• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question of the day: 12 June 2008

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills use to be known as a Role Players shard with many different communities on it. I have noticed through many of your posts, talking to players in game and wandering the shard that a good portion of those players have been leaving as of lately. This saddens me greatly as I hate to see anyone leave Catskills for a new place to call home. So I was wondering why are you, or have you, left the shard?

My question today is: If you are/were a role player why did or are you planning to leave the Catskills shard? What could of the Dev team done to support the Role Players more? What would make many of you come back?

For those of you who never really interact with the role players they have their own story lines that they run and many are very interesting to say the least. They build their own cities and kingdoms in game and use to have thriving areas that they called their own. Use to be these were some of the best places to visit because there was always something going on day and night in the places they gather. If you have never been inside a RP player ran tavern on its busy night you have missed one of the best things about this game.

You should of visited Kinship tavern, Galehaven or Knights Rest in their prime. You would of seen a Vampire chatting to a druid about a war and how fine the blood wine at this tavern. You might also seen a drunken pirate stumble in and challenge every man inside to a duel, or a orc come in and demand Tribute only to be chased out by a serving wench talking in a Irish brogue. I was always entertained when I visited these places and made to chuckle to myself and I for one hate to see them slowly going away.

Mish o sha

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I dont Rp,But IMO i think when they lost the seer program, that pretty much started a downward trend,mind you thats the way i saw it:pint:

D

Des

My leaving was never about the devs and UO itself. You can rp anywhere if you want to.

A

AxeMaster

There just doesn't seem to be enough people on anymore. I would sometimes go to Skara and jump in the RP scene and have some fun. It just seems a lot of the rpers are gone or in a place I don't know about lol.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I try to rp as much as possible. With a light-heartedness to how I conduct myself though. For a while there was a guild that was handling themselves like a band of orcs...I actually considered joining them. Does anyone know if they are still around? And the Kinship Villiage was, in my opion the rulers of rp... I mean...they had their own villiage.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still RP, and still do so on Catskills.

I just wish I had more time...

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pitr the thread necromancer....

However, this thread is actually relevant to this week's topic so I won't smote you with a fish...this time!

You know what my biggest problem with thread necromancy is? Being reminded of all the good players we've lost when we look back through the posts...

B

Beleg Megil

And even though its a necro'ed thread, there is one answer that people often forget about Catskills.

We're old.

The game came out in '97. Most of what people consider the "great rp guilds" were in full swing by '98. They were mostly lead by and made up of players in their late teens to mid 20s. Now, we are all grown u...well...Old...and have spouses and kids and careers and real life stuff that comes first.

Also, times have changed. UO doesn't get advertising anymore. No magazine or TV ads like WoW. No presence on store shelves. The new players we get, we have to recruit ourselves, or hope someone stumbles on the UO site by accident. Us old timers can't pass the torch if nobody is there to take it.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beleg is correct. We are simply all growing old. Much of the tiime we used to devote to the game is now spent tending our famlies, or rubbing Ben-Gay into the many aches and pains we are now getting doing simple hosehold chores.

Roleplay on Catskills will never truely die. Oh from time to time we will see lags in activity. And many of those we recall fondly will only live again in necro threads. But the rich history that drew many of us to take our first steps into the world of RP willl always be there.

I have in some ways left Sosaria. But Sosaria will not seem to leave me. I have traveled to Paragon City and learned to take flight, I have been a druid and a Night Elf. And I have trod the path of the Fellowship in Middle Earth. But in the back of my mind, and I think this is so for many of us, I am always called home to Sosaria, and my homes in the Aegis.

As long as one of us remembers, roleplay on Catskills will never die.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do we revive the RP Community?
My answer as to why I'm not around roleplaying as much as I used to is the same: not enough time.
Find a way to add more free time to the week, and you'll see many more RPers, I'm sure.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Us old timers can't pass the torch if nobody is there to take it.
This. I often said, what UO lacks of most are new players. The way the game has been developed during the past years only favors veteran players. This is one of the biggest problems of UO.

However, I think the original poster was refering more to the downswing in the RP community during the past months. I have no idea what caused this. I think it is only temporary, though.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happens every summer really. And in the fall and winter folks return. But yeah, it would be nice if more returned.