• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PVM Mage templates.....

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im looking for a godlike pvm template that revolves around 120 in mage med eval and resist. what other good support skills would let me near solo champs and peerless?

G

GFY

Mages really can't solo peerless. You could do well with a couple of friends but solo... not gonna happen.

A very popular template for peerless that does a ton of damage is a Spellweaver Mage. This template can do a ton of damage once the peerless gets low on health, making you one of the top damage dealers in the party.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Meditation 120
Resist 120
Wrestling 120
Spellweaving 120

One of the most popular templates for champs that could solo a Barracoon champ would have to be a Necro Mage.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Meditation 120
Resist 120
Necromancy 120
Spirit Speak 120

Carry a Repond Slayer spell book and spam wither and or chain lightning and the monsters shouldn't give you too much trouble. You may have to watch out for raiders if your on a shard with a high population.

J

Jaimes

AFAIK, slayer spell books don't affect area effect damage spells, only direct damage. So the Repond Slayer spell book is pretty useless until you get to Barracoon and you're just doing damage against him.

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thank you for the help. luckily with soulstones ill be able to try out both templates i keep forgetting about wither spell tho. ill have to really try that necro mage template.

G

GFY

AFAIK, slayer spell books don't affect area effect damage spells, only direct damage. So the Repond Slayer spell book is pretty useless until you get to Barracoon and you're just doing damage against him.
I use the slayer book to cast chain lightning and metior swarn. Yes, they both do more damage with a slayer.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As GFY said, the slayer books do work with chain lightning and meteor swarm. They don't work with earthquake, mind blast or any non mage spell.

Templates:
There are none that work better than a warrior or tamer against peerless or champs, but here are a few options:
mage, eval, meditation, taming, lore, vet. Yes, it's a mage tamer, but if you want to solo play really big things, there isn't much better.

110 magery, 120 eval, 100 resist, 100 spellweaving, 105 necromancy, 100 spirit speak, 85 meditation. This template lets you have all the advantages of necromancy and spellweaving with the only disadvantage being that you fail casting high level spells about half the time, specifically word of death and energy vortex. If you use skill gain items, you can increase weaving and/or magery to 120.

I use the wrestle/weaving mage mentioned above and the necro/mage mentioned above, and both are great in teams, but against bosses they aren't good at killing with my style. They don't die, but I have a problem doing damage quickly enough that I'll try soloing anything with a mage.

Another one for champs:
100 music, 100 peacemaking, 105 necromancy, 120 spirit speak, 120 eval, 120 magery, 55 meditation. This template works only on Champ spawns and Doom, but is nearly unkillable up to the champ itself. The trick is to spam area peace while picking your targets. Or wither-peace-wait-wither-peace.

G

GFY

Very good info Farsight!

If your heart is set on a mage that can stay alive at a champspawn or peerless even if your in a small group here's something I came up with entirely by accident.

I was moving some spells around with soul stones and a frined asked me to come and do a peerless. I wanted to take a mage but my mage was a bit messed up from the soul stones. I said WTF and went out anyway.

Magery 110
Eval 110
Med 100
Resist 100
Wrestle 100
Hiding 100
Stealth 80

My stratagy was to drop ev's and hide or invis and stealth around. It worked out so well at Blighted Grove that I managed to get the keys easily without dying! I managed to push everything to 115 (except hiding & stealth) with the help of a few specialized Items. This is still my favorite template for peerless and champs.

C

Connor_Graham

My PvM Mage has this template:

120 Magery (100+20 from Crystalline Ring)
100 Eval
100 Med
120 Spellweaving
120 Spirit Speak
80 Necro
100 Resist or Inscription (depending on what you're fighting)

G

GFY

My PvM Mage has this template:

120 Magery (100+20 from Crystalline Ring)
100 Eval
100 Med
120 Spellweaving
120 Spirit Speak
80 Necro
100 Resist or Inscription (depending on what you're fighting)
Wow thats not bad, I would try to find some extra eval however, the extra spell damage would really rock.

S

Salty Pete

You might laugh but this is my main character who has been to the hardest spawns in the game and walked away without death robes and still did enough damage to get significant looting rights....

100 Begging
100 Fishing
100 Magery
100 Eval
100 Med
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
35 Ninja (I am thining about changing this to something else at some point)

110 Str
10 Dex
125 Int

Equipped items 100 LRC 40 LMC suit with 50 resists
Scrappers + SDI Jewels giving 35ish SDI

S

Starla

One of my mage template,

1. 120 Mage, 120 Eval, 120 Med, 120 Resist, 120 SW, 100 Scribe, 20 Focus, using soulstones, sometimes I switch SW and Scribe for 120 Spirit speak and 120 Necro.

The spell-casting templates that I find really good in PVM are hybrid, meaning tamer-mage / tamer-bard-mage /mage-necro-tamer with high MR suit.

K

Katlene

i know i must be completly oblivious here but what does having insciption do?
Im trying to get my mage sorted out
template atm is
EI 100
focus 100
magery 120
med 110
resist 100
SW 120

Gives me 70 left to play with
(all natural)

Pretty much just PvM with this char, but im at a loss to what to do with the skills

S

Salty Pete

template atm is
EI 100
focus 100
magery 120
med 110
resist 100
SW 120

(all natural)

Pretty much just PvM with this char, but im at a loss to what to do with the skills
GM Inscription adds 10% to damage spells.

G

GFY

template atm is
EI 100
focus 100
magery 120
med 110
resist 100
SW 120

(all natural)

This isn't a bad template... but you could deal a whole lot more damage if you took EI to 120.

You could also do without focus but that's up to you. A suit with 5 mana regen would give you the same MR as 100 focus.

I was wondering what you use for your defensive skill? Do you have problems taking damage from large groups of low end monsters that surround you? If so you may want to try wrestling.

L

Lord Sturm

I am considering building a mage for pvm, mainly Doom and champ spawns.
This is the template I am considering;

mage, eval, med, spellweaving, resist spells, scribe
rest in wrestling more than likely.

Any thoughts?

p.s. Be gentle lol

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very good info Farsight!

If your heart is set on a mage that can stay alive at a champspawn or peerless even if your in a small group here's something I came up with entirely by accident.

I was moving some spells around with soul stones and a frined asked me to come and do a peerless. I wanted to take a mage but my mage was a bit messed up from the soul stones. I said WTF and went out anyway.

Magery 110
Eval 110
Med 100
Resist 100
Wrestle 100
Hiding 100
Stealth 80

My stratagy was to drop ev's and hide or invis and stealth around. It worked out so well at Blighted Grove that I managed to get the keys easily without dying! I managed to push everything to 115 (except hiding & stealth) with the help of a few specialized Items. This is still my favorite template for peerless and champs.
i have a guy that is close to this.. i call him my stealth looter... he cant do alot of big power stuff on his own but if anyone else is around he picks up the loot with no problems.. sometimes even steals it if its laying on the ground.. ;)

for peerless i just throw evs or use earth eles and throw fireballs. i always get loot rights.

Magery 100
Eval 100
Med 100
Resist 100
Ninjitsu 100
Hiding 100
Stealth 100

i havent really spent anything on him in a suit.. just lrc stuff i find. got a mage wep and use + magery items to make up for the skill loss.
im sure i can deck him out with 2/6 and 120 a few things and make him alot better..

5% Luck

I use my bard mage at champ spawns and am very close to soloing them. I am shy during lvl 2 by about 3 candels. LOl yea thats alot but once im lvl 3 and 4 I fly. provoke and ev/eq during lvl 4 is a champ up in under 5 mins. Soloing the champ is realy dependant on which one is summonsed. A coon is pretty easy buy say mephist or semidar Id say solo isn not an option.

its just that lvl 2 bump that quelched the whole theroy. Even with a max valor bup I cant seem to get past lvl 2 solo. The lvl 3&4 mobs give so much "points" per kill that a good bard shouldnt have any trouble maxing out the candels.

G

GFY

i have a guy that is close to this.. i call him my stealth looter... he cant do alot of big power stuff on his own but if anyone else is around he picks up the loot with no problems.. sometimes even steals it if its laying on the ground.. ;)

for peerless i just throw evs or use earth eles and throw fireballs. i always get loot rights.

Magery 100
Eval 100
Med 100
Resist 100
Ninjitsu 100
Hiding 100
Stealth 100

i havent really spent anything on him in a suit.. just lrc stuff i find. got a mage wep and use + magery items to make up for the skill loss.
im sure i can deck him out with 2/6 and 120 a few things and make him alot better..
This template is the fastest I've seen at getting keys for Lady Mel. I stealth around if there's too much spawn then drop ev's on the insane dryads. Their peace making doesn't effect me and if I get in a jam I cast invis and stealth away. Also by stealthing into Saliva's lair I can use the same strategy to get her as well. I usually spend longer waiting to place the keys then to actually acquire them.