• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bushido] Questions about Bokuto

M

Mr.Fernandes

Funny sounding weapon. Anyhoo, I ahve this idea dancing in my head of a Bushido/Parry mage, that uses Bokuto for the nerve strikes.

I haven't been playuing ing QUITE some time though, so I want to get some things clear in my head first:

1) Where can I find Bokutos? They are not for sale at ordinary venders, so I assume I hve to craft them or loot them? Where do they drop?

2) How easy is it to acquire Mage-weapon Bukotos? What about just ordinary spell-channeling ones?

3) Assuming I can get a mage weapon one, si that a good plan for PvP? How common is disarm to run into? Also: what determines which hand is disarmed first on a succesful disarm attempt (if I am holding, say, a Bokuto, and a spellbook, which one do I loose?

4) Is Nerve Strike actually any good? Direct damage is t3h funz0rz and all, but I can't seem to find reliable numbers on how much damage it deals.

5) It says I need Bushido for Nerve Strike. I assume that this replaces the ussual tactics requirement?

Thanks all in advance!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1)Carpenters craft bokutos. I'm not sure if they are loot, even if so, you can spend forever trying to loot the right one.

2)Even if crafting with a runic, it's random if Mage Weap -20 (or -29 even) would occur. Even harder if it's Mage Weap & Spell Channel. Yet more rare Mage Weap & SC & No FC penalty. Spell Channel usually has Fast Cast -1 penalty, but if you roll a FC 1 then it negates the penalty. So let's see, that's 3 properties right there that you would aim for. Then probably want Swing Speed Increase (SSI), unless you have 90 stamina. And maybe a leech property too. And a Carpenter with GM Arms Lore making an exceptional bokuto gets the free Damage Increase (DI) 40%. Max properties is 5 and DI = 6. Then if enhanced with Ash wood it adds +10 ssi so that's 7 properties.

3)It's pretty viable if you can pull it off, but maybe not too wise. (see answer #5). The right hand gets disarmed wheather you have a weapon or a spellbook. Shields don't get disarmed. Two handed weapons also get disarmed. You do run into disarm in PvP often. Even a mage with wrestling can disarm you.

4)Nerve strike sounds good. I have not used it much but I am trying to aim to add bokuto to my repertoire. It stuns your target for a bit, and does a bit more damage as a move. It used to last a long time but has been nerfed to just a few seconds and is breakable, so it's not as good as it used to be 2 yrs ago. It's not a powerful weap, but very fast. The other move, feint, makes it so you take half damage for a little while. I sure notice it!
There's a damage calculator spreadsheet that's 100% accurate that I will find a link and post when i find it.

5)This might be the deal breaker. You need Bushido and tactics to pull off the specials.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
bakuto spawn in tokuno randomly on most creatures

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny sounding weapon. Anyhoo, I ahve this idea dancing in my head of a Bushido/Parry mage, that uses Bokuto for the nerve strikes.

I haven't been playuing ing QUITE some time though, so I want to get some things clear in my head first:

1) Where can I find Bokutos? They are not for sale at ordinary venders, so I assume I hve to craft them or loot them? Where do they drop?

2) How easy is it to acquire Mage-weapon Bukotos? What about just ordinary spell-channeling ones?

3) Assuming I can get a mage weapon one, si that a good plan for PvP? How common is disarm to run into? Also: what determines which hand is disarmed first on a succesful disarm attempt (if I am holding, say, a Bokuto, and a spellbook, which one do I loose?

4) Is Nerve Strike actually any good? Direct damage is t3h funz0rz and all, but I can't seem to find reliable numbers on how much damage it deals.

5) It says I need Bushido for Nerve Strike. I assume that this replaces the ussual tactics requirement?

Thanks all in advance!

This template won't work unless you go with 0 resist, even then, I wouldn't recommend it.

You need 90 swords, 90 tactics, and Bushido to use Nerve Strike, you previously mentioned using a mage weapon which won't work.

Nerve strike damage scales from really effective to kind of minimal, and the paralyze length isn't too long (less than a stun punch). Plus, since you can't toggle spec moves while casting spells the tactics mages are kind of obsolete.

You can use a mage weapon, and pick up 120 bush and 120 parry, and drop med to 80.

It's an effective defensive template but your offense is weak (reduced SDI because of lower intelligence, you need at least 80 dex to parry successfully). I used to play a char with that build and I threw 50 wep skill on the character just for evasion (totally worth it).

C

Chaosy

This template won't work unless you go with 0 resist, even then, I wouldn't recommend it.

You need 90 swords, 90 tactics, and Bushido to use Nerve Strike, you previously mentioned using a mage weapon which won't work.

Nerve strike damage scales from really effective to kind of minimal, and the paralyze length isn't too long (less than a stun punch). Plus, since you can't toggle spec moves while casting spells the tactics mages are kind of obsolete.

You can use a mage weapon, and pick up 120 bush and 120 parry, and drop med to 80.

It's an effective defensive template but your offense is weak (reduced SDI because of lower intelligence, you need at least 80 dex to parry successfully). I used to play a char with that build and I threw 50 wep skill on the character just for evasion (totally worth it).
Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about.