• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question of the day: 26 May 2008

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happy Memorial Day for those of you that live in the states. I do hope all of you got or will enjoy a holiday picnic with family and friends. Now for the question of the day.

Draconi made reference at one time that Factions will be involved in the present storyline. Will you be joining any of the factions groups to take part in this part of the storyline or will you skip this part of the event? How many of you are looking forward to see how they will work Factions and the PVP into the event? Or do want to avoid the factions because only members of your own factions can heal and ress you? What changes would you like to see to factions that make it more interesting for you to join?

Better yet should I stop with my daily questions or do you like seeing what people on our shard thinks about things?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll answer the second question first. Don't stop the questions. I enjoy reading the questions and answers. It helps me get to know a few members of my community better.

Now the first series of questions:
No, I will not join factions. I do want to see how they'll work factions, but the penalties involved with factions isn't worth the rewards in my book. I like having friends who can heal me. I like having strangers who can heal me. It's a good way to make new friends. I don't have time to wait until my skills return before I start playing again every time I die (and trust me, I would die a lot). I'm not opposed to the faction system in general, but I wouldn't go out and join myself unless I had more time to play.

B

Blackrock Frank

Val, your questions remind me of the old breakfast threads. You keep posting them.

I've never been interested in PvP at all. The main reason is that I've been playing so long that I remember when there was no Trammel, just one land. I wanted to role-play a bard who was good with woodcraft and had a little bit of magery. I was thinking about someone at peace with nature who lived off the land, made wooden toys for the kiddies, and played his drum for some spare change.

I started my first character, Franklin, and went out into the world to chop wood to practice my carpentry. It seemed like every single time I got out of a guard zone, someone red would kill me. I wasn't bothering them, trying to attack, etc. Just chopping wood. They'd take whatever I had on me, throw the wood on the ground, and call me names like newb (which I was). The thing was, of course, that I wasn't trying to fight them, just chop some freaking wood. :p

I might have a couple characters who will end up in a faction, depending on what they come up with, but I've never designed a character thinking, hey, I'm gonna make me a murderer. It's just not my style! I think they need to explain factions a whole lot better and give a good reason for "bribing" non-pvpers into it.

If anyone is interested, you can read some about factions on the UO website. http://guide.uo.com/factions_0.html

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Vallend, like the others said, keep posting! Even if I can't get in game, it's fun reading others' replies and thinking about the various answers.

As for factions, I have to honestly say, I just don't know but I would highly doubt it. However, like they say, never say never. I stink at pvp, always have. I die LOTS. I do have a couple of warrior girls that I could, in theory, put in a faction but I'm not very good at playing them.

Also, I just don't know that I'm interested in the mentality that I'm afraid this will result in. There's enough of that as it is and I just don't have the energy anymore for it.

I'm also not real thrilled with the thought of not having anyone be able to rez me (see "die LOTS" above) other than those in faction with me or a shrine. Even disregarding the whole stat loss issue, this is a biggie for me. I get frustrated when I can't rez someone in factions so I can only imagine how frustrated I'd get if I were on the other end of that scenario.

I guess it will all depend on what they do with factions and what the GOALS are. If it winds up as just another form of bashing each other's brains in and smack talking, I'll give it a pass. If it winds up as something else, I'll definitely take a look at it.

B

BartofCats

i may have a character in the factions.. but i will take the wait and see approach a-la vallend there. I dont think it will be nescessary, but then again who knows?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep the daily questions going Val...nice to see one of our trusty reporters is hard at work!

Heck two of them haven't even made roll call yet..... you notice it is the two that had columns stickied at the top of the Forum that are too busy to even make a roll call so we know they are still alive!

hehehe

*goes back to stirring the pot*

TW

Mish o sha

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions time will tell
Daily question,well thats a great way to share info from all these great players.
So keep it up

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi made reference at one time that Factions will be involved in the present storyline. Will you be joining any of the factions groups to take part in this part of the storyline or will you skip this part of the event? How many of you are looking forward to see how they will work Factions and the PVP into the event? Or do want to avoid the factions because only members of your own factions can heal and ress you? What changes would you like to see to factions that make it more interesting for you to join?

Better yet should I stop with my daily questions or do you like seeing what people on our shard thinks about things?
I don't think I will be joining factions with my crew. We have LOADS of fun with guild war PVP. Unlike faction PVP, we respect our enemy, we have a storyline and roleplaying context to our guild wars, and everything has more the character of an event, instead of mindless slaying.

Not being able to be resurrected by others is one major drawback, to my opinion. I also don't like the temporary stat loss. If I'm online for 3 hours, I don't want to spend 1 hour waiting for my stats to recover, just because I died twice.

And yes, continue with your questions!

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have characters I use strictly for pvm, not guilded anywhere that I may join a faction with. I however won't be joining with a main character, the guilds I belong to are not faction guilds.