• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question on life leach

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
In the absence of Vampiric Embrace.

• Is life leach worth it on a one-handed weapon?
  • Is life leach worth it on a one-handed weapon in conjunction with SSI?
  • Are there even definitive answers to these questions or is it all about preference and context?

-John's player

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With a decent suit you usually dont need SSI on a one handed weapon. My 3.5 one hand weapon needs 5% ssi.

I just PvM and I do need the Life Leech. But on a fast one handed weapon like a leaf blade the LL seems pretty small.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First you need to understand how life leech works.

LIfe Drained % = 0 to = Life Leech% * .30

So your average % Would be your life leech *.15

50% On weapon. You drain on average 7.5% of life back.

1. If you have the room and don't need another mod. Why not put life leech on it.
2. Swing Speed Increase Lowers the % for Life leech. So it's best to avoid it on the weapon if you can.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Swing Speed Increase Lowers the % for Life leech. So it's best to avoid it on the weapon if you can.
Luckily 5% doesnt change mine. But 10 and up sure reduce the amount of LL you can get. I have to put it on my bows. I wondered why I couldn't get the max LL on them. Thanks

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, Life Leech is fairly weak. It used to act just like Curse Weapon back in the day when it procced (which was 100% with Breath of the Dead), but they've nerfed it a couple times since. It's something you add if you can't think of anything better to add on your wep.
Don't forget that there are certain Bosses (Exodus, Osiredon, Corgul, Necro Blackthorn's Captain, Sampire Blackthorn's Captain) that have Corrupted Life, and so Life Leech will then damage you instead of healing you against them.

TheWolf

Adventurer
In the absence of Vampiric Embrace.

• Is life leach worth it on a one-handed weapon?
  • Is life leach worth it on a one-handed weapon in conjunction with SSI?
  • Are there even definitive answers to these questions or is it all about preference and context?

-John's player
It's not really about 1h or 2h weapon. It's about the base swing speed and base damage of the weapon. Like king greg pointed out, its best to avoid SSI on weapons. That is if your goal is to not run necro VE, and rely on the life leach from weapon.

Personally I rarely run necro on a template. I rely only on life leach from weapon, but I also have bard buffs on me most of the time. I typically use double axes with no SSI on weapon. I am always at swing speed cap though.

As far as definitive answers, no. But I can tell you this works on everything I have fought. And I believe I have fought everything except roof encounter. I can tell you this would most likely not yield you good success at roof, or if you use any weapon with a base speed lower than 3.25. The reason for not working on roof, there are a few bosses that your miss chance will be to great on, to rely on only life leach. Anything else you can consistently hit, you should have no issue staying alive, assuming you are doing 150+ dmg per hit, and not taking more damage than that :D