• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pure mage in pvm

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi guys :)

ive been thinking about making a pure mage, for pvm, but ive been reading through these forums a bit and all i can really find are pvp templates for a pure mage so i had a few questions really.

are pure mages any good for pvm? or without barding or taming skills are they a bit guff?

i wanted to add inscription to the template, and im open to suggestions of adding mysticism (have NO idea what it does, or what benefits it would bring) or necromancy.

if anyone could suggest anything, or point me in the right direction (reading material or similar) i would be most thankfull.

C

Cazzador

I trying out a 120 magery,Eval,Med,Necro,SS, Weaver. Just for fun. I think it will be pretty decent for PVM don't know if I will be able to take down what I can with my sammy. But sounded like a fun template.

T

Tazar

I use a mage for PVM almost exclusively.

I keep 120 mage, med, eval, resist, and wrestling - then swap out inscription, spellweaving, or mysticism depending on the night.

Mages in PVM can do fantastic damage in PVM with the right equipment.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok cheers Tazar :) im going to try out mage/med/eval/resist/wrestling/inscription. none will be 120 yet, im not feeling that rich...

i was wondering if there was any way of fitting necro and spirit speak in there (heals through poison, pew pew)... but i figure id have to drop two of wrestle/resist/inscription, which i dont think i want to do.

on a side thought, does the sdi from inscription affect necro spells?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a mage for PVM almost exclusively.

I keep 120 mage, med, eval, resist, and wrestling - then swap out inscription, spellweaving, or mysticism depending on the night.

Mages in PVM can do fantastic damage in PVM with the right equipment.
Thank you, Tazar. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've always been really bad at PVM, or at least inept. My role in my dungeon crawling days was to keep my friends alive while they tackled the nasties. I've always loved pure mages, or at least the idea of them. I wondered if it was possible to have one that could stand toe-to-toe with most of the solo-friendly monsters. You answered my question.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Tazar. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've always been really bad at PVM, or at least inept. My role in my dungeon crawling days was to keep my friends alive while they tackled the nasties. I've always loved pure mages, or at least the idea of them. I wondered if it was possible to have one that could stand toe-to-toe with most of the solo-friendly monsters. You answered my question.
i doubt mages can go toe to toe with much... compared to a tamer or Sammy.

i don't think you'll be soloing peerless. they can give a good damage output, but need a tank i would expect?

C

Cloak&Dagger

i doubt mages can go toe to toe with much... compared to a tamer or Sammy.

i don't think you'll be soloing peerless. they can give a good damage output, but need a tank i would expect?
This is true, but they did mention "Solo-Friendly" I take that to mean monsters which are easily solo-able, I would not consider a peerless in this category, although some are solo-able with a pure mage, it just would take much longer to kill....Wonder if it could be done with-in the two hour limit that is given? Shimmer is certainty solo-able, can even get the keys solo with a pure mage, but the damage output might not be enough to kill it in 2 hours?

S

Stupid Miner

Hm, Inscription seems useless for PvM to me. +15% SDI is nice in PvP since SDI from items is capped at 15%, so it's doubling the SDI.
But PvM doesnt have an SDI cap. And you can pile tons of SDI on that'll render that +15 meaningless.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Hm, Inscription seems useless for PvM to me. +15% SDI is nice in PvP since SDI from items is capped at 15%, so it's doubling the SDI.
But PvM doesnt have an SDI cap. And you can pile tons of SDI on that'll render that +15 meaningless.
This could be agreeable, but even when you get max sdi from items, you still gain the +15 from inscription, so to some people it might be more viable than to other people. That aside I never change my Mage template, it has inscription, but then I use it to both pvm and pvp, and mostly in fel so keeping inscription on is nice for me.

S

Stupid Miner

Cloak‡1661834 said:
This could be agreeable, but even when you get max sdi from items, you still gain the +15 from inscription, so to some people it might be more viable than to other people. That aside I never change my Mage template, it has inscription, but then I use it to both pvm and pvp, and mostly in fel so keeping inscription on is nice for me.
Oh didn't mean to imply it didn't have any use, just that it's suboptimal if you're going to do PvM only.
Nothing wrong with being suboptimal either if that's what you want; everyone has their idiosyncrasies, and it's not a bad thing. Just wanted to make clear that there are more powerful options than Inscription.
And certainly useful for a PvM/PvP template.