• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

question about veterinary

T

Thrandul

Greetings,
I just recently returned to UO, after a pause since 2006 and got question about veterinary.

Is the Veterinary Calculator from PRC still uptodate ?

I always ran with 90 vet on my tamer(peace or disco) and now there is imbueing, so its easy to make ring/bracelet and get it to 115. The question is it that needed for champs, peerless,.. considering you have a good greater dragon rating over 3.5 with good resists.

How much vet are you running on your tamers right now ?

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run vet maxed out, but only for the extra stable slots.
as per what they said over gm vet is only needed for more room in the barn/stables. There really is no need for higher lvls of vet skill, unless the dev's have plans to change this.:thumbsup:

P

pgib

Veterinary is totally useless. If you need to use bandages to heal your pet then the monster you're fighting against has area-damage so you can't stand near your pet to use bandages.

Otherwise the monster is so weak that there is no need to use veterinary at all.

At that point it's better to go with magery: with fc/fcr you can spam heal fast enough to keep your friend alive against most if not all solo-able mobs.

In the end, you waste 120 skill points for more stable slots.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have vet on all my tamers, 100 minimum so they can rez a pet. 110 is handy if you have room for it. If you only plan on doing the greater dragon thing vs peerless etc, then you may want to soulstone vet off and have magery/med for heals instead, but a skilled veterinarian is still perfectly viable in UO. I don't often need meditation on my tamers so it makes more sense to use vet and occasionally support with heals.

If in doubt, you can always test things out on test center or with soulstones.

P

pgib

Veterinary is totally useless. If you need to use bandages to heal your pet then the monster you're fighting against has area-damage so you can't stand near your pet to use bandages.
I have to correct myself. Last night i soloed (first time) Rikktor. Had to, I worked through the spawn waiting for someone to pass by but noone did (these are lonely times :D).

Rikktor does area damage, huge damage, but it does so in a very predictable way - weird noise repeated for 4 seconds then boom.

So you can actually use vet - bandages + greater heal macro - you just have to step aside in time.

Painful experience anyway: two hour and a half of vetting the Greater Dragon, run, vet, run, vet...

Maybe the same works for Semidar.

Also vet is usable if you solo the Dark Father (at least the last time i did it, five years ago more or less). I have never tried a peerless, can't make my way through the spawn.

Anyway if the population of sosaria stays as it is, we need far more powerful pets than the greater dragon.

I feel old remembering the time when a tamer with a "regular" Dragon had no challenges but Balrons and Ancient Wyrms.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find with area effect critters, you can certainly step into vet range, throw on a bandie and step back. That's how I've always done it tbh, I just ensure my tamer has max resist armor on, then it's usually pretty safe when one does hit me. With the worst area effect mobs I cast heals till my mana's out (no med lol) then I do the step in thing to vet and once the mob is nearly dead I often just stand by my pet and vet normally. If it'll be dead before me, I don't mind healing up afterwards :D

If you're worried about area effect killing you, I'd max out HP regen, get your HP as high as you can with a bless on top and you really shouldn't have trouble.

Wenchy