• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question - Skill gains w/ and w/o +Taming gear

T

this guy

When you're trying to skill up and you're wearing +Taming skill jewelery, do you gain from creatures that are right for your base skill or for your adjusted skill?

Example: I'm at 62.0 taming. I'm doing walruses, polar bears and white wolves. I have a bracelet that brings me up to 70 skill. If I wear it, will I still gain just as well from doing walruses and bears?

S

SwordBlaze

When you're trying to skill up and you're wearing +Taming skill jewelery, do you gain from creatures that are right for your base skill or for your adjusted skill?

Example: I'm at 62.0 taming. I'm doing walruses, polar bears and white wolves. I have a bracelet that brings me up to 70 skill. If I wear it, will I still gain just as well from doing walruses and bears?

No, since you have higher skill you will tame them easier and not gain as much. You may still gain but not as fast.

T

this guy

Thank you. I thought that was the pattern I was noticing, but I wanted some kinda confirmation before I invested more time in skilling up. Thanks again!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I remember wearing a jewel around that level when I got bored on Ice isle, and I was gaining from critters appropriate to my adjusted rather than base skill level. So if you're at the right real skill to be taming something, I'd suggest taking off the skill items.

Wenchy

U

uoBuoY

I remember wearing a jewel around that level when I got bored on Ice isle, and I was gaining from critters appropriate to my adjusted rather than base skill level. So if you're at the right real skill to be taming something, I'd suggest taking off the skill items.

Wenchy
You will always have better gains with lower skill. That's why people do Disco training in the Wield. However, you get bored training with livestock! You need to break it up a bit with more challenging stuff.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How could you ever get bored with bulls?! *shock* :D

I know what you mean though, it's fun when you're gaining well, but passing GM is just plain dull.

Wenchy

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a more complicated question and maybe theres even no answer to it ...
Best thing for you is to always have a look at a taming calculator and decide every time new, if you want to wear your jewelry today or not. Some things to consider ...
- You can gain taming only on success. Having a higher chance on gaining could result in beeing slower as with a lower chance but way less taming trys.
- Many skills have a kind of 'sweet spot' for gaining. As far as I remember best gain chances are, when your success rate is about 65-75%. (Even if that is a thumb rule for crafting skills, I use it for taming as well.)
So I would suggest:
Decide which animals/monster you want to tame today and get your taming chance from a calculator. (Even the one from stratics can giv you that value: just let it sort for the taming chance on first try.) Then compare your chances with and without jewelry and make your decision.
At least at higher levels you can do other things besides pure taming for skills:
- looking for a decent pet of some kind
- looking for a pet with a special/rare colour
- collecting pets for the zoo
As an example: My tamer is at 112.x and jeweled up to 115 (cant afford a 120 yet). I mostly go for ki-rins to donate them at the zoo. Actually I am planing a second tamer just to feel the pain of it again. *g* (I have an advanced char token from the 8'th anniversary edition left and someday it will turn into a fresh tamer. I wonder, how many ki-rins it will take from 85 to 115/120. :D )

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, you can certainly get to a sweeter spot with jewellery, I did that to get over a gain block just past GM. And to escape ice island, which always makes my eyes hurt lol.

I've tamed cu sidhe for gains with skill items on, it's not as safe as taming bulls but once your gains are slow you may as well tame "real" pets for the gains. But I don't recommend taming a reptalon for your 120 gain as I did. Now I have herding it'd be a doddle, just at the time...well let's just say it was an eventful week finding and taming him :D

Wenchy

U

uoBuoY

This is your bible: http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/index.shtml
Near the top-left corner, click the Advanced Search option.
Scroll to the bottom and Sort By: Required Taming.
Click Search. You need to scroll nearly to the bottom of that list to locate the the critters that can be tamed. From Cow on down the list is sorted easiest to hardest to tame. Locate the critters in your range and pick the one(s) that spawn frequently and aren't in an agro area.
Train as much as possible with critters that you want to add to you stable.