• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PVM/ PVP Mage/Archer template

K

Klabauterman

Hi,

im looking for some help on my new mage/archer template. He will mainly PVM but should also be able to survive (and perhaps even win :D) a PVP encounter.

Now I have 2 templates in mind:

eighter:

120 magery
120 eval int
120 archery
120 tactics
100 meditation (+20 when i reach 720 cap)
120 resisting spells

or

110 Archery (+10)
90 Tactics
90 Healing
80 Anatomy
110 Magery
80 Eval. Int.
50 Meditation
90 Resist (+10)

The first one is probably more towards pvp and of course a lot more expensive. I guess it's a very solid template.

The second one is more PVM and is trying to be a bit of everything. It's full of compromises and excells nowhere, though i must say I'm more curious
about this one. I personally like the oppotunity to heal with bandages so i can keep firing at creeps while healing up. Eval int is a bit low as well as meditation but as long as I don't decrease resisting spells I have no room to maneuver.

Would lowering reisting spells be an option? At which level does it start to get useless?

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

-Klabautermann

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Why magery over chivalry? The spellchannelling property is going to limit your bow choices - balanced + spellchannelling will limit your choice even further.

C

Capt.E

They look like good temps on paper, I would build the suit before you build the character. You want dci, hci, lrc, lmc, fc/fcr, and di. That's a tall order for a suit. While the possibilities are there(especially with custom jewels), it is going to be a tough suit to put together to say the least. If you want spellcasting you may want to consider necro, because you do not need spellchanneling weapons and the more mods you can fit onto the weapon the easier your suit build will be. With the exception of strangle and revenant most necro spells are relativly low in the mana cost department. Which brings us to the next point. What about stats? You may be able to hit swing cap with a magic shortbow, 80 dex and 40 ssi. With low dex like that(80), any weapon you choose will need to be 40 ssi. Which further constrains your ability to equip your toon. It is possible to do, you may want to consider putting bushi on the temp for lightining strike(55 hci for pvp), and honor for pvm. Good luck, it's always good to experiment with different temps, the struggle is learning what equipment you need for your playstyle.

K

Klabauterman

I don't know too much about chivalry since I am just returing to UO after a long absence but it looks like a completely different setup. Chivalry doesnt look very flexible. Healing capabilites are limited, limited direct damage spells. Most of the more useful looking spells are actually increasing the archery damage.

Magery of course has a lot of offensive spells together with a wide range of options. It will limit my choice of weapons that's true but I am also gaining a lot of offensive power through spells.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had posted a template a while back that was a fun archer/mage that could go as a dexer or as a mage depending on what the intelligence and stamina was at.

Mage 115
eval 120
med 55
arch 120
tact 90
anat 100
resist 120

(The only necessary 120s would be Arch and Resist. If you have 120 mage just drop med by 5 and put into magery. If you don't have 120 eval, drop it to 15 but remember to increase anatomy so that between Eval/Anat you have 220 skill points.)

The really nice thing about this template is it has Anatomy. That significantly boosts your dmg per shot, but it also gives you the unique ability to still be tough to hit when disarmed. (Eval+anat+20) / 2 = Defensive Wrestling ability. This means that if you are disarmed you can still heal yourself, or continue on offense and start casting spells until you can get your bow up. It's also nice because you can wear the quiver of blight (50/50 psn/cold dmg types) and curse people to get their resists down to 60, thus increasing your DPS on your archery shots.

This means you can carry around sick bows that don't have spell channeling. If you cast sure it disarms but you're still fine because you are equivalent to 120 wrestle. I used to carry spell channeling bows and non SC bows.

If you feel like being an offense heavy archer today, jack your dex up as high as you can while keeping enough mana for heals. Tomorrow you want to be a mage? Crank your int up and exp/fs someone with a mortal afterwards.

It's a very fun, diverse template. It's very efficient in the field with group fighting because of the dismounts/mortal/cross healing abilities.

N

NickyDishes

ya i havent seen anybody play that temp on my shard...but my buddy plays a necro archer and hes just devastating....couple spells that require regs and a weapon skill and u run into problems i figured out(i just carry regs).....i imagine if u could put together a good suit for it u might dominate if u use lynks recomendation