• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] put your thinking cap on!

F

feath

Which monsters do they drop on and what’s the drop rate?

"You will have to figure out which monsters they spawn on! But I can tell you they will spawn on 3 creatures that dwell in the Tokuno Islands, on 1 bug-type creature, on 1 creature found in Despise (among other places), on 1 swamp creature, on 1 undead, on 1 humanoid spellcaster, on 1 arachnid, on 1 karma sensitive creature in Ilshenar, on 1 a compact-sized creature and last but not least, on 1 creature that lurks in the Twisted Wealds. The drop rate is 50% chance there will be no seed, 15% chance of a fragrant seed and 35% chance of a random peculiar seed."
i'm thinking the compact size creature is a bird or a slime.
Tokuno islands, maybe the deathwatch beatles again?
swamp creature; perhaps the whipping vine, or the old boggling favorite?
the Despise creature is likely lizardmen, also fund in swamps.

what are some of your thoughts?

A

Ashyn

3 creatures that dwell in the Tokuno Islands: There is a lot to pick from there (Garman, Tsuki Wolves, Baked Katsunes.....Kappa..the priests, Fan Dancers, Ronnins....eesh, what a list to guess from).
1 bug-type creature: Death Watch Beetle
1 creature found in Despise (among other places): Elemental
1 swamp creature: Slime
1 undead: ha ha..who knows (Lich, RC, Skeleton, take your pick).
1 humanoid spellcaster: Evil Mage (Meer Mage would be second guess)
1 arachnid: Dread Spider
1 karma sensitive creature in Ilshenar: Pixies
1 compact-sized creature: Squirrel or Ferret
1 creature that lurks in the Twisted Wealds: Black Widow

F

feath

yeah, but they also said the crafter char would be able to get the seeds on most cases, so at least some of the monsters will be easy kills - if you consider a mongbat easy for a crafter with no fighting skills....

1 karma sensitive creature in Ilshenar
oh, bet you're right with pixies!

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Non-fighting crafters, if they have decent magery, could use mage weapons to kill the smaller creatures. I have a miner/crafter with no fighting skills whatsoever, and she uses a mage-weapon elemental-slaying crossbow to take down the elementals she digs up - not one death yet.

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

i hunt the seeds with my figthingchars, and if someone on europa dont have a figthing-crafter, or no figther at all, i can share my seeds with them.
i hope the public comes soon!

F

feath

i hunt the seeds with my figthingchars, and if someone on europa dont have a figthing-crafter, or no figther at all, i can share my seeds with them.
i hope the public comes soon!
yeah, i do too, thiefy. my crafter is lame, so the most she does is hide behind her anvil and wave a saw at a mongbat.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't like killing pixies, kirin or unicorns, I'm hoping they put them on the black wisps (aren't they karma sensitive also?)

F

Flora Green

I have been wondering about that as well, DevilsOwn. All of my fighters are good. Are we supposed to kill pixies, et al for the seeds?

L

Lily

I have been wondering about that as well, DevilsOwn. All of my fighters are good. Are we supposed to kill pixies, et al for the seeds?

They didn't say that one type of seed would drop on each of the creatures... they said you'd have a...

50% total chance of getting a seed
15% chance that it would be a fragrant seed (cocoa)
35% chance of getting a RANDOM peculiar seed

SO if you don't want to kill pixies or other karma-lowering critters, you will be able to get the same seeds from things that won't hurt your karma since the type of seed is RANDOM.

lily

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
kay, I'm very confused about the whole thing, then ~~ thought this part meant that a particular group of monsters would have a random chance at spawning a particular set of seeds:

Are you saying I only have 1 chance out of 16 of getting the seed I need?

"Not quite, but each time will indeed be a dice roll. There are 12 different monsters that will spawn the seeds. The plants and monsters have been divided into 4 groups: Monster Group A, B, C and D each count 3 monsters, then we have Plant Group 1 to Plant Group 4 that each contains 4 new plants. All 12 monsters will spawn fragrant seeds, but monsters of Group A will also spawn the peculiar seeds from Plant Group 1, while monsters of Group B will also spawn the peculiar seeds from Plant Group 2 and so on. So basically, when hunting monsters from Group A, you have 1 chance out of 5 of getting a specific plant from Group 1. Ditto for any Monster Group and their matching Plant Group. Note that you will never get a Group 1 seed from a Group B monster, etc."

R

RenaLynne

If worse came to worse, I'm sure these seeds will be on vendors. Happy to say I have fighters so I wont have to.;)

F

feath

kay, I'm very confused about the whole thing, then ~~ thought this part meant that a particular group of monsters would have a random chance at spawning a particular set of seeds:

Are you saying I only have 1 chance out of 16 of getting the seed I need?

"Not quite, but each time will indeed be a dice roll. There are 12 different monsters that will spawn the seeds. The plants and monsters have been divided into 4 groups: Monster Group A, B, C and D each count 3 monsters, then we have Plant Group 1 to Plant Group 4 that each contains 4 new plants. All 12 monsters will spawn fragrant seeds, but monsters of Group A will also spawn the peculiar seeds from Plant Group 1, while monsters of Group B will also spawn the peculiar seeds from Plant Group 2 and so on. So basically, when hunting monsters from Group A, you have 1 chance out of 5 of getting a specific plant from Group 1. Ditto for any Monster Group and their matching Plant Group. Note that you will never get a Group 1 seed from a Group B monster, etc."

i think she means;
monster group A
has four monsters in it.
one of which might be the pixie.
there are 3 other monsters in group A that you can still get that particular seed from, that wont have the karma impact.
then you get into the 50%/15%/30%.

C

Ceridwen

Gosh this is confusing...

Group A - 3 monsters - carry Plant Group 1 - consists of 4 different plants

is how I understood it.

And Cu sidhes are also karma sentive, or am I wrong?... same with Dryads... oh and Serpentine Dragon too, or? (so not sure, since I mainly have good karma chars)

We'll really need a sticky once they start spawning so people can post where they got a seed from and later write what grew out of that seed...

F

feath

right! sorry! 3 monsters per monster group...

each has a chance of dropping 4 seeds from that group....

oi...yes! i'm taking notes when i go hunting lol!

C

Ceridwen

I just reread this and compared it to our current FoF...

How can you have 4 Plant groups, each having 4 different plants when there are only 15 new ones?...

F

feath

this is pretty old - and we were all pretty confused lol - i think i still am, actually.

the list of monsters (12)

Twisted weald~ Dryad
Despise(among other places)~Titan
3 Tokuno ~ Kappa, Tsuki Wolf, Hiryu
Swamp creature~Plague Beast
Bug type~Antlion *can be found in ant hole
Karma sensitive in ilshnar ~ Serpentine Dragon
Arachnid ~ Terathon
compact size~Wisp
undead~mummy
humanoid spellcaster ~ Juka Mage

now, these guys are in groups - 4 groups with 3 monsters each (or is it the other way around, 3 groups with 4 monsters each?)
we dont know yet what groups the monsters are in.

Each group will drop their own kind of seed.

after that, it gets fuzzy for me. so, if anyone can tell us in easy to understand language?

B

Beastmaster

I *think* its a matter of semantics. They are making a short and a tall hedge, counting it in their "15" count as 1 plant, when it really is 2.

Edit: Ah, I found confirmation here
link

B

Beastmaster

First forget the cocoa since they all have a rather large chance to drop it.

There are 4 groups of 3 monsters. Looking over the list of monsters I can't see any logical groupings that would account for all 4 groups so I'm guessing they were grouped more or less randomly.

Each group has 4 possible seeds (not counting cocoa). All 16 possible seeds will look just alike and say "peculiar". It will take at least a week to figure out how the monsters are grouped since multiple plants will have to be grown from every monster. My plan is to try and get about 5 peculiars from each monster and see what they produce.

C

Ceridwen

Ooooh... thank you very much!

That's what happens when you try to do UO-math before your first coffee... *runs off to get another one*

F

feath

from the link;

not quite, there are 12 monsters divided in 4 groups of 3 monsters.

There is a total of 16 new plants, plus the cocoa tree, so 17. The reason we say 15 is because there are 2 types of hedges (tall and short). The plants are divided into 4 groups of 4 plants each.

Each monster group will have 4 new seeds plus the cocoa seed, so 5 seeds per monster group.

F

feath

to me, this seems logical - not grouping by 'type' of creature, but by how hard to kill they are. 1, easy, 2, med, 3 hard... so, no matter your char abilities, he should be able to get to at least 1 monster in each group - which has the potiential of carrying each type of seed...?
(of course, it may vary to group, you get the idea?)

group 1
Dryad
Titan
Kappa

group 2
Wisp
Antlion
Tsuki Wolf

group 3
mummy
Hiryu
Serpentine Dragon

group 4
Terathon
Plague Beast
Juka Mage

F

Flora Green

yeah, i do too, thiefy. my crafter is lame, so the most she does is hide behind her anvil and wave a saw at a mongbat.
Saw at a mongbat. I lol'd at that. :D Don't know why it didn't jump at me before.

F

Flora Green

to me, this seems logical - not grouping by 'type' of creature, but by how hard to kill they are. 1, easy, 2, med, 3 hard... so, no matter your char abilities, he should be able to get to at least 1 monster in each group - which has the potiential of carrying each type of seed...?
(of course, it may vary to group, you get the idea?)

group 1
Dryad
Titan
Kappa

group 2
Wisp
Antlion
Tsuki Wolf

group 3
mummy
Hiryu
Serpentine Dragon

group 4
Terathon
Plague Beast
Juka Mage
That is an interesting way to look at it and it does make sense. A crafter or just non-combat type should be able to kill a mummy for example. I didn't think of them possibly being grouped that way. I hope you are right for those who don't fight much or at all. For now I'll have to rely on donations (*crosses fingers*) from fellow players or buy any seeds I happen to find cheap. Man I wish my connection was fast again. One more month to go. :coco:

B

Beastmaster

The more I think about this the more I think this new system will be washed up in 2 months or less for the most part. With so many people hunting for seeds we will probably know the monster/seed groups in 10 days or less. Once we know the groups, the rest is just time waiting for seeds to grow. So if you have an order/desire for 10 short hedges, you farm the easiest thing in that monster group until you've collected 40 peculiar seeds, since 1 in 4 peculiar seeds should be that short hedge. You plant them all and wait for the results. Yeah, there'll be a little thrill at first seeing what's going to pop on day 7, but once we've narrowed it to that 1 in 4 chance it's not going to be as exciting.

Maybe they will at least rethink the resources part of this some time soon. Start a letter writing campaign to Regine??

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beastmaster, you must be a charmed person, whereas I am the unluckiest soul around..... I will be looking for many, MANY hedges, and you can bet that when the hedge seed's whereabouts is known I will be knocking heads to get them... but will I get them? no, I'll get one of those super large fern things most recently seen in rubble form from Magencia (just an example of my luck, folks, I have no idea what other plants we'll be seeing)

C

Ceridwen

I like the "super large fern things" to be honest... saw an interesting deco idea on a japanese site with them and going to test them once I get my hands on one of them... just hoping that they're also one of those plants. :)

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that while many people will try to grow the new plants in the beginning, that eventually the people who really have no interest in gardening won't have the patience to try for the plants they want, in quantity, and will depend on gardeners for a supply.

I posted over on UHall about plain campions - almost anybody can get some plain seeds from boglings and grow a few plain plants in order to get a starter plain campion. With one, they could then have access to as many plain campion seeds as they wanted. But this just doesn't happen, or at least not often. People still come to us for plain campions - one of the most popular plants after all the time that the plant system has been in place - even though they could easily get the seeds themselves.

A good personal example is verite stone tables. I needed a bunch of these for my house, and I have a char who can mine the stone and make the tables for me. But, imo getting the stone was a pain - making the tables was a pain...I just wanted to deco the house and be done with it. So, I was willing to buy them from a vendor that had them available in quantity.

The differences to me concerning the bonsai seeds is that the trees (in 2D at least) just weren't good looking, and didn't lend themselves to mass-planting types of house decor. Someone might have wanted a collection of one of each tree, but that's about it. I'd guess that many, many people will want hedges, and lots of them, to deco their houses.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
fair warning, I'll put up a fight for a hedge seed ;)

while we're on the topic... wouldn't hops be great? even with the variety of vines we have now they're gettin' kinda stale... a new wall climber would be soooooo nice

B

Beastmaster

Anyone put much thought or research into just what we might be getting or is everyone just content to wait for gardeners' xmas? We know they are all existing art, but having just started gardening myself, I've no idea what's already in the game that we can't grow. Guess I'll have to load up InsideUO and take a peek. I promise to wrap them back up afterwards :)

D

debsmad

I was looking at some of the other pics at that site (Flora's link) and I miss those old days when we had to get more creative with the limited things ingame. Now if we want fountains, we have fountains. If we want water, we have water tiles.

*dreamy sigh for the old days*

lol

F

Flora Green

I enjoy looking at the older pics too, debsmad.

BTW, for my fellow gardeners, I have an endless water pitcher I bought from an NPC. Has anyone else found this? I got it off of one of the NPC's at the Zento inn on Origin. To verify it wasn't a fluke, I bought a second one for another of my other gardener characters. Sure enough it also seems to be bottomless. I've watered a LOT of plants with these and neither have run out yet. So, check it out on your shards!

D

debsmad

I'll have to check this out! I've been doing the endless fill thing by using waves....totally beats the water trough. :)

F

feath

europa doesn't have an 'inn', but has a 'tavern', where the innkeepper is at. doesn't give unlimited water pitcher though :( Tried all npcs.
maybe i'm in the wrong place, and just can't find an 'inn'. someone show me a map of where the inn is?

F

Flora Green

No that's it, feath. I always call it an inn cause it doesn't fit my definition of a tavern with the Japanese deco. I found the pitcher totally by accident when I realized I didn't have one in my pack and I went to the nearest place that sold it. Imagine my surprise when it just kept giving water. I'll test other NPC's on Origin to see if it's shard wide or just in Zento.

D

debsmad

Hmm. I'm on Lake Superior and the one I bought is not endless. *sigh* Back to the waves for me, I guess.

:)

F

Finch

I think that while many people will try to grow the new plants in the beginning, that eventually the people who really have no interest in gardening won't have the patience to try for the plants they want, in quantity, and will depend on gardeners for a supply.

I posted over on UHall about plain campions - almost anybody can get some plain seeds from boglings and grow a few plain plants in order to get a starter plain campion. With one, they could then have access to as many plain campion seeds as they wanted. But this just doesn't happen, or at least not often. People still come to us for plain campions - one of the most popular plants after all the time that the plant system has been in place - even though they could easily get the seeds themselves.

A good personal example is verite stone tables. I needed a bunch of these for my house, and I have a char who can mine the stone and make the tables for me. But, imo getting the stone was a pain - making the tables was a pain...I just wanted to deco the house and be done with it. So, I was willing to buy them from a vendor that had them available in quantity.

The differences to me concerning the bonsai seeds is that the trees (in 2D at least) just weren't good looking, and didn't lend themselves to mass-planting types of house decor. Someone might have wanted a collection of one of each tree, but that's about it. I'd guess that many, many people will want hedges, and lots of them, to deco their houses.
I think you got it. Time or lack there of is what will keep tending plants profitable. There are many that play UO that don't want to garden, but want the plants for deco and will be willing to pay for it. Hence the reason plain plants still sell today. I too have bought things I just didn't want to take the time to make, even though I could. And I did tuski wolves the other day, got a good amount of seeds, and they each drop around a grand, so made a nice chunk of change pretty quickly as my dog chews through them pretty quick.