• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pub 86 - VvV Phase I

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please post issues related to VvV Phase I - Thanks!

Known issues as of 7/18/2014 4:49pm

The sigil is visible in the EC
Stat loss is not being applied correctly
The Faction Gear-O-Matic is not awarding faction gear that doesn't belong to anyone but Kyronix

Last edited:

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The VvV gump is messing up my animal form macro. I hit my Animal Form macro and the VvV gump blinks and instead of the macro chosing my form it leaves it at the menu to pick the form.

My animal form macro is a UOA macro:
Use skill/Cast Spell (animal form)
Menu selection (the animal form I want)

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The VvV gump is messing up my animal form macro. I hit my Animal Form macro and the VvV gump blinks and instead of the macro chosing my form it leaves it at the menu to pick the form.

My animal form macro is a UOA macro:
Use skill/Cast Spell (animal form)
Menu selection (the animal form I want)
Got a similar issue with my enchant spell:
I have an UO-Assist Macro:
Use skill/Cast Spell (enchant)
Menue selection (the spell I want on my bow)
It just gets me to the Menue selection but does not make the selection (minor I know but I guess same issue)

And here is my post from UO Hall again since I did not know Test Center had its own forum:
The VvV needs some major thinking:
One decent stealther thief can win this battle because you cannot realy catch him/her because of the huge playing field even if you chase him/her with 3-5 people.

Everybody fights against everybody else, unless you are in the same guild. What happened to the two opposing sides?

When you are alone at the beginning your guild gets points for being in control of the town. Then others enter and you controll the town. A few kills should be enough to make up for that point deficit, but is not.

That gump with VvV time display is huge, please make it smaller.

If you get into stat-loss it stays for over 30 minutes (did not happen to me but a friend im mumble).

This whole thing could work if each side had huge numbers that could prepare well for a fight. You should start thinking about a concept that also works for smaller numbers.

Why don't you make it a "king of the hill" type of thing? Each side (2-4 should be no problem) has its own "treasure hoard" (or whatever you want to describe your base), which can be bashed upon, or stolen from. Your side receives points for damaging that hoard or stealing from the hoard of your opponents. Killing opponents also gives (quiet a lot of) points. Who has most points at the end of a certain period (15 minutes seems good to me) wins. That way the battles take place at a small area (around the "treasures"), everybody can chip in no matter if you are a thief, stealther, revealer or fighter/mage, and you are not running around looking like crazy for one thief that carries the sigil.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have a few questions
Can a non guilded player join?
Do the whole guild have to join or can crafters stay out?
Can VvV also fight in Trammel?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a few questions
Can a non guilded player join?
Do the whole guild have to join or can crafters stay out?
Can VvV also fight in Trammel?
You must be in a guild to join, even if you are the only person in that guild.

Right now it's a guild wide join like factions.

VvV cannot fight in Trammel.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Can you explain how this stupid system works? Why is everyone orange to me and I am blue to them?
What does being orange even mean? I am in the TB faction and this other TB faction guy is orange to me and drops me? Aren't we allies. Seriously just can this system its really really awful.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you explain how this stupid system works? Why is everyone orange to me and I am blue to them?
What does being orange even mean? I am in the TB faction and this other TB faction guy is orange to me and drops me? Aren't we allies. Seriously just can this system its really really awful.
Dude,

First off, this is PHASE 1 of testing. We are testing the base mechanics, but not everything is fleshed out yet. We are put into random factions on TC due to this being early stages, and the factions not being removed yet (They use similar systems).

How VvV works is thus:

Your guild opts into VvV
Your guild is orange to any other guild in VvV
Blues see you as orange, for if they attack you, they too will flag orange. Example: You are VvV, a blue decides to attack you, they thus flag orange to EVERYONE in VvV. If they die they suffer the same consequences (Stat for example). Currently, you stay orange until death.

VvV sends messages to your guild when battles are about to take place. They then announce which city is under attack. During battle you gain points for being the only guild in the zone, killing opponents, or being a thief who steals the sigil and returning it to a priest who hangs out in the cities.

Currently on TC, we mainly have the flagging to test, the battles, and the new battle gump (as some examples). I expect we will see further updates on TC, which will slowly integrate the system more fully for testing.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
so blues can opt in to gank me at anytime since I am orange? yet I just have to sit there and wait for them to flag on me? thats quite dumb.

What is the purpose of controlling a city I sat in yew last night while getting constantly spammed that my forces were conquering the city and needed to be stopped not a single person showed and at the end it just seems like a giant waste of time. That gump that pops up is annoying and unnecessary and the constant 5 seconds chat spam from VVV is annoying as well.

This system is so far proving to be a joke.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so blues can opt in to gank me at anytime since I am orange? yet I just have to sit there and wait for them to flag on me? thats quite dumb.

What is the purpose of controlling a city I sat in yew last night while getting constantly spammed that my forces were conquering the city and needed to be stopped not a single person showed and at the end it just seems like a giant waste of time. That gump that pops up is annoying and unnecessary and the constant 5 seconds chat spam from VVV is annoying as well.

This system is so far proving to be a joke.
The battles earn you points, you spend points on rewards (Which as stated before, aren't in this testing phase). The gump is actually quite awesome, and it shows you who is winning the battle zone, so yes it is necessary (Unless you don't want to know which guild is getting closer to winning the battle).

Blues already jump into faction fights, at least now they will suffer stat and flag to everyone in VvV.

(And no one showed because its TC. You are there to test and refine the system, not to have fun)

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Solus I really don't know why you are so supportive of this system, when everyone can see it's horrible. I guess you are probably in the Focus Group and want to claim that you were a part of some UO game system. Luckily for us we will just know who to blame for this failure.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Solus I really don't know why you are so supportive of this system, when everyone can see it's horrible. I guess you are probably in the Focus Group and want to claim that you were a part of some UO game system. Luckily for us we will just know who to blame for this failure.
I don't know why you are writing it all off, based on a VERY EARLY testing phase on Test Center.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It's on testing to find out, what will work and what will not. It's not the full system, only a part of it. When this part works without bugs and imbalance, they will add part 2 still on TC.

The better feedback, the faster and the better goes the testing. Try post your feedback in a way, useful for the devs.

You can't just trash the system as you only have seen a part of it yet.

The interacting with blue is a part of testing too and I like the way they become orange if they somewhat take part in the battle. I guess it can be a problem with blue blockers in town fights but one solution could be, if a blue login to war zone or enter war zone, he will get a system warning, telling him, he have 3 min to leave town. If he do not leave, he will become orange to all VvV until the battle are done.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a blue cant really attack any VvV character without getting a murder count right? im assuming if not opted into the system the non VvV blue would see blue, red, but no orange. attacking a VvV blue should result in a murder count if your not in the system. If im wrong please inform me, because if so that could be a major problem.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The note say:
Any non-VvV player that aggresses or performs a beneficial act on a VvV player will flag orange to all VvV players.
To get a murderer count, he need more than just attack, he need to kill the one he attack. It remind about the rules we had in the Hero/Evil system we had on Siege, there someone attacking or looting an evil would be flaged to evil for 20 min if I remember right

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes but you dont get a murder count for VvV / faction combat. Im saying for that initial kill, there should be a murder count if the attack / kill that "oranges" you into the system is a blue. otherwise whats to prevent non VvV blues from hanging around, waiting till a VvV player is low on health, then attacking when at 5percent health with no murder count.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cant test much there isn't many people on however some initial minor comments:

• The timer gump is too large id recommend a minimize button which just displays the progress bar?
  • The warning about the guild seiging the town is too rapid i get about 3 instances on the screen at least let it timeout before the next one pops up.
  • Message for none VvV warning of entering a battle ground?
  • I'm currently spamming in my guild chat i presume this will be altered to faction chat when the time comes?
As i said minor...

I do have some questions like how do the scores work but i guess we shall get to that nearer the end.

Ta!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a question about this system. Whats to stop someone from exploiting the point system in the slow times of the game? Can someone login multiple accounts in different guilds and just boost themselves up in points? Just like the old faction point system people exploited. I would go test it but I have zero desire to even bother with it. Instanced PVP is not what makes UO what it is. To me all this is, is a guardless Yew Gate fight with stat loss involved. Just wanted to know if anyone has checked into the muliple accounts thing.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id probably put diminishing returns of points from killing the same character. 100% first time, then down from there within a certain timespan or same battle. Yes anyone with multiple accounts can exploit the points just like factions, but this would at least minimize that.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please post issues related to VvV Phase I - Thanks!
The Faction Gear-O-Matic is not awarding faction gear that doesn't belong to anyone but Kyronix
My faction gear expired and I get this message when trying to obtain more:

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we eliminate blue NPCs or make them invulnerable when a town is picked for a VvV battle? Area affects will hit blue NPCs.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we eliminate blue NPCs or make them invulnerable when a town is picked for a VvV battle? Area affects will hit blue NPCs.

Good point... I 2nd this.

I also think it's very important to list the rewards for winning the VvV town fights. I know that for most PvPers they want to spend their time PvPing but when that isn't an option they tend to spend their time doing the stuff they NEED to do to be able to PvP more. Aka make $$$ since that directly equates into the quality of gear your PvP char has access to. So...... that means that if I'm looking to PvP and there is none obviously happening I'm going to try the VvV town system, but HOW LONG I spend doing it is going to depend on what the rewards are outside of the possibility of getting some PvP. Ultimately if the VvV town system ins't making me $$$ or helping to support my PvP habit I'm only going to sit there and it for a short period of time HOPING to get PvP before I decide there is none to be had and move off to other Methods of spending my time that are better able to further my PvPing.... Shame arty's / making $$$ etc. I mean I still do Baracoons for the possibly of getting a fight, but honestly if we pop the coon and let it sit for 5 min after spamming general chat and don't get a fight well...... at that point I assume no one is coming and just kill it and move on to non-PvP stuff... The goal is PvP but that can only happen in certain areas so unless the VvV town system MAKES people want to stay even when PvP isn't happening then ultimately PvP WONT be happening there bc it's not worth being there in the 1st place.....

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are we now in phase three? Or will be come Monday?
We are in the midst of Phase III. The next update to TC1 will have a big update for VvV including rewards, join/quit and such. We're planning a stress test for TC1 after we publish, keep on eye on UO.com for details.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are in the midst of Phase III. The next update to TC1 will have a big update for VvV including rewards, join/quit and such. We're planning a stress test for TC1 after we publish, keep on eye on UO.com for details.
Thank you!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Kyronix

In Moonglow sometimes the priests appear in the flowerbed where you can't reach them.

I've also had the little sigil thing on the gump light up briefly then disappear even though no one stole it (or at least, it didn't give a message if someone did).

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

In Moonglow sometimes the priests appear in the flowerbed where you can't reach them.

I've also had the little sigil thing on the gump light up briefly then disappear even though no one stole it (or at least, it didn't give a message if someone did).
Noted.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Good seeing and working with you on Test this morning!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Kyronix

There was a battle in Minoc that ended. Moved on to Moonglow then Jhelom.

The arrow from Minoc stayed on my screen throughout, even when I went back to Luna between battles. See the bottom left corner of this picture:

I had this happen a couple days ago as well but I don't remember the cities. Relogging seems to fix it.

Also when a battle finishes, I try to recall out and don't get a message that I can't, but it takes a couple minutes for my character to actually teleport out, during which I can still run around and attempt to recall some more.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Kyronix

Is there a difference in turning in a sigil to the virtue or vice priest? It doesn't seem to matter which one you turn in to.

Also, is there a point to the virtue and vice robes? They are 5k silver each, and my husband thought it would be a 15th anniversary robe replica like the priests wear (the thought of which I wasn't thrilled about) but it is just a hooded robe that you can't dye and that has no stats. Most people have a stat item in that slot. That's a lot of silver for something that appears pretty useless.

Same for the cannon. You handed me some to try, and after trying them I wouldn't bother buying one, at least not at 5k silver. The mana spike, while obviously not great for me personally as a stealth thief, seemed a much better expenditure of silver. Stealth is my best (and really my ONLY) defense, and the mana spike disables it temporarily.

I tried some traps and using remove trap to get more points. My husband placed a total of 10 traps, and at 100 remove trap I failed every single remove trap attempt. Complete waste of skill points.

The stat loss potions are going to be indispensable for thieves--when we go into stat loss we can't detect the sigils.

This is all from the perspective of a stealth thief, mind you. I'm not much for pvp combat (nor any good at it) but this will certainly drag my Trammy self out to give VvV a shot with my stealth thief.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Is there a difference in turning in a sigil to the virtue or vice priest? It doesn't seem to matter which one you turn in to.

Also, is there a point to the virtue and vice robes? They are 5k silver each, and my husband thought it would be a 15th anniversary robe replica like the priests wear (the thought of which I wasn't thrilled about) but it is just a hooded robe that you can't dye and that has no stats. Most people have a stat item in that slot. That's a lot of silver for something that appears pretty useless.

Same for the cannon. You handed me some to try, and after trying them I wouldn't bother buying one, at least not at 5k silver. The mana spike, while obviously not great for me personally as a stealth thief, seemed a much better expenditure of silver. Stealth is my best (and really my ONLY) defense, and the mana spike disables it temporarily.

I tried some traps and using remove trap to get more points. My husband placed a total of 10 traps, and at 100 remove trap I failed every single remove trap attempt. Complete waste of skill points.

The stat loss potions are going to be indispensable for thieves--when we go into stat loss we can't detect the sigils.

This is all from the perspective of a stealth thief, mind you. I'm not much for pvp combat (nor any good at it) but this will certainly drag my Trammy self out to give VvV a shot with my stealth thief.
Right now there is no difference between giving sigils to the Vice or Virtue priest. Part of that is so we could leave it open ended for roleplay if players chose to express that in their own way, and the other is to have something link into for future content.

As for the cannons, a well coordinated use of cannons via stealthers could make for some very interesting interactions at the altars. Look forward to seeing how their use plays out.

Were you wearing gloves while attempting to disarm the trap? How far away were you? These come into play with remove trap success chances.

Thanks for the feedback about the robes. Will have a conversation with the rest of the team about it.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Right now there is no difference between giving sigils to the Vice or Virtue priest. Part of that is so we could leave it open ended for roleplay if players chose to express that in their own way, and the other is to have something link into for future content.

As for the cannons, a well coordinated use of cannons via stealthers could make for some very interesting interactions at the altars. Look forward to seeing how their use plays out.

Were you wearing gloves while attempting to disarm the trap? How far away were you? These come into play with remove trap success chances.

Thanks for the feedback about the robes. Will have a conversation with the rest of the team about it.
Yes I was wearing gloves, and I was usually one tile away. I'll try again without gloves and different distances.

EDIT: Ok I see now. Hmm. Still uncertain if that is worth 100 skill points...

And yes the cannons could be used in neat ways but I think they cost way too much for what you get right now. At least for me!

Thanks.

PS. Don't make the robe a 15th anniversary robe clone please. ;)

Last edited: