• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Questions about upcoming Krampus event

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the Krampus event supposed to be a solo event or one for all who care to join in? It appears that the trade routes are done by individuals to get a Krampus to spawn - and then the town crier declares where the Krampus is currently at? Also, what pet/s are Tamers planning on using since it appears that "icy creatures" will most likely be doing cold damage and have high cold resists, which would argue against using the crowd favorite pet , the Cu. Thank you all!

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
spent couple hours on test couldnt get anything to spawn except slime that die in one hit no loot,maybe i did it wrong but couldnt get krampus to spawn hope they adjust this

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The spawn is progressive, the more trades you do the harder the spawn is, but you have to do the run without using moongates, using those won't progress the spawn. On test I basically found I live the wrong side of the ocean. Working consistently from server up I would get the spawn from frost spiders and slime, through ice and snow eles, to frost trolls and ice serpents and then to ice fiends and white wyrms, then find it was time to log and cook our evening meal, being 5 hours ahead of test center. By the time I got back on line the Krampus had spawned and been killed and the spawn was back at spiders.
On that basis I decided to wait till the publish hit Europa. The more people that are doing trades, the quicker the spawn will progress.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Better spots to do the orders from:

1. Britain.
    Pros: Centrally located on mainland. You can reach Skara or Yew going West (bring a boat for Skara - and you can take the Despise/Wind pass to go Northwest to Yew as well), or North to Minoc & Vesper. Trinsic & Jhelom (Jhelom requires a boat, but is only a minute away from jungle even by Rowboat - and rowboats only get land ambush encounters) are relatively easy trips to south.
    Cons: Only about half the shards currently have a moongate near WBB for quickly getting rid of trips to Moonglow & New Mag. Also, the Guard Zones exist 20-25 Degrees to south and west of city, even though ambushes can start 10 degrees or less from the throne of British's castle (0, 0 lat/long). I mentioned it to Mesanna at the LA meeting, but I don't think she and the others understood what this does to spellcasters trying to do regular trade orders, let alone event ones like last year's or the upcoming Krampus.
  2. Yew.
    Pros: Very limited shops, so doing trips are relatively cheap and have easy-to-get items (even if you forget and have to buy them at the destination).
    Cons: Only Skara (requiring a boat to cross ferry) and Britain are reasonably close.
  3. Minoc.
    Pros: Almost as limited as Yew, relatively close moongate for doing ones that don't count toward Krampus.
    Cons: Only Vesper is close, followed by Britain.
  4. New Magincia.
    Pros: Most limited shop selection, so very small selection of items you'll be transporting. Best place for non-event runs where you are just trying for pinks and commodities, not the rares.
    Cons: You have to sail EVERYWHERE to make it count for Krampus, and has anyone even tested what you get for seaborne encounters for Krampus?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are no sea-based Krampus encounters, he can only spawn on land after 25 completed (non-moongate) trade runs.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are no sea-based Krampus encounters, he can only spawn on land after 25 completed (non-moongate) trade runs.
How many times will this question be asked? :) 25 is easy to remember.

Do the ones to Islands count towards the 25? What if it is 25 and you go straight to a boat and into a city harbor?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
25 completed orders for the shard, not each player, before he spawns.

Yes, completed orders to island cities, not using a moongate, count towards the total...but you're likely to miss when he spawns if you're trapped on a boat.

Lily Grace

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I'll be able to ever get the spawn up toward even getting Krampus minions to spawn. I've gotten as far as getting frost elementals and some hardy icy serpents to spawn in the water, but then real life calls. By the time I take care of a few things in RL if I go back into the game an continue trade runs I'm knocked back down to beginner spawn. Why put something like this together that requires you grind for so many hours? Why can't the trade runs be cumulative toward upping the spawn and not have real life breaks cause a reset?

So you do five trade runs then have to go cook supper. When you come back and resume why can't you be working on the sixth trade run instead of being back to square one? I have no idea how many runs before minion appear but say it's 15 trade runs. Why can't we do, just to throw a number out, 8 trade runs and call it a night? The next day start on number 9. You play up to 15 and start spawning minions. You complete 18 trade runs then real life calls. Why can't you come back later and still have those trade runs under your belt so you get some chance to spawn Krampus? Have it reset if you die. Have it reset after Krampus spawns.

