• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about Bannisters

S

Sabbath

Hi all - I just stopped over at the "Restful Slumber Inn" on the southern tip of Nujel'm and noticed that the developers used "bannisters" along the stairways. It's quite beautiful and I would love to do that in my house.

I know that in the past, even though the bannister artwork is in the house builder options, I have never been able to place one nor do I recall ever seeing it used in a player built home.

So, was this something that worked many moons ago and is lost to us forever or did I just not have the patience to get them to place right?

Here is a pic of the Nujel'm Inn for reference:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The have never worked on stairs, and *wow* did they screw up the perspective on those south side bannisters. Anyways I have very rarely seen people use the bannisters in the customize menu, there is not much you can do with them. Maybe I'll mess around with them and post some screenshots of ideas for the poor, under used bannisters? :p

F

feath

I use bannisters frequently, but i don't think of them as bannisters...i think of them as fences. The thing i don't like about them, is they seem to use up more space then they should. The square next to them becomes unusable, with items or walking by. this makes it difficult to use at the opening of stairs.
one good thing about them, is you can stack on top of them.

my last design uses them on the second floor.

sorry about the size of this pic - i can't remember how to resize photos using the type of code this forum uses.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the OP was referring to the extremely slanted bannisters that do not work as 'fences' or rails, but are meant to go along staircases.

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah.

I use the bannisters around my staircases because they have ones that sit on two different tiles. They allow a walkable square on the west side of them if you use the right ones, which no other wall/fence tile can do. That makes them good for one-width illusion bridges and such, where otherwise you'd have to make a two-tile bridge or use no walls in order to allow walking across it.

I have tried the slanted ones on stairs but it seems they only work on the first step - you can't put them up higher (I assume they could be made to work like roofing tiles, and/or that was what was intended...). Just one more missing piece in the housing tiles puzzle. :sigh: