• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

questions about freshly tamed pets

N

Naigen

hey guys new tamer here haha, just tamed my first greater drag with these stats

Hit Points: 959
Str/Dex/Int: 626 / 65 / 563
Resists: 85 / 77 / 46 / 55 / 69

right now im wandering once its bonded i heard its possible to train up its skills and resist and stats? is that right?
since im new to taming and training creatures ive completely no clue on how this happens and im a bit worried about its fire resist and dex? would it be possible to train these two stats?

ive checked the faq didnt see anything about it, anyways any info will be great

U

uoBuoY

Only skills can be trained up. Stats & resists are static.

See this POST and this POST for more details.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a Nit on what uoBoy said, Dex/Stamina can be trained to 125.

In many ways from my perspective/opinion this is one of the first things I get done.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Only skills can be trained up. Stats & resists are static.

See this POST and this POST for more details.
This is basically true, except that dexterity can be trained to 125. That's the only stat that can be trained up on greaters. Besides dexterity and skills, nothing else can be raised.

N

Naigen

right i know this is a keeper but do u reckon i should look for a better drag in the future?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
right i know this is a keeper but do u reckon i should look for a better drag in the future?
Well, I'm sure everyone would answer this question differently, but I'll give you my opinion. The dragon has good hp, stats, and resists. If his wrestling trains to 120 (to 119...close as possible), then he's a keeper in my book.

Congrats. :thumbsup:

N

Naigen

haha yeah i noticed the physical resist and hp were very good :)
if the fire resist was maybe around 85 i would not replace it haha but oh well nothing in the world is perfect

anyways there is one question about bonding i have

i wanna train it straight away since i have a itch i wanna scratch. i know i have to feed it then stable it and wait 7 days for it the bond, but is it possible to take him out in those 7 days ? or do does giving it a enw command or anythign reset the timer?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The timer doesn't get reset, as long as he has full loyalty. If he stays wonderfully happy for 7 days, he'll bond, whether he's in the stable or not. If he drops below wonderfully happy, however, it may take a bit longer to bond him, but I doubt it resets the 7-day timer.

I think that he has to spend 7 days or so as "wonderfully happy." If he drops below wonderfully happy, it doesn't reset the timer - it just doesn't count toward the 7 days.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
haha yeah i noticed the physical resist and hp were very good :)
if the fire resist was maybe around 85 i would not replace it haha but oh well nothing in the world is perfect

anyways there is one question about bonding i have

i wanna train it straight away since i have a itch i wanna scratch. i know i have to feed it then stable it and wait 7 days for it the bond, but is it possible to take him out in those 7 days ? or do does giving it a enw command or anythign reset the timer?
The significant risk is that if you should issue a command and the pet rejects it, then you may fall to below Wonderfully Happy. :pint:

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I'm sure I'll get pounced on for saying this, but I train gdrags all the time before they bond. They're usually fully trained before they bond. I've had them fall to Extremely Happy and they still bonded fine for me after seven days. Others have had other experiences, your mileage may vary. The only drags I haven't trained before bonding have been exceptional examples that I was taking no risks with....all you need is a shard outage or some other UO quirk and you risk losing the pet. The risk is yours, it's your drag...;)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't found the happiness level affected any pets I kept out the stables to bond, so I wouldn't worry about that so much. Just make sure the beastie doesn't get killed and stable it before you log off.

Something else you might want to consider though - why not put the keeper draggy in the stables and tame a "stunt" draggy to mess around with? Then you'll get to have some fun without taking risks with the big guy :) I tend to tame a quick stunt pet when I encounter a new critter, then I use him till my keeper of that type is bonded.

Wenchy