The way it is now I'll never be able to play long enough and run the routes fast enough to make progress. I have a family and pets and a house to take care of. If I was still working full time? Come on!

Too much of a grind for me. :-( It's too bad. I was really looking forward to this being something to do during the holiday season. I hope it gets tweaked.

Lil

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I'll be able to ever get the spawn up toward even getting Krampus minions to spawn. I've gotten as far as getting frost elementals and some hardy icy serpents to spawn in the water, but then real life calls. By the time I take care of a few things in RL if I go back into the game an continue trade runs I'm knocked back down to beginner spawn. Why put something like this together that requires you grind for so many hours? Why can't the trade runs be cumulative toward upping the spawn and not have real life breaks cause a reset?

So you do five trade runs then have to go cook supper. When you come back and resume why can't you be working on the sixth trade run instead of being back to square one? I have no idea how many runs before minion appear but say it's 15 trade runs. Why can't we do, just to throw a number out, 8 trade runs and call it a night? The next day start on number 9. You play up to 15 and start spawning minions. You complete 18 trade runs then real life calls. Why can't you come back later and still have those trade runs under your belt so you get some chance to spawn Krampus? Have it reset if you die. Have it reset after Krampus spawns.

The way it is now I'll never be able to play long enough and run the routes fast enough to make progress. I have a family and pets and a house to take care of. If I was still working full time? Come on!

Too much of a grind for me. :-( It's too bad. I was really looking forward to this being something to do during the holiday season. I hope it gets tweaked.

Lil
You don't do this in isolation, the reason you're back to base level when you come back is that other people have kept the spawn raising and Krampus has been defeated. I experienced the same thing. On main shards with more people doing them, and in our regular time zones, it should be much easier to actually find it, instead of missing it when RL calls.

Lily Grace

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't do this in isolation, the reason you're back to base level when you come back is that other people have kept the spawn raising and Krampus has been defeated. I experienced the same thing. On main shards with more people doing them, and in our regular time zones, it should be much easier to actually find it, instead of missing it when RL calls.
Huh? You're saying there are so many people playing on test center that I keep missing the Krampus spawn when I go do something in real life? And even though I've, a number of times, spent consecutive hours on test center running trade routes, and have never heard anyone say that Krampus has spawned, I'm missing it all when I go make a sandwich? That's why I'm back to spiders and ooze when I get back?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Welp, I guess I will let my accounts rest for December and buy the whips thing in January.
This is sounding again the opposite of fun.

It is quite likely that Krampus will end up spawning on another trade route while you are doing your own trade route, so you will be stuck there, having to finish it before you can try to rush where Krampus is. If, big if, there is a shard wide shout out every 30 or so seconds saying where he is as well.
He will likely be dead by the time you get there. Afaik, cancelling a trade deal through the chest gump drops all the items from the chest on your backpack. So cancelling it won't be an option either.

How the heck do they come up with this kind of stuff?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
oh goodie! another "don't blink cuz you'll miss it!" fest. <sigh> Oh well.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a bark to the people on trade missions when Krampus spawns with his coordinates. You have 5 mins to get there before he's vulnerable.

I'd suggest not filling your box until you reach the destination city so you can cancel the order without messing your pack and teleporting close to Krampus.

25 completed orders will go fairly quickly, especially in the first week or so.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And then there is this:

• Players who complete at least 3 trade runs between killing Krampus will have a guarantee at getting Krampus rewards.
Busy shards may not see many players complete 3 runs between Krampus's if there are a lot of people doing it.

And if Krampus is ridiculously overpowered/high hit points/etc, as I suspect he will be when he hits prodo, slower shards may tire of the grind before many Kramps spawn.

Just have to see how it plays out, I guess...

Lily Grace

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay. I get what you're saying now. Well, then one has to hope their home shard is active enough to get things going. I think it would be nice if the minions have some fun drops as well. Especially in the event there isn't enough activity to get Krampus to spawn. Or folks easily miss getting to the scene before he's vanquished.