• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

quick question

• Thread starter Samantha [ATL]
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Samantha [ATL]

I hope this is the right place to be posting this. I'm not really a new player (9-10 months of playing =]) buuuut, I'm going to be getting a new computer sometime in the future, a Mac to be exact. And I was wondering if UO is Mac OS compatible? I've been trying to search for an answer on my own via stratics and such but I have yet to find an answer.

And if it isn't, will it ever be?

Thanks!

I

imported_Spiritless

It isn't directly compatible with OSX, no. It likely never will have a native OSX client either due to the vast dominance of the Windows boxes in the desktop market. There are very few commercial games out there, comparatively, that have native clients for other operating systems than Windows. This is purely because it doesn't make sense to spend the development time putting them together when you'll never acquire that development money back due to the low demand.

That said, there are methods of playing UO on a Mac machine. The first method entails running the Windows files on the Mac using a compatibility layer called CrossOver. You may have mixed results with this, and may not be able to use UOAssist in conjunction with your client.

The other method is by using Boot Camp to install Windows XP alongside your OSX installation. This will allow you to start Windows XP and play UO in its native environment. This will likely yield better results.

Hope this helps. Take care.

S

Samantha [ATL]

Well that's no fun, but if that's what I'm going to have to do to play it, I will.

And I haven't ever played WoW, but they have it Mac compatible. =[

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. =]