• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Q&A with the King

Neves

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

During an upcoming August 26, 10 AM PST (1 PM EST) LIVE broadcast on our sister community, TGN, Lord British will be answering questions from readers like you about...well...anything at all!

According to TGN Pulse Host Daniel:

"Richard was very adamant that he was willing to answer ANY question at all...all kinds of questions, whether about Portalarium or Ultima, or even his favorite flavor of taffy! We'll gather all of the questions and pick some of the best ones to feature on the live interview! Hopefully we'll get some great questions!"

We're holding you to it, LB!

If you have a question you'd like to ask Lord British, here's your chance! Just reply to this thread and maybe you'll hear back from the king himself during this LIVE special event airing Sunday, August 26, 2012 at 10 AM PST (1 PM EST) on TGN!

BROADCAST LINK: TGN Family • Welcome Home! - YouTube

Last edited:
B

Bad Karma

I have few questions regarding URPG:

1. Will Lord British take a part in this experience with us, players just like in early UO? Walk around LB's castle, talk to players from time to time, run some events et cetera?

2. Will players be able to use teleportation methods in order to travel around the wold such as Recall or Gate Travel spells or will we be able to use more complicated/interesting ways to travel (caravans, ships routes/pirates, horses etc.).

3. Will there be two major rival philosophy branches such as Order and Chaos which players could join, aside from virtues and other ethics?

4. Will there be any other races like in first Ultima games (Elves, Bobbits, Dwarves)?

Thanks.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will there be multiple apps in the app store fore the game for certain aspects of the game to make them less lite?
ie: U:RPG cooking U:RPG blacksmith or will it all be one?

Vanpry

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will U:RPG be skill based (yes please) or class based?

Will there be item destruction? IMHO you can't have a decent economy without item destruction.

Will the economy be player based or drop based?

If resource gathering and crafting doesn't go the app route (which I think it should be app based) will resource gathering be node based (hope not) or the brilliance that was UO's gathering and will there be a much wider variety in resource material for crafting?

Please tell me you are thinking beyond the holy trinity?!? PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!

H

H3atmiser

(URPG) How personal is the economy interaction going to be? Are there going to be auction houses, where players have an impersonal yet convenient means of selling their product, or are players going to have to walk the streets and advertise their goods for sale?

(URPG) Is there going to be a "world chat", or will socializing function more akin to Ultima Online, where the only means of communication between players was in a strict, local on-screen manner?

(URPG) Will there be any sort of "fast travel" spells like Recall or Moongate in Ultima Online? If so, will such access be entirely unrestricted (you may mark and recall to anywhere in the world) or will there be limitations?

(UO) Did you ever take the time to create a character and walk amongst the denizens of Britannia as a normal player? If so, do you have a particular "fondest moment" of doing so?

R

Red

Will the mobile apps be a different way to play URPG, or will the mobile apps be different games linked to URPG in various manners?

L

Lord_Toast

What type of setting is the Ultimate RPG? Fantasy, sci-fi, or steampunk...etc
If it is fantasy setting, will there be other races or will it be 'Humancentric'?

The UT Videogame Archive, box 2007-032/1, contains the proposal for the Pen n Paper version of Ultima. Any plans on making a ‘Ultimate RPG’ PnP game for Print of Demand?
What are the plans for a Ultimate RPG cloth map?
(I know the Head Conceptual Designer for a Dallas based company, they could help you make a cloth map or other special items…*wink,wink,nudge,nudge*)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

H3atmiser

(URPG) How do you plan on handling inventory management? Will it feature a slot-based system, or will it perhaps feature a drag-and-drop system like in Ultima Online?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
will u spoil it by introducing ingame moderators that will and indeed do talk/take sides with guilds etc....clicky clubs ..... and dish out silly named /crazy hued / blingy unique items that will again ruin a games economy that was not broken..........[end][

Last edited:

senescal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
How do you feel about the information leaked about the new game that is using Ultima's name? The action RPG with "Lady British" that asks players to show compassion to criminals by using a sword.

Are you planning on, once again, creating an entire culture for New Britannia's world? A language/alphabet such as Logos?

I want to work with you! Any chance of doing so? Any chance of doing so while living overseas?

L

Lord_Toast

How do you feel about the information leaked about the new game that is using Ultima's name? The action RPG with "Lady British" that asks players to show compassion to criminals by using a sword.

Are you planning on, once again, creating an entire culture for New Britannia's world? A language/alphabet such as Logos?

I want to work with you! Any chance of doing so? Any chance of doing so while living overseas?

What rights did you retain from EA besides “Lord British” e.g Are the Virtues still “The Virtues” or called something else?

King_Fisher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Will you still allow thieves (like myself) to steal in a PvP form, like in the old days of UO?

2) Are there going to be character classes or a skills list?

3) When is the Beta Testing starting and can I join?

4) When can we get a teaser of the game art and a Map of the world?

Looking forward to watching this interview.

K

Krythorian

1)Will we be able to sign up for beta and when if so?

2) I strongly hope that the game will be skill based and not class based, please tell us how it will be.

3)Will there be spiders? I hate spider ;_;

EDIT: 4) how big will the map be approx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question is simple, and may be best answered with a simple in-game screenshot:

What is the graphical style going to be? Is it going to be colorful and cartoony as we see in most Facebook games? Or is going to at least attempt a realistic style like UO did in it's time? I see that picture of the face (The Guardian?), and it makes me think it's not going to be designed in a style that will appeal to hardcore games as much as it will people who play casual social games.

Last edited:

Neves

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have a question based on my being a huge stickler for good storylines in games: Are you working on new lore?

Last edited:

senescal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
From some of those answers it seems the whole development process is a bit more advanced than what I thought. Very nice.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Me, too, actually. It sounds much bigger than I'd anticipated.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Syrus. I just wanted to say that the interview with Richard was awesome. I didn't know about it until yesterday and the 2 hours gave me a good excuse to paint my nails.
:cool:
You did a great job with the questions from the Stratics community. I was bummed that I hadn't read Stratics in a while and didn't know about the question gathering.

I am wondering where is the appropriate place to ask followup questions that came to mine as I watched the interview. I wanted to be able to say a few things to Mr. Garriott:
  • THANK YOU FOR THE PROMISE OF THE CLOTH MAP! Oh how I cherish my cloth maps. Even as a 50+ year old, I still tack them on my home office wall much to the dismay of my husband who thinks I'm a bit childish (and perhaps loves me for that).
  • THANK YOU FOR THE ULTIMAS! Because my ex (and now deceased) husband played Ultima VII, I was a late bloomer starting my gaming passion in my mid 30s. The aforementioned husband built me a computer capable of playing U VII and I did for every waking non-working moment for 6 months when I actually finished a game (one of only 2 in my life). That started my life long love of playing games.
  • Have you considered naming the game Ultima Revisited? Keep working on the name please. Ultimate RPG doesn't sound grandious enough for one of your games.
  • You mentioned that the game is being designed for a tablet first. Does this mean I need to buy a tablet to enjoy it to the max or can I use my desktop (I'm a diehard desktop gamer).
  • If you ever need an administrative assistant not willing to relocate or a tour guide in Las Vegas, give me a yell. :)
Safe travels!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm sure he or David will visit and see your remarks. We'll probably have another interview, too. :)