the chart. Casting Wildfire bypasses the need to cast 15 other spells. Also, that page is incorrect as the max SDI from the sash is 130, which changes the net gain. It is ALSO invalid because magic arrow does not progress at the same % as level 5 or better spells. Basically, don't refer to that page as it is not correct. I am working with a buddy to try to get a more realistic damage spread, and show just how HUGE the gain is from using 1 spell vice 15. You have to DO it to see what I am talking about for now.

Also, I see that the SDI bonus from sash is applied AFTER the SDI from gear / skills is applied, to the new total. With sash and 250 SDI I can hit 1500+ wods. With jsut 250 SDI I can hit 1200+.

As the sash REALLY works, using mindblast to advance the spell sash step is the most effective with magery. Per Magery, Evaluate Intelligence and Meditation – Ultima Online it takes 1.5 seconds to recover from a spell. FC 6 negates the recovery time for mage spells. The casting time for Mindblast is Magery Spells – Ultima Online 1.5 seconds. 1 second for mindblast with FC 2/6. The step does not advance until the damage hits, which takes 1-2 seconds (Magery Spells – Ultima Online). So, 45 seconds overall max (although it seems like much longer in game), with an attendant SDI overall loss for each one.
A single wildfire spell takes Magery Spells – Ultima Online 2.5 seconds, 1.5 at 4/6 casting. It lasts 5 seconds at 6 focus, 120 skill.
Therefore, in time savings alone you save 40 seconds.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've never been a fan of WOD. I am however a big fan of Death Ray, but for whatever reason the devs limit that attack to a single person, while everyone on the planet can WOD everything..makes perfect sense. It should be renamed Words of Death.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, I see that the SDI bonus from sash is applied AFTER the SDI from gear / skills is applied, to the new total. With sash and 250 SDI I can hit 1500+ wods. With jsut 250 SDI I can hit 1200+.
I hit for around 2000 WoD's with much less than 250 sdi, no spell focus sash, and no bard buffs. That's with just Reaper form and arcane empowerment running with a 6 focus. I would think with 250 sdi you would be hitting for a lot more than 1200+. I have not tested since the new sdi items came out (hook's shield/yukio's earrings). The numbers I posted are with a base sdi of 151. Throw in legendary bard provo buffs and I can hit for 2500+.