• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Putting the finishes touches on my character...thoughts/suggestions?

U

ultima77

Taming: 110
Lore: 110
Vet: 100
Magery: 110
Music: 120
Disco: 120
Provo: 120

Stoned: 110 Eval, 110 Necro, 120 SS, 120 Med, 120 Peace

Suit: 35 Phy, 60+ in all over resists. 2/6, 11 MR, 100% LRC, 40% LMC.

What are the strengths/weaknesses of this template? Anything suggestions for improvement? I don't have a great deal of gold left, but I can sacrifice a few mil here and there.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can keep your item usage on the barding skills rather than taming ones, I'd say you're going to do fine. The reason I suggest that is so you always have control of pets even if you accidentally forget to swap a jewel out or aren't equiped after a res. My bard uses pets as her frontline defence and attack, so I like to know that they're under control 100%.

This is the template I ended up with:

110 Tame
110 Lore
100 Vet
110 Music (boost to 120 with the +10 music arms)
120 Disco
100 Provo (Carrying +20 jewels as she doesn't provo unless in heavy spawn, so they're a backup thing for me :))
70 Magery (she equips a +15 spellbook if necessary)

This template was MUCH easier before the advent of powerscrolls!

I don't find any real problems with this template, other than fitting it all in and having to live with the need for items. If you had the gold to buy the music tali, that might help you out, Otherwise I find my template hasn't been expensive to set up and run. I run on a basic high resist or LRC suit most of the time, or I'll use a high luck suit at other times.

Looking at the skills you've got scrolled, there's another option if you wanted to try it. I've built a mage/necro/weaver tamer recently and she seems quite a lot of fun so far:

110 Tame
110 Lore
110 Vet
105 Necro
100 SS
85 Magery
50 Weaving
50 Med

I tend to use weaving more for gift of life/renewal and summons if I'm without pets, so it isn't capped very high. Though I'm lowering it from the 80s just now so I may re-shuffle my kit if it gets unreliable as it drops :D

The above is all real skill so it could easily be shuffled around the skills you have stoned if you boosted up with items elsewhere.

I'm still perfecting my methods in hunting with this template, but she is a lot of fun so far, certainly something you might want to try if you've got most of the skills already.

Wenchy

T

Turdnugget

If you're fighting something from a distance... and have to use gheal to heal and not both gheal/vet... you're gonna run out of mana.

I haven't played a provo tamer... but the only situation I can really see provo necessary would be for soloing Doom. Not sure how well it'd work for collecting Peerless keys. Haven't done that yet.

Champion spawns for the last leg provo would be good... but that stuff can be mowed down faster with a small group, or even solo if done right.

You could drop magery down to GM, or less if using a +magery book of some sort. That wont effect much other than a few points in gheals. Typically as a PvM mage tamer you're not casting 8th level spells all that often. You can always cast chain lightning instead of earthquake.

You can drop vet to 90 and use enhanced bandages which will act like you've got 100 vet.

If your disco isn't 120 real, you could carry a set of jewels for that as well. Typically people only need to discord the final boss of whatever it is they're fighting.

Are you wearing any talisman with +skill? That could give you another +10 skill points to have free'd up.

I'd definately get your phys resist up...if you were to get hit by a cu sidhe, or hiryu or something of that nature... I can only imagine how much damage it could/would do to you in one hit. At least get it 50+. If you've got a couple mil to throw around, i'd fix your suit up w/more phys. I've got a 100% LRC 1400+ luck suit that has nearly all 60+ in all resists. Granted it doesn't have the best MR/LMC but that chr doesn't need that.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mmm, what to do with provo... well provo can be handy if folks don't cut bones around the dark fathers and all the little spawn appears... Outside Doom I use it for champs, to beat a pet up without using other pets and general crowd control.

Today I was using it with disco and taming to work the cu sidhe spawn. Disco then voke pups on each other until karma gets dodgy, if something good pops I can tame it without a stable run. And of course if you're planning on hunting in general, sometimes it's useful to have the ability to kill spawn without your pet. I've used voke to get spawn off my pets for example. It's not as good as disco by any means, but I wouldn't make a bard without it if I could.

Wenchy

T

Turdnugget

Just saying it depends what you're fighting whether or not provo is good/necessary to have. Doom yes, farming cu's (nice to have but not necessary) last leg of champ spawn... some champs yes, but can be done w/out.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolutely, as with all templates it comes down to what you're fighting and your individual playstyle :) Provo isn't essential for a tamer, but if you want a provo bard, taming is a great complimentary skill. That's how I look at it. It's just fun :D

Wenchy

U

ultima77

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I reworked my armor a little to increase Phy. My suit is now 50 Phy. and 60+ everywhere else, 97% LRC (I'll just use Arcane Boots), 40% LRM, 9 MR.

I like SW, but it'd be really hard to fit in Med to this cramped template, which would be extremely helpful for SWing.

Any other thoughts?