• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

question about the masteries

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back after 4 years and am a bit confused about the new masteries.

I read about them in the wiki and such but I'm not sure I got it right. So here is what I understood :

There is an NPC in the valley of Eodon that will give you a quest, defeat a peerless or champion of his choice and when that's done you get a book of masteries.
But you cannot in fact use anything in it even if you have the required skill level (90).

For that you need to find a primer for the skill you're interested in and read it. Those primers drop like the Powerscrolls by defeating a champion or can be bought from another player.

But the bards still get access to the book of masteries the old way (quest from NPC in Brit) and can immediately use the relevant spells without needing to read a primer and defeat the champion.

First, am I correct in my understanding ?

Secondly if I am does that mean that my peace/tamer that has her book of masteries can just find a taming primer, read it and then she can use the taming masteries from her book ?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I came back after 4 years and am a bit confused about the new masteries.

I read about them in the wiki and such but I'm not sure I got it right. So here is what I understood :

There is an NPC in the valley of Eodon that will give you a quest, defeat a peerless or champion of his choice and when that's done you get a book of masteries.
But you cannot in fact use anything in it even if you have the required skill level (90).

For that you need to find a primer for the skill you're interested in and read it. Those primers drop like the Powerscrolls by defeating a champion or can be bought from another player.

But the bards still get access to the book of masteries the old way (quest from NPC in Brit) and can immediately use the relevant spells without needing to read a primer and defeat the champion.

First, am I correct in my understanding ?

Secondly if I am does that mean that my peace/tamer that has her book of masteries can just find a taming primer, read it and then she can use the taming masteries from her book ?

Based on the way I am reading it - everything you have said is correct.

However, consider that you can only have one mastery active at any given time. So if you are using the peacemaking mastery songs, you cannot use the animal taming mastery simultaneously. If you switch between masteries, there is a timer before you can switch again. So it's also not like you can go back and forth again and again and again. Also regarding your example in particular, the animal taming level 3 primers are probably amongst the most expensive and sought after primers.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Based on the way I am reading it - everything you have said is correct.

However, consider that you can only have one mastery active at any given time. So if you are using the peacemaking mastery songs, you cannot use the animal taming mastery simultaneously. If you switch between masteries, there is a timer before you can switch again. So it's also not like you can go back and forth again and again and again. Also regarding your example in particular, the animal taming level 3 primers are probably amongst the most expensive and sought after primers.
Ok thanks, glad I got it right :)
I knew about the timber between masteries, I didn't mention it because what I was wondering most was how to obtain the new masteries ? So now I have the good news no need to do the quest from the NPC in Eodon I can just use my bardic book :D
Also cheap is relative :p

So I read the taming primer, could switch from peace to taming masteries : Great !... except I cannot sustain the combat ones for long, not long at all, heck not even the time it takes my GD to kill a balron :(
So sure my tamer is a bard/tamer, she has magery 100 but it's just for gates recall heal etc, I have a decent amount of mana 137 but just 10/10 MR/LMC. Still shouldn't I be able to sustain them for longer ? Am I doing something wrong ?

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The higher your taming and lore (real skill) are the less mana it takes to maintain the mastery. That being said, 137 Mana and only 10/10 MR/LMC won't cut it, unless you have 120 Med to go with it and even then it will be a struggle. There are a lot of nice mage pieces from loot these days with MR3 or MR4 on them with LMC and high resists on them so it shouldn't be too hard to put a new suit together. If you're using jewelry for taming and/or lore you will still have a problem though.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A couple other notes:

The bard can repeat the bard quest and get a new book each time. This means you can get books with the bard and hand them off to your other characters.

You can now gain the animal taming skill by using the mastery. Every time you activate any of the taming mastery it will do a skill check. In essence you can train taming the same way you train magery. Highly recommend getting your taming up and putting non-mastery type skills (magery/med) on jewelry or suit pieces.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Getting an outrageous mage suit is fairly easy.

My current magery/mysticism suit is

70/70/68/70/70 even with protection active; 75/75/75/75/75 with Stone form.
3/7 FC/FCR before Protection
110% LRC
40%+ LMC
70% SDI total
20 Mana Regen (or maybe 22)
max (+25) INT
another +18 Mana Increase
Several points of HP & Stam regen/increase
11% total Casting Focus
Only about 350 Luck (plus I use a luck statue, on my 13 year old account)
+15 in Mysticism (to keep from wasting 20 points of stat on on human, I have 105 real Mysticism and my remaining 35 points are in Med)

Skills (with the +15 ring) are
Magery 120
Mysticism 120 (105+15)
Fishing/Resist Spells 120 (depending on my plans for the day)
Focus 120
Eval Int 120
Inscription 100
Meditation 35

And, the neck slot is a pendant of the Magi, which means those resists are with a 0-resist neck.

And, NONE of the pieces are using the current loot system. It's a mix of ToT items, ML drops/craftables, HS leggings that are loot from SOS, other major & minor artifacts (including an Orny), and a couple of imbued Items from before reforging or the change to the loot system.

It could get even more obscene if I ever come across better Artifact items that I know DO drop, that could replace a couple of the items or the imbued stuff.

Edit: And what do you know, but the Kotl event comes through. Add one of the rings and the crafted glasses, reforge new pants, and switch boots, and...
I lost 3 FCR, 70 luck and 4 MI, but am now 25 Mana regen, and 50 Med (with Mysticism now just 100 real). Everything else is functionally the same (though less overcapped on LRC, and now 25% overcapped on LMC -shame I can't use it all).

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Getting an outrageous mage suit is fairly easy.

My current magery/mysticism suit is

70/70/68/70/70 even with protection active; 75/75/75/75/75 with Stone form.
3/7 FC/FCR before Protection
110% LRC
40%+ LMC
70% SDI total
20 Mana Regen (or maybe 22)
max (+25) INT
another +18 Mana Increase
Several points of HP & Stam regen/increase
11% total Casting Focus
Only about 350 Luck (plus I use a luck statue, on my 13 year old account)
+15 in Mysticism (to keep from wasting 20 points of stat on on human, I have 105 real Mysticism and my remaining 35 points are in Med)

Skills (with the +15 ring) are
Magery 120
Mysticism 120 (105+15)
Fishing/Resist Spells 120 (depending on my plans for the day)
Focus 120
Eval Int 120
Inscription 100
Meditation 35

And, the neck slot is a pendant of the Magi, which means those resists are with a 0-resist neck.

And, NONE of the pieces are using the current loot system. It's a mix of ToT items, ML drops/craftables, HS leggings that are loot from SOS, other major & minor artifacts (including an Orny), and a couple of imbued Items from before reforging or the change to the loot system.

It could get even more obscene if I ever come across better Artifact items that I know DO drop, that could replace a couple of the items or the imbued stuff.
Yup.

My necro/mage/weaver suit stats:

86/80/74/70/74 resists (all 70's even in protection)
120 LRC
60 LMC
46 Mana
34 Intel
15 hit points
5 stam
8 casting focus
2/9 casting
114 spell damage increase
8 hit point regen
31 mana regen
3 stam regen
12 fire eater
12 damage eater
30 soul charge

For time sensitive spellweaving casting I can swap out my 30 SDI invasion spellbook for a scrappers and get 3/8 casting and 109 SDI.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May bee im too late but ill post this about masteries:
1) Buy the masterie book (5-30k depends on shard) or get it by your Bard - 5 mins per book (Peace is simplest way).
2) Get the mastrery Primer from killing Champion (6 from cham+3-4 from protection) or buy it (use search). Prices are depends GREATLY on mastery (and shard too).
Primers are Shard bound. Primers drops on tramel champs too.
3) Not every mastery are nice but you can get some bonuses from passive mastery (15 mana from 3 lvl Chiv or bush, or Disarm protect from war skills).
4) Only real skills are counts on mastery effect, soo if mastery depends on some skill - you need 120 real skill.
5) If you plan to use some mastery you need 3 lvl . Lvl 1&2 can bee found near trash can in luna bank cause they are not bindable.

Last edited: