• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Publish 53 turn-in discussion

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's what the FOF stated, first of all....

Spring Cleaning Updates: The full list with point values will be posted with the Test Center notes next week, but here are some of the things you will now be able to turn in for points:
  • Holiday and Valentine's gifts
  • SoS and MiBs
  • Power and stat scrolls (all kinds)
  • Treasure maps
  • Artifacts (various kinds - minor, Doom, etc)
  • Grobu's Fur
  • Fishing Nets
And here are some of the house decorations and other items you'll be able to collect as rewards:
  • A special Luck bracelet and ring
  • Virtue tiles (to see what these look like, visit the Chamber of the Virtues in central Britain.)
  • A beehive
  • an archery butte
  • a firepit
  • a nest with eggs
  • a yucca tree, a stand of bamboo, or a potted cactus
  • a mounted Dragon head, for hanging on the wall
  • Horse Barding (for decoration only!)
Now, let's replies to ideas as to what is and isn't a good idea, in a thread that isn't too easily lost among the usual FoF discussion & flamebaiting...

I'll go first with a reply to this thread...

F

Fran Fury

I am looking forward to the new items although I am still sad over cocoa trees getting pushed back yet again.I suppose there is still hope they will make it in but I doubt it.

I like the turn ins, certainly will free up some space. I would rather see mibs and sos as turn in for the library though.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pub 52 items made sense in the event style (although I think more thought could have gone into some of the turn-in system, particularly the Ophidian items, but oh well).

Pub 53 makes it interesting with the additions of Power Scrolls, Artifacts TMaps, and SOSs.

It really has me wondering what exactly they are attempting with this and the item system. Seems like they are working on ways to prod us to dump our old stuff for... well, that's the question, isn't it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Turn-ins:

A. Fishing Nets, SoS and MiBs - A VERY, VERY bad idea. does more to kill a skill and a profession. The turn-ins should be the LOOT from these, NOT the actual nets, SoS and MiBs.
  • The Portraits
  • The Paintings
  • The other misc. loot tagged recovered from a shipwreck
  • empty chests from the shipwrecks (with the white ones paying out more)
  • Rope Coils
  • Items that are Ancient SOS only artifacts and minors (at substantially higher values than normal minors)
B. Treasure Maps - Also a BAD idea. Maps need a boost, not another way to get rid of them. Maps can already be turned in at the Library, and getting more points for them from this collection punishes those who turned in maps at the library. Turn-ins should be the T-map-only minors (for substantially more points than normal minors), the green bags from the level 6 chests, completed maps (ONLY) and the tattered wall map craftables (at a substantial bonus over the point value of the maps needed to make them).

C. Power and stat scrolls (all kinds) - A decent idea, as it will give the Fel-centered types more things to turn in (as they raised many concern as to how many items in the current and next turn-ins were mostly items from places they don't or can't go).

D. Artifacts (various kinds - minor, Doom, etc) - good idea, but some items need to have additional value. For example, items that do NOT drop from Paragons (only maps, ASOS or both) should be worth substantially more than normal minor Artifacts, and the Anchor and Seahorse should be worth much more than Doom drops.

E. Grobu's Fur - good idea, but add all the other "Quest items" without a quest (or go to a quest only doable once per character) to this list too. Things like Thorvald's medallion, the tainted seeds from a Tangle, Saliva feathers, Orders from Minax, the journal from the prism, the "A Welcome" book from Betrayers, the mission journals from Khaldun, The Shield of Recognition from doing the Compassion quest wrong, Books of Truth, items from incomplete candle of love quests, etc.

F. Additional suggestions - Empty Paragon chests, empty blackrock infected boxes, all the extra Threads of Life and Threads of Fate that will be left over after whatever use they get.

Rewards:

A. A special Luck bracelet and ring - Ok, but are bound to make some people angry

B. Virtue tiles - Nice for decoration, especially placed in front of a house Ankh

C-I. A beehive, an archery butte, a firepit, a nest with eggs, a yucca tree, a stand of bamboo, or a potted cactus - all nice items, but things that some people will object to for Rares collecting reasons.

J. a mounted Dragon head, for hanging on the wall - Nice deco, but I'd rather had this as a carpentry option for the taxidermy kit.

K. Horse Barding (for decoration only!)
  • IF on a pet horse for decoration, will it fit a nightmare or unicorn?
  • IF a static decoration lockable in a house, will it come with a stand?
  • In either case, how about "mounting" it on a Phillip's Wooden Steed as deco?
Additional Reward ideas:

How about letting points be claimed in the form of "point checks" that can be donated to the other collections? This would let non-tamers donate to the Zoo more effectively, and also help non-scripters donate to the other collections.

Also: Add the Redeemer (paladin sword artifact 7) and "The Wanderer" music gear from the Book of Truth event to the rewards. You did say they would be made available later, after all.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind this was just a preview to hush us up. LOL We all have been jumping up and down wanting details...... DETAILS already!!! As Fran said I do hope they will include a few more things in this publish (cough)cocoa trees(cough). I'm in a wait and see mood, so...

I do like the list though. I have so many of some of these items it's embarrassing. It'll be nice to start fresh and maybe allowing some of these things to be turned in marks the coming of new system (MIBs, T-maps) And some like Grobu's fur just collect doing not much of anything, add several items to that list, umm hmm, like stout whips, primitive fetish (what is a primitive fetish anyway?), plague beast mutation cores and healthy glands, oh i could go on forever.

But I am very eager to see what else Pub 53 brings.

Ori

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I believe the ring and bracelet are basically developed of flesh out the Virtue/Knight sets, but it will depend on their full mods.

F

Fayled Dhreams

A mounted Dragon head, for hanging on the wall.

IF its the one like the one found in the second floor of the luna bank mall ... (room with the bear rug)

Its all good ...

Been wanting one of those since the day I first saw it ...

Fortunately ... haven't wasted any points on anything else ...

doesn't need to be animated/talking or east/south facing option ...

THAT Dragon head mounted on the wall ... chk chk wink

Beauty ...

Doesn't even matter where it falls in the "price range" ... for me ... its a milestone marker
Saw it, wanted it, asked for it several times ...
Takes a year or two more to get one ...

Its all good ...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I get enough Points I so want so much of that..... but I agree with Fayed.... I want that dragon head... have been wanting it forever.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All great except the yucca, firepit and bird's nest.... leave the rares community alone and replace these with something else.... like the coca trees, etc.... but don't reuse a graphic that is rare. Just rehue a century plant and give it a different name.... done.

Or, give the pvp crowd something they might want in exchange for their power scrolls. The above poster summed up the fel sentiment about these rewards rather nicely.

H

Hanna

All great except the yucca, firepit and bird's nest.... leave the rares community alone and replace these with something else.... like the coca trees, etc.... but don't reuse a graphic that is rare. Just rehue a century plant and give it a different name.... done.

Or, give the pvp crowd something they might want in exchange for their power scrolls. The above poster summed up the fel sentiment about these rewards rather nicely.
Honestly as much as I understand wher your coming from, why exactly should they cater to the few members of the rare comunity over the rest of the subscribers? We're not talking about sever birth rares, were talking about very recent rubble that mostly scripters grabbed.

D

Dreadlord Galaad

Its going to be a short discussion I just want to give my opinion about treasure maps :

If its intended to work with uncompleted maps then its an extremly bad idea
But if its to work only with completed maps then its a great idea!

T

timbeOFbaja

Honestly, I think it's a horrible turn in. It's like they looked at the list we came up with on these forums and copied it rote.

The problems are many. First of all, the goal of a turn in should be to reduce the number of items in the world. This will NOT accomplish that. In fact it will probably make it worse. Since everything in this list still spawns, you're going to have newfound farming of these items and consequent hording. Especially holiday items which will, hereforafter, never ever be thrown out again. In fact people will probably start buying them every holiday to horde them away.

Treasure maps and SoS's have been horded because people are waiting for the day they're once again made useful. Which, if they are, people will be pretty peeved that they traded them all in for a dragon head house deco only to have them revamped in the near future.

Mostly, everything here is stuff that people shouldn't be hording and you're rewarding them for hording this stuff and giving everybody reason to horde further.

Old charged items should be on the list.
Practice weapons should be on the list.
Moonstones should be on the list.
Get ride of a bunch of these things.

Otherwise, just add everything. heck, I have a couple hundred pieces of runic armor I'm holding onto because it isn't good enough to sell or use but I spent good money on the kit. I want to get rid of those, so add them to the list.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i agree, they like to recycle instead to put new items...no words devs!

Honestly as much as I understand wher your coming from, why exactly should they cater to the few members of the rare comunity over the rest of the subscribers? We're not talking about sever birth rares, were talking about very recent rubble that mostly scripters grabbed.
they'd care, why not?
So you think they should put these items only because they are recent rubble?
compliments!

Why they dont add also old items like colored shorud?
Only because they are old?

SO, i want them! dev put also these
items as rewards!

sound good this to you?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is Phase 2 of the turn-in...

Ill bet diamonds stuff like your old charged weapons, moonstones,, etc etc and other likewise junk will be added to a later Phase 3 of the Clean up britania promotion!!!

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I mentioned on another thread, I think I am the only one to notice that the stuff seems to be spawning less. I strongly believe that the Dev's are rebalancing the game and maybe.. just maybe they'll be upping the ante on the SoS's, T-Maps etc in the near future with SA is released.

After all, how pissed would you be if you had say.. 200 T-maps and didnt hand them in. Then they stop the hand-ins and for some reason all current T-maps become useless as they restart/redo the T-map system? You'ld have had your chance to get rid of them so you couldnt complain (But people till will, they always do).

And as for the Deco stuff! Thats excellent! Deco should be the rewards rather than some uber bit of kit that wont make a nats **** difference in the long run cos everyone will have one anyway. It should be more deco orinated, and if that includes reusing some graphics for 'rares' (Most of which werent supposed to be able to be player held anyway) then its tough to the holder.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no way to make everyone happy people are too different. I like the things you can get and am excited about getting them. I have no problem if they want to change the name or make the eggs a different color so the rares are still rare. I have a singing ball and it is one of my favorite items but if they decided to have them available again I would be fine with it but would appreciate it if they would change the name at least so mine is still special. I am curious to see what else will be a turn in item. Did they say there will be a phase 3 of the turn in? I may have missed it. I'm also wondering if we are going to get to find out what the cloaks and thread are going to be used for or if it will be pushed off.

A

Archangel Azrael

I hope they have at least everything they mentioned on the list. It would suck to pay the inflated prices thinking they were going to be turn in items, then they decide to change it up. I do also believe that reg doom arties should be worth at least 25000 points per because the cursed ones were worth so much less than the real deal. Also I feel that ancient sos's or fabeled nets should be worth more than their regular counter parts.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A special Luck bracelet and ring - Possibly useful, depends on mods.

Virtue tiles - Freaking Useless
A beehive - Freaking Useless
an archery butte - Freaking Useless
a firepit - Freaking Useless
a nest with eggs - Freaking Useless
a yucca tree, a stand of bamboo, or a potted cactus - all Freaking Useless
a mounted Dragon head, for hanging on the wall - Freaking Useless
Horse Barding (for decoration only!) - Freaking Useless
(Happy now mods?)

Seriously, Give us something our character will actually use to play the game.....TIRED OF DECO CRAP!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe Phase 3 will bring some ok pvp stuff for u guys......
=robes with a little mods/resist
=sashes with a little mods/resist
=footwear with a little mods/resist

(slighty better than the just +2 poison boots plz!!! even if its like +1 to all??etc etc)

T

timbeOFbaja

This is Phase 2 of the turn-in...

Ill bet diamonds stuff like your old charged weapons, moonstones,, etc etc and other likewise junk will be added to a later Phase 3 of the Clean up britania promotion!!!
I don't care if I get to turn this stuff in. My point is that Pub 53 turn in will increase hording overall. Right now you have no excuse to hold onto artic death dealers and lvl 1 t-maps and +5 power scrolls and old holiday items. After this publish, you may as well max out your storage with anything you can get ahold of.

A

Aladaria

I, for one, think the new hand ins are fantastic. I don't know if it was planned from the outset, but it does appear to be a large portion of the things we said we would like to see as turn-ins.

Minor artifacts are great turn ins, as are t-maps (assuming they are the completed ones) and powerscrolls - now much better for those people who try and do champs but always get raided, at least if you got some 105s you have something to hand in.

As for the rewards, and I hope I'm not alone in saying this, but well done devs! Thank you for not being pressured into giving out high-end 'leet' items. There are enough of these already - what's wrong with a nice coloured sash and some deco (think the horse barding is great too).

I'm just hoping that the points rewards aren't scaled too low - I think the planesword/shield points was a huge let down (even 500 would have been better than just 100).

I

Infiniti

I, for one, think the new hand ins are fantastic. I don't know if it was planned from the outset, but it does appear to be a large portion of the things we said we would like to see as turn-ins.

Minor artifacts are great turn ins, as are t-maps (assuming they are the completed ones) and powerscrolls - now much better for those people who try and do champs but always get raided, at least if you got some 105s you have something to hand in.

As for the rewards, and I hope I'm not alone in saying this, but well done devs! Thank you for not being pressured into giving out high-end 'leet' items. There are enough of these already - what's wrong with a nice coloured sash and some deco (think the horse barding is great too).

I'm just hoping that the points rewards aren't scaled too low - I think the planesword/shield points was a huge let down (even 500 would have been better than just 100).
AGREE :)

E

Evilminion

Although I understand that some of the new deco items might upset the rares community, I have to say that I'm reeeeeeeally happy about them. I've already planned out where to put my birds' nest (in my cherry blossom tree!), my bamboo, my beehive, and a Spirituality tile... now I just hope I can get together enough points to claim them all!!

:love: :thumbup1: :heart: :drool:

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm saving my complaints/praise for when the points system is announced. Judging by the initial first round it's hard to say whether or not this is going to be good or bad. The 100 pts for swords and shields sums it up perfectly as to how bad these systems can be.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i hope some of this stuff like the corruption robes, threads etc will have a purpose other than simple turn ins. oh and the new obsidian swords etc

A

Aladaria

i hope some of this stuff like the corruption robes, threads etc will have a purpose other than simple turn ins. oh and the new obsidian swords etc
I'd like it if we could weave the threads into the robes of corruption to reverse the effect, making them not cursed and maybe have +2 or so to each regen rate - I don't think that would be particularly overpowering, especially since the caps were put in place a few publishes ago.

R

Repo

A special Luck bracelet and ring - Possibly useful, depends on mods.

Virtue tiles - Freaking Useless
A beehive - Freaking Useless
an archery butte - Freaking Useless
a firepit - Freaking Useless
a nest with eggs - Freaking Useless
a yucca tree, a stand of bamboo, or a potted cactus - all Freaking Useless
a mounted Dragon head, for hanging on the wall - Freaking Useless
Horse Barding (for decoration only!) - Freaking Useless
(Happy now mods?)

Seriously, Give us something our character will actually use to play the game.....TIRED OF DECO CRAP!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE!!
Strong words. They are your opinion... but some of us out here actually are hoping for more items like this, NOT wanting some uber killing weapon so everyone can solo the toughest monsters out there...

Now you have my opinion. (minus the implied cuss words, and insults)

R

Repo

Personally (I'm going to give another opinion now...) I believe this game has become waaaay too centered around items. All folks care about anymore is what neat new item the devs are going to make for them, and that item better be super killer useful, and obtainable, and neon colored, and oh don't spawn it for too long cause I want to be the only one to have it...

This is not what the world is about.

I personally love neat little items just like most of the population, but it is not the reason to play the game.

Gather up all your friends, and go do something together. Form memories and experiences which are not centered around loot. Be a healer. Do not loot anything... just keep your friends alive. There's a strange satisfaction in just playing the game, and not worrying about "what's in it for me".

I challenge those of you who are looking at threads like this as a provider of the next great thing to keep you in the game to take a good hard look at your time in game. Is it dedicated to the collection of "things"? Do you spend the majority of your time focused on having the latest, greatest, most expensive item? How often are you actually playing the game for the sake of playing?

If you find yourself leaning mostly to the "I only care about the items" mindset, you might want to consider a change of play style, or even a break from the game.

It hasn't always been about the items, and it doesn't have to be going forward. We, the mob can focus on more important things: each other.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe Phase 3 will bring some ok pvp stuff for u guys......
=robes with a little mods/resist
=sashes with a little mods/resist
=footwear with a little mods/resist

(slighty better than the just +2 poison boots plz!!! even if its like +1 to all??etc etc)

Just say it you want
1. Vinecord Sandals
2. Sashes with MR LMC and LRC
3. Robes with Hci, Dci
4. All of the above is availiable in different ultra blink blink color.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just say it you want
1. Vinecord Sandals
2. Sashes with MR LMC and LRC
3. Robes with Hci, Dci
4. All of the above is availiable in different ultra blink blink color.
I want a very special pony.

Oh wait, we already got those. :D

K

Kebet

I couldnt agree more Repo! Granted the devs got the ball rolling on the "items" but it seems that we are more and more buying into it. Thankfully I can still find adventure in Sosaria. For example, I still like doing treasure maps. I have been trying to find them the old way (using a world map and plotting x's) just for the satisfaction of finding it!! No I havent succeeded yet but it's fun to try!:D

I just dont know where all this clean-up will lead us. I can only hope it is just a limited time event but even then as someone said it will most likely turn us all into hoarders and item collectors (you know just in case they bring it back one day). You can already see the affect of this latest announcement..just check on the prices of +10 powerscrolls or christmas and valentine gifts (if you can even find any!). The +10 scrolls used to be available and affordable for new players. Some Fel guilds even made a point of donating them to newie help groups.

Dont get me wrong I like things too but including ordinary things like power scrolls, maps, nets and mibs in this just seems like we are starting (or should I say continuing) down a very bad path. It feels like we are losing something that made Sosaria such a great world for all these years...adventuring just for the sake of adventure.

At least that is how it feels to me.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not what the world is about.
Great post, thank you.

If everyone had this insight in their heart, the world would be ideal.

Far from the case, unfortunately.

Anyway, the message is, help your fellow man, not yourself.... and all will be well. In fact, this philosophy could work, but only if the vast majority of humanity bought it completely. Sadly, instead the world is ruled by fear and the perception of scarcity in all things.

G

galefan2004

I am looking forward to the new items although I am still sad over cocoa trees getting pushed back yet again.I suppose there is still hope they will make it in but I doubt it.

I like the turn ins, certainly will free up some space. I would rather see mibs and sos as turn in for the library though.
Unfortunately you have to look at the fact that there is very little reason to hunt Ilshenar paragons as it is and if they added cocoa trees they would remove yet another reason to hunt them.

G

galefan2004

Turn-ins:

A. Fishing Nets, SoS and MiBs - A VERY, VERY bad idea. does more to kill a skill and a profession. The turn-ins should be the LOOT from these, NOT the actual nets, SoS and MiBs.
Fishing has been more about white pearls then MIBs and nets since ML came out. This just gives them a way to work MIBs into a worthwhile system.

B. Treasure Maps - Also a BAD idea. Maps need a boost, not another way to get rid of them. Maps can already be turned in at the Library, and getting more points for them from this collection punishes those who turned in maps at the library.
Very few bother with maps anymore. I'm about to jump shards and needed soul stone space so I dumped Cartography off of a stone. I kept lockpicking. At least this will give people an additional reason to bother opening those paragon chests.

E. Grobu's Fur - good idea, but add all the other "Quest items" without a quest (or go to a quest only doable once per character) to this list too. Things like Thorvald's medallion, the tainted seeds from a Tangle, Saliva feathers, Orders from Minax, the journal from the prism, the "A Welcome" book from Betrayers, the mission journals from Khaldun, The Shield of Recognition from doing the Compassion quest wrong, Books of Truth, items from incomplete candle of love quests, etc.
I agree with all of that.

F. Additional suggestions - Empty Paragon chests, empty blackrock infected boxes, all the extra Threads of Life and Threads of Fate that will be left over after whatever use they get.
I don't think the chests themselves actually need to be turn ins. They are way to common.

A. A special Luck bracelet and ring - Ok, but are bound to make some people angry
It will be useless if they have only 200 luck or something of the like.

C-I. A beehive, an archery butte, a firepit, a nest with eggs, a yucca tree, a stand of bamboo, or a potted cactus - all nice items, but things that some people will object to for Rares collecting reasons.
More harm than good has come to this game over "rare collecting".

J. a mounted Dragon head, for hanging on the wall - Nice deco, but I'd rather had this as a carpentry option for the taxidermy kit.
If it looks anything like the one in Luna the only way I could see it being a carpentry add on is if it requires an item from the dragon champion in order to make it.

How about letting points be claimed in the form of "point checks" that can be donated to the other collections? This would let non-tamers donate to the Zoo more effectively, and also help non-scripters donate to the other collections.
I like this idea.

G

galefan2004

Since everything in this list still spawns, you're going to have newfound farming of these items and consequent hording. Especially holiday items which will, hereforafter, never ever be thrown out again. In fact people will probably start buying them every holiday to horde them away.
Maybe they are smart enough to not give us the same holiday crap in the future? Also, what exactly is so wrong with giving people items to gather, and I really don't think people will horde them because they would rather have the items so they will turn them in right away for points.

Treasure maps and SoS's have been horded because people are waiting for the day they're once again made useful. Which, if they are, people will be pretty peeved that they traded them all in for a dragon head house deco only to have them revamped in the near future.
Yes because when almost every Lurg and Miasma drops a level 6 paragon chest maps are SO hard to get. If you are hording maps then you must not really be hunting because you can get more than you will ever need in one day of hunting.

Mostly, everything here is stuff that people shouldn't be hording and you're rewarding them for hording this stuff and giving everybody reason to horde further.
Who are you to tell someone what they should hold onto? Also, people will turn these items in for points because you don't need to store points and they will still always be there. No one will be hoarding items they will be hoarding points.

Old charged items should be on the list.
Practice weapons should be on the list.
Moonstones should be on the list.
Get ride of a bunch of these things.
Some of them (the invisibility items for example) are still worth holding onto even if there is a turn in. The rest of them have long passed the point of being worthy of holding onto, and the majority of players started throwing them out by now.

Otherwise, just add everything. heck, I have a couple hundred pieces of runic armor I'm holding onto because it isn't good enough to sell or use but I spent good money on the kit. I want to get rid of those, so add them to the list.
L2usebagofsalvage. I spend good money on getting runics too, but the junk stuff still goes right back into leather or ingots.

G

galefan2004

Yes because there is a lack of oped items that are easily obtainable in this game. We need more more more. BTW, if everyone has one it makes little difference if you do or not.

I think the vast majority of players are fans of house decor items. I am one of them. I would much rather have AWESOME decor items (like these) then another knock off of easy to get Doom items.

R

Repo

I couldnt agree more Repo! Granted the devs got the ball rolling on the "items" but it seems that we are more and more buying into it. Thankfully I can still find adventure in Sosaria. For example, I still like doing treasure maps. I have been trying to find them the old way (using a world map and plotting x's) just for the satisfaction of finding it!! No I havent succeeded yet but it's fun to try!:D

I just dont know where all this clean-up will lead us. I can only hope it is just a limited time event but even then as someone said it will most likely turn us all into hoarders and item collectors (you know just in case they bring it back one day). You can already see the affect of this latest announcement..just check on the prices of +10 powerscrolls or christmas and valentine gifts (if you can even find any!). The +10 scrolls used to be available and affordable for new players. Some Fel guilds even made a point of donating them to newie help groups.

Dont get me wrong I like things too but including ordinary things like power scrolls, maps, nets and mibs in this just seems like we are starting (or should I say continuing) down a very bad path. It feels like we are losing something that made Sosaria such a great world for all these years...adventuring just for the sake of adventure.

At least that is how it feels to me.
Well said. I'm glad to see I'm not alone ;)

R

Repo

Great post, thank you.

If everyone had this insight in their heart, the world would be ideal.

Far from the case, unfortunately.

Anyway, the message is, help your fellow man, not yourself.... and all will be well. In fact, this philosophy could work, but only if the vast majority of humanity bought it completely. Sadly, instead the world is ruled by fear and the perception of scarcity in all things.
While I agree with you, I still believe you should never give up the fight. Some voices speaking up for community, and demonstrating such acts DO make a difference.

Maybe we should have a shard which the community focused people all migrate to...

R

Repo

You know what I'd really like to see for turn ins? Consumable items. Name change, transfer, 120 scrolls, +25 scrolls... etc.

I would love to turn in all my stuff for a 120 magery scroll...

T

timbeOFbaja

Who are you to tell someone what they should hold onto?
Horde what you want, I don't care. But the LAST thing they needed to do was give purpose to the hording which is what this is doing.

"You never know....it may be a turn-in" will be the mantra. There should be hard and fast criteria for turn-ins so that those kinds of people have no leg to stand on. Obsolete or event items are good options.

As far as giving people something to collect and turn in, there's already the libraries. Go ahead and expand that system, but people had to participate in the events to get the Pub 52 turn-ins which gave them value. Now the horder community is going to sweep in and turn everything in that list into common junk.

If these were different turn-in lists, then, cool. But now some crazy compulsive horder is going to turn in a hundred chests full of holiday bells and valentines and get a pair of snake skin boots? That's just off.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes because there is a lack of oped items that are easily obtainable in this game. We need more more more. BTW, if everyone has one it makes little difference if you do or not.
Well I don't PVP so yes, it does matter.

I think the vast majority of players are fans of house decor items. I am one of them. I would much rather have AWESOME decor items (like these) then another knock off of easy to get Doom items.
Are you seious? yeah yeah yeah deco is great, its not a total waste of items at all. really.
This is a game about killing other players or monsters. It is THE focus of the game. Without it, do you think the game would exist? no
So why is it so terrible to ask for an item that my characters might actually use to fight something?

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We don't have the whole list yet so maybe there will be something your characters can fight with. I still like the deco items and am really looking forward to getting them.

E

Evilminion

Just need to interject here that I kill monsters just to have the gold to buy items with which to decorate my virtual home. :blushing: One of the primary reasons I'm playing UO instead of *insert name of a competing MMO here* is the customizability of housing.

There's no "right" way to play the game; we all have our own methods and reasons. And if your way is whomping monsters, then indeed, a new beehive won't do you much good. But I'm sure looking forward to it.

Say, devs, can you put the beehive on a stick and make a VERY PAINFUL FLAIL? :D :D It could do additional poison damage over time...

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I think it's a horrible turn in. It's like they looked at the list we came up with on these forums and copied it rote.
Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't.

What people should also look at is that the Devs paid attention to those of us that bothered with posting. Goes to show people that players do contribute and our input counts.

Once the publish is put on TC then we should all go test it and go from there.

T

timbeOFbaja

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't.

What people should also look at is that the Devs paid attention to those of us that bothered with posting. Goes to show people that players do contribute and our input counts.

Once the publish is put on TC then we should all go test it and go from there.
LOL. I'm of the opinion that players seldom know what's good for themselves. Even when they think they know, once they got it they would realize it was ultimately disasterous. Decisions like this need to be made from some kind of design guideline or principle. It's why this game is such a mish mash mess right now. Get enough people to make a fuss and they'll add cars to the game and use some time travel instance from one of the Ultima games to justify it.

If I were a dev, I'd be putting a full time job's worth of thought into this game and would have definite reasons for everything I added and like hell would a couple dozen message board posters be making decisions for me. :